Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lazy Peon takes on Crowfall

Comments

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    edited July 2021
    tzervo said:

Them being lazy does not absolve him giving false info. It's on both.

What do you mean false info? He gave his impression of the game from playing it. His review is from someone who hasn't read all the developer manuscripts about the game, hasn't browsed for in depth player guides to figure out what it is. He's actually doing from the perspective of a normal gamer who just wants to buy and play the game, and ends up utterly confused. Because it is really confusing! You can't harp on him for not reading quest text, 99.99% of players just skip quest text in MMOs these days, and any modern developer should realize that and account for it. Especially in a tutorial for a game that is difficult to understand, and doesn't make it clear just what you are meant to be doing to find some enjoyment.
    RoinfinefluffYashaXGdemami
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Here's the thing IMO.  These reviews seem to suffer the same as the community.  There is a kind of hive mind mentality.  When the community as a whole, the reviews tend to follow.  They also tend to want to out do each other.  One is somewhat is somewhat negative, then the next a bit more .....and it keeps going down hill.

This isn't a defense of Crowfall, more of a commentary on the state of the review system.  I don't think many truly provide an unbiased look at games 
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

I self identify as a monkey.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    If I went to a diner, and the burger was good, but the fries and drink sucked, I am not being dishonest if I blast the place for shitty fries and poor drink.. but, if I am trying to pass myself off as someone doing a full review of the place, I am a douche if I don't mention that the burger was in fact good.

Just saying.
    [Deleted User]BruceYeeGdemamiFlharfh
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Just a general question:

After seeing LazyPeon's first impression, I wonder if such videos can have legal consequences. Yes, he marked it as his own opinion, but given that many of his viewers interpret Peon's opinion - which is based on an unfair representation of the game - as a recommendation I'm not sure, if that's going to hold up in court. Especially since his following is the large enough to generate noticeable financial losses.
    BruceYeeYashaX
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    lazy peon hasn't played a MMO for his own enjoyment in years, it was BDO, and he played for like a month before rage quitting and calling it P2W
    He had a break down after his girlfriend dumped him and made videos talking about him "taking the red pill" then he moved to Thailand and coasts on easy money from his sponsored videos. His last video was him trying to shill crypto.

His videos haven't been good for a very long time. It reminds me of my favorite twitch streamer who now does nothing but sponsored streams now, and takes off every other day.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2021
    tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    tzervo said:
    His rant on the crow thing is silly and annoying when multiple NPE quests tells him to bind to a statue and the UI literally tells him to press F to return to the statue and skip the travelling back. He is not that wrong about the rest.
    I watched a few of his videos, I really don't understand how this guy has a following.
    He is usually funny. His videos have a nice format. But he is very sloppy and gets many things wrong. Personally I do not put any value in his reviews.

The value of his videos is largely confined to his humour. Those that don't find him amusing at least part of the time won't get much value from them.
    Not really. Some people are enticed by his humor but eventually watch him for the review. You can tell that by some comments in his videos. If they are equally lazy and don't do their own research they can easily get the wrong impression about a game based on false information. It's a matter of using wrong criteria for their goal.
    This statement is so true.It is not only research on the content mentioned but you also need to have a somewhat understanding of the content creator "Lazy Peon" and over a long period of time to get further understanding of the person.

I happen to have watched his videos going way way back and i have seen changes in the way he does his videos but not a whole lot of change in his preferences.

IDK about any humor but he has long been a bit on the immature side,example he has a preference for boob sliders.

I know that he does understand game design quite well and has good knowledge on how to react to game designs.However times are changing as is Peon.We are seeing more and more people trying to or cooperating with developers to be influencers which is just a somewhat illegal way of getting around the sponsored representation that is a MUST.

You see if a content creator just pretends to really enjoy the game he/she is showing it has a lot more impact than if the content is posted as sponsored.My point is that i feel Peon is doing less foreign game server hacking to get into free gaming and is more inline with receiving free game access to post positive reviews.
    You can understand it if you have followed someone like Peon a long time to know what his preferences are so that when you see something right out left field you might want to question the intent.

I also happen to know what his thoughts  are on game design so again when i see something that appears to contradict his past comments i feel there is an agenda.

[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    tzervo said:
    Wizardry said:

I know that he does understand game design quite well and has good knowledge on how to react to game designs.However times are changing as is Peon.We are seeing more and more people trying to or cooperating with developers to be influencers which is just a somewhat illegal way of getting around the sponsored representation that is a MUST.

I also happen to know what his thoughts  are on game design so again when i see something that appears to contradict his past comments i feel there is an agenda.

He is obviously very "literate" on common MMO tropes after doing this for years, which helps him adapt fast in most games. His lack of effort usually shows in more atypical MMOs (such as Crowfall). I don't think it is an agenda, or at least I have no proof of one. I think it is either lazyness or conscious choice.

I guess him going in with no info helps his videos coming off as more original. I just cannot stand him ranting based on such little info and wrong facts.
    Well he is well suited to the "gaming" population then, as the drive to need no reading not even watch a video before you jump in is overwhelmingly strong now.
    [Deleted User]
  • nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Wargfoot said:
    nurso said:
    Just a general question:

After seeing LazyPeon's first impression, I wonder if such videos can have legal consequences. Yes, he marked it as his own opinion, but given that many of his viewers interpret Peon's opinion - which is based on an unfair representation of the game - as a recommendation I'm not sure, if that's going to hold up in court. Especially since his following is the large enough to generate noticeable financial losses.
    If unfair representations were illegal there would be no media.
    I've never said his impressions were illegal. I've been puzzling over whether his video (or everyone who publishes a similar video) could be interpreted as "damaging to business" and thus could have legal consequences.

YashaX
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    tzervo said:
    His rant on the crow thing is silly and annoying when multiple NPE quests tells him to bind to a statue and the UI literally tells him to press F to return to the statue and skip the travelling back. He is not that wrong about the rest.
    I watched a few of his videos, I really don't understand how this guy has a following.
    He is usually funny. His videos have a nice format. But he is very sloppy and gets many things wrong. Personally I do not put any value in his reviews.

The value of his videos is largely confined to his humour. Those that don't find him amusing at least part of the time won't get much value from them.
    Not really. Some people are enticed by his humor but eventually watch him for the review. You can tell that by some comments in his videos. If they are equally lazy and don't do their own research they can easily get the wrong impression about a game based on false information. It's a matter of using wrong criteria for their goal.
    How is it not really? What of that counters that his videos won't give much value to anyone beyond the humour they contain.
    The video's initial draw and only value is often the humor but unfortunately that's not the only thing many viewers stick around for.

I may have misread your second sentence. Humor is the only value viewers get but they think they get more.

For those viewers equally lazy who is at fault for what they do or not? Peon didn't make them lazy, nor did he tell them to confuse his impressions for game reviews.

His viewers' choices and related repercussions are on them alone.

What absolves Peon is that he consistently reminds his viewers that his videos are about his impressions of games, not an exhaustive analysis of them. What absolves Peon is that it is clear his content is close to 100% entertainment and 0% journalism.

Nobody with any sense watches Peon for the quality of information he provides. They watch him for the manner in which he presents it.

That some of Peon's viewers apply more substance to his videos than he himself openly declares them to have isn't his fault. He effectively applies a warning label to each and every one: Impressions only, confuse with fact at your peril.
    Nildencranthug
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Ungood said:
    If I went to a diner, and the burger was good, but the fries and drink sucked, I am not being dishonest if I blast the place for shitty fries and poor drink.. but, if I am trying to pass myself off as someone doing a full review of the place, I am a douche if I don't mention that the burger was in fact good.

Just saying.
    So what if someone else went in and it was their opinion that all the food sucked? That's just their honest opinion. Are they now a douche for not noticing or mentioning the brand new booths they sat in or the new kitchen countertop or the premium china dishes they ate off. Does that even matter if the food sucked?

Is it slander for stating their honest opinion? Not at all.

You are free to make up your own opinion. Someone else might go in and think this is the best food they ever had.

Now if they said the owner touched their kid or the place had rats and it was a malicious lie that would be slander. You would think for someone who typed out the definition 3 times they would be able to identify it.

RoinYashaX

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• cranthugcranthug Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Lazy Peon did a video on a PVP game in which he did no PVP whatsoever.  Even for his moniker this is not only extremely lazy, but disingenous at it's worst so he can just move on to shilling New World for his clicks, views, and Bezos bucks. 

So much wrong or blatantly incorrect with his "review" it's almost disgusting to me.  So false.
    BruceYeeYashaX
    nurso said:
    Wargfoot said:
    nurso said:
    Just a general question:

I've never said his impressions were illegal. I've been puzzling over whether his video (or everyone who publishes a similar video) could be interpreted as "damaging to business" and thus could have legal consequences.

People are aloud to have opinions. 

If not Pewdiepie (or any popular streamer/youtuber) would have been taken to court if he so much as hinted at having an opinion that something sucked. Like McDonalds or Nike etc.

This isn't a thing.

Nilden said:
    nurso said:
    Wargfoot said:
    nurso said:
    Just a general question:

People are aloud to have opinions. 

If not Pewdiepie (or any popular streamer/youtuber) would have been taken to court if he so much as hinted at having an opinion that something sucked. Like McDonalds or Nike etc.

This isn't a thing.

People are allowed to have opinions but that is not the same as possessing low to no information on a subject and speaking as if you are an authority.  The dude couldn't even see that he could instantly port back to his bind stone and bitched for 5 minutes about crow flight time.  He was in a wildland zone where no other players were congregating and complained he didn't find pvp.  Come on man...
    Ungood[Deleted User]BruceYeenurso
    tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    tzervo said:

How is it not really? What of that counters that his videos won't give much value to anyone beyond the humour they contain.
    The video's initial draw and only value is often the humor but unfortunately that's not the only thing many viewers stick around for.

I may have misread your second sentence. Humor is the only value viewers get but they think they get more.

For those viewers equally lazy who is at fault for what they do or not? Peon didn't make them lazy, nor did he tell them to confuse his impressions for game reviews.

His viewers' choices and related repercussions are on them alone.

What absolves Peon is that he consistently reminds his viewers that his videos are about his impressions of games, not an exhaustive analysis of them. What absolves Peon is that it is clear his content is close to 100% entertainment and 0% journalism.

Nobody with any sense watches Peon for the quality of information he provides. They watch him for the manner in which he presents it.

That some of Peon's viewers apply more substance to his videos than he himself openly declares them to have isn't his fault. He effectively applies a warning label to each and every one: Impressions only, confuse with fact at your peril.

You're putting a lot of faith in viewers who can't even play games for themselves any more, just watch "influencers" who tell them what to do.  Comedic relief for the joke that he is aside, this damages the games population with his false information.  Flat out. 
    BruceYee
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Guys can we try to not just head to the forum of the "other" MMORPG that is just out and slag it off? That applies equally to both CF and NW, live and let live, the MMO landscape needs them both.
    Scot said:
    Guys can we try to not just head to the forum of the "other" MMORPG that is just out and slag it off? That applies equally to both CF and NW, live and let live, the MMO landscape needs them both.

IMO what the industry doesn't need is 200k sheep flocking to an ad campaign for a broken game.  That isn't how the next gen of gaming is going to come about, that's how you get more of the same broken cash grabs over and over.
    RoinYashaXnursoGdemamiMendel
    cranthug said:
    Lazy Peon did a video on a PVP game in which he did no PVP whatsoever.  Even for his moniker this is not only extremely lazy, but disingenous at it's worst so he can just move on to shilling New World for his clicks, views, and Bezos bucks. 

So much wrong or blatantly incorrect with his "review" it's almost disgusting to me.  So false.
    Well he might be an idiot and have gone to the wrong place, but he sure sounded like he was trying to find the pvp. 

I guess that begs the question how long should he have tried to find the pvp in a pvp game? 

He hit lvl 30 and was looking for it. I think it's more on the game for not directing people to the pvp.  That or the numbers are so low he couldn't find anyone. Maybe he played at 3 am from Thailand?

Not finding pvp in a pvp game is pretty much the most damning thing that could happen.

Even if your an idiot who doesn't join up with a guild or group the game should point you to a fight.
    YashaXGdemami

Nilden said:
    Ungood said:

Just saying.
    So what if someone else went in and it was their opinion that all the food sucked? That's just their honest opinion. 
    Then that is their Honest Opinion, like what the fuck dude.. 

That does not change or even address anything I said.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Nilden said:
    Ungood said:

Just saying.
    So what if someone else went in and it was their opinion that all the food sucked? That's just their honest opinion. 

I was pointing out that the entire thing was subjective. If someone else goes in and thinks it sucks they are not being a douche or slandering the place just by having an opinion.
    Gdemami

tzervo said:
    Nilden said:
    Ungood said:
    Nilden said:
    Ungood said:

Just saying.

I was pointing out that the entire thing was subjective. If someone else goes in and thinks it sucks they are not being a douche or slandering the place just by having an opinion.
    If they ranted that there were no fries because they did not see them in the catalogue, when they factually are there, they would be (the equivalent to ranting about the crow thing because they did not read they could bind to the statue when told so multiple times during the NPE).
    Point taken he looks like an idiot on that front. 
    [Deleted User]

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited July 2021
    Nilden said:

He isn't just some random patron or player walking into a business that gives a negative yelp review afterwards...

The influence power he has to guide or deter his subscribers to/from games is more than people are obviously willing to accept/recognize...

YouTube Subscriber numbers...

TheLazyPeon 635k
    KiraTV 96k
    JoshStrifeHayes 169k

Asmongold 720k
    Kripparian 926k

YOU may think 'content creators' don't matter but many in the new generation of gamers actually decide what games to play based on those influencer's "opinions". I know it's weird to us older folk but it's the truth and it's just the way it is now...

Do you understand yet the difference between some average Joe's like us shitting on a game vs these 'influencers' with hundreds of thousands of followers that hang onto their every word?

[Deleted User]nurso
    Nilden said:
    Ungood said:
    Nilden said:
    Ungood said:

Just saying.

If someone thinks you are stupid and ugly.. that is just their feelings on the matter. They can go fuck right off.. right?

If someone wants to be taken seriously as a reviewer, they need to have a fixed standard by which they set if something sucks or not.. or again.. they can go fuck right off with their worthless opnion.

Do you get what I am saying?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Ungood said:
    Nilden said:
    Ungood said:
    Nilden said:
    Ungood said:

Just saying.

If someone thinks you are stupid and ugly.. that is just their feelings on the matter. They can go fuck right off.. right?

If someone wants to be taken seriously as a reviewer, they need to have a fixed standard by which they set if something sucks or not.. or again.. they can go fuck right off with their worthless opnion.

Do you get what I am saying?
    Apparently 635k people take him seriously as a reviewer.
    Or at least find him entertaining...

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Kazule1Kazule1 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    edited July 2021
    1. He was on the Australian server, which doesn't have that many people no matter what. 

2. He was in the starting zone, where no one stays.  There is literally a quest that says go to skypoint when you reach lvl 30.  That is technically when the tutorial ends and the game begins.  No one should judge a game based on its tutorial.

3. He was right about the map and UI.  They suck.

4. It's a shame he never got to experience the games small scale and large scale pvp.  Although performance needs a lot of work during large battles it is still playable.

5. My guild and I have a blast every night attacking and defending keeps and having skirmishes with other guilds over territories.  You get out what you put into Crowfall.  If you don't want to be a part of a guild, this game probably isn't for you.

6.  They need to fix the performance and some janky mechanics and it will be a really good game.  I would give it a year.  This is a soft launch and most mmo's suffer their first year.  Don't count Crowfall out just yet.
    Ungood[Deleted User]