Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I will be passing on Vanguard..

Comments

• DentoDento Member UncommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by Etcarr

Vanguard is not gonna suck because Sigil has said they will not be using instancing.....
    The point that I am trying to make is this.... If a game does not have instanced raid encounters and players must compete for desired encounters, the clear advantage goes to those that can start first and mobilize faster.  

I understand what you are saying, but if you had paid more attention to Brad and Jeff interviews, you would have known that the problem has been solved in a different way.

They said that camping won't be like EQ.
    First of all the Boss or Named is not going to spawn in the same place, so guild waiting for hours on the spot to get hold of the mob are things of the past, you need to look for it.
    Second, the Boss will be only targeteable by the group/raid that activate a certain item that make the mob spawn.
    Others can see the Mob but they cannot target him.
    So there will not be Named theft anymore.
    As you can see Sigil has realised how frustrating was for small guilds to see their mob stolen by more powerful Guilds, and has done something about in an alternative way, without turning to massive instancing (that's called collateral thinking).

That's the reason I like Vanguard, Brad & Co learned from EQ what worked and what didn't and they gonna change it for the better, without ruining immersion and diminishing the challenge factor.

Give those guys a chance, they really know what they are doing.

Wow I can't wait to play this game image

With solutions like this I'm sold.

I Can't wait to play this game!!!!

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214
    You are just mad you can play AoC because you are kiddies, the Vanguard target audience.
  • angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by krenalor
    You are just mad you can play AoC because you are kiddies, the Vanguard target audience.

I'm done with you and this thread, you have done nothing but prove my point that you are just here to troll. you do not want to have a discussion about vanguard, you are just here to try and push people's buttons so you can get them to lose their temper and report them.

get a life buddy, you complain about "kiddies" but i think it is you that needs to do the growing up...::::12::::::12::::::12::::::12::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• HelternHeltern Member Posts: 193

I am waiting for Warhammer, if it was Warhammer 40k, it would really be a done deal. Vanguard won't matter in the MMORPG world. It won't attract anywhere close to the numbers DDO, AoC, Warhammer, etc, etc will attract. Maybe the game world will finally flush Brad, he is not a good game designer.

Good your gone, take your alt egos with you, its YOU that is posting under multiple names! Same sorry whining message, go away. You wouldn't be reportable for anything if you didn't DESERVE it, another reason to despise Vanguard's players base!

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by Heltern

Vanguard won't matter in the MMORPG world. It won't attract anywhere close to the numbers DDO, AoC, Warhammer, etc, etc.

I'm not going to bother reply most of crap, you're just looking to get a rise out of people, but I will bet you ANYTHING that Vanguard destroyes DDO in amount of subscribers.
  • Kem0sabeKem0sabe Member Posts: 443

From what i have played of the 2 stress tests and the current DDO European beta, i have to say that DDO will be a niche game at best.

Its a completly diferent aproach to mmorpg´s in general, one where the community is non existent. Let me explain how it works, you head to a tavern, spam LFG *insert quest name here*, you find a few people, then you head to the instance entrance, go inside, complete the instance, click the Finished button, it will teleport you back outside, rinse and repeat untill you get to leve 10. Thats it, nothing more to see in DDO. I pretty much compare DDO to the old Diablo style of multiplayer, you meet a few people in a chat room (tavern) and then head out to an instance, thats it.

Now vanguard is completly dependent on its community, everything in the game revolves around the relationships you create with other players, from crafting to hunting, to player owned towns, etc. Granted that in the current beta phase the community is not that large 20 to 30 people online, but aready its enough to get a good feeling for the game... or so i have heard, dont want to be breaking any NDA´s. ::::01::

All ur Mountain Dew is belong to me.

• KrisppKrispp Member Posts: 13

"http://eqdailygrind.blogspot.com/2004/10/i-actually-have-2-friends-that-are.html

PLEASE, DDO will blow Vangarbage away."                  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First,

that link has nothing to do with your post other than to prove that EQ is extreamly addictive and that it has extreamly loong longivity. People with no self control get really addicted. That just proves our point that EQ was such an imersive and good game, therefore brad is a good designer and actually does know how to make games regardless of what you are saying.

Originally posted by Kem0sabe

From what i have played of the 2 stress tests and the current DDO European beta, i have to say that DDO will be a niche game at best.
    Its a completly diferent aproach to mmorpg´s in general, one where the community is non existent. Let me explain how it works, you head to a tavern, spam LFG *insert quest name here*, you find a few people, then you head to the instance entrance, go inside, complete the instance, click the Finished button, it will teleport you back outside, rinse and repeat untill you get to leve 10. Thats it, nothing more to see in DDO. I pretty much compare DDO to the old Diablo style of multiplayer, you meet a few people in a chat room (tavern) and then head out to an instance, thats it.
    Now vanguard is completly dependent on its community, everything in the game revolves around the relationships you create with other players, from crafting to hunting, to player owned towns, etc. Granted that in the current beta phase the community is not that large 20 to 30 people online, but aready its enough to get a good feeling for the game... or so i have heard, dont want to be breaking any NDA´s. ::::01::

second,

BURN, kem0sabe just proved you completely wrong, even though you could just say its his opinion, but id say:

Guy's opinion playing/played both DDO and Vanguard beta>some little trolls opinion with nothing constructive to say other than "vanguard will suck".

NUF SAID!

And ditto on this comment: "I will bet you ANYTHING that Vanguard destroyes DDO in amount of subscribers."
    AMEN

• AkribosAkribos Member Posts: 16

First of all, the guys over at Sigil have stated that they don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater... certain things will not be part of Vanguard. One of those things is instancing.
    Well, I do NOT agree that instancing is a bad thing. IF a game was created with no instancing, the servers would need to be very localized so that players from +6 timezones do not get an unfair advantage to the game content. We learned in EQ1 that it is simply a bad design when players with a timezone advantage are able to have more fun and see more game content than other players.
    Second of all, travel. Sigil says that travel should be  fun, not trival. While I agree that SoE went overboard with portals and "hub zones" in EQ1, it is not my idea of fun having to hack through tons of content to get to any destination. EQ1 had classes (druid and wizard) that where rendered obolete by the hub zones. But to make all travel "interesting" by any standard will make the game too time intensive. 
    Thirdly... if the forums over at www.vanguardsoh.com are any indication of the type of players that this game will attract, count me out. I am not a power gamer with no life outside of the game. The Vanguard message forums are full of hard core gamers... and there is no way I want to get sucked into a compitition with hard core gamers. I learned my lesson with EQ1. No thanks, not making that mistake again.

As you may or not know, this game is intended for the "core gamer" wich is absolutely not a power gamer. In fact, the inteded design is that the average player will put a couple hours here and there during the week and will be able to play more extended sessions at the weekends.

Personally, I dont think they will make travel in a way that you have to do the same over, over and over again to get to known and already cleared by you zones.

-

• FeldronFeldron Member UncommonPosts: 337

yeah ddo, is not great at all and while i am sure there will be a bunch of people who try it out its not really that good its just quest and with instances its going to lack community its a bad system for an mmo

so vangaurd has nothing to worry about game like ddo and guild wars. both those game play differently and really are good mmo's. Also then wow plays far differently too i mean max lvling in 2weeks pls, that not a real game.

Then as far as the older mmo's out there well they are older and there is a large number of player who are looking to move on to a new game but until vanguard comes out there will be no new games that are good.

So vangaurd will have a large community when it comes out because anyone who has played a real mmo before and wanted more will be playing it, and then you will have the other player who come and jion it as a new game. So alround Vangaurd will do fine and will have a higher core base then most games out there.

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

*this post is directed towards the people who are flaming VGSOH*

I am not sure what to say towards a WoW player saying that the VGSOH community is bad... but I will say this, you can go to the VGSOH forum and actually learn something... What do you learn from reading the wow forums? That every class needs a buff or is broken? that chuck norris could cure cancer (don’t ask me, ask them)? I for one hope that the 5 million stay in WoW but we know they wont.

What I don’t understand is, why do people feel the need to grief in another board. You dont like instances? cool, all the new mmos out are instance heavy... you have alot of selection. We dont, we dont want to create an alt after 2 months , we want a game where we can work on a character for at least a year... we want depth. A world where everyone has to work together, a world where everything we do matters.

AND that is where WoW fails, nothing you do in WoW means anything. Everything is given away, nothing is earned.

Speaking for myself, in terms of instance VS grounds, ground’s is great when like others have said, when there is enough meat to feed everyone. Instances IMHO is the easy way out but there are games, like FFXI that need to instance there major grounds (King HNMS) simply because there game is broken.

Bottom line, I am looking forward to this game, if you are happy in w/e game your playing that’s great but the fact alone that you come to another games forums and grief/flame proves that your not happy… in fact your something different.

I don’t see vanguard ppl going to WoW forums and flaming, that alone should speak to the discrepancy in the maturity level of a game “like” WoW.  

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Krispp

"http://eqdailygrind.blogspot.com/2004/10/i-actually-have-2-friends-that-are.html

First,
    that link has nothing to do with your post other than to prove that EQ is extreamly addictive and that it has extreamly loong longivity. People with no self control get really addicted. That just proves our point that EQ was such an imersive and good game, therefore brad is a good designer and actually does know how to make games regardless of what you are saying.

second,

BURN, kem0sabe just proved you completely wrong, even though you could just say its his opinion, but id say:

Guy's opinion playing/played both DDO and Vanguard beta>some little trolls opinion with nothing constructive to say other than "vanguard will suck".

NUF SAID!

And ditto on this comment: "I will bet you ANYTHING that Vanguard destroyes DDO in amount of subscribers."
    AMEN

BET YOU, put up or shut up! After 3 months we compare the numbers of subscribers between the two. When Vanguard loses (and they will) you NEVER post again on this forum! If I lose I never post again, though it's a sure thing I win!

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Heltern

I am waiting for Warhammer, if it was Warhammer 40k, it would really be a done deal. Vanguard won't matter in the MMORPG world. It won't attract anywhere close to the numbers DDO, AoC, Warhammer, etc, etc will attract. Maybe the game world will finally flush Brad, he is not a good game designer.
    Good your gone, take your alt egos with you, its YOU that is posting under multiple names! Same sorry whining message, go away. You wouldn't be reportable for anything if you didn't DESERVE it, another reason to despise Vanguard's players base!

I think I speak for everyone that wants to play Vanguard when I say HURRAY! Be sure to play Warhammer and Conan! In fact, tell your friends to never play Vanguard too! You must excercize extreme dilligence! DO NOT let them play Vanguard, your very life depends on it! Now go far away and never come back and if you get bored of Warhammer and Conan just start a new toon! Or go try WoW!! Bye!!

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by sebbonx

First,

second,

NUF SAID!

AMEN

BET YOU, put up or shut up! After 3 months we compare the numbers of subscribers between the two. When Vanguard loses (and they will) you NEVER post again on this forum! If I lose I never post again, though it's a sure thing I win!

/yawn

edit: lol i trolled a troll...arguments such as this further proves these trolls have no argument or true reasoning behind why they think vanguard will "flop" its sad they keep coming here begging for more attention...image

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

First of all, the guys over at Sigil have stated that they don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater... certain things will not be part of Vanguard. One of those things is instancing.

Seems to me that instancing is just one of those things people are polarized on - you have your opinions, I have mine, and Sigil has thiers. I admire any devs who can stick with thier opinions, even when they're of questionable popularity.

For me, the lack of instancing is something that's attracted me to Vanguard. For one thing, I don't like instancing at all, ever, but more importantly, it suggests to me that the devs have a clear vision of the sort of game they want to create, and aren't going to water it down with the latest trends, trying to please everyone. Most people are too short-sighted to know what the hell they want, and the latest spineless MMOs do a great job of reflecting that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TommyKHartTommyKHart Member UncommonPosts: 294

I normally try to keep out of intancing threads as there is no easy answer to it but this is what ill say.

Instancing is just a cheap way of providing there large amount of gamers with content with as lil effort as possible. Vg is adding game mechanics that instead of dividing the community into smaller groups makes its so you dont have to camp and wont have to compete with pc over mobs.

I dont believe that there is a huge problem with instances but i do believe that it does harm the community. It also ends up with us the players getting far less content, destroys the feeling of a real world and immerson.

The thing about raiding is that raiding as a hole is kinda ****. MMO's use raiding far to much for the end game. Who here really likes doing the same raid over and over. Its just no fun.. not for me anyway. Theres always been complaints about how raiding is unfair. It's my believe that the devs should work to making games that take longer to lvl up and adding more fun content while lvling than relying on a few end game raids.

Also can ppl stop talking about what the majority want. THIS GAME ISN'T FOR THE MAJORITY. It's about what the devs want to make and if you dont like that tough.

• aries62aries62 Member Posts: 2

I dont mind instancing, but I do believe it has its problems, like for example you will have a problem with the drops of good items, all the good items will drop for alot of people. Unlike UO where if a certian mob dropped a certian item it would be rare because well there is only one of thoes mobs a day or every few hours. Not to mention that there is no actual adventure, once you go through 1 you go through them all.

• KrisppKrispp Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by sebbonx

First,

second,

NUF SAID!

AMEN

lol, sorry to bring this thread back but wow, i just saw the DDO numbers over at mmogchart.com and remembered this thread lol.... a mere 90k subs.... -DDO numbers- 

sebbonx if you see this, i laugh at you.

• Neurox1Neurox1 Member Posts: 260

Well, I do NOT agree that instancing is a bad thing. IF a game was created with no instancing, the servers would need to be very localized so that players from +6 timezones do not get an unfair advantage to the game content. We learned in EQ1 that it is simply a bad design when players with a timezone advantage are able to have more fun and see more game content than other players.
    Second of all, travel. Sigil says that travel should be  fun, not trival. While I agree that SoE went overboard with portals and "hub zones" in EQ1, it is not my idea of fun having to hack through tons of content to get to any destination. EQ1 had classes (druid and wizard) that where rendered obolete by the hub zones. But to make all travel "interesting" by any standard will make the game too time intensive. 
    Thirdly... if the forums over at www.vanguardsoh.com are any indication of the type of players that this game will attract, count me out. I am not a power gamer with no life outside of the game. The Vanguard message forums are full of hard core gamers... and there is no way I want to get sucked into a compitition with hard core gamers. I learned my lesson with EQ1. No thanks, not making that mistake again.

id have to disagree with most of this ....

I like having to travel in a "realistic" manner .... I hate portals, I hate instant traveling, unless it fits into the genre ( like a bus or a shuttle for a sci-fi modern setting)

i also disagree with instances ... sure some are good, but keep it to a 20% content maximum ....

the community do seem like a bunch of butthead fanboi's thats true .... they will run at you drooling with hate if you critisize even one aspect of the game ...

but really for me what originally made me start to loose interest, is the absolute generic experience this game offers ... it just uses the core concept of everquest, and adds things in  here and there, stolen from other games ....

also the beta testers ( if you are privaledged to know any or be in beta yourself) know the game in its current state sucks .... it just sucks ... it may get better? who knows .. but right now it sucks. the best part of the game is the player housing and mounts, which arent even that great ....

• mabrylcmabrylc Member Posts: 1

Too intensive for you. I've always enjoyed travel.

If you keep enough content in localized areas in spread out locations the game for many becomes much more epic and much more enjoyable.

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Over the last 6 months, the Official Vanguard Forums had a huge influx of people to their forums, and on top of that, one of the forum moderators (Abigale) was gone on sick leave. The newer members have kinda run amok of the OVF, and the more reserved community members have since moved to the Affiliated Sites. Where you may get blasted by "Hardcore" enthusiats on the OVF, you'd more likely be subject to Roleplaying Propaganda on any of the Affiliate boards.

Hopefully we'll see the effects of Abigale and Glip's beatdown on the OVF soon, and we can get away from the vocal jerks that have temporarily taken over =/

• jonakujonaku Member Posts: 281

i totally agree with your 2nd and 3rd point. all that travelling will only work if you're a powergamer who can play 10 hours a day. and the community at vanguard is crazy. they think that unless you can play 6 hours a day, you're a nub and should be playing WOW instead. you just don't want to hang out with peopel like that.
  • Ake_GamerAke_Gamer Member Posts: 112

After the honeymoon you are left with end-game and the community. Sadly the trend is towards time consuming raiding and immature playerbase. Mature gamers are starting to shun these environments and will exc;ude themselves in the communities that exhibit WoW Barrens culture.

Dec 20,1999: AC1(DT).Since then:DAoC,SB,AC2,L2,EvE,WoW,SoR
    ====================
    Currently playing: ArchLord - L58 Knight
    LoTRo - L13 Dwarf Guardian

• vendrisvendris Member Posts: 246
    No expansion planned?  The non instanced land in the expansion is supposed to be larger than the original two continents combined.  Look, I don't even like WoW, but just outright lying about a game because you don't like it is stupid.

Originally posted by Zvorak

If the raid bosses are free for all, then count me out of vanguard, i dont have the inclination for another EverCAmp game. Many of us played eq, can you trully say that it was justified or fair to have raid content like that, content that the vast majority of the Paying player base couldnt acess unless they were part of one of the "1337" guilds?
    There is no justification for any of the future mmorpg´s to have raids or end game content that is not availble on demand for players, the 24/7 camp game style is old and uninspired.
    Of course, vanguard is still a year off and there hasnt been any official owrd on this, so im possibly jumping to conclusions, but i hope the devs get one thing strait, if they go with the elite camper gameplay of everquest for endgame content, this game is going to flop in such a way that it will make AC2 look good, remmenber, ppl have played wow, eq2, coh, etc... ppl have seen the future of content on demand, they dont to pay not to play like they used to in EQ or AO.

I dissagree with you 100%  ..!!

Though I am curious of your past experience with MMORPG and your age. Not to hold it against you... but I'd like to know from what fram of mind/refrence your comming from.

I coined the term "Fisher Price MMORPG's" about 3 years ago when beta testing Horizons..... WoW is nothing more than a counsol game like Fable (Peter Molyneux) gone BIG. It's childish, easy and extremely boring...... and get this Kemo its not even been out a year. WoW success can't be registered because people are still trying it and leaving. WoW's turnover the last few month is HUGE. WoWs endgame is NULL.  There not even an expansion planned... juts more instancing.

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Originally posted by vendris
    No expansion planned?  The non instanced land in the expansion is supposed to be larger than the original two continents combined.  Look, I don't even like WoW, but just outright lying about a game because you don't like it is stupid.

Originally posted by Zvorak

If the raid bosses are free for all, then count me out of vanguard, i dont have the inclination for another EverCAmp game. Many of us played eq, can you trully say that it was justified or fair to have raid content like that, content that the vast majority of the Paying player base couldnt acess unless they were part of one of the "1337" guilds?
    There is no justification for any of the future mmorpg´s to have raids or end game content that is not availble on demand for players, the 24/7 camp game style is old and uninspired.
    Of course, vanguard is still a year off and there hasnt been any official owrd on this, so im possibly jumping to conclusions, but i hope the devs get one thing strait, if they go with the elite camper gameplay of everquest for endgame content, this game is going to flop in such a way that it will make AC2 look good, remmenber, ppl have played wow, eq2, coh, etc... ppl have seen the future of content on demand, they dont to pay not to play like they used to in EQ or AO.

I dissagree with you 100%  ..!!

Though I am curious of your past experience with MMORPG and your age. Not to hold it against you... but I'd like to know from what fram of mind/refrence your comming from.

I coined the term "Fisher Price MMORPG's" about 3 years ago when beta testing Horizons..... WoW is nothing more than a counsol game like Fable (Peter Molyneux) gone BIG. It's childish, easy and extremely boring...... and get this Kemo its not even been out a year. WoW success can't be registered because people are still trying it and leaving. WoW's turnover the last few month is HUGE. WoWs endgame is NULL.  There not even an expansion planned... juts more instancing.

Read it again, Sam....he said it hasn't even been out a year, that post is kinda outdated...outdated like, back when there wasn't an expansion announced. GJ