Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World's Scot Lane Addresses Pay To Win Concerns, Showcases Upcoming MMO During Summer Game Fest

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2021 in Videos Discussion

imageNew World's Scot Lane Addresses Pay To Win Concerns, Showcases Upcoming MMO During Summer Game Fest 2021 | MMORPG.com

In a deep dive video today as part of Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest 2021, the Amazon Games team showcased New World, its upcoming MMORPG, as well as touched on a few pressing questions, including the concerns around its cash shop and the idea of 'pay to win.'

Read the full story here

Comments

• LucixLucix Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited June 2021
    "The game is going to grow and grow and grow, and we're going to see where that takes us." Meaning, more stuff in the store which give players a boost. But at launch it will only be cosmetics, yay?
    WhytewulfMendel[Deleted User]
  • WhytewulfWhytewulf Member UncommonPosts: 23

Lucix said:

"The game is going to grow and grow and grow, and we're going to see where that takes us." Meaning, more stuff in the store which give players a boost. But at launch it will only be cosmetics, yay?

I am hoping this is where it's going. I could certainly see in 2 years or so, if the game is successful, bringing new players in and offering some way of "catching up" if it's within reason.

Alomar[Deleted User]
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127

Lucix said:

pretty much this. I dont really see why a lot of players seem to be so upset at it. As llong as there is not a player boost at launch, most games have implemented them in some sort of fashion successfully (FFXIV)
    goemoe
  • MrJatobiMrJatobi Member UncommonPosts: 67
    The issue I have with cash-shops is simple: pay to win. If it's all cosmetic, or even simple boosts to EXP, I have no issues with it. The question, however, is what exactly are they offering in the cash shop?

New World will have a huge progression line with skills, abilities, and crafting. Will the cash shop basically make it a moot point to level? Will they have "tier skips" so you can become "x" level at any time? Will it have insane EXP boosts like x200% for an hour?

I don't have issues with boosting experience gains, so long as it's not game breaking and allow a player to start the game and max out in a couple days when it takes normal players a month to do so.

The issue I'm concerned with is the effects these "boosts" will have on crafting and material farming. A lot of the crafting is limited on your ability to find/farm materials. To get the good stuff, you have to work hard to find and harvest the items. Will these "boosts" make it too easy to gain these items? Will these boosts make normal crafting so bad that you require these boosts to make good quality gear with sockets and good stats?

I'm all for them making extra cash, and I'm not entirely against simple boosts like 50% exp boosts for 30 minutes, etc. But there's a limit, and these should be given to regular players without the need to pay for them as login bonuses or something, to make it "fair" as a cash shop can be.

The only way it'll work and not be pay-to-win is making it cosmetic only, which I doubt will happen.
    Mallyx
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited June 2021
    This video is also filled with lore teasing if you want to know more. This is the most information I have seen on the games lore.
    [Deleted User]
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited June 2021
    First 10 min of the video is all about, lore, game content, combat and direction of the game. At the 10 min mark is the interview with the lead developer.

P2W topic starts @ 16:21
    DragonyckChampieArglebargle
  • jungmtsjungmts Member UncommonPosts: 42
    To be honest I don't think boosts will be too relevant in this game. It seems it will be a very casual game, so everyone will probably be max level within the first week. I think boosts are only a concern in MMO's such as BDO where your level can make a huge difference. Move on guys.
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited June 2021
    The lore teases were nice, but I don't know how much of a 'deep dive' this really was. Very much looking forward to playing - based on my past experiences with the game - but as one of those not currently able to test, I was hoping for a bit more new meat to keep me satisfied.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mr409Wins said:
    Before anyone balks at Pay-to-Win, remember this is a game, and people play games to win. Kind of like in football, college football if you will. The game is set for each side to do their best to win. And if you're not winning and you get benched, you only have yourself to blame.

I've yet to see anyone buying a touchdown, home run or a goal.

Slapshot1188KyleranScot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• vampywiz17vampywiz17 Member UncommonPosts: 15

Mendel said:

Mr409Wins said:

Before anyone balks at Pay-to-Win, remember this is a game, and people play games to win. Kind of like in football, college football if you will. The game is set for each side to do their best to win. And if you're not winning and you get benched, you only have yourself to blame.

And you saw a rich guy on football team that he use expensive dietary supplement, expensive private coach, etc...? The other poor guy in the team is training for the match every day in the park for free...
    LeFantome
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    What i got out of that was a lot of BS political type statements.Even worse is associating yourself with that asshat Keighley who if ever there was a person who only cared about making money it is that dude.He couldn't give a crap about any of the products in his event,he is just counting the numbers,the money he rolls in doing these BS events.

"as transparent as we can" does anyone on this planet believe that?.
    Amazon never got into this to make great games,they do things to make money and their first game/s showed how little they care about their games.

I am not saying TNW will be total rubbish because there are loads of those games coming through the turn styles everyday.It will however be over hyped and heavily marketed to paint a Mona Lisa when in reality it is just some amateur grade artist work.
    BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Mr409Wins said:

I play games to have fun. If I'm winning all the time, that's just not fun to me. I need a challenge. So I'll have to respectfully disagree with your point(s).
    LeFantome
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Mendel said:

Mr409Wins said:

And you saw a rich guy on football team that he use expensive dietary supplement, expensive private coach, etc...? The other poor guy in the team is training for the match every day in the park for free...

So?
    It's not an excuse to allow P2W.

ScotMendel

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    This whole pay to win discussion is a big joke. People simply love to complain. All major MMO titles have cash shops. From 100 MMO players you ask, at least 30 have a different perspective, what they see as "p2w" content. The only thing those MMO players share is their love for the game and they play it nonetheless. The only thing you complainers agree to is complaining.

Disclaimer: you can't WIN a MMO, you can only reach certain goals. Some reach them faster than other people. The purpose of a game like a MMO is NOT to win something, but to enjoy it. If you can't enjoy games, where other people have advantages due to more time to spend or more money to spend, then don't play them.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    "During the video, Lane touches on how player feedback especially have driven the production of the MMO." - That process is a double edged sword, but it always sounds good as a soundbite.

"the recent alpha patch notes that increase the amount of experience you'll need by 40% at certain levels." - Built for P2W right there.

"When we launch, we're only going to have cosmetics for sale in the store. Over the next several years, the game is going to grow and grow and grow, and we're going to see where that takes us." - So cosmetics at launch and P2W in a years time.
  • lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Doesn't matter if the cash shop is pay 2 win or not. First the games gonna be filled with bots, and second it's gonna be filled with cheaters. Said bots will then sell it all too people. Which is why the entire thing is not even worth mentioning. Even the mighty slave empire of Amazon will be able to counter it.

So since you are gonna turn a blind eye to cheaters, bots, and rmt, what does it matter if the people who made it do the same thing.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited June 2021
    Don't play at launch and just wait and see what the feedback is. You can decide with more information. Don't buy the game until you're sure.
    ScotTacticalZombehKyleran

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    its buy to play people its not a subscription based MMO. They do have to make money right ? Also casuals will not hit max in a week even before the 40% more xp to level patch you were never hitting max in a week as a casual player.
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    the people that complain about p2w are the same people who think its fine that you can buy gold with cash, and instant max level in WOW
    DhampirKyleran
  • ChampieChampie Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited June 2021

I suspect you've never seen Rocky IV
    Mendel
  • ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I'm glad everyone noticed the " When we launch, we're only going to have cosmetics for sale in the store. Over the next several years, the game is going to grow and grow and grow, and we're going to see where that takes us. " bullshit. It won't be pay to win to start with, but they'll keep an eye out for pay to win in the future. I hate cash shops in games. Miss the days of UO,EQ,AO etc when you just buy the game and play it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Champie said:

I suspect you've never seen Rocky IV
    Or Cobra Kai Season 3.
    Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited June 2021
    I think people should be less concerned about P2W or more about how well hacking and cheating are controlled.

Been my experience most of that stuff doesn't come to light until after a game's launch as the folks who engage in it try not to show their hand too early.

Seeing how the Amazon team has shown itself to be inexperienced in PVP player behaviors in the past I wouldn't be surprised if the cheaters have a leg up on them at release.

MendelArglebargle

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    There people here are ridiculous. If you have to real reason to complain, speculate and make shit up so you can still complain. Then argue your point even though you really don't know.

The game looks interesting. It will probably be played by most people here despite all the crying going on.
    Champie
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Kyleran said:

I think people should be less concerned about P2W or more about how well hacking and cheating are controlled.

Been my experience most of that stuff doesn't come to light until after a game's launch as the folks who engage in it try not to show their hand too early.

Seeing how the Amazon team has shown itself to be inexperienced in PVP player behaviors in the past I wouldn't be surprised if the cheaters have a leg up on them at release.

Yeah, their 'shock' that griefers were doing their usual thing (in the alpha!) really seemed utterly clueless. I guess every design team thinks they'll be the one to deliver a game that solves the pvp problem. So far, that's been right up there with death and taxes.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.