Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World MMO - Some details and resources for July 20th beta

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Game is live early. In tutorial already :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    I'm 700 in queue great.
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    When I logged in there was only 9 on the server, guess I shoulda skipped the cutscene lol.
    YashaXScot
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Mr409Wins said:
    37gb downloaded in 8 minutes - dang I love Fiber :)
    See ya online !
    I'll be on the European "Asgard" server.
    For most people, "fiber" is cereal, that stuff that helps clear out your digestive system. So, when you say "I love fiber", I got to think you're telling us you need to head to the john.

So, be clear!  Say "fiber optic network" or something, so we know.
    Most of the time, a poster can date themselves with a post like, but am I the only one that can't tell if they are 8 or 80 from this one.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Calm down guys and tell us how it is going.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    I like the world design. Crafting seems also nice from the little Ive done.
    What is holding the game back is the bad combat system with the few and uninspired skills
    Ungood
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Scot said:
    Calm down guys and tell us how it is going.
    Going well so far!

Some random thoughts:

• Leveling to 10 is really fast.  We were worried about how fast it went, but then it seems to get dramatically longer. Ended up level 17 by the end of the night.  Probably played around 10 hours.
    • Healing is... challenging at first.  When I would heal, I would draw agro from mobs not even on the screen!  And the healing you do at first is pitiful.  As I leveled, got better gear and spent training points it got much better.
    • There are 4 areas you can start in.  We had 4 people play and as luck would have it, we all were in different spots. The trek from one to the other is kind of hard until you level a bit as you have to run through areas with mob in the 14-20 range.  
    • Once you visit a town you can fast travel to it (for a price)
    • DId not participate in any PvP.  Your faction can give you up to 3 PvP missions, but when I tried to get them it said the Group was set to non-PvP.  We wouldn't figure out how to swap the group. Honestly didn't really look all that hard.
    • Chat on our server was like WoW vanilla.  People spamming their guilds.  Dumb comments.  Only thing missing was Chuck Norris. The Crowfall community was MUCH better
    • Massive playerbase.  I saw there were just under 200,000 players simultaneously.  This meant that some servers had massive queues.   I saw as many as 10,000 people in queue for some servers.  Maybe more.
    • I got disconnected from the server once.  Said 25 minute queue, but it was more like 35.  That drop was later afternoon.  I'm sure it was much higher later.

Overall I liked it.  We all did.  Unclear what the long term prospects are.  Will try to hit some of that mid-late game stuff (plus PvP) over the next few days.
    [Deleted User]CuddleheartScot[Deleted User]YashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Remali said:
    What is holding the game back is the bad combat system with the few and uninspired skills
    What do you mean by a bad combat system? How does the combat work?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2021
    I am not surprised to hear the Crowfall community was better, I see the players there really wanting to try out that sort of MMO. New World is going to attract a far broader group who are there for many different reasons not the least of which is "there's something new out".

In a way it mirrors the history of MMOs, played by a smaller base of fans in the pre-WoW days, played by every gamer and his dog today. But this is a problem you get in every AAA MMO out there. What that will mean for the populations down the line is harder to say, but likely opinions won't change much.

The idea that trying to heal caused some varmint to agro you from off screen did raise a smile. "Get him!" :)

It looks solid from what people are saying so far.
    Ungood
    Ungood said:
    Remali said:
    The combat is free swing/shoot/cast with a very small aiming sweet spot. All of it can miss or can be dodged/side-stopped. There are no arrows doing a 90 degree turn here :smile:

It won't be everyone's cup of tea and for MMO players, especially  those coming from tab target MMOs, there will be a learning curve for sure. It makes you think twice about when to use your single target big skills since those have 15+ seconds cool downs and it sucks when you miss with those.

Last year almost every single basic LMB attack had a brief stagger component which although it felt more impactful because of it, could be and was cheesed especially with fast light attacks to "stagger-lock" mobs or other players: if you hit first with a hatchet, for example it was pretty well an auto-win by spamming light attacks.

Now they have removed that stagger component from light and heavy attacks so the feel of connecting a blow is not as impactful (still better than most MMOs.) Some of the big skills do still proc a stagger but those are on cool down so getting CC'd to death by other players is not as much a thing.

Mobs however didn't have their staggers on you removed and they also don't telegraph their moves very much or for very long if there's a "wind up" (like a boar's charge at you for example) and no colored hints on the ground at all... unfair! :smile:

Personally I like the combat so far but even someone who has played other actionish combat MMOs will have a learning curve with this combat especially ranged.
    [Deleted User]Ungood[Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Remali said:
    The combat is free swing/shoot/cast with a very small aiming sweet spot. All of it can miss or can be dodged/side-stopped. There are no arrows doing a 90 degree turn here :smile:

It won't be everyone's cup of tea and for MMO players, especially  those coming from tab target MMOs, there will be a learning curve for sure. It makes you think twice about when to use your single target big skills since those have 15+ seconds cool downs and it sucks when you miss with those.

Last year almost every single basic LMB attack had a brief stagger component which although it felt more impactful because of it, could be and was cheesed especially with fast light attacks to "stagger-lock" mobs or other players: if you hit first with a hatchet, for example it was pretty well an auto-win by spamming light attacks.

Now they have removed that stagger component from light and heavy attacks so the feel of connecting a blow is not as impactful (still better than most MMOs.) Some of the big skills do still proc a stagger but those are on cool down so getting CC'd to death by other players is not as much a thing.

Mobs however didn't have their staggers on you removed and they also don't telegraph their moves very much or for very long if there's a "wind up" (like a boar's charge at you for example) and no colored hints on the ground at all... unfair! :smile:

Personally I like the combat so far but even someone who has played other actionish combat MMOs will have a learning curve with this combat especially ranged.
    So typical FPS action Combat?

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Ungood said:
    Remali said:
    It is just that you have 2 weapons to swap with 3 skills for each weapon so you total have 6 skills.That by itself is not so bad the big problem is that I found the skills for the weapons I tried to be of boring design.
    If you are going to have so few skills they should be pretty impactfull but in new world they are not.Just a higher percentage of damage or an aoe arc very basic staff
    UngoodYashaX
    edited July 2021
    Ungood said:
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Remali said:

That or "Souls-like." The developers have mentioned the Souls games as their combat inspiration many, many times. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited July 2021
    Remali said:
    If you are going to have so few skills they should be pretty impactfull but in new world they are not.Just a higher percentage of damage or an aoe arc very basic staff
    That was actually my main criticism of New World's combat last year and it still is.

I'm not a fan of little cool down timers - I much prefer ESO's resource pool based method - but if you're going to have them, what you're cooling down should be so good as to be worth the CD.

New World does have some skills that feel worthy of one like the Ice Gauntlet's Entomb that makes you invulnerable for 10s while encased in ice and also restores your mana from 0 to 100%, removes all de-buffs and can be broken by you early for AOE damage + knock back.

Same with the Hatchet's Bezerker that makes your attacks uninterruptible, gives you a 20% attack damage buff, a 25% movement speed bonus, removes all de-buffs and heals you for 30% of your health when it ends 15 seconds later.

But there are also many skills that don't seem worthy of having a CD at all.

At least this year each skill has its own CD. Last year each skill slot, 1-3, shared CDs with the same slot on all weapons. That was even worse.
    UngoodYashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Iselin said:
    Ungood said:
    Remali said:

That or "Souls-like." The developers have mentioned the Souls games as their combat inspiration many, many times. 
    I never played Souls, so I have no frame of reference, but what you described sounded a lot like how Eternal Crusade's combat was, where you have various tiers to how hard you could hit, with action targeting, and a stunning effect.

I died. First time. At level 16 to a ghost and 2 skeletons. If I were hardcore I would delete my character and start over... yeah... not gonna happen :)

Having a blast.

It's not perfect but it feels like a keeper, which is not something I would have said last year.

I remember the game being gorgeous, and it is, but I had forgotten how outstanding the sound is. I have never enjoyed the sound of chopping down a tree as much as I do here... the sound of the axe hitting the trunk and the crash of the treefall... they nailed it. Who would have thought that even after doing it 50 times or more it would still sounds good? Insect sounds, the wind... it's all extremely well done.

I'll do a more thorough impression at some point in the next couple of weeks. What I'll say for now is that it feels worthy of my time.

[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Iselin said:
    I died. First time. At level 16 to a ghost and 2 skeletons. If I were hardcore I would delete my character and start over... yeah... not gonna happen :)

Having a blast.

It's not perfect but it feels like a keeper, which is not something I would have said last year.

I remember the game being gorgeous, and it is, but I had forgotten how outstanding the sound is. I have never enjoyed the sound of chopping down a tree as much as I do here... the sound of the axe hitting the trunk and the crash of the treefall... they nailed it. Who would have thought that even after doing it 50 times or more it would still sounds good? Insect sounds, the wind... it's all extremely well done.

I'll do a more thorough impression at some point in the next couple of weeks. What I'll say for now is that it feels worthy of my time.

I managed to sneak in a few hours yesterday, just before my holidays. Your observations closely resemble mine. While harvesting I really noticed to quality of the sound effects and how non-grating they were. The game looks lush with special mention to the environmental effects like fog and the lightning, another game really showing this to great effect is, coincidentally, Valheim.

Combat flows a bit better then before although my current weapon of choice, fire staff, does lack impact. Animals look stunning but other characters could use a bit more love. Crafting works great and my overclocked 1070, 32gb and i7 run the game at max settings hovering around 40-45 fps which I am perfectly content with.

Who would have thought, Crowfall, SOLO and New World all competing for my time in a single month. Lets keep the MMORPG revival going.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Scot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer