Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zones by level

Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 9,006
I've seen people ask for this, so here it is.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
CPU: Intel Core I7 11700k (5.10ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 Aorus ELITE AX - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Iselinblueturtle13TokkenTorvalachesomaYashaXKyleran

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 16,116
    There's also a pretty good interactive map that's very helpful with showing you where to go to harvest specific resources or hunt specific mobs for town board quests:

https://newworldfans.com/map

tzervoTokkenTorvalachesomaYashaXKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 9,006
    Iselin said:
    There's also a pretty good interactive map that's very helpful with showing you where to go to harvest specific resources or hunt specific mobs for town board quests:

https://newworldfans.com/map

Yep my favorite map.
    You have that one too:

https://www.newworld-map.com/

But I like the newworldfans one better.

Kyleran
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 11700k (5.10ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 Aorus ELITE AX - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 14,089
    Is there one that shows the faction control by zone on each server?  Looking to find another server for launch.  My one was taken over be an exploiter guild that ran their group to 60s using the town boards and now they own 6 locations.  Not the place I want to be on launch.
    TorvalScotKyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Is there one that shows the faction control by zone on each server?  Looking to find another server for launch.  My one was taken over be an exploiter guild that ran their group to 60s using the town boards and now they own 6 locations.  Not the place I want to be on launch.
    They really need a mechanic to help balance the factions on a server. Even the old standard and often used generic boosts to the low pop factions on a range of +5% to +20% (depending on population relative to the dominant faction) to everything: attack power, healing, XP gain, crafting, etc. or every server will end up like that.

Even then, huge guilds that have 3 or more "sister guilds" will tend to dominate. The game may be faction based but don't kid yourself, it's really about massive guilds dominating.
    TorvalScotKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 7,002
    Iselin said:
    They really need a mechanic to help balance the factions on a server. Even the old standard and often used generic boosts to the low pop factions on a range of +5% to +20% (depending on population relative to the dominant faction) to everything: attack power, healing, XP gain, crafting, etc. or every server will end up like that.

Even then, huge guilds that have 3 or more "sister guilds" will tend to dominate. The game may be faction based but don't kid yourself, it's really about massive guilds dominating.
    I think they need a mechanism where part of the taxes are lost if your faction controls too much of the map. 
    blueturtle13TorvalKyleran

Iselin said:

Yeah.  What’s even more screwed up is that these guys join the 3rd factions wars and fight for them as well.  So in essence they have all the regions except 1.

Uvici server is screwed.  They also jacked up taxes to extreme.

Hopefully they now have the exploits locked down for launch.  Rumor has it they may extend beta and might do another wipe.  We will see.
    Jean-Luc_PicardYashaXKyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 9,006
    What I think they should do:

- Extend the beta at least two weeks.
    - First week, keep on rooting out the leveling bugs and exploits. They already did an awesome job so far on this.
    - Second week, boost everyone to max level with the best faction gear (max out their gold so they can purchase it all), and make them test end game and the PvP instance.
    TokkenTorvalSlapshot1188achesomaKyleran

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,457
    Thanks for the maps tip. Is there one that shows you where to find the damn snails for the fishing quest? :lol: 

The map on Murial is fairly well balanced between the 3 factions which is surprising given how many other servers are reportedly lopsided.

I personally don't think a single guild should be able to own more than one territory. I'm not sure what can be done about mega-guilds and their co-guilds. A large guild could easily have one or two in each faction and still control the entire map, like Iselin points out, and it would look balanced to the outsider.
    Jean-Luc_PicardSlapshot1188Kyleran
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Torval said:
    Thanks for the maps tip. Is there one that shows you where to find the damn snails for the fishing quest? :lol: 

I gave up on them. I think it's bugged.

Some claim that fishing right where she gives you the quest produces clams - tried many times and I never got one.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Torval said:

Some claim that fishing right where she gives you the quest produces clams - tried many times and I never got one.

I actually did get clams there. I just used regular bait, either medium or large. I only got one result though. I've fished in several freshwater areas and haven't seen a snail though. I saw one fan blog say they are on the western edge of the Windsward province, but that could have just been random luck on their part.

These sorts of quests should be less whack-a-mole.

Torval said:

The map on Murial is fairly well balanced between the 3 factions which is surprising given how many other servers are reportedly lopsided.

I personally don't think a single guild should be able to own more than one territory. I'm not sure what can be done about mega-guilds and their co-guilds. A large guild could easily have one or two in each faction and still control the entire map, like Iselin points out, and it would look balanced to the outsider.
    Is Murial NA East?  If so I may hop in

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 16,067
    edited July 31
    Iselin said:

I must admit I assumed a small faction population bonus would have already been in place, we have all seen these issues before, but then it is still beta. There are other measures you can take as well, unless they intend to allow one faction to own every zone you can cap the number of zones a single faction can hold, seven would be half of the map, something like that.
    Torval said:

Is Murial NA East?  If so I may hop in
    West.

Torval

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 9,566
    This is helpful cause to be honest I thought it was a mess, now it makes sense.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• StizzledStizzled Member EpicPosts: 2,227
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

I managed to finish the quest. I didn't go anywhere special. The clam I got in deep ocean water, no bait. The snail I got in a little pond, shallow water with no bait. Neither place was a fishing hotspot.

I don't think they're quest items, just rare fishing drops. So you're literally just fishing and hoping to get the rare item you need out of a very large loot table.
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 7,002
    Torval said:
    I think they need to limit a single guild's and a single factions ability to dominate too much first. Then see how those changes work, and implement more changes only afterwards if needed.
    Torval

edited August 1
    Does anyone know what the end game is? It occurred to me that maybe one faction is meant take over the entire map and you have to all start again? Otherwise you will have players leaving for other servers as was mentioned above. Is it possible to change sides, start a new avatar on a different side on the same server?
    edited August 1
    Scot said:
    Does anyone know what the end game is? It occurred to me that maybe one faction is meant take over the entire map and you have to all start again? Otherwise you will have players leaving for other servers as was mentioned above. Is it possible to change sides, start a new avatar on a different side on the same server?
    There is no starting over like in Crowfall. It's a persistent world.

You can change sides. The first change happens instantly whenever you want it. After that there's a 120 day wait for each subsequent change.

You can only have one avatar per server or even per server cluster. E.g., during beta NA West has around 20 servers divided into 4 clusters. That limits you to 4 avatars for the NA West region.

(EDIT: and yes, even in beta my altitis flared up and I have 4 avatars in the NA West region :) )

Post edited by Iselin on
    tzervoScotYashaXKyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Scot said:
    I ran to the current endgame zone last night.  By running past/around enemies, climbing mountains, jumping off cliffs, and strategic use of camps (you can res there after death) we made it to the current endgame zone.  It has a city built into a volcano.  Couldn't get inside because there are giant balrog-like creatures at each entrance that 1-shot us (we are level 40ish). There are roads that lead out of this zone but the zones they connect to are not in game yet.  So I assume they will be adding more zones as we go.

The endgame appear to be running higher dungeons, hitting open world Elite areas, and at level 60 defending territories from "Invasions" of NPCs and PvP including "Outpost Rush" which is a 20x20 battleground.  Both of those last 2 are level restricted so was not able to check them out.

On a side-note, they have some coding that prevents you from getting great higher-level items.  We "pulled' one of the Balrogs and had someone run in and grab the huge chest behind him but only got low level junk.

tzervoScotYashaX

edited August 1
    Scot said:
    I ran to the current endgame zone last night.  By running past/around enemies, climbing mountains, jumping off cliffs, and strategic use of camps (you can res there after death) we made it to the current endgame zone.  It has a city built into a volcano.  Couldn't get inside because there are giant balrog-like creatures at each entrance that 1-shot us (we are level 40ish). There are roads that lead out of this zone but the zones they connect to are not in game yet.  So I assume they will be adding more zones as we go.

The endgame appear to be running higher dungeons, hitting open world Elite areas, and at level 60 defending territories from "Invasions" of NPCs and PvP including "Outpost Rush" which is a 20x20 battleground.  Both of those last 2 are level restricted so was not able to check them out.

On a side-note, they have some coding that prevents you from getting great higher-level items.  We "pulled' one of the Balrogs and had someone run in and grab the huge chest behind him but only got low level junk.

I applaud only one faction avatar per server (maybe cluster is a bit harsh?) that is the only way to keep the faction mechanics strong. Not sure about even an 120 day wait, if you are in a guild players will start to put pressure on the guild to change. It should be for "life", if that causes problems fix the factions not the players hopping faction to fix it.

So the endgame zone is in the centre (?) and even if you don't control an adjacent area you can get to it? The rough outline I am getting so far seems solid, faction combat and raids is what end game should be.
    The current end game zone is NW corner

That is a questionable design decision, obviously players will all try to win the NW corner first.
    Scot said:
    That is a questionable design decision, obviously players will all try to win the NW corner first.
    Those regions are not capturable.   Off the top of my head I think the 3 (or 4) highest level zones cannot be captured by any faction
    tzervoScot

Vrika said:
    Torval said:
    I think they need to limit a single guild's and a single factions ability to dominate too much first. Then see how those changes work, and implement more changes only afterwards if needed.

Agreed. I also like your idea that the more a guild owns the more the benefits are watered down. If it costs more to own and hold many territories than the benefit provides then maybe they'll only try and keep what provides a concrete benefit.

I think there still might be a problem with massive guilds having many sibling guildlets in game and then dominating that way. Although with that way it is still much harder to control and manage.

Another issue I have is how my faction may not be the best at running a town. For example, when the Marauders owned Windsward the crafting and trade fees were actually better than when my faction took over. The only disadvantage to the Marauders owning the town is that I didn't get the free crafting loot from the cart, but it isn't that great anyway.

Which brings me to the point that there needs to be a "non-faction" faction and an ability to influence or support different factions in their effort to take territory. I want to be able to contribute resources or provide support in some way to another faction if I don't like the current owners. New World has a lot of potential for intrigue and political subtlety but I'm not confident they'll pursue such.
    ScotYashaXlaserit