Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Will Be Playable Only On PC For the Foreseeable Future | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World Will Be Playable Only On PC For the Foreseeable Future | MMORPG.com

New World has been live for a day, and there's already feedback and requests for console and controller support. Yet, PC will remain the focus for now.

Read the full story here

Babuinix

Comments

• mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Is it? I dont think New World playable on PC. I paid 45 quid to see a queue window. In my opinion no, New World is not available on PC either.
    KidRiskLucixDhampirScotTacticalZombehBrainyTruvidienn
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    mussolini said:
    Is it? I dont think New World playable on PC. I paid 45 quid to see a queue window. In my opinion no, New World is not available on PC either.
    Were you really expecting launch day not to have queues? Especially with a game this hyped up? I don't think I've ever encountered an MMO that had a launch that didn't have some form of queue if it was even mildly popular. 
    KidRiskDekahnMcSleazDhampirTacticalZombehVrika
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,456
    edited September 2021
    A very interesting decision. From a development standpoint, they wouldn't suffer from as many hurdles as say FFXIV does, but I do say its too early to tell how the popularity of this title will hold to adhere to such a statement. Only time will tell I suppose. For the things I currently want in a MMORPG, it does provide that, but its not for everyone, that's for sure.

mussolini said:

Were you really expecting launch day not to have queues? Especially with a game this hyped up? I don't think I've ever encountered an MMO that had a launch that didn't have some form of queue if it was even mildly popular. 

Today is not launch day. They knew the hype, they knew how many copies sold. Server population limit is 3000? If you see on every server has more queue than its full available population and you are the Amazon, I think not so hard to open tons of servers, increase limit just with 20-25%, etc. We talk about Amazon, not gameforge or gamigo. Again, today is not the launch day and they are still cannot control anything.
    KidRisk[Deleted User]DekahnMcSleazmmolou
  • blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144
    edited September 2021
    At this point if someone is complaining about cues then the world they are on is an overpopulated server. My friends and I almost waited at week but decided to buy it last night. There were a dozen or more servers with no cue and only Medium pop. Heck there were dozens of high pop servers with little to no cue. Only several with over 1,000 cue, which I assume are the original servers or servers with twitch streamers on them.

So your choice is wait in cue for overpopulated server or move to a server with no cues. Amazon is even letting you have free character transfers if you are so far already that it matters. I just wanted to let others know that it isn't bad at all if you don't have to play on an over populated server. There are plenty to choose from. All I had seen if people bitching about cues, but I see they are perhaps unwilling to use another server.
    I trying to play on an eu server, region has plenty of servers but 2k+ queue on all now and its only 5:11pm here, so people just getting home from school and work I guess. So maybe in your area that option is ok but in EU the situation is very bad and disappointing.
    JeroKane
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    From what I hear the US has a different experience than the EU.
    The US servers have ques as well but they are bareable while In the Eu last I checked today there were servers with 6000k+ ques
    KyleranJeroKaneTacticalZombeh
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    There is server with no queue, people are Deliberately choosing the high population server.
    Dev said they will open transfer for free probably once everything is stable. Just play on low pop for now and then transfer in higher later.
    DekahnJeroKaneTacticalZombeh

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• coercer02coercer02 Member UncommonPosts: 53

Remali said:

The US servers have ques as well but they are bareable while In the Eu last I checked today there were servers with 6000k+ ques

El Dorado and Camelot on US West had 10k+ queues.. but at that point, players are at fault in my opinion. Why do you want to follow streamers to those particular servers is beyond me.
    I queue up in the morning for 30-40 minutes and just stay logged in the whole day.
    Kyleran
  • LucixLucix Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited September 2021

mussolini said:

FFXIV had zero queues on launch day.
    DekahnIselin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Lucix said:

mussolini said:

Err, they eventually shut it down for a year or so due to lack of interest and had to be re-launched, so no surprise there I guess.
    RemaliTacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Lucix said:

mussolini said:

That game also was really bad on launch day. To the point where they made it free to play for months before shutting it down to release 2.0
    Asm0deus
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 557
    coercer02 said:

Remali said:

El Dorado and Camelot on US West had 10k+ queues.. but at that point, players are at fault in my opinion. Why do you want to follow streamers to those particular servers is beyond me.
    I queue up in the morning for 30-40 minutes and just stay logged in the whole day.
    Yggdrasil, which is where my group and I had intended on playing, was also seeing 10K queues at one point.

The server we are on now has zero queues and still feels plenty populated.
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Yeah, if a PC game still had some glaring optimization issues and were still overheating folks PC's post-launch; I wouldn't want it on console neither.
    KyleranIselin

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161

Neoyoshi said:

Yeah, if a PC game still had some glaring optimization issues and were still overheating folks PC's post-launch; I wouldn't want it on console neither.

I was about to say this. With the issues plaguing PC performance, it was always kind of obvious it would never be developed for consoles... At least not for a loooong time.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    sk8chalif said:
    There is server with no queue, people are Deliberately choosing the high population server.
    Dev said they will open transfer for free probably once everything is stable. Just play on low pop for now and then transfer in higher later.
    Maybe in the US, but not in Europe. All servers have large queues. Unless you play in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping perhaps lol. /shrug
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    sk8chalif said:
    Only one, that will last like a minute before its player heavy? :)
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

mussolini said:

yea, you gotta keep in mind, this is done by a minor company, who definately couldn't afford propper analytics of their player base OR servers just on a hinch. sorry, but that argument is old and outdated af, especially considering how much money they have, and how many servers they actually OWN THEMSELVES

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I got unlucky and chose Utopia which just coincidently is the number 1 highest Queue population. Unless there is a free transfer option right now that's where I'll be staying regardless of being able to get in or not.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    A question doe anyone.  How is the UI for New World?  Is it a console friendly command setup or is it more full-keyboard PC friendly?   Making a PC version with a console interface but no console version is idiotic, almost like it has already been ported to the PC.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Mendel said:
    A question doe anyone.  How is the UI for New World?  Is it a console friendly command setup or is it more full-keyboard PC friendly?   Making a PC version with a console interface but no console version is idiotic, almost like it has already been ported to the PC.

IMO, the UI is phenomenal. Very clean and modern, yet it is still very much a PC MMORPG. It's what you'd expect to see from an original AAA MMORPG made in 2021. Not a WOW clone or a crowdfunded MMORPG.  

The chat window UI is particularly great. The design -- how the names are placed below the message text and the way the different chat channels are split up -- looks great.

There isn't really any unnecessary clutter. It is action combat, so your screen isn't full of hot bar buttons. It's pretty customizable too, where you can toggle what is shown on the screen, although I don't think you can move stuff around. The menus are very much created for using a mouse. Not streamlined for console at all.

You can play using an xbox controller (combat mostly?). But you cannot rebind any keys on controllers. Mouse + Keyboard you can rebind keys. It does not seem like console was their focus, but more of an afterthought for people who require a controller to play.

Mendel
    --------------------------------------------
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Mendel said:

New World's UI would work perfectly fine on console, though I expect they'd probs want to do something about chat. The game is pretty simple, so all the important commands would be easily mapped to a controller.

The UI is pretty badly designed if I am honest, but the graphics they used look fresh and the game is so simple that the UI ended up pretty minimalistic. Amazon made some bad choices on sizing of UI elements, and they wasted a lot of space, plus put in a bunch of unnecessary clicks to get through some menus. There were no customisation options that I could find to fix any of these problems ourselves.

Back to the broader topic at hand, as a member of the PC Master Race, I'm a fan of keeping things PC exclusive in order to get the absolute best experience. At the same time, this is a game designed for consoles, so it makes little sense to me to not be getting ready for a console launch. ESO made the same mistake when it launched, and things didn't go well as a result.
    Mendel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mendel said:

New World's UI would work perfectly fine on console, though I expect they'd probs want to do something about chat. The game is pretty simple, so all the important commands would be easily mapped to a controller.

The UI is pretty badly designed if I am honest, but the graphics they used look fresh and the game is so simple that the UI ended up pretty minimalistic. Amazon made some bad choices on sizing of UI elements, and they wasted a lot of space, plus put in a bunch of unnecessary clicks to get through some menus. There were no customisation options that I could find to fix any of these problems ourselves.

Back to the broader topic at hand, as a member of the PC Master Race, I'm a fan of keeping things PC exclusive in order to get the absolute best experience. At the same time, this is a game designed for consoles, so it makes little sense to me to not be getting ready for a console launch. ESO made the same mistake when it launched, and things didn't go well as a result.

I've always thought ESO's or Conan Exiles or No Mans Sky's basic layouts were a controller first, keyboard be damned kind of design.  They work, but don't really utilize the keyboard.

It's easy to understand no console version if they interface was geared to a keyboard. 

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    blbeta said:
    At this point if someone is complaining about cues then the world they are on is an overpopulated server. My friends and I almost waited at week but decided to buy it last night. There were a dozen or more servers with no cue and only Medium pop. Heck there were dozens of high pop servers with little to no cue. Only several with over 1,000 cue, which I assume are the original servers or servers with twitch streamers on them.

So your choice is wait in cue for overpopulated server or move to a server with no cues. Amazon is even letting you have free character transfers if you are so far already that it matters. I just wanted to let others know that it isn't bad at all if you don't have to play on an over populated server. There are plenty to choose from. All I had seen if people bitching about cues, but I see they are perhaps unwilling to use another server.
    Are server transfers available currently? Because how do you do it if so.  If they are not then your point is completely worthless.
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    coercer02 said:

LOL yeah its the players fault for actually trying to play a game they paid for at launch.  Blame the players for this good one.

If these servers were available at launch, then maybe you would have a point.  But many people went to the lowest pop server available at the time, and moved entire guilds to that server.  You cant just tell everyone to destroy their character and move somewhere else, its too hard to coordinate.  IF server transfers was available day 1 maybe you would have a point.  But since they are not, basically people are being punished for playing at launch additionally unless they destroy their company and character from the original server they are locked out of that also.