Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Testing my claims?

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I havent managed to get into this beta yet so can't test it myself.

I have a question for those who are in:

Are the servers still limited to 1000 players?

This was a limitation (deliberate) in the early alphas but the game has changed so much since then that the limitation may have been removed or changed and I just haven't noticed.

If the limit is still in place, can you notice it ingame? I've never played an MMO with such a low cap before so I have no frame of reference to judge it by. I know the original intent was to limit numbers both for performance and because the map wasn't that big, they didn't want it being overcrowded. But, as they've add a lot of stuff, I'm guessing they've mitigated those issues.
    [Deleted User]
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,026
    edited July 2021
    Scot said:
    Looks for a toy to throw out of his pram. ;)

I must admit I can't see ESO (which I played for about 2 1/2 years) as a Sandpark, to me it is a themepark and NW is likely the same from what has been said. But we were never expecting a sandbox, well I wasn't. Maybe survival has reignited the desire for far more sandbox elements, but my own preference if that road was gone down would be for traditional sandbox elements not trying to avoid exposure and so on.

What is interesting me more, is how the power/skill setup is working. Are there only skill trees for weapons or what? Also I saw a screen which suggested players are putting in points to stats as they levelled up! I presume you can easily respec that as it goes against the "you can never make a mistake in character design" mantra which we have had since the post noughties.
    respecs on weapons cost very little gold at first, might go up over time.

Stats respeced 1st time free for me.

Stats seem a bit weird, as you basically put points to your weapons main stat, maybe some will put in constitution (health).  The problem is they made these stats pretty irrelevant, because you can get gems to let you take the best stat.  For example my staff needs focus, but my great axe needs str.  Well you get a gem that lets your great axe use the best of either focus or str, so I just put everything into focus.  So TLDR no real diversity or meaning really to stats.

This game is totally a theme park.  Its more theme park than ESO, you are completely on a guided tour no doubt about it.  If you don't follow the main quest line then you cant even do half the content later.  It seems to me everyone is doing a lot of everything, because everything is intermingled so much.  They might be doing it slightly out of order but at the end of the day they still end up right at the same place.

Its like a path splits into 2 directions towards  two different rides, but the exit path from the rides both exit at the same snack bar.

GdemamiBruceYeeKyleran[Deleted User]Scot
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Scot said:

I must admit I can't see ESO (which I played for about 2 1/2 years) as a Sandpark, to me it is a themepark 

Not to digress from the topic, back at launch I agree ESO felt very much like a theme park.

But after starting fresh about 4 months ago I'd definitely say it has more of a free form Sandpark feel.

Perhaps it does have rides common in theme parks but the freedom to move most anywhere in the world right from the git go is pretty exceptional at least against other MMOs I've played.

Anyways back on topic... whatever it was.

;)
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Scot said:

I must admit I can't see ESO (which I played for about 2 1/2 years) as a Sandpark, to me it is a themepark and NW is likely the same from what has been said. But we were never expecting a sandbox, well I wasn't. Maybe survival has reignited the desire for far more sandbox elements, but my own preference if that road was gone down would be for traditional sandbox elements not trying to avoid exposure and so on.

What is interesting me more, is how the power/skill setup is working. Are there only skill trees for weapons or what? Also I saw a screen which suggested players are putting in points to stats as they levelled up! I presume you can easily respec that as it goes against the "you can never make a mistake in character design" mantra which we have had since the post noughties.
    NW is almost certainly a "sandpark" game. So far at least, the quests seem to just give players a broad push in a certain direction, with other gameplay elements like crafting, gathering, exploring, worldbuilding, and even pvp having a much greater focus than in other more on the rails mmos I have played.

And yes, there are only skill trees for weapons and you can repec character stats for free up to level 20. 

[Deleted User]KyleranScot
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mars_OMG said:
    love their trees :D 

I wish AGS would consider licensing an older established game to redo the graphics.  The images are exceptional.   I'm not certain the game mechanics of NW are anywhere close to this quality.  Imagine an EQ1, a DAoC or even a Ryzom with these graphics.  (Hint for Amazon: Ryzom is open source)

YashaXGdemamiolepi

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• shadyjane63shadyjane63 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Just got my refund for the second time. I was so excited to have a new mmo to play we pre-ordered over a year and a half ago and refunded when they pulled the game from 2020 release. Recently I was sent a beta code and decided to give it another try. Would have liked to see what it was like but never managed to get into the game itself. 3 days of watching a cycling icon got to No Gateway, to Connection Error then to Connection Timeout made me realize it would never be a game I could play. There were hundreds of report on forum stating they had the same problem an while I watched other regions go to red on population the graph for US never filled up.

I gave up when the new of bricked cards came out and I knew I wasn't ready to sacrfice my cpu to an untried game especially when Amazon denied it was responsible. I know Nvidia is replacing them but it's all too many bad omens.
    Gdemami
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Brainy said:

This game is totally a theme park.  Its more theme park than ESO, you are completely on a guided tour no doubt about it.

Sorry, but... liar.
    He explained his position pretty well. We're waiting for you to explain yours. 
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Watching people trying to excuse away design choices even indie game devs wouldn't make to the streamers + content creators all fishing/competing for those Bezos bucks... There will never again be a moment in MMO history like right now so remember it well.

If the mess of a closed beta with all their slapped together design choices after 6 years in production + hundreds of millions in development costs was by a no name game company instead of 'Amazon' it would've be shit on & forgotten 10000x by now.

Dumping on Crowfall BAMN in what seemed almost like coordinated/intentional attacks possibly causing irreversible damage to the game world equivalent of a mom & pop business while defending BAMN a mega corp game studio with amateur level design quality is something many people will not forget.

The trees are really nice though... and the scenery... and there are people around...

"It's not a themepark, liar!"
    Also... "I have to wait in queue to complete quests"....

"The game is frying cards"
    Also... "It's not their fault!"...
    Gdemami
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    lahnmir said:
    Looking at all the bickering about the differences between sandboxes, themeparks, sandparks and themeboxes etc. I propose to lump them all together and call them kindergartens, named after the manchildren that litter these landscapes with their petty arguments.

Totally joking of course  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Ok ok.

(goes home sulking, cries himself to sleep in the pillow)
    [Deleted User]

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    lahnmir said:
    Looking at all the bickering about the differences between sandboxes, themeparks, sandparks and themeboxes etc. I propose to lump them all together and call them kindergartens, named after the manchildren that litter these landscapes with their petty arguments.

Totally joking of course  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sandthemeboxparks
    BruceYee said:

If the mess of a closed beta with all their slapped together design choices after 6 years in production + hundreds of millions in development costs was by a no name game company instead of 'Amazon' it would've be shit on & forgotten 10000x by now.

Dumping on Crowfall BAMN in what seemed almost like coordinated/intentional attacks possibly causing irreversible damage to the game world equivalent of a mom & pop business while defending BAMN a mega corp game studio with amateur level design quality is something many people will not forget.

Lol, how is it a "mess of a closed beta" . This thing runs smoother than ESO for me and has a huge population. Crowfall on the other hand makes my machine sound like a vaccum cleaner even though its broken up into small zones/instances, has a graphics style that should be less demanding on my computer, and has only a handful of people on in the same instance.

It's so good you brought up the comparison with CF, because in some ways CF and NW have similar mechanics (heavy focus on crafting and gathering, etc) but this game gets right everything that CF fails in, the biggest part being that NW makes you feel like you are in a real living world.

Don't be blaming some posters on here for CF not doing well, that is all on the game itself I'm afraid. 
    [Deleted User]
    YashaX said:
    BruceYee said:

Lol, how is it a "mess of a closed beta" . This thing runs smoother than ESO for me and has a huge population. Crowfall on the other hand makes my machine sound like a vaccum cleaner even though its broken up into small zones/instances, has a graphics style that should be less demanding on my computer, and has only a handful of people on in the same instance.

It's so good you brought up the comparison with CF, because in some ways CF and NW have similar mechanics (heavy focus on crafting and gathering, etc) but this game gets right everything that CF fails in, the biggest part being that NW makes you feel like you are in a real living world.

Don't be blaming some posters on here for CF not doing well, that is all on the game itself I'm afraid. 
    "...the biggest part being that NW makes you feel like you are in a real living world."

Does NW have scaling? Or how do they handle the division of players by levels? 

Once upon a time....

BruceYee said:
    Watching people trying to excuse away design choices even indie game devs wouldn't make to the streamers + content creators all fishing/competing for those Bezos bucks... There will never again be a moment in MMO history like right now so remember it well.

The trees are really nice though... and the scenery... and there are people around...

"It's not a themepark, liar!"
    Also... "I have to wait in queue to complete quests"....

"The game is frying cards"
    Also... "It's not their fault!"...

Nice bullshit... totally unrelated to the topic at hand.
    And no, you do not HAVE to wait in ANY queue to complete a quest.
    Isn't this game in Beta? 
    How many players are in-game, is it equivalent to a game that's been released? 

Once upon a time....

edited July 2021
    Brainy said:

This game is totally a theme park.  Its more theme park than ESO, you are completely on a guided tour no doubt about it.

Sorry, but... liar.

Very simple... except the main quest line, which you can do however you like to, there's nothing linear in NW. You can go wherever you want in the world, doing whatever activities you want including quests.
    So yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that one. And I'm a big ESO fan.
    Are those other activities as rewarding, or close to, the quests? Or is it fluff? 
    This could be a critical element in the game's success if I'm right about the Main Topic here. 
    Also, how do they handle the player separation by levels (Power Gaps)? Or are the Power Gaps reduced so that's not a big issue? (This one would mean that this game actually isn't the "same ol'."

Edit to add: 
    Also, can a player whose not doing the quests still go do the same content, or are they locked out of said content? 
    YashaX

Once upon a time....

Mars_OMG said:
    One thing is more interesting, why would New World target or test the op directly ?
    I'm right here, as you can clearly see. Why not address that question directly to me (regardless)? 

I never said they were targeting me in any way. 
    What a silly question. Go re-read the OP. 
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

Mars_OMG said:

"New World Testing my claims?"

Implies the game is focused on your claims specifically, which sounds odd :) 
    Well read the post. I couldn't fit it all in the title. 
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

Once upon a time....

YashaX said:
    BruceYee said:

"...the biggest part being that NW makes you feel like you are in a real living world."

It has no scaling. We'll see how the division of players goes after about a year I guess, but currently its set up so that some places in a given territory have tougher mobs, and I think some territories are just more difficult overall.
    [Deleted User]
    edited July 2021
    YashaX said:
    YashaX said:
    BruceYee said:

It has no scaling. We'll see how the division of players goes after about a year I guess, but currently its set up so that some places in a given territory have tougher mobs, and I think some territories are just more difficult overall.
    Another way to check is to look at your HPs and damage, etc., to see how much stronger you are as you level. Look at percentage of growth.
    The content will be designed to move up with your Power. 
    You can then determine how fast you will separate from players below your current power. 

How many HPs do you get with each new level, as a percentage to the level before? 
    Are weapons based on levels? Do they have more damage? How's that compare level to level? 5 Levels to 1 level? 
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Brainy said:
    Scot said:

respecs on weapons cost very little gold at first, might go up over time.

Stats respeced 1st time free for me.

Stats seem a bit weird, as you basically put points to your weapons main stat, maybe some will put in constitution (health).  The problem is they made these stats pretty irrelevant, because you can get gems to let you take the best stat.  For example my staff needs focus, but my great axe needs str.  Well you get a gem that lets your great axe use the best of either focus or str, so I just put everything into focus.  So TLDR no real diversity or meaning really to stats.

This game is totally a theme park.  Its more theme park than ESO, you are completely on a guided tour no doubt about it.  If you don't follow the main quest line then you cant even do half the content later.  It seems to me everyone is doing a lot of everything, because everything is intermingled so much.  They might be doing it slightly out of order but at the end of the day they still end up right at the same place.

Its like a path splits into 2 directions towards  two different rides, but the exit path from the rides both exit at the same snack bar.
    What you said about the stats does look like they had a more involved system in mind then someone reminded them of the development mantra "you can never allow players to make a mistake in character creation". Once players get the idea they have made some sort of mistake in cc, then they might even leave the game unless respec is easy, so MMOs started to make it really easy. Here it sounds like they went further to take the easymode route, it does not sound like players have to think much about stats. Unfortunately 'not having to think much' is a design philosophy found throughout gaming now. It is hardly a show stopper though, if NW had made a stand against MMOs becoming ever more easier I would have been astonished.
    Brainy said:

Sorry, but... liar.

Very simple... except the main quest line, which you can do however you like to, there's nothing linear in NW. You can go wherever you want in the world, doing whatever activities you want including quests.

So your definition of of sandpark is that you can go out any 4 exits from town into different directions so that's a sandbox?

This game has tons of gated content via levels, weapons gated by levels, areas gated by levels, dungeons gated by levels, content gated by quests and levels.

Their are only 6 skills/spells per weapon and you get 3, there is really no diversity of builds at all.  Each spell is almost the exact same as everyone else, unlike say diablo where going down a line you can change the build completely by changing a talent or gear.

Anytime you go to a themepark there are many paths to ride the rides, but all the rides loop and you end up coming and going thru the exact same entrance and experience the same things in the end.  How is new world any different?

You tell me when you complete your first dungeon, I guarantee it will be the same one as everyone else.  Sure you might take a little longer to get there, but you will get there, or quit trying.  Tell me how your play style differs from all the rest?  Because you gather 70% of your time instead of 50%?  I mean geez you are splitting some tiny hairs here.

So then WoW and FFXIV is sandparks to you also I suppose?  How is this game more of a sandbox than WoW anyways?  I would say WoW is more sandboxy then this actually.  In most games I don't even craft or gather, this game you are pretty much going to be doing that or gimp yourself.

Your sandpark definition is getting pretty loose.  Are there any popular MMORPG's that are not sandparks by your reasoning?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it being this way, but lets not try to redefine the game into some trendy "Sandpark/Sandbox" definition just because themeparks have a negative connotation.

AmarantharScot
    I dont get it where the sandbox part your even talking about is.  So Disneyworld is no longer a themepark because you can choose the order of rides?  You can even avoid the scary rides if you choose?

The only themeparks are haunted houses where you stand in line and shuffle thru behind the person in front of you to the end?

Even in questing in NW each town has 3 quests, you cant complete the next quest until completing the prior one.  If I want to skip to the end for the final reward, explain how I do that?  This is as linear as it gets, you have to complete them in a specific order tons of quests gated behind the previous one.
    GdemamiAmarantharKyleran
    Brainy said:
    Brainy said:

Sorry, but... liar.

So your definition of of sandpark is that you can go out any 4 exits from town into different directions so that's a sandbox?

This game has tons of gated content via levels, weapons gated by levels, areas gated by levels, dungeons gated by levels, content gated by quests and levels.

Their are only 6 skills/spells per weapon and you get 3, there is really no diversity of builds at all.  Each spell is almost the exact same as everyone else, unlike say diablo where going down a line you can change the build completely by changing a talent or gear.

Anytime you go to a themepark there are many paths to ride the rides, but all the rides loop and you end up coming and going thru the exact same entrance and experience the same things in the end.  How is new world any different?

You tell me when you complete your first dungeon, I guarantee it will be the same one as everyone else.  Sure you might take a little longer to get there, but you will get there, or quit trying.  Tell me how your play style differs from all the rest?  Because you gather 70% of your time instead of 50%?  I mean geez you are splitting some tiny hairs here.

So then WoW and FFXIV is sandparks to you also I suppose?  How is this game more of a sandbox than WoW anyways?  I would say WoW is more sandboxy then this actually.  In most games I don't even craft or gather, this game you are pretty much going to be doing that or gimp yourself.

Your sandpark definition is getting pretty loose.  Are there any popular MMORPG's that are not sandparks by your reasoning?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it being this way, but lets not try to redefine the game into some trendy "Sandpark/Sandbox" definition just because themeparks have a negative connotation.

It seems to me that if they don't have instances, and if they don't have Scaling, then they are going to have the problems that EQ had with too many players at the same Dungeons or Quest objectives, waiting or as I read somewhere, all beating on the same Boss and hoping to do enough damage. 
    When the game goes full release, it sounds like a nightmare for the players. 

Once upon a time....

It seems to me that if they don't have instances, and if they don't have Scaling, then they are going to have the problems that EQ had with too many players at the same Dungeons or Quest objectives, waiting or as I read somewhere, all beating on the same Boss and hoping to do enough damage. 
    When the game goes full release, it sounds like a nightmare for the players. 

I personally haven't really had much problems at all completing quests.  I have seen some packed areas, especially at the start when it was hard to find a certain plant/ore but respawns are pretty fast.  If you know what you doing you can move out of the starter area and get what you need.

First week might be a problem but I doubt it will be much.

In regards to mobs, everyone gets credit when you kill it so I don't see a problem there other than places being pretty ez without much challenge do to all the players around killing everything.  Again spawns are pretty fast, I really haven't seen much problems like that.

But then, alot of my playtime is non peak hours so maybe there is a problem I am not aware of in that regard.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    edited July 2021
    I'm playing slowly, just got to level 10 so far. My basic impressions:

- the world is beautiful, too bad I can't play it on full settings since my GPU will fry if I do
    - I like that the inventory is matrix based, instead of scrolling like ESO does for consoles
    - the game ran flawlessly, no crashes, no stuttering, no rubber-banding, even on my pathetically slow internet
    - the quests and combat seem primitive, reminds me of PoTBS 15 years ago
    - the art style is a bit too colorful and almost too cartoony, but that's just my taste, it is well done in any case

There's enough to keep me interested, and the game has a solid technical foundation. So I'm looking forward to lots of changes in the future. I bet in 3 years the game will be significantly different.
    [Deleted User]YashaX

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited July 2021
    Duplicate

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018