Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky's Latest Expansion, Frontiers, Announced As Sean Murray Looks Back On 5 Years | MMORPG.

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2021 in Videos Discussion

imageNo Man's Sky's Latest Expansion, Frontiers, Announced As Sean Murray Looks Back On 5 Years | MMORPG.com

It's been five years since No Man's Sky launched to what could be considered a disastrous start to the ambitious, space-faring exploration game by Hello Games. Since then, though, it has morphed into one of the most beloved titles this past generation, and yesterday the team announced its nex major expansion and reflected on five years since launch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    One of my favorite VR titles.
    IceAgeSovrathfoppotee[Deleted User]
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Which VR set are you using? It looks like for Oculus you have to have a Facebook account?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    edited August 2021
    This has turned out to be a FANTASTIC game! The devs have really nurtured it from a rocky launch.
    foppoteeMcSleazvelimiriusNaitakalTacticalZombehSandmanjw

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

olepi said:
    Which VR set are you using? It looks like for Oculus you have to have a Facebook account?
    Valve Index.

F'k Oculus/Facebook... unless that's all you can afford :p . Truth be told they make a decent VR headset. I just don't like the company.

foppoteeAsm0deusTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    edited August 2021
    One of my favorite VR titles.

It's funny but once they moved the game to VR I could no longer play it...All I got once they implemented VR was the intro then a blank white screen where the game used to start up no prob.
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    This is definitely one of the positive highlights in the last 5 years in the gaming industry given the unstable launch. I appreciate NMS's diligence & efforts in improving the game & all the free updates. Heck, I want some buy expansion to release for $20 or so just so I can toss my $ in support of the company.
    McSleazultimateduck[Deleted User]Sandmanjw
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    This is getting ridiculous...

I know that as a player that bought the game way back when, that all the free stuff since is great.

But dang, they need to start charging for all the work they do. At this point how could fans of the game complain if they actually charged for dlc's or whatever.

This is one of those games I play every few months, and man the value....not many games I can think of that still stand behind and support the game they put out years ago like this.
    McSleazKyleranScotfoppoteeNaitakalIceAgeTacticalZombeholepiultimateduckjimmywolfand 1 other.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

olepi said:

Valve Index.

F'k Oculus/Facebook... unless that's all you can afford :p . Truth be told they make a decent VR headset. I just don't like the company.

I wouldn't have anything to do with that truly EVIL zuckerberg-creature and his abomination if it was given to me. The levels of harm his "platform" have done to the world is truly epic.
    ultimateduck
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    This is one of those rare instance where a company messed up big time on launch but regardless of the naysayers they really turned it around and made a great name for themsleves in the process.

I payed a little when it first came out before multiplayer BUT have purposely held off as I want to play this in VR......

ultimateduckSandmanjw

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    edited August 2021

Sandmanjw said:

I know that as a player that bought the game way back when, that all the free stuff since is great.

But dang, they need to start charging for all the work they do. At this point how could fans of the game complain if they actually charged for dlc's or whatever.

This is one of those games I play every few months, and man the value....not many games I can think of that still stand behind and support the game they put out years ago like this.

I am one of those who does not excuse them from having such a poor launch, but yes I think that now they can and should be charging for dlc. The games past the point of being a solid title over a year ago; it is a small team maybe sales of the game are good enough, but I am not sure anyone would argue against a small fee for each dlc now?
    Sandmanjw
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    saker said:

olepi said:

Valve Index.

I wouldn't have anything to do with that truly EVIL zuckerberg-creature and his abomination if it was given to me. The levels of harm his "platform" have done to the world is truly epic.
    Probably won't shop at Walmart either, eh?

Wait, you aren't one of those consumer warrio....

Nevermind, I'll stop. ;)

ultimateduckSandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Scot said:

Sandmanjw said:

I am one of those who does not excuse them from having such a poor launch, but yes I think that now they can and should be charging for dlc. The games past the point of being a solid title over a year ago; it is a small team maybe sales of the game are good enough, but I am not sure anyone would argue against a small fee for each dlc now?
    I bought the game about three years ago on a Steam sale, best $29.99 I've ever spent on gaming.

Like FO76, it probably wasn't as bad at launch as was made out to be, just didn't live up to its promises which had set people's expectations far too high.

Like you said, small team which let Sony push them to release it as it was, not the greatest crime in the world and considering the recovery, I can forgive them their earlier folly.

I almost feel like buying it again just to toss them some cash....

ScotAsm0deusTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]Sandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 417
    Great game. A bit tedious in the beginning
    KyleranSandmanjw
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    edited August 2021

saker said:

olepi said:

Valve Index.

Is it the user or the platform? No different than is a gun the issue or the human behind the gun. If it wasn't FB it would have been myspace or something else. Honestly, I'd point that blame at whenever the shift happened from being anonymous on the internet to this is really me and look at the shit I do.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Scot said:

Sandmanjw said:

I almost think they felt so bad about how the launch went that they promised themselves they would make it right and they pretty much have....Maybe the devs are more sensitivie to criticism than most companies who don't seem to care one iota if the launch goes awry.
    KyleranSandmanjw
    edited August 2021
    Kyleran said:
    saker said:

olepi said:

Valve Index.

Probably won't shop at Walmart either, eh?

Wait, you aren't one of those consumer warrio....

Nevermind, I'll stop. ;)

I think it has more to do with FB horribly effecting the social aspects of our society, not how they may or may not treat their employees. Walmart isn't mass censoring content with political bias, helping engage in cancel culture/online political bullying or forcing you to sign up for their "free" service, which they can turn off at will restricting your access to paid applications, just to make purchases. FB does.

Add to that the FB/Oculus ToS states that FB can gather unspecified data and sell it/give it to unspecified 3rd parties, including what it picks up on the cameras and microphone. You can argue that this can happen already with cell phones, but we didn't agree for it to happen with our cell phones making it illegal.

If you can't afford a better headset and you can stomach FB, then why not. It's a decent product for the price. I can afford better and I can't stand FB so it's a Valve Index and HP Reverb G2 for me.
    Kyleranjimmywolftremmorxeron