Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elyon and its payment model

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Tiller said:
    Well, if this is p2w then so is ESO and FFXIV.
    Pretty much, it's just an over-exaggeration as many games do these things. They're just fear/hate mongering...
    What a world we live in when buying a MMORPG and charging an (optional) subscription is called P2W by a streamer.

Sure, the cash shop probably sells some advantages so they could rightfully be called out as such, but a 3 day head start? 

Only matters to the top 2 or 3% of the competitive player base who will devote their lives to playing this game, everyone else with real lives was going to fall behind one way or another.

I'd put it more like this:

What a world we live in when 3/4 of the time spent researching a new MMO to play is working your way through deliberately confusing cash shop currencies, the potential impact that their many items and services, bought with different currencies, will have on game play and where that places this particular game on the designed inconvenience / pay for convenience scale.

Somewhere in there the fact that this is just more of the same old shit with very little (any?) innovation seems to get lost in the P2W research.

Come to think of it, that's a clever and devious marketing ploy: If the game is mediocre don't just cover it in over the top graphics effects but also create a confusing inconvenience relief scheme and just maybe no one will pay attention to the game play itself and instead spend hundreds of hours on monetization research while deciding whether to play it or not.

Hmm... seems familiar... oh yeah, how about those blockchain games?

Welcome shoppers!

:)
    NanfoodleKyleranYashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Tiller said:
    Well, if this is p2w then so is ESO and FFXIV.
    Pretty much, it's just an over-exaggeration as many games do these things. They're just fear/hate mongering...
    What a world we live in when buying a MMORPG and charging an (optional) subscription is called P2W by a streamer.

Sure, the cash shop probably sells some advantages so they could rightfully be called out as such, but a 3 day head start? 

Only matters to the top 2 or 3% of the competitive player base who will devote their lives to playing this game, everyone else with real lives was going to fall behind one way or another.

I'd put it more like this:

What a world we live in when 3/4 of the time spent researching a new MMO to play is working your way through deliberately confusing cash shop currencies, the potential impact that their many items and services, bought with different currencies, will have on game play and where that places this particular game on the designed inconvenience / pay for convenience scale.

Somewhere in there the fact that this is just more of the same old shit with very little (any?) innovation seems to get lost in the P2W research.

Come to think of it, that's a clever and devious marketing ploy: If the game is mediocre don't just cover it in over the top graphics effects but also create a confusing inconvenience relief scheme and just maybe no one will pay attention to the game play itself and instead spend hundreds of hours on monetization research while deciding whether to play it or not.

Hmm... seems familiar... oh yeah, how about those blockchain games?

Welcome shoppers!

:)
    Its sad that the first thing I look into a game is not how fun it is but what is the payment model is like. I got tiered of getting excited about a game to find out the monetization was a mess. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Nanfoodle said:
    . No optional sub that gives advantages. Everyone on equal footing. 
    You know it's in the code right?  There's no way Amazon isn't going to activate it either; probably be enticing for azoth bonus, reduced taxes, etc.  Probably have 2 prices : prime and no prime.  That in no way detracts from NW, it's a great product.

You're seeing only what you want to see. 
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited August 2021
    Nanfoodle said:
    You know it's in the code right?  There's no way Amazon isn't going to activate it either; probably be enticing for azoth bonus, reduced taxes, etc.  Probably have 2 prices : prime and no prime.  That in no way detracts from NW, it's a great product.

And if and when a company does these things I take a moment to decide if I want to keep playing by how these things will impact the game they made. Its like getting a boost in exp and gold boost on a game launch. Thats a problem and the NW gamers spoke out and it was removed for launch.

Added later as a catch up mechanic selling exp boosts. Thats helpful. Thought needs to be given in monetization. I know many feel the way I do here, is why I posted it. After doing some reading and watching videos. Elyon needs to change to win my business. 

EDIT: When I see a game company be this caviler with their monetization at launch, I take that as a warning sign. 
    Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nanfoodle said:

Yeah you're right. No one knows where NW will end up with respect to "convenience" since they're only committed to a cosmetics only cash shop for this year: all 3 months of it :)

But at least everyone who played the beta and is still talking about it, are talking about game play mechanics and details and evaluating the game to decide whether to play it or not on that basis, and there is a ton there that is different enough from other current MMOs to process.

IDK about others but I enjoy the game play centric discussions much more than the monetization discussions.

If they eventually piss me off with whatever brand of monetization they decide on (although I'm not opposed to Prime benefits since I'm already a Prime member :) ) I'll be gone but at least I would have enjoyed a few months of obnoxious-monetization-free game play for $49.

NanfoodleKyleranYashaXAsm0deus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Nanfoodle said:
    I see the Elyon forums link but it gives a 404 error, maybe the link is broken...

• 3 day head start is irrelevant.
    • Typical typical subscription benefits.
    • buying in-game gold to purchase gear is standard these days.
    It's nothing new and not remotely as bad as you say @Nanfoodle.

I dont agree, most quality MMOs do 1 or 2 of the 3 not all 3. If you have a B2P game, then normally you get a cosmetic cash shop, not a required cash shop. If you have a F2P game, you see optional subs that give you benefits and a harder hitting cash shop. 

Having a Box price with a 3 day head start, an "Optional Sub" that gives some crazy advantages. It makes ESO "Optional Sub" look low key and then requiring you to use their cash shop and being able to buy ingame gold. That just seems broken to me.

From the information you have provided, I would say ESO's monetization model is more aggressive/worse. I find that the sub in ESO is mandatory for me to play and note that the sub doesn't give access to all content- you have to keep buying expansions on top of that. Despite that its the only mmo I play now because it has Cyrodiil.

Not sure what the issue is with a short headstart either. I reckon you should stop watching all these idiots on youtube and just play some games. These d-heads have way too much sway over your opinions. 
  • cindrellajamescindrellajames Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    When they don't have a forum, this happens. When you look at the list of game forums, you'll see that Elyon isn't listed in the alphabetical order that it should be.