Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World's Soundtrack Inspired By Game Of Thrones, New Details In Extensive Video | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2021 in Videos Discussion

imageNew World's Soundtrack Inspired By Game Of Thrones, New Details In Extensive Video | MMORPG.com

If you think New World's soundtrack has some familiarity to it, you're not alone. In fact, the inspiration for New World's soundtrack comes from one of the most popular fantasy franchises in TV history: Game of Thrones. So much so that the composer on the HBO epic helped create the sound of Amazon's Aeternum, collaborating with Brandon Campbell on the game's soundtrack.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2021
    I love the music and sound in this game. The music gets stuck in my head after logging out, which is a good thing since it means it's memorable. And I love chopping wood and mining just for the sound xD
    [Deleted User]Ageni
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Yeah the sound quality in this game is one of the things that hooked me. It just sounds right.
    [Deleted User]
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I love the music as well. It goes well with the setting and is immersive!
    [Deleted User]Iselin

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The score and soundscape are outstanding in this game. I didn't know about the GOT connection but it makes sense. The main theme kind of stays with you in the same way the GOT theme did.
    [Deleted User]Tokken
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited September 2021
    Torval said:
    I've never watched Game of Thrones (or read the books) so I didn't get the connection. The music and sound in New World is top notch. It really adds a lot to the experience for me.
    This is the GOT theme:

And NW theme. Softer using more woodwinds but catchy in the same way, IMO: 

[Deleted User]Tokken
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    I've never watched Game of Thrones (or read the books) so I didn't get the connection. The music and sound in New World is top notch. It really adds a lot to the experience for me.
    This is the GOT theme:

I can sort of see it.

I mean, Game of Thrones theme is essentially an ostinato, which is a repeated musical figure with a repeating rhythm and it has a percussion that goes along with it.

The new world has that percussion but it seems, at least at the start, it has the drone in the background with the flute and then long low notes in the base.

So I suppose it's the percussive part that is reminiscent of each other.
    IselinScot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    This is the GOT theme:

I miss Game of Thrones...... such a good series and good music!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    This is the GOT theme:

I can sort of see it.

I mean, Game of Thrones theme is essentially an ostinato, which is a repeated musical figure with a repeating rhythm and it has a percussion that goes along with it.

The new world has that percussion but it seems, at least at the start, it has the drone in the background with the flute and then long low notes in the base.

TIL ostinato :)
    SovrathScot

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Sovrath said:

Iselin said:

Torval said:

This is the GOT theme:

I can sort of see it.

Yeah what he said. :)

For us musical philistines it just sounded good up there with some of the best I have heard in MMOs.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    This is the GOT theme:

I can sort of see it.

TIL ostinato :)
    In commoner speak (in rock and roll and pop music) they're called riffs. Think Peter Gunn, a lot of Metallica songs (Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, etc), Aqualung, and tons more.

I'm not musically educated so I had to look up the proper jargon term too. I love it when @Sovrath injects these tidbits and facts.

12Tones on Nebula has a short explanation. https://nebula.app/videos/12tone-working-with-riffs

My favorite person to watch explain this stuff is Adam Neely who is on both YouTube and Nebula. Rick Beato is really good too.
    Thanks. 

And as an added bonus, the cello theme for game of thrones is comprised of the notes from that ostinato (or riff!) but expanded.

So there is an economy in the composition and it's organic as the theme springs from the ostinato once it's established.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited September 2021
    Sovrath said:
    In commoner speak (in rock and roll and pop music) they're called riffs. Think Peter Gunn, a lot of Metallica songs (Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, etc), Aqualung, and tons more.

I'm not musically educated so I had to look up the proper jargon term too. I love it when @Sovrath injects these tidbits and facts.

12Tones on Nebula has a short explanation. https://nebula.app/videos/12tone-working-with-riffs

My favorite person to watch explain this stuff is Adam Neely who is on both YouTube and Nebula. Rick Beato is really good too.
    Thanks. 

And as an added bonus, the cello theme for game of thrones is comprised of the notes from that ostinato (or riff!) but expanded.

So there is an economy in the composition and it's organic as the theme springs from the ostinato once it's established.

I can just imagine Metallica standing around and saying "what we going to call this bit then"? The guy who suggested "an ostinato" got put in the beer barrel, from then on they were "riffs". :)
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Not even music is original for this game. New World... More like Recycled World.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Spiider said:
    Not even music is original for this game. New World... More like Recycled World.
    Oh come on, it's inspired by at best. The number of times I have heard gaming themes with a bit of Lotr tribology in them, that's not happening here.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836