Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic: Legends Shutting Down Before It Officially Launches, Servers Closing October 31st | MMORPG.co

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageMagic: Legends Shutting Down Before It Officially Launches, Servers Closing October 31st | MMORPG.com

Magic: Legends, the ARPG set in the Magic card game's Multiverse, is shutting down before it ever officially began, seeing its servers shutter on October 31st.

Read the full story here

Tokken

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    This is sad as I have a few friends who love this game. However, at least they're refunding all purchases. Decent of them.
    [Deleted User]KyleranPo_ggstrawhat0981foppoteeUngood
  • DekahnDekahn Member UncommonPosts: 90
    The only shock is that this came this quickly. Still sad to see the shutdown regardless.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    They put a lot of work into the game and were actually changing things for the better. Guess they didn't pull in the amount of money that the people behind the curtain wanted. Really sad, wasn't a great game but wasn't horrible either. Enjoyed what little I played of it and like I said it was actually getting better.
    [Deleted User]Alomarsschrupp
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Sad to see people lose jobs, happy to see consumers victorious against ridiculous MTX. Sure they were changing it slowly but first impressions are lasting.
    DekahnScotFrodoFraginsAlomarGorwemcrippinszigalucard[Deleted User]AgeniGdemamiand 3 others.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited June 2021
    "and for those who used prepaid Arc Cards, you'll see your credits hit your account in the same time frame, with an extra $10 for your troubles."

That is pretty decent of them. I am sure the CEO Stephen D'Angelo will not have to process the refunds himself one at a time, unlike some other preposterous "studios" out there.
    [Deleted User]FrodoFraginsKyleran[Deleted User]Gdemamifoppotee
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    Too bad. I really liked the game. It needed improvement, but still it was a good game.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I expected the game to shut down but not this quickly. I guess these days there is less leeway for failure.
    McSleazUngood

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    no wonder, this game absolutely deserved to shut down, game was pure mess and showed how to make everything wrong
    Ungood
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited June 2021
    Magic Legends, to me, felt like a pile of leftover and reused parts cobbled together to try and make a game out it all.
    GdemamisakerUngood

Joined - July 2004

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    nah cryptic studios is a good developer and their games are successful
    the game was rough, but like the article says it was beta, didnt officially launch yet
    then you got people over here trying to compare it to lost ark, a korean mmo that launched officially in 2018.
    HarikenAeanderGdemamiLark3m
  • Cheecher2Cheecher2 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    having paid classes on launch, boy u must be high as fk
    RemyVorenderGdemami
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I thought it would take years for a game developer to utterly waste a high profile IP as bad as Crystal Dynamics did with Avengers. It turns out Cryptic accomplished that in less than a year.

RemyVorenderMcSleazKyleran[Deleted User]ScotGdemamifoppotee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Sad that greed killed what could've been a great MTG game.
    GdemamisschruppUngood
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    They knew Lost Ark was gonna kill it off.
    BruceYeeGdemamiCheecher2
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Maybe people are getting sick and tired of games built around a cash shop.
    DhampirinmysightsGdemamisschruppfoppotee
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited June 2021

Kratier said:

the game was rough, but like the article says it was beta, didnt officially launch yet

then you got people over here trying to compare it to lost ark, a korean mmo that launched officially in 2018.

This has nothing to do with Cryptic. This all about the parent companies greed. PWE is one of the worse game companies. Just look what they have done to Star Trek and Neverwinter. And don't forget about Torchlight 3.
    elveoneKyleranGdemamiTacticalZombehfoppotee
  • iicecubeiicecube Member UncommonPosts: 53
    One of the most fastest shut-down game in 2021 before fully launch.
    Gamers dont even look back on this game, another one will be sword legend online.
    Gdemami
  • xkeeperxkeeper Member UncommonPosts: 45
    TLDR: We couldnt suck as much money as we hoped for, we gave up. Thx
    HarikenGdemami
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,424
    I thought it would take years for a game developer to utterly waste a high profile IP as bad as Crystal Dynamics did with Avengers. It turns out Cryptic accomplished that in less than a year.

Mythic and Warhammer Online? Behavior and Eternal Crusade? But I digress.

Shame to see it go. The game had potential and I was actually looking forward to trying it. Far worse games survive.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    People are trying to make this one some kind of win for the players as they rebel against unfair monetization but that is completely bulshit. The game failed because it was Magic the Gathering action RPG. You collected cards and every card was either a summon or an aoe attack. All creature cards felt the and all attack cards felt the same. In the end your deckbuilding basically went down to how much of each of those two types cards you wanted in your deck. And because you drew cards at random from that deck every build felt the same as any other build. There were some minor synergies and card interactions but they were either always active or you could not pull them off consistently so they didn't really matter that much. And to top it all off there were no randomly generated maps or items so you knew everything by heart by the end of day 2 of you playing the game. The monetization didn't help but it was the gameplay that failed the game because it doesn't matter if you can buy a new class or a new spell in the cash shop when all the classes feel absolutely identical and all the spells feel absolutely identical.
    ScotGdemamiTalmien[Deleted User]
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Hariken said:

Kratier said:

This has nothing to do with Cryptic. This all about the parent companies greed. PWE is one of the worse game companies. Just look what they have done to Star Trek and Neverwinter. And don't forget about Torchlight 3.

Perfect World let their subsidiaries and partners decide on how to monetize their products. That is why STO and Neverwinter are successful as one of the most greedily monitized free-to-play games and why Torchlight 3 failed as a buy-to-play game and why Gigantic failed as a fairly monetized free-to-play game and why Remnant: From the Ashes, Torchlight 1, 2 and Hob succeeded as buy-to-play games.
    Gdemami
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Somewhat unsympathetic. Except towards those that only get Arc credit as refund.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    This is what happens when you release a game that is of both poor quality and monetization. The only people here who get my sympathy are any devs that were let go because Arc sucks.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    They get credit for being decisive but it was always a very bad ARPG,
    mcrippinsCelciusFrodoFragins[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Normally, something like this would get a RIP. In cases like this, I'm not sure what you say... Condolences, maybe?
    Ungood

I self identify as a monkey.