Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High end PC gaming computers banned- not

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Brainy said:

Ozone is going to kill humanity, until ozone repairs itself whoops.
    Ozone was never going to kill humanity. Ozone is a pollution when it's in lower atmosphere (ie. when you breath it), but I don't think it's ever been that significant problem.

The problem has been that it was discovered some of our pollution was destroying ozone in stratosphere, where it had important function of blocking ultraviolet radiation. It's one of the science's success stories that after the problem was discovered mankind has been able to limit substances which were causing the problem, and the ozone layer has been able to recover somewhat.

So scientists discovered a problem, and the solution, and it's already proven in practice that the solution can work. Nowadays only hardcore denialists or conspiracy theorists claim otherwise.
    [Deleted User]Tuor7AlBQuirky

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Wargfoot said:
    Brainy said:
    So here we are now with solar?  Give it a decade or 2, I am sure it will 180 reverse.  Just like everything else.

Solar is sucking so much energy out of the sun that the sun is experiencing climate change.
    Solar's problem is storage for when the sun is down.  Thus why California is asking people to limit appliance use at night...welcome to the most technologically advanced state in the US and you can not run a toaster at night.

Killing birds with the death lasers of light and size of land usage is also a problem.  

Make better collectors that are smaller and a battery that can store the charge without killing the Earth and we got a nice source of energy.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Vrika said:
    Brainy said:

Ozone was never going to kill humanity. Ozone is a pollution when it's in lower atmosphere (ie. when you breath it), but I don't think it's ever been that significant problem.

The problem has been that it was discovered some of our pollution was destroying ozone in stratosphere, where it had important function of blocking ultraviolet radiation. It's one of the science's success stories that after the problem was discovered mankind has been able to limit substances which were causing the problem, and the ozone layer has been able to recover somewhat.

So scientists discovered a problem, and the solution, and it's already proven in practice that the solution can work. Nowadays only hardcore denialists or conspiracy theorists claim otherwise.
    The Montreal Protocol was not proven to be the main contributor to the ozone "fixing".  While CFC were still increasing after the protocol was agreed to the Ozone layer stabilized.  CFC production did decrease, but not enough to completely explain what happened.  NASA still is researching the exact interactions.  We know CFC's are very bad for it, but we still do not know what "fixed" it.  
    Brainy[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Vrika said:
    Brainy said:

LOL hmm CFC's went up while the hole fixed itself, how does that work.  Just another BS story to cover peoples behind when their predictions are completely wrong.

Another hole opened in Antarctica recently, then repaired itself some months later.  Its all those hairspray CFC omitting people down in Antarctica causing that I guess.  Want the real cause, try looking at the Volcano Mr. Erebus in surprise surprise,  Antarctica.

Fun fact, warming weather actually repairs the ozone layer. So "global warming" helps the ozone layer, LOL you cant even make this stuff up.

AlBQuirky
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Brainy said:
    Vrika said:
    Brainy said:

LOL hmm CFC's went up while the hole fixed itself, how does that work.  Just another BS story to cover peoples behind when their predictions are completely wrong.

Another hole opened in Antarctica recently, then repaired itself some months later.  Its all those hairspray CFC omitting people down in Antarctica causing that I guess.  Want the real cause, try looking at the Volcano Mr. Erebus in surprise surprise,  Antarctica.

Fun fact, warming weather actually repairs the ozone layer. So "global warming" helps the ozone layer, LOL you cant even make this stuff up.
    Rapid changes to ozone hole, like opening and then repairing some months later, are due to weather conditions. Ozone breaks up most effectively when you've got stratospheric clouds, which only form in extreme cold, and sunlight to provide energy for the reaction. Basically stratosphere is only ever cold enough near the poles, and even in those regions there's only a narrow margin when there's both sunlight and cold enough temperature.

That's why even though the amount of CFC and similar substances is fairly constant through the year, some springs you've got massive ozone loss above the pole.

Also it doesn't matter that much where humans cause emissions of CFC and other similar substance because air tends to move around. This phenomenon is called wind.

You're right that warming weather could help repair the ozone layer. In our planet everything is interconnected and when we humans make one change it always triggers other changes and chain reactions.
    AlBQuirky

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Cost of electricity where I am is pretty darn reasonable. Reasonable enough to waste, which is what many do.
    It isn't so much about the cost, or even capacity concerns, rather it's about reducing carbon footprints from energy usage from fossil fuels.

All of his electricity and all of mine (we're neighbors) comes from dams.
    We have to have lunch one day in the near future. I've been reading your posts for long enough, you owe me ;)

Seriously

my treat :)
    IselinKyleranAlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2021
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Cost of electricity where I am is pretty darn reasonable. Reasonable enough to waste, which is what many do.
    It isn't so much about the cost, or even capacity concerns, rather it's about reducing carbon footprints from energy usage from fossil fuels.

All of his electricity and all of mine (we're neighbors) comes from dams.
    We have to have lunch one day in the near future. I've been reading your posts for long enough, you owe me ;)

Seriously

my treat :)
    Let me just get my second Pfizer dose first :)
    laseritAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Wargfoot said:
    Brainy said:
    So here we are now with solar?  Give it a decade or 2, I am sure it will 180 reverse.  Just like everything else.

Solar is sucking so much energy out of the sun that the sun is experiencing climate change.
    I wonder how much our climate would change if the suns intensity changed by 1 millionth of a percent.
    AlBQuirky

laserit said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Brainy said:

I wonder how much our climate would change if the suns intensity changed by 1 millionth of a percent.
    There is a theory in ancient times there were a series of solar flares that increased the Earth's temps by just 2 to 3 degrees and turned parts of Peru into deserts and led to mass famines across the world.  This inturned caused glaciers to melt increasing the Earth's surface area of water reflecting more UV light back into space cooling the Earth back down, but causing an unusual cold spell till the ice reformed killing more ancient kingdoms.

laseritAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Brainy said:

There is a theory in ancient times there were a series of solar flares that increased the Earth's temps by just 2 to 3 degrees and turned parts of Peru into deserts and led to mass famines across the world.  This inturned caused glaciers to melt increasing the Earth's surface area of water reflecting more UV light back into space cooling the Earth back down, but causing an unusual cold spell till the ice reformed killing more ancient kingdoms.

meh...

I like the wobbly orbit theory better myself :)

A large enough solar flare can wipe our electronic civilization out in an instant. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. 

Just like a pandemic.   
    AlBQuirky