Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There Is Now A Petition To Bring Back The Matrix Online | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageThere Is Now A Petition To Bring Back The Matrix Online | MMORPG.com

The Matrix Resurrections released its first trailer this week and it's causing quite a stir not just for fans of the movie series, but also the long, lost MMO, The Matrix Online. Now some fans are trying to bring back the old MMO to celebrate the fourth installment in the movie series with a Change.org petition.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2021
    “Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you.”
    — The Merovingian, The Matrix Reloaded

He'll be back. :)
    Indaholedragonlee66Roin
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    MXO was a great idea that was poorly executed. It doesn't need to come back, at least in the form it was in. They need something new. 
    RemyVorenderrojoArcueidBaitnessMcSleazIr1shguydragonlee66PirrayaTacticalZombehRoin

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    As with most SOE games, the players of this game were totally dedicated to only this game; even though they were a small base. Some left MMOs all together after it was closed. The same thing happened with Galaxies. I knew of a lot of players that only liked it because it was Star Wars online and could care less about any other MMOs.
    Kyleranmarcjt20Ir1shguy
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I would love them to make a new Matrix Online. As wonky as the first one was, I still played it for a long time. I always thought it would be cool to level up in the Matrix, then end game would be in the real world. Like Neo, you'd figure out how to use Matrix-like powers in the real world through training in the virtual one.
    maskedweasel

Joined - July 2004

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,456
    On the topic of the Matrix, I really hope the Matrix 4 will be good. I loved all of the John Wick movies, so I trust Keanu Reeves, but I still have reservations.
    RemyVorenderAsm0deusSovrathLackingMMOXarko[Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I enjoyed my time in Matrix , was really fun .. WOuld play again
  • UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123
    MXO was my first mmo ever, and it holds an insanely big space in my heart. The game had a sense of community like no other, and the interlock combat system, and the open world, were just a few of the things to name.

I want to reach out to everyone that sees this comment and signs the petition, and ask you to PM me if you would like info on the only real MXO revival project in the works, i will personally send you the links.

This is a great game and a great franchise and i hope they come with something fresh in the mmo department. If they dont theres only limited people trying to keep mxo alive right now.
    Sovrathmaskedweasel
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited September 2021
    Just let it stay dead. The game was horribly broken - I was even a fan and I realized that. The story was subpar and the combat was so bad that, even after the revision, it was still broken. The best thing about the game was the community RP events, and I'm pretty sure that crowd has moved onto other MMOs. 

Sometimes things just don't need to be rebooted. This is one of those times.
    KyleranMendelTacticalZombehRoin
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    A new Matrix Online would be good idea because imho Matrix is really good IP for an online game.

But the old one should stay dead. It wasn't a good enough game to begin with, and now it's also gotten too old.
    KyleranMendelMcSleazTacticalZombeh

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

MXO was a great idea that was poorly executed. It doesn't need to come back, at least in the form it was in. They need something new. 

On one hand I would love to see any setting as unique as MXO again.

On the other, I think it was more "interesting" than "good."

On top of that, after what the Wachowskis did to Cloud Atlas, I don't want to be in the remote vicinity of any of their IPs.

Hopefully this is the beginning of their redemption, and we get some crazy creative entertainment out of it.
    maskedweaselMendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Dattelis said:
    On the topic of the Matrix, I really hope the Matrix 4 will be good. I loved all of the John Wick movies, so I trust Keanu Reeves, but I still have reservations.
    The trailer reminded me more of a John Wick movie than a Matrix film.  Must be the new shaggy dog look Keanu has these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    "the MMO shuttering in 2009 thanks to low player counts and an overcrowded market"

Let's not make up excuses for The Matrix Online. It did not fail because the market was overcrowded. It failed because it sucked.
    KyleranHuntSPMCmaskedweaselrojoArcueidMendelmarcjt20dragonlee66TacticalZombehhalfmysticRoinand 1 other.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Considering that Monolith made The Matrix Online, I rather have them make a new Matrix mmorpg with Shadow of Mordor/War modern tech and maybe even the nemesis sytem.

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Good god those graphics make me want to cry...
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    The only thing I remember from playing it was how janky it was. You know how movies based on games suck almost every time? Games based on movies end up being that way too, much of the time.
    I mentally filed MO in this category. I'm glad there were people who enjoyed it, however.
    Mendel
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    MO is now going to be one of those games like SWG, everybody will claim they loved it and played it, but if they actually did it never would have shut down.
    halfmysticRoin

Godz of War I call Thee

• quigonginNtonicquigonginNtonic Member UncommonPosts: 17
    now we need a petition to bring back marvel heroes
    ScotunfilteredJWmaskedweasel
    But do they work?
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    edited September 2021
    Please, please no. Take off the nostalgia goggles. This game was a short lived piece of junk. Leave it in the trash bin. This petition is 7 months old and did not hit the initial 500 signatures. That should tell you all you need to know.
    maskedweaselMendelAgent_Joseph
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Jyiiga said:
    Please, please no. Take off the nostalgia goggles. This game was a short lived piece of junk. Leave it in the trash bin. This petition is 7 months old and did not hit the initial 500 signatures. That should tell you all you need to know.

I mean, I don't really care about the game myself, but why do you care if a few fans bring it back? In the end does it mater?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Scot said:
    But do they work?

Just in case, where's the petition to stop MO from returning?

Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Bad game. It should stay where it is. Matrix universe deserves a better game.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

I have to say the films should have given us a better MMORPG, but there was a seed that they could could have grown. At least that's what people I know who played said, they were disappointed with the game overall in the end.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I think there should be a whole new Matrix Online created personally. Awesome IP, needs an awesome game too.
    Scot