Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World - Still haven't found what they're looking for (beta opinion)

2»

Comments

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    edited August 2021

Yes, I definitely noticed a lack of direction and some conflicting directions they went with this game. The project started not even as a MMO title AFAIK. It was supposed to be a PvP centric survival game with full loot and PvP on at all times except some safe zones. They made if far less punishing since.

Second the initial designs features tribal factions as NPCs/mobs etc, but after some consultations and outrage (with history of American genocide and all) those factions were replaced with far more generic zombies and similar.

Combat started as a Dark Souls light with stagger being one of the main ways you would get punished for a badly timed attack or getting flanked by multiple enemies. Stagger got removed in Preview...basically making combat less punishing again BUT also less deep.

Then there is the controversy about poor choice of leadership at the studio, with at least some very senior positions taken by execs with no game development experience meddling in development of a MMO...which are notoriously difficult to manage and polish.

So instead of an interesting setting with Native American inspired content, with hopefully some Witcher like inteligent and mature  narrative about nature of humanity, we ended up with far more generic setting and half baked features, because the leadership has very little idea what they wanted to achieve here. Some of the basic features in the game feel like need some serious work and decision making at the DESIGN level.

All of this makes you wonder how much time and existing game assets have been wasted due to lack of direction and focus.

Here is a kicker tho. It is possible I'm MMO starved, but New World thanks to its atmosphere, the crafting loop and fairly unique for a MMo combat kept me playing for hours late into the night. This doesn't happen with me often any more. The game has clearly some potential, but I’m not convinced this is enough to convince Amazon that they should continue spending money on it. We all know what happened to few of their projects.

Kylerannurso
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited August 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I was sure Kyleran would have a U2 link in this thread........
    Been more into bands like Flogging Molly and the like these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    Combat started as a Dark Souls light with stagger being one of the main ways you would get punished for a badly timed attack or getting flanked by multiple enemies. Stagger got removed in Preview...basically making combat less punishing again BUT also less deep.
    Just a precision:
    Stagger was removed from players, but not from NPC enemies.

Asm0deus[Deleted User]