Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Most Amazing Place in Gaming

BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
I know, I know, hyperbolic title but I think at least the intro of this video will resonate with a lot of posters here.

Dare to Dream B)
Ungood[Deleted User]MaxBacon

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I feel that!
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Problem is that SC doesn't have the population SWG had pre-cu, so unless you are just taking in the sights, what is the point? It was the people who made SWG what it was for most most of us vets and you got to know everyone by name on your server. It was easy to come across random people a lot in the wilds because it was busy all the time. Dantooine was was literally the most congested housing wise of any planet, so there were always people around in random spots.

Most of Theed was unused by anyone unless you needed the librarian achievement really.  People hit Theed for duels on the starport steps mostly, or parking their advertising bots, or image design ect. The cantina was hit or miss, but as a noob the fields behind the cantina were good for grinding. It was busy off and on. For me the spot I loved was Mos Eisley because it was the most iconic location.

Coronet was where you went for doc and dance buffs, and nearby shopping and was always busy. Lok is where you went to hide or start a city because it was ugly and most people didn't spend much time there unless they lived on it, or where grinding for something. If you were a Jedi you leave an alt camped at starport because there was only one way on and off and that's a good place to camp as a Bounty Hunter. Not sure SC will ever achieve that, because while SWG was a sandbox, it was also Star Wars, and even if that guy didn't care about Star Wars, most of us did after playing SWG. I mean, lightsabers, duh.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Tiller said:
    Problem is that SC doesn't have the population SWG had pre-cu, so unless you are just taking in the sights, what is the point?

The point of SC is what is hoped it will become as it does not yet exist. Playable fragments of that whole are all that is available.

When it is finally released in a cohesive state it may well be remarkable. Until then any released sci-fi MMORPG should provide a more complete experience.

An experience like that of SWG would require you seek that specifically.
  • Nathan78Nathan78 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    dgcustomerfirst  said:
    I know, I know, hyperbolic title but I think at least the intro of this video will resonate with a lot of posters here.

Dare to Dream B)

upvote for the game, not the location. =/

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Duskwood in WoW vanilla was much more amazing place in a game. It managed to combine beautiful place and music with related gameplay.

Star Citizen just spends huge effort at creating the place and music. Then they use it for videos and kind of stop there.
    GdemamiTalmien

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    The Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea of Guild Wars 1 both have a special place in my heart. 

Tsushima island in Ghost of Tsushima is absolutely gorgeous.

The worldbuilding in Tellius (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance) is top-notch and is loaded with maps that I still remember after all these years.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited July 2021
    Looks good but like I always ask where's the gameplay?
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    I appreciate the graphic quality and the overall scale of the city, but IMO the style is uninspired and bland. I am not saying it is bad. I am just saying, it leaves me with no emotion. I cannot say for sure "I've seen this elsewhere." But maybe I did, and it certainly feels like it.
    Brainy
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    It's cool to fly in a fully modeled gas planet, specially knowing that it's even bigger than our real life earth.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2021
    "Banners in the wind,sounds of cherry blossoms swaying in the wind" .i think not.
    This is called stretching the facts in a SUPER MASSIVE large way.

"Not too many bugs" LMAO you have to actually have something going on to have bugs.
    "Extremely talented"If yo ugave 300 million to 90% of the studios out there to build a game,we would like get a BETTER game than SC from 90% of those studios.

"Determined to see this through"what this dude is a mind reader,how does he know what is going through Roberts and company minds?Through to WHAT,there is no finish line and imo never will be because once Roberts and CO declare this finished it is going to take  a BOATLOAD of criticsm becuase he is already way over budget and will NEVER deliver a 300 million dollar game.

Soooooooo let me guess,this dude is a partner influencer,i would remove him because he did more to turn me off than to influence me.

Imagine a game that is not nearly done nd he finds it SPECIAL..lol,well i guess a lot of defunct studios wish they had mroe of these guys to sell their crappy product to ,they wouldn't be defunct.
    Babuinix

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I experienced that in Elite Dangerous... before.

But yeah, it looks cool indeed.
    But a simple sunset in Valheim beats it.
    Elite Dangerous doesn't have fully modeled gas giants so you couldn't have experienced it in ED lol

In ED you have a texture of a gas giant and can only fly around it not go inside it. Star Citize gas giant used to be like that also, see the footage in the first minute is old crusader then the last part is new crusader.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2021
    It's a beautifully crafted location. It was to expect Crusader and Orison would be the artists flexing, and it still translates on an unique place, the contrast between locations art-wise of this game is quite impressive and glad they don't re-use assets much that is what tends to make locations in games feel visually diluted.

I tend to wonder how impactful would be if mainstream MMO devs were putting this level of quality into their worlds more often, worlds that focus more on being immersive and having that "wow" factor as you travel and visit different places; something SC achieves well with its scale.

Vrika said:
    Duskwood in WoW vanilla was much more amazing place in a game. It managed to combine beautiful place and music with related gameplay.
    It ain't a fantasy game it's not something you can be go crazy on because of the realism everything needs, everything is to be in lore, etc... SC per lore is also not crazy on sci-fi with its technology resembling both the old mixed with the high-tech, somewhat like Star Wars instead of star trek.

Beyond that, the detail work is there, on Orison on the spaceport after you land there is a lore piece where you see information on the huge thrusters that keep the landing zone platforms from falling lower in the atmosphere.  In that lore bit it says the locals refer to them as "the Orison massage" because periodically you can feel the thrusters fire. 

If you happen to have a controller with vibration plugged in, periodically while you are around Orison it will vibrate as that same thing happens. Plays out by hearing a boom followed by a screen shake, when connecting it to the lore not understanding what it was became clear it's the landing zone thrusters. 

The work put on so many of these details just translates in the boost the whole experience gets when players get when they visit it. And I guess that's exactly in line with the pitch the game "MAH IMMERSION" xD
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Guys rather than ED and SC taking pot shots at each other, don't you think it is great we have a game like ED and eventually will get SC. I do anyway.
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Not inspired by this at all, was just meh to me.  This is the best place this person has seen in this entire game?  I would have expected better to be honest.

I am not tracking this game, but if this is the best they have, how disappointing.
    GdemamiBabuinix

Magnifique  B)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I know some people are graphics>gameplay but I gotta have some solid gameplay....Judgements are reserved until the game releases  and is available to all of us or shuts down.
    [Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited July 2021
    eoloe said:
    I appreciate the graphic quality and the overall scale of the city, but IMO the style is uninspired and bland. I am not saying it is bad. I am just saying, it leaves me with no emotion. I cannot say for sure "I've seen this elsewhere." But maybe I did, and it certainly feels like it.
    I have played a fair bit of it all and the game has an insane amount of details, great lightning, shadowing etc. It does however feel and look, by lack of a better description, sterile. Many characters look, and move like mannequins and there is little humanity to it all. It is almost as if an advanced AI created this world and its inhabitants but doesn’t know what emotion means, uncanny valley on another level. 

On a technical level very little matches SCs graphics, on an emotional level I can name dozens of, new and older, games that look better and evoke more ‘feels’ and a sense of being real because of it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Theocritus
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Lotro,under a blanket of stars
    Ungood

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Brainy said:
    Not inspired by this at all, was just meh to me.  This is the best place this person has seen in this entire game?  I would have expected better to be honest.

I am not tracking this game, but if this is the best they have, how disappointing.
    I have to agree with you, this direct location was not impressive to me at all, but that idea of having played many games over many years, and getting to the point of all them being 'meh' and then to walk into that one special game, and have your love of the open world relit, where the game comes alive to you again, is more what stuck with me.

I feel where the narrator is coming from with this, even if I do not share that game with them, I understand that moment.
    BabuinixBrainy
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

:* 
    Crusader Gas Giant size compared with RL planets/mooms and In-game ones.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2021
    Ungood said:
    Brainy said:

I have to agree with you, this direct location was not impressive to me at all, but that idea of having played many games over many years, and getting to the point of all them being 'meh' and then to walk into that one special game, and have your love of the open world relit, where the game comes alive to you again, is more what stuck with me.

I feel where the narrator is coming from with this, even if I do not share that game with them, I understand that moment.

I think SC works more at the scale of things. It's the traveling down to space to what you see as a dot far away in space, gets to enter the atmosphere of a fully realized gas giant, then close down to land on a crafted to detail landing zone like this. That much is a rather unique feeling as it mixes the scale procedural gen allows, and hand-crafted lore-driven locations.

Then it's really the variety, like with Arccorp that is inspired on Star Wars Coruscant, and it feels like that.

Artists wise is a realistic game, it won't push either on fantasy or on overly sci-fi (say more star wars instead of star trek with far less alien culture), locations are following that tone and that feels to be harder to make more unique as you can kinda predict how it'll look and feel. This Crusader is the headquarters of a major in-lore company ship manufacturer mixed in with a tourism approach, so can notice the corporate aspect in its design. 

Probably SC's artists will excel when they have locations to create out of the sphere of a corporate or military tone, especially when it will get to Alien stuff.  
    Ungood
    Wargfoot said:
    I hope the best for SC and the backers; however, I'm growing weary of hype and no product.  I don't see anything here that isn't available - to play right now - in other games.
    I think great part of the appeal is having all those things in one single game though.

B)