Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Ark Releases Astalgia Summer Update Trailer - Summer Roadmap Releases Detailed | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2021 in Videos Discussion

imageLost Ark Releases Astalgia Summer Update Trailer - Summer Roadmap Releases Detailed | MMORPG.com

During E3, some fantastic news released for fans waiting for Lost Ark in the North America and the EU. Amazon Game Studios will be bringing Smilegates ARPG MMO westward, this fall. In the meantime, those interested in playing Lost Ark might enjoy the new Astalgia Summer Update trailer, which shows off some of the changes headed to the game during the summer.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Boooo! ......and we have to miss out unless you use a vpn. Looks cool though.
    maskedweasel
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,179
    Tiller said:
    I hope some of this comes over when the game releases. Fingers crossed!
    Tilleretlar[Deleted User]

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    "revamps of several systems to make leveling easier" sure sounds like trouble. Hopefully this won't be just another game where mobs basically stand there and wait to die without fighting back.
    Herithiusetlar
  • Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited June 2021

Tiller said:

I hope some of this comes over when the game releases. Fingers crossed!

I HIGHLY doubt the global release version will release up to date with the Korean one, and that's where this event, and new content will be added to. They may do some sort of expedited release schedule, but it would be completely against the norm to release a new version up to date with the home region, I mean, can you even name one game where that happened?

Quizzical said:

"revamps of several systems to make leveling easier" sure sounds like trouble. Hopefully this won't be just another game where mobs basically stand there and wait to die without fighting back.

Usually that means they're streamlining things, as in cutting out a pile of side quests, increasing main quest rewards, and just giving players new equipment during the level up phase, rather than expecting players to farm it.
    maskedweaseletlarTokken
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    always some passive aggressive whining douchebag in the comments section

game is amazing, cant wait for global, gonna be playing it day 1
    maskedweaselashiru_1978McSleazTokken
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Years of waiting for this flushed down the drain. It isnt even a MMORPG anymore, they turned it into a MOBA. The hardest PvE content and PvP content is all normalized so gear, stats, etc dont even matter. So unbelievably dumb.
    Alomar
    Years of waiting for this flushed down the drain. It isnt even a MMORPG anymore, they turned it into a MOBA. The hardest PvE content and PvP content is all normalized so gear, stats, etc dont even matter. So unbelievably dumb.
    Admittedly I don't know a bunch about the development recently. I'm getting caught up. I did read something about a battle Royale mode, but I didn't hear about any moba type matches. It sounds a lot like there's a bunch of raids and difficulties and story coming down the pipe. 

I hope it's not strictly a moba. 

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

The update Is essentially makes whaling a lot less valuable (boosts worth less, books worth less, T3 being easier to ilvl 1370 etc...) and really makes the flow for new players/characters a lot better.

Being able to skip region quests is a huge time-saver and even options to level alts faster through the system is super convenient for free-players.

I'm so happy they are taking the direction of making the game more accessible and really lowering the benefits of whaling hard for most of the game. Obviously past ilvl 1370 it's pretty much the same but everything before that is so much more convenient and by being able to raise alts easier to 1370 it also makes the 1370+ a lot more accessible.

TLDR; Insanely good update that shows the developers do care about monetization being overwhelming in LAO and are really striving to make the game convenient for all types of spenders. Can't wait!

maskedweasel[Deleted User]BruceYee
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Hell mode is only a title and a skin. You get no drops in Hell mode. It's an achievement. 

Also you still need to meet the min ilvl to enter the raid.  
    maskedweaselFrodoFragins
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766

Kumapon said:

Hell mode is only a title and a skin. You get no drops in Hell mode. It's an achievement. 

Also you still need to meet the min ilvl to enter the raid.  

Pretty much, recent updates did equalize that content more. The game updates been responsive and aware of some of the drama-llamas. The Smilegate CEO had recently been talking NA/EU on how players view this late-game stuff differently from KR; and that seems what Amazon might be working around rebalances.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Kratier said:

I tried it and did not like it.

1. The controls are like a MOBA - you use RMB to move and LMB to attack with QWER for other attacks. There was an option to reverse LMB and RMB, but it doesn't solve anything. Path of Exile and Diablo 2 have superior controls. Even similar top-down Asian MMORPGs from around 2005 like Silkroad Online, Twelve Sky 2 or Lineage 2 had better controls than this.

2. The characters and their gear makes them look like clowns right from the get-go. Usually in almost every game that's not a mobile trash, you look like a peasant for the first 10-20 levels and gradually you get better looking gear that makes you feel a bit more special and a visual indication of your efforts and progress, but not here.

I haven't played past the tutorial, in fact, I could not find the willpower to finish it, because I was already bored out of my mind with the game. I'm not saying it's bad, but I think it could've been a lot better, for me it's just an average Asian F2P MMO, nothing special. I honestly don't understand what's all the fuss around it, there is nothing groundbreaking about it. It feels like nowadays people get easily over-excited about every game that releases and the bar is really, really low.
    AugustusG[Deleted User]kertinHugor49Phixion13SetzerAlomarTokken
  • Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395
    edited June 2021

Kratier said:

1. The controls are like a MOBA - you use RMB to move and LMB to attack with QWER for other attacks. There was an option to reverse LMB and RMB, but it doesn't solve anything. Path of Exile and Diablo 2 have superior controls. Even similar top-down Asian MMORPGs from around 2005 like Silkroad Online, Twelve Sky 2 or Lineage 2 had better controls than this.

2. The characters and their gear makes them look like clowns right from the get-go. Usually in almost every game that's not a mobile trash, you look like a peasant for the first 10-20 levels and gradually you get better looking gear that makes you feel a bit more special and a visual indication of your efforts and progress, but not here.

I haven't played past the tutorial, in fact, I could not find the willpower to finish it, because I was already bored out of my mind with the game. I'm not saying it's bad, but I think it could've been a lot better, for me it's just an average Asian F2P MMO, nothing special. I honestly don't understand what's all the fuss around it, there is nothing groundbreaking about it. It feels like nowadays people get easily over-excited about every game that releases and the bar is really, really low.

For me, and many others, that couldn't be further from the truth. The controls feel tight and combat exciting. The spell effects, sound, visuals of almost all of the attacks, even counting the 14 available classes in alpha, felt amazing and powerful.

The game is an mmo, true and true. There are lots players per server, dungeons, gathering, crafting, sailing, raids etc...

You should have passed the tutorial though, maybe picked a different class that better suited you? (Although i had a different problem, i couldn't choose which one i liked better)

As an mmo player since 2000's, i can wholeheartedly recommend Lost Ark. Of course, you have to like the top down view first. I adore it.
    etlarmaskedweaselTokken

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766

For me, and many others, that couldn't be further from the truth. The controls feel tight and combat exciting. The spell effects, sound, visuals of almost all of the attacks, even counting the 14 available classes in alpha, felt amazing and powerful.

The game is an mmo, true and true. There are lots players per server, dungeons, gathering, crafting, sailing, raids etc...

You should have passed the tutorial though, maybe picked a different class that better suited you? (Although i had a different problem, i couldn't choose which one i liked better)

As an mmo player since 2000's, i can wholeheartedly recommend Lost Ark. Of course, you have to like the top down view first. I adore it.

Yeah agreed there.

The controls are a good aspect of the combat, and even had friend not liking the spell casting with the mouse and such just did keybinds to number keys and got to play how he was used to.

The thing about gear visual progression is similar to traditional MMOs, the game here also progresses from barebones visual to more complex gear pieces, up to the very end-game where the rewards many work for are very OP skin visuals for your class gear. As he didn't got past the intro didn't got to even begin to experience such things.

And I agree on the class thing, several play very differently and I ended up more annoyed with some and found myself having more fun with others.
    Tokken
  • BatzenbaerBatzenbaer Member UncommonPosts: 76
    The Sorceress is the Mage class i want to play,
    not the Half-Summoner or Bard.^^
    maskedweasel

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited June 2021

Kratier said:

If 1978 is your date of birth i'm not even surprised with your stupid take on this :D
    FrodoFraginsashiru_1978
  • Cheecher2Cheecher2 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    ok, but when is the lambo mount coming?
    McSleaz
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Played in technical alpha and really enjoyed the game. I came in expecting to play an ARPG like Diablo or Path of Exile but the only elements it shares with those games is the combat and ISO view. The game feels more like a cross between those games and an MMO like WoW and I've been looking for a new MMO to play so this seems like it will be right up my alley.

The new Sorceress class looks really good and so do some of the other updates to the UI including the addition of a DPS meter. Hopefully they'll make it into the Western release later this year.
    maskedweasel
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    edited June 2021

kertin said:

Kratier said:

If 1978 is your date of birth i'm not even surprised with your stupid take on this :D

It's not. My date of birth is 17 Nov 1991. And I'm glad my opinion got you riled up so bad you had to attempt personal insults because your object of fandom was not praised to High Heaven. xD

Did you know, if you rearrange some letters of your nickname "kertin", you can spell "kretin", which is really close to "cretin"?
    McSleaz
    Setzer said:
    Played in technical alpha and really enjoyed the game. I came in expecting to play an ARPG like Diablo or Path of Exile but the only elements it shares with those games is the combat and ISO view. The game feels more like a cross between those games and an MMO like WoW and I've been looking for a new MMO to play so this seems like it will be right up my alley.

The new Sorceress class looks really good and so do some of the other updates to the UI including the addition of a DPS meter. Hopefully they'll make it into the Western release later this year.
    Reading opinions like this just makes me excited to play. Really looking forward to it. 

edited June 2021
    Setzer said:

Reading opinions like this just makes me excited to play. Really looking forward to it. 
    At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but the more I played the harder it was to put down. I even stayed for a makeshift party in the tavern with a bunch of other people until the servers went offline at the end of beta. Was a mini celebration lol.

Combat is pretty satisfying to play as is completing each incremental objective on each map. You do the quests, and keep moving on. Each area has it's own little story, not bogged down with pointless text, but all directly tie to the main story. It's just a fun game to play for minutes, or hours.
    maskedweaselSetzer
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261

Tiller said:

Setzer said:

At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but the more I played the harder it was to put down. I even stayed for a makeshift party in the tavern with a bunch of other people until the servers went offline at the end of beta. Was a mini celebration lol.

Combat is pretty satisfying to play as is completing each incremental objective on each map. You do the quests, and keep moving on. Each area has it's own little story, not bogged down with pointless text, but all directly tie to the main story. It's just a fun game to play for minutes, or hours.

I was in the Tavern in Pridholme before servers went down...is that where you were? lol

I pretty much had the same feelings you did....wasn't sure I liked it at first but the more I played the more I enjoyed it. Played it every night the alpha was going and was actually bummed when it ended. I think part of the reason I was unsure about the game initially is that I went in expecting it to be an ARPG like Diablo and that's not really what this game is.

I love MMO's that encourage exploration and have hidden items/story to collect and this game seems to have a lot of those. Each zone I went into I was trying to find all the Mokoko seeds and there were even little side quests chains that you started by clicking on things that can easily be missed. So if you like exploration and items to collect then you'll love this game.
    Tiller
    Setzer said:

Tiller said:

Setzer said:

I was in the Tavern in Pridholme before servers went down...is that where you were? lol

I pretty much had the same feelings you did....wasn't sure I liked it at first but the more I played the more I enjoyed it. Played it every night the alpha was going and was actually bummed when it ended. I think part of the reason I was unsure about the game initially is that I went in expecting it to be an ARPG like Diablo and that's not really what this game is.

I love MMO's that encourage exploration and have hidden items/story to collect and this game seems to have a lot of those. Each zone I went into I was trying to find all the Mokoko seeds and there were even little side quests chains that you started by clicking on things that can easily be missed. So if you like exploration and items to collect then you'll love this game.

Yep, couldn't remember the name. I agree the game is an MMO, not an ARPG. It reminds me a lot of Marvel Heroes; which I loved before it was revamped and then shut down. I  think the thing that I found intriguing was the game is basically a game with games, kinda like mini-games, whether it be dungeons, collections ect, they all are fun on their own. There is plenty we didn't get to experience in alpha such as the housing, ships and pirates, fishing and crafting, which the more I learn what you can do, the more I'm interested.
    maskedweasel
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Just throwing this out there, but during the long waiting for a global release period, apparently a lot of Korean players quit, as supposedly the game was drying up in regards to content, and people were getting frustrated with raids. If they're doing things to improve matters, that'd be good.

As for monetization, that can have a lot to do with the publisher in charge, as there have been cases where the global version was actually worse than the Korean one, namely due to companies like Aeria Games. Amazon Games is a complete unknown in this regard I believe, so we'll have to wait, and see how they do things in the long run.
    Tiller
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    I really want to play it again, made a beserker and shadowhunter.  Going to make a soulfist next.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Kratier said:

I found out that they have a force move key. So you can rebind that to "w" and use that to navigate. I just bind all the attacks to my 19 button mouse which is how I play Path of Exile.

You should not use the click to move as it will cause pain in the long run.
    ashiru_1978
    Chamber of Chains