Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Testing my claims?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Mars_OMG said:
    Mars_OMG said:
    sorry but you are full of doodie.

The number one reason comments like the above are created, is because the user play's a game like a themepark and have never grasped the concept of creating ones own journey through a game world.
    Create one's own journey through a Themepark? You have to be kidding. 
    Or do you mean the journey you can create in a Sandbox? 
    I am a Sandbox gamer, if you didn't know. Very strongly. I've touted the benefits of Sandbox over and over again. Including a number of recent posts. 
    what fantasy game do you play that's a sandbox ?
    I haven't played an MMORPG in 9 years. The only one that I would consider a proper Sandbox was UO. But after 13 years in that game, and lacking serious continued development, and old friends, it just got "old." 
    Wait, wut?

You never even trialed any MMORPGS in the last 9 years? How do you even know you don't like them?
    SovrathYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Mars_OMG said:
    tzervo said:
    Mars_OMG said:
     I played every major "3D" release but wow swg. Shadowbane sandbox, eve online sandbox, Dark and Light sandbox, and I think that is every sandbox game that lived in the genre. Unless other can list some more?
    Albion, Foxhole, A Tale in the Desert, One Hour One Life, Elite Dangerous. I am sure there's others too.
    Did play albion.
    Wurm online ?

is Elite Dangerous a sandbox mmo or sandbox single player ?

Elite Dangerous is definitely a MMO. You'll learn that first hand once you lose your ship to another player somewhere in an asteroid field ;)

32 player per instance  does not an MMO make ...  Its not an MMO at all
    Brainy
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Kyleran said:
    Mars_OMG said:
    Mars_OMG said:
    sorry but you are full of doodie.

The number one reason comments like the above are created, is because the user play's a game like a themepark and have never grasped the concept of creating ones own journey through a game world.
    Create one's own journey through a Themepark? You have to be kidding. 
    Or do you mean the journey you can create in a Sandbox? 
    I am a Sandbox gamer, if you didn't know. Very strongly. I've touted the benefits of Sandbox over and over again. Including a number of recent posts. 
    what fantasy game do you play that's a sandbox ?
    I haven't played an MMORPG in 9 years. The only one that I would consider a proper Sandbox was UO. But after 13 years in that game, and lacking serious continued development, and old friends, it just got "old." 
    Wait, wut?

You never even trialed any MMORPGS in the last 9 years? How do you even know you don't like them?
    Because they have designs that I know I don't like. 
    How difficult is that? 
    Kyleran

Once upon a time....

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

My expectations are that they will do very well at first. It's different enough. 
    I expect that they will start losing growth rate, and start to stagnate (growth wise), in about a year. 

Bold prediction considering this is 99.9% of MMORPG releases.....
    [Deleted User]YashaX[Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    olepi said:

ESO is not a sandbox at all. It's a pure themepark. Sure, you are free to roam around and look, and you can ride the rides in any order you want to. I suppose you could skip all the rides, and just explore, harvest, and craft, but you will craft the same things as everybody else.
    Hence the term "Sandpark" for those games somewhere in between, you know, like EVE maybe.

For me at least it isn't so much about how much of the tools or world players get to create as I'm not interested in playing a crafting simulator.

Rather it's more about (for me) how much freedom I have to put said constructs to good purpose.

In EVE like many games players are allowed to target and shoot "things." Could be other players ships, NPC's, structures, asteroids, wormholes, stargates, the list goes on and the variety of tools designed by the developers and sometimes crafted by players to do so is vast.

Thing is, I can decide to pursue activities that requires using all, some or none and still have a pretty amazing experience.

Some players spend most of their time docked up in stations market trading or even scamming others in countless ways and nary a shot is fired in anger.

Stack up countless numbers of similar mechanics and designs results in a pretty good sandbox in my mind, but of course for you "purists" YMMV.

But go ahead and enjoy building yourself a few loin cloths, stone knives & water skins, me, I'll probably slip on a power armor set and stomp some super mutant heads in FO76, guess it's just what we "theme park" gamers do.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Viper482 said:

My expectations are that they will do very well at first. It's different enough. 
    I expect that they will start losing growth rate, and start to stagnate (growth wise), in about a year. 

Thus testing my claim that most gamers are tired of the "same ol' same ol'."
    But that was only part of my OP. The other part was whether this game really is the same ol' same ol', or different enough not to be. 

Once upon a time....

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Viper482 said:

But that was only part of my OP. The other part was whether this game really is the same ol' same ol', or different enough not to be. 

How can you even judge if its the "same ol sam ol" if you haven't even played an mmo in nine years?  
    Kyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

YashaX said:
    Viper482 said:

How can you even judge if its the "same ol sam ol" if you haven't even played an mmo in nine years?  
    Here's a quote from the last point I made in my OP:

"But I have some questions that could change all of that. 
    How is this game different, other than what I've listed above?"

Does that clue you in that I was not making a definitive statement? 

There have been only a few posts that offered anything of substance to my post. But those have been pretty good. 

Gdemami

Once upon a time....

edited July 2021
    tzervo said:
    YashaX said:
    Viper482 said:

It is simple: he is not against same old: he wants a modern UO Trammel. Nothing wrong with that. But this automatically rejects any game that does not fit this descriptor, regardless of whether it is same old or sandbox or not, and the wording used is confusing.

New World does not fit that descriptor either. It matters not if it is a sandbox or a sandpark. What matters is that it is not sandbox enough for this purpose.

I hope this clears things up.

The test is just based on the wrong premise. Even "not same old" games coming out recently and not fitting this descriptor have declined. So even if NW declined this will prove nothing (although reception has been really good so far so the early signs are encouraging).
    LOL, I have to reject that. 
    My post was not about what I want. It's about what I think is going on at this stage of MMORPGs, what I've been claiming for the last couple of years, and whether I'm right or not. 
    This game may be a test of that, and it may shine light on the subject. 
    Although, it appears that this may be a very difficult thing to read. 

And for the record, the recent game releases are really no different than the "same old". They just have Scaling tossed on top of them to try to make them feel more Sandboxy, at the cost of a clearly defined game world and content. That's not a Sandbox World when it's muddied like that, and you can't have a Sandbox without the world it is in. 
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Kyleran said:
    olepi said:

ESO is not a sandbox at all. It's a pure themepark. Sure, you are free to roam around and look, and you can ride the rides in any order you want to. I suppose you could skip all the rides, and just explore, harvest, and craft, but you will craft the same things as everybody else.
    Hence the term "Sandpark" for those games somewhere in between, you know, like EVE maybe.

For me at least it isn't so much about how much of the tools or world players get to create as I'm not interested in playing a crafting simulator.

Rather it's more about (for me) how much freedom I have to put said constructs to good purpose.

In EVE like many games players are allowed to target and shoot "things." Could be other players ships, NPC's, structures, asteroids, wormholes, stargates, the list goes on and the variety of tools designed by the developers and sometimes crafted by players to do so is vast.

Thing is, I can decide to pursue activities that requires using all, some or none and still have a pretty amazing experience.

Some players spend most of their time docked up in stations market trading or even scamming others in countless ways and nary a shot is fired in anger.

Stack up countless numbers of similar mechanics and designs results in a pretty good sandbox in my mind, but of course for you "purists" YMMV.

But go ahead and enjoy building yourself a few loin cloths, stone knives & water skins, me, I'll probably slip on a power armor set and stomp some super mutant heads in FO76, guess it's just what we "theme park" gamers do.

lol wait.. are you saying FO76 is an MMO?

Just curious... 
    Gdemami
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

tzervo said:
    Viper482 said:

Sneaky.  :)
    What's sneaky about it? I meant that. 

You guys seem think I'm just trying to win something here. Other than the other stuff you guys are bringing into this (about other games and those discussions), this topic was meant to be exactly what I said in my OP, and nothing more. 

Gdemami

Once upon a time....

edited July 2021
    tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    Viper482 said:

Sneaky.  :)
    What's sneaky about it? I meant that. 

You guys seem think I'm just trying to win something here. Other than the other stuff you guys are bringing into this (about other games and those discussions), this topic was meant to be exactly what I said in my OP, and nothing more. 

The other games are brought to show you that many "not same old themepark" games have launched recently and declined in pop after launch, like most games do. Hence how New World will do proves nothing, which is very relevant to OP and to what Viper and aameow said.
    Those games each have their own issues, it seems to me. You mentioned a couple, I think, that are open PvP. One is a set of Arenas with some sandbox elements, and nothing else. One is like Eve only in the age of sails, no character to run around with, Eve's already taking that space, and it looks a bit boring to me. 

They don't have anything to do with this topic. 

And you didn't mention all that many. 5-10 games and your reaching into games that are very different in concept. 

Gdemami

Once upon a time....

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Kyleran said:
    olepi said:

When playing ESO, you are going to use the skills and powers they give you. You cannot create new ones. You will craft and wear the same armor and weapons as everybody else, you can't create new ones. If you do any of the quests, that is pure themepark. It's an open world, in the sense that you can go anywhere, and do tasks in any order you want to.

But you will use the same classes, the same weapons, the same armor, and do the same quests as anyone else.

My example sandbox, Ryzom, has no quests. No fixed classes. No fixed skills, No fixed armor or weapons, You have to design and create all of those yourself. All of your powers, skills, weapons, and armor can be different than anyone else in the game.

Ryzom does not have a world sandbox, so you cannot change the world, or build new things in it. So in that sense, it isn't a pure sandbox. For the player character though, it is pure sandbox.
    GdemamiKyleran

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

"But you will use the same classes, the same weapons, the same armor, and do the same quests as anyone else."

Actually, no.
    He must play the wrong games. ;)

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    I never got the impression this was meant to be a AAA sandbox, they did change direction but I thought that was just about PvP? So yes from what people are saying it is a themepark, but lets get over that and move on.

It's not a sandbox, and it's not a linear theme park either. It's like ESO, what some use to call "sandpark".

Many gamers seem to think there are only those two types of designs, sandbox and themepark. Sandpark fits New World well in my opinion. To me, New World and Skyrim are open world flexible RPGs. There are some fixed elements, like going to a specific cave is always the same.

The land is dotted with Corruption Portals (ala Rifts in the MMO of the same name) which lends a dynamic feel to the environment.

I can build my character however I want. My current character uses a fire staff and a rapier. Maybe that will change. I am somewhat proficient in sword and shield, but my attributes (high int and dex) don't support that well, but I can use them.

I can wear any armor I want and mix and match between them. There are tradeoffs when doing so.

It definitely is much more flexible than typical themepark MMORPG design like LoTRO, EQ2, WoW, FF14, etc.
    There are just lots of people who don't do nuance.  It is either "this" or "that."  Unfortunately, it seems like the number of people who don't do nuance is increasing at an exponential rate.  Though, that could just be my own bias at work.
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    I never got the impression this was meant to be a AAA sandbox, they did change direction but I thought that was just about PvP? So yes from what people are saying it is a themepark, but lets get over that and move on.

It's not a sandbox, and it's not a linear theme park either. It's like ESO, what some use to call "sandpark".

Many gamers seem to think there are only those two types of designs, sandbox and themepark. Sandpark fits New World well in my opinion. To me, New World and Skyrim are open world flexible RPGs. There are some fixed elements, like going to a specific cave is always the same.

The land is dotted with Corruption Portals (ala Rifts in the MMO of the same name) which lends a dynamic feel to the environment.

I can build my character however I want. My current character uses a fire staff and a rapier. Maybe that will change. I am somewhat proficient in sword and shield, but my attributes (high int and dex) don't support that well, but I can use them.

I can wear any armor I want and mix and match between them. There are tradeoffs when doing so.

It definitely is much more flexible than typical themepark MMORPG design like LoTRO, EQ2, WoW, FF14, etc.
    There are just lots of people who don't do nuance.  It is either "this" or "that."  Unfortunately, it seems like the number of people who don't do nuance is increasing at an exponential rate.  Though, that could just be my own bias at work.
    I think that some thigs aren't nuanced at all. They are what they are, no this or that about them.
    I see the opposite much more than a lack of nuance. Where people take a problem with something and claim it's "just your opinion." 
    As if rotten eggs are "just your opinion." 
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

Torval said:
    Scot said:

I think that some thigs aren't nuanced at all. They are what they are, no this or that about them.
    I see the opposite much more than a lack of nuance. Where people take a problem with something and claim it's "just your opinion." 
    As if rotten eggs are "just your opinion." 
    Cat?

Cat?

Cat?

Cat?

I dunno but sometimes nuances can be important as things aren't always so black and white.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaX[Deleted User]

Not when problems are specific. The only difference is whether people mind them or not. 
    Remember the day when air conditioning wasn't standard on cars? It cost more to get it. 
    A lot of older men said they didn't need it, they can roll the windows down. They didn't mind because they didn't want to pay the extra. 
    But for everyone that did mind, it was important. And when they didn't buy cars because another brand had it included (with or without extra charge), that was a problem for the automakers, and soon cars came with air conditioning as a standard feature. 

So you could say "that's your opinion" to either guy, it really wasn't about an opinion to the automakers. It was a problem. 
    And that's what we're talking about, the game, not the individual players. 

Some day, someone's going to make a true Sandbox, and do it really well and with depth. Without problematic "fixes" like Scaling. 
    Then, they'll all be adding air conditioning...errr...doing the same. 

Once upon a time....

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Looking at all the bickering about the differences between sandboxes, themeparks, sandparks and themeboxes etc. I propose to lump them all together and call them kindergartens, named after the manchildren that litter these landscapes with their petty arguments.

Totally joking of course  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]ScotAethaerynAsheram[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Well after running my first dungeon as a healer.  I can say this game has the worst healing targeting mechanics of any game I have ever played.  Maybe I am missing something, but scrolling for targets and AOE ground heals are pathetic.

PVP healing is even worse.  I really don't understand how people even play healers in PVP unless for self heals.

Maybe heals get better at really high levels, but at Lev 25 its underwhelming to me.

Are there any others that are healing and doing just fine, just curious if i'm missing something simple here like F keys to target group members.
    TokkenYashaX
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited July 2021
    Looks for a toy to throw out of his pram. ;)

I must admit I can't see ESO (which I played for about 2 1/2 years) as a Sandpark, to me it is a themepark and NW is likely the same from what has been said. But we were never expecting a sandbox, well I wasn't. Maybe survival has reignited the desire for far more sandbox elements, but my own preference if that road was gone down would be for traditional sandbox elements not trying to avoid exposure and so on.

What is interesting me more, is how the power/skill setup is working. Are there only skill trees for weapons or what? Also I saw a screen which suggested players are putting in points to stats as they levelled up! I presume you can easily respec that as it goes against the "you can never make a mistake in character design" mantra which we have had since the post noughties.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited July 2021
    NorseGod said:
    My prediction, assuming it launches on time...I give it until November/December.

Nobody likes a bricked graphics card, NW will get blamed.

People will run out of main quests.

FvFvF PvP will be dominated by one faction (Purple Map, every server).

People will lose interest because that's the state of the new gamer generation.

You're stuck playing one of two meta builds (if you chase meta and compete endgame).

Lumberyard engine issues (desync, etc).

John Smedley ability to screw up a game will be underestimated. 

There will be enough Amazon fanbois playing to keep the lights on, but that's it.

Cash Shop...it's coming boys, P2W is coming.
    I have some of the concerns you do.  I LOVE the game so far and have played just about everything thing since NWN (AOL).

I think it all comes down to what they do at max level.  I have never been an end-gamer much.  There are a lot of things to do with crafting but it all has an eventual end.  The territory control will keep people around for a bit.

I am not sure how this game would be expanded. . if they stick with increase in level caps, new territories. .. . rare materials etc. they could go for a bit but it would be a reskin.

I honestly love just running around and doing the PvP and PvE quest to help grow the town I have decided to hang around in (the only area my faction happens to own).

I have loved other games in the past and then the shine wears off and you see the cyclical nature of them but I am okay with that.  If I get a good 6 months out of it I will be pretty happy.

I haven't had any issues with the engine at all, hitching etc.  Smedley does make me nervous a bit.   I will happily ride this one out until I get bored of it.  I have paid the same for games  I have already played less.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited July 2021
    So busy with Everquest 2 and Atelier Ryza, otherwise I can use my prime membership to test this out.  if anything just to reward them for giving us flagged PvP, this alone is a big positive in my book.
    Chamber of Chains