Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Opens Dozens of Additional New World Servers to Ease Capacity Issues | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageAmazon Opens Dozens of Additional New World Servers to Ease Capacity Issues | MMORPG.com

Facing long launch queues, Amazon has opened dozens of new servers for New World players, and is offering free character transfers to help the login issues.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Opening new servers will only do so much. Now, they need to focus on making the capacity for existing servers larger. People want to play with their guild and friends. 2,000 people per server is not enough.
    maskedweaselDrius75Asm0deus
    --------------------------------------------
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    The word "server" in this context really just means "instance". They instance the whole game.
    [Deleted User]

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    olepi said:
    The word "server" in this context really just means "instance". They instance the whole game.

Is it an instance though? Just a small server.
    --------------------------------------------
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    olepi said:

They are functioning the same as instances. 2,000 per instance.
    Scot

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    ANd looks like New World is burning more GPU's.. GG Amazon!
    McSleazKidRisk
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    hoenens1 said:
    I believe the verdict was the evga video cards were at fault, not the game. 
    UrdenMcSleazKidRiskTokken

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    hoenens1 said:
    I believe the verdict was the evga video cards were at fault, not the game. 
    It's still burning some GPUs.

But at the moment it looks like nothing more than a demanding game with more than a million players and computer parts not lasting forever. By law of averages any hugely popular game breaks a large number of computers each day.
    KidRisk

• jungmtsjungmts Member UncommonPosts: 42

Stizzled said:

Opening new servers will only do so much. Now, they need to focus on making the capacity for existing servers larger. People want to play with their guild and friends. 2,000 people per server is not enough.

It certainly feels like enough when playing the game. There are people in every questing spot, all over the landscape competing for resources, and all of the towns are packed.

The world isn't that big. I feel that increasing the cap would only lead to instancing/phasing, potentially making it even more difficult to group up and play with friends.

It's probably due to everyone starting at the same time though, fewer people will be in those starting areas in a few weeks.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2021
    olepi said:
    olepi said:

They are functioning the same as instances. 2,000 per instance.
    Have MMO severs ever been anything but an instance?

500+ servers now, BTW.
    WellspringKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,128
    Opening up a billion servers isn't going to solve this game's glaring longevity issue if progression is bound to server. I'm still trying to find someone who could tell me how progression is saved and stored.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Having a server cap of 2k players, while there is a q upwards of 2.5k for a server, opening new servers is not a solution.
    They need to increase server cap to 5k, and lock original servers, so no new characters can be made on them, forcing new accounts to the newer servers.
    That will alleviate the q issue.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    mmolou said:
    Having a server cap of 2k players, while there is a q upwards of 2.5k for a server, opening new servers is not a solution.
    They need to increase server cap to 5k, and lock original servers, so no new characters can be made on them, forcing new accounts to the newer servers.
    That will alleviate the q issue.

Indeed they need to raise the cap. 

Logged in this morn around 8:45am/9am and was 252 in queue I expect it to get much worse considering it's friday and the weekend is going to start.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Doesn't solve the problem as those servers too get queue times and I'm not starting over a 3rd, 4th time hoping for the best. Rolled an "alt" on a lower pop server just so I could play since I can't transfer.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LumeriaLumeria Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited October 2021
    Happy for AGS that this game is so popular to have server issues but I do not understand how they did not know when it was obvious in beta tests? I thought that was what beta tests were for? How about wish-lists & preorders?

There is just no way in this data driven world that they did not have a fair idea based on the amount of servers then added. Something has to change in the industry where developers can have servers on standby without massive costs in case they aren't used to switch them on in an instance not a day later.

Stop holding customers time hostage please which is often more important than money, cheers.

(Third reroll to adjust with company.)
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Akulas said:
    Doesn't solve the problem as those servers too get queue times and I'm not starting over a 3rd, 4th time hoping for the best. Rolled an "alt" on a lower pop server just so I could play since I can't transfer.
    True,  makes me kinda angry tbh because I hate having to name search every time I want to create a new character,  and many of the alt names I want are already taken.  I just hate how they did that,  I end up sticking it out in queues just so I can play the characters that have the names I was able to reserve.  

• SKurjSKurj Member UncommonPosts: 156
    330 pm, of the 2 servers i am on, only olympus had a queue and it was 122
    Torval said:
    Free server transfers are supposed to be coming next week. I'm hoping the server caps aren't increased beyond 2500 because that is just too crowded for the map and content. This isn't WoW with instances all over the place. Much of the content is open world.
    They increased to 2250 already.

Queue was moving very fast on Ferri yesterday though. I tried to log in around 7:00 PM, the queue was 1200+ and I got in less than an hour later. That's not bad for prime time on day 3.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Game must be doing really well if there are this many servers.
    Kyleran

edited October 2021
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Free server transfers are supposed to be coming next week. I'm hoping the server caps aren't increased beyond 2500 because that is just too crowded for the map and content. This isn't WoW with instances all over the place. Much of the content is open world.
    They increased to 2250 already.

Queue was moving very fast on Ferri yesterday though. I tried to log in around 7:00 PM, the queue was 1200+ and I got in less than an hour later. That's not bad for prime time on day 3.
    I moved to a medium pop server and am loving it. I fired up the game and just logged in. There is a lot more breathing room to forage mats or farm mobs or quests. None of the regions have been claimed yet and people are just moving along at a normal pace.

The decision was made for me when on Wednesday when there was a 5 hour queue after work. I deleted and rerolled and had surpassed my progress on Ferri by the time I would have actually gotten into that server to start playing.

At this point in my MMO "career" I'm more suited to a chill experience, relaxing pace, and playing the long game. I appreciate the opportunity Harbingers offered, but I found it didn't really suit me.
    Oh I get it. I'll probably want to just chill too eventually but for now I'm going for the driven experience lol. Retirement has many perks and no lifing the game like it was 1999 is one of them if I want it.

Marauders declared war on our 2nd territory, Cutlass Keys. I'll get my first War experience defending tomorrow at 4:00 PM. :)
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2021
    Torval said:
    Let me know how the PvP goes. I'm curious how you feel it compares to ESO and others. Those damn Marauders, they just want to see the world burn.
    Well the Marauders were totally disorganized. They have to take all 3 points to be able to attack the fort itself and they took none - didn't even capture any of them to even 1/4 capture lol.

It was actually too easy.

As to how Wars compare to ESO PvP. They're lesser, poor cousins,  than Cyrodiil PvP.

Wars are an instanced battleground with a 30 minute time limit so the comparison would be with ESO BGs and I was never a fan of those - this is better than those I guess.

The key difference though is that you're fighting for your town and territory perks - perks that matter - so that adds a level of importance to participation that doesn't exist in ESO where it's all just for funsies.

Post edited by Iselin on
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Some background on why the server queue mess happened:

PCG: What was the biggest unforeseen problem?

RL: Absolutely it was the scale of demand. Which on the one hand, great! We're enthused by player interest in the game. But we didn't have anywhere near this strong an indication from pre-orders or beta—we were happy with both, to be clear, but the numbers grew so quickly and so close to launch it caught us by surprise, I have to admit.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-reflects-on-new-world-launch-the-numbers-grew-so-quickly-and-so-close-to-launch-it-caught-us-by-surprise/

[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Logged in today around 3:30pm was 552 in queue and right now 45mins later I am sitting at 250.

Guess it not too bad right now. 

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.