Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best month for MMORPGs in years?

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
edited July 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
With Crowfall's launch, Ashes of Creation's Alpha and NDA drop, plus New World going into Beta for anyone that bought the game next week... this feels like a bit of life is back in the MMORPG genre.

It's weird having to actually choose between games to play or dig into.  Been a long time since I've had that.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

TokkenScotNanfoodleGdemamibcbullyYashaX[Deleted User]

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    It's definitely a positive time in the MMORPG community.  Now, if they'd bother with a PvE-centric release that I would want to play.  (The operative word in that sentence is 'release').

[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I think the whole MMO market is failing is wrong. We have never had so many options on MMOs to play as we do now. Sure, we dont get as many new MMOs as in the past. But we get regular expansions every year for many, many MMOs. It is a good year for MMOs, I will agree with that. Few more on the radar for 2021.
    [Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Mendel said:
    It's definitely a positive time in the MMORPG community.  Now, if they'd bother with a PvE-centric release that I would want to play.  (The operative word in that sentence is 'release').

Pantheon is the PvE one at the top of my list but I think it seems very, very far away.  Embers Adrift (Saga of Lucimia) is and always has been an extremely long shot.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    With Crowfall's launch, Ashes of Creation's Alpha and NDA drop, plus New World going into Beta for anyone that bought the game next week... this feels like a bit of life is back in the MMORPG genre.

It's weird having to actually choose between games to play or dig into.  Been a long time since I've had that.

This is literally an article I'm working on for this week. And they say MMOs are dead....

At least not this month they aren't.
    Slapshot1188IselinYashaX[Deleted User]
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Crowfalls launch is definitely something to be celebrated, even if it isn't going as well as everyone hoped.

Alphas and betas I couldn't care about.

New World launching later this year will also be an exciting event. Whilst I expect it to do poorly, I still hope it succeeds. This will be the first AAA MMORPG to be released by a western studio since 2014! Thats a hell of a long time without a big budget mmo! So, I want it to succeed purely so that it's failure doesn't scare off other big studios.

I still firmly believe the genre is in big trouble and will remain in trouble for at least another 3 years. However, we're approaching the point where a lot of indie mmorpgs are getting ready to release. Whilst I don't think indie mmos are going to save the genre, I do think that they'll inspire the next generation of AAA games.
    MendelGdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mendel said:

Pantheon is the PvE one at the top of my list but I think it seems very, very far away.  Embers Adrift (Saga of Lucimia) is and always has been an extremely long shot.

Those are the only two PvE titles I'm aware of, outside of some Asian import.  I wonder how viable Crowfall or New World are as purely PvE experiences.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Mendel said:

Those are the only two PvE titles I'm aware of, outside of some Asian import.  I wonder how viable Crowfall or New World are as purely PvE experiences.

Crowfall... zero.
    New World... we will see.
    [Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    lotrlore said:

This is literally an article I'm working on for this week. And they say MMOs are dead....

Don't forget SOLO's release like Slap did. ( Or was that last month?)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    lotrlore said:

Don't forget SOLO's release like Slap did. ( Or was that last month?)
    Forget and left out are two different things.

[Deleted User]KyleranTheocritus

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Mr409Wins said:
    Mendel said:

Crowfall--great. Why am I getting whacked right after logging in? Why am I losing my gear?

You have to actually go into specific zones to encounter any pvp, and currently there is no gear drop on death (you lose some or all of the gold you are carrying). It also has elves, minotaurs, centaurs, half-giants, fae, and even ferrets as playable races so overall it sounds right up your alley.
    [Deleted User]