Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World's Open Beta: Will PvE Longevity Be An Issue? | MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Brainy said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Brainy said:
    What I don't understand about new world, is why they don't offer a server with flagging disabled, this way people who want a PVP server could have one.  The code is already built in.
    ^-- This.

My guess is they don't want to maintain two different code bases because, in order to achieve balance, they'd likely diverge significantly over time.   That could be handled by a simple notice on the server that the game isn't going to be tailored to this sort of play.

That said, this approach would really handle a lot of complaints.

Heck, Ultima Online did this years ago with the Siege Perilous server.

Yeah, well the code is already there to turn off PVP/flag so what code is there to maintain?   After updating all the servers, you can literally run a script that turns off flags for PVP servers.  An intern can code this.

Maybe they want the bad press from PVP'ers, any press is good press thinking?

Personally I think they should go even further and have a PVE Only server like DAOC did, where the corruption is more aggressive and takes over towns with no PVP at all.  This way PVE'ers could control towns.  I admit this would require some added code so I can see a game not wanting to do that.  But that would go a long way towards PVE'ers.

Just think 20 years ago, Devs knew to appeal to PVX, PVP and PVE crowds.  Now these games make no crowds happy.

Aye, adding PvP servers would be dead easy for them. Nothing to change in the game, actually, just enable PvP and disable the ability to turn it off.
    It's important to note that there is a difference between turning off the flags/on the flags and actually developing a completely different server.

My guess is "sure" they can easily make a pvp server by dealing with these flags.

But first, do they think there is enough population to warrant the costs and second, do eventually pvp players will want to have things developed more toward that playstyle. And maybe they don't want to develop two different games. It's a slippery slope from let's just make a pvp server with the flags swiched and "we want specific game play elements for pvp, specific events for pvp.

That is the issue that I can see.

Not in NW. The game is made to be played with PvP on all the time if someone wants it. All they have to do is give a server to those who want that.
    Yeah, it would take next to no effort to add the code and force PvP on a server, don't know what "server development" that guy's referring to...
    Yeah I don't get it either. AGS keeps responding to the many requests for always flagged servers by saying that they would have to divide their development for 2 "rule sets." Seems like a lame excuse to me when all they need to do differently is auto-flag for those servers.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Hengist said:
    Brainy said:
    Me and my friends experiencing so many bugs in this open beta.

Very few bugs in closed beta, massive bugs in open beta, its like they using an older buggier version for open beta.

I know its not me, too many people I know having same problems, like sound going out randomly, getting stuck randomly, locked in animations, quest log disappearing,  ... list just goes on and on.  How did they make it worse?
    The sound was a big annoyance.  They simply can't launch with that one unaddressed...

That was the main one I had, other than once Fast Traveling to a portal and apparently a Corruption had spawned directly on it so I could not move off the pad.  Unstuck just put me back in the same place.

How often did you have the sound bug?

Curious because I avoided it until last night, and then could not be "fixed" by opening the inventory and so on, once I logged to main menu and came back it was fine. That said, it sure sounded like other folks were having the issue far more often.
    Constantly for me.  Just ignored it after awhile, but they need to get that fixed before launch.

Iselin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Brainy said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Brainy said:
    What I don't understand about new world, is why they don't offer a server with flagging disabled, this way people who want a PVP server could have one.  The code is already built in.
    ^-- This.

My guess is they don't want to maintain two different code bases because, in order to achieve balance, they'd likely diverge significantly over time.   That could be handled by a simple notice on the server that the game isn't going to be tailored to this sort of play.

That said, this approach would really handle a lot of complaints.

Heck, Ultima Online did this years ago with the Siege Perilous server.

Yeah, well the code is already there to turn off PVP/flag so what code is there to maintain?   After updating all the servers, you can literally run a script that turns off flags for PVP servers.  An intern can code this.

Maybe they want the bad press from PVP'ers, any press is good press thinking?

Personally I think they should go even further and have a PVE Only server like DAOC did, where the corruption is more aggressive and takes over towns with no PVP at all.  This way PVE'ers could control towns.  I admit this would require some added code so I can see a game not wanting to do that.  But that would go a long way towards PVE'ers.

Just think 20 years ago, Devs knew to appeal to PVX, PVP and PVE crowds.  Now these games make no crowds happy.

Aye, adding PvP servers would be dead easy for them. Nothing to change in the game, actually, just enable PvP and disable the ability to turn it off.
    It's important to note that there is a difference between turning off the flags/on the flags and actually developing a completely different server.

My guess is "sure" they can easily make a pvp server by dealing with these flags.

But first, do they think there is enough population to warrant the costs and second, do eventually pvp players will want to have things developed more toward that playstyle. And maybe they don't want to develop two different games. It's a slippery slope from let's just make a pvp server with the flags swiched and "we want specific game play elements for pvp, specific events for pvp.

That is the issue that I can see.

Not in NW. The game is made to be played with PvP on all the time if someone wants it. All they have to do is give a server to those who want that.
    Yeah, it would take next to no effort to add the code and force PvP on a server, don't know what "server development" that guy's referring to...
    Yeah I don't get it either. AGS keeps responding to the many requests for always flagged servers by saying that they would have to divide their development for 2 "rule sets." Seems like a lame excuse to me when all they need to do differently is auto-flag for those servers.
    The way the game is designed I think an always on flag for everyone would be a total mess.  And I love PvP and hate flags, but in this case... I think you have to take the way the game is designed into account.    I think the vast majority of people will find it frustrating and quit, but maybe they start with 1 and see what happens.  The time to do it was in the Beta though.

YashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hengist said:
    Brainy said:
    Me and my friends experiencing so many bugs in this open beta.

Very few bugs in closed beta, massive bugs in open beta, its like they using an older buggier version for open beta.

I know its not me, too many people I know having same problems, like sound going out randomly, getting stuck randomly, locked in animations, quest log disappearing,  ... list just goes on and on.  How did they make it worse?
    The sound was a big annoyance.  They simply can't launch with that one unaddressed...

That was the main one I had, other than once Fast Traveling to a portal and apparently a Corruption had spawned directly on it so I could not move off the pad.  Unstuck just put me back in the same place.

How often did you have the sound bug?

Curious because I avoided it until last night, and then could not be "fixed" by opening the inventory and so on, once I logged to main menu and came back it was fine. That said, it sure sounded like other folks were having the issue far more often.
    Constantly for me.  Just ignored it after awhile, but they need to get that fixed before launch.

Same for me. It was always triggered by fighting something, happened very often all 4 days of the beta and usually "fixed itself" after a few minutes of not fighting.

I played with my sound in "theater mode" (surround) instead of stereo just like I did in the closed beta when this never happened. I also dialed it down to stereo sound to see if it would improve things and it didn't.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Well, then I guess I was lucky that I didn't have it until yesterday evening. Definitely something that they need to get a grip on and solve pre-release.

Is it something that y'all experienced in the closed beta as well? I remember seeing a few people saying that the sound bug was far more prevalent in the Open beta than the closed. Then again, I also people saying that they were Elvis, or Cornholio, so...instead of taking what I saw there as gospel, lol, figured I would ask here!
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2021

In other news some bro is mad because you can put beards on females. I think it's hilarious tbh.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Tiller said:

In other news some bro is mad because you can put beards on females. I think it's hilarious tbh.
    So a bearded woman is why PvP MMO's die? xD.

xD No was referring to this thread https://steamcommunity.com/app/1063730/discussions/0/3042733612673454590/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    If they stick with it and put the work in, then maybe it might become successful. If they half ass it and call it a day after release, then it won't. It has lots of potential to be great but an equal amount of potential to be awful.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.