Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis' Community Sours One of the Sweetest Features - Again! | MMORPG.

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imagePhantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis' Community Sours One of the Sweetest Features - Again! | MMORPG.com

As a Phantasy Star Online fan, forged on the Dreamcast and battle tested in Phantasy Star Universe and Blue Burst, I can unequivocally say that Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis is by far the best in the series. There is, however, one major factor that could determine how the game resonates with you even more than the core game loop itself. The community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WodgeWodge Member UncommonPosts: 46
    My issue is people sitting in the central city, complaining about how the game isn't the old PSO2, while the servers are having a cow for the players actually trying to play, lag is tremendously bad at the moment, damage being applied several minutes into a fight against a world boss for instance.
    ScotValentinaUngoodiamspamicusHatefull[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

Wodge said:

My issue is people sitting in the central city, complaining about how the game isn't the old PSO2, while the servers are having a cow for the players actually trying to play, lag is tremendously bad at the moment, damage being applied several minutes into a fight against a world boss for instance.

There is some irony in hogging the server just so you can complain to players about it.
    UngoodKyleranHatefull[Deleted User]
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Wodge said:
    Tell me about it!

Yesterday, I was trying to get the high score of one of those training stations that give you skill points and the lag was unbearable. I gave up on achieving the time. Will try again when the servers are more stable.
    UngoodZenJelly

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

Wodge said:

especially when the old one is still live and functioning alongside the new one.
    Ungood
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Guess I wont try the game this weekend =-) Will wait till next week.
    Ungood
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2021
    Ah yes....the good ol' hentai symbol arts. "Its not what you think it is! Its just milk!" As for the Japanese (should probably add Korean as well) audience being okay with it, it just feels like they've been pushing further and further over the years in terms of "art" (the obsession with lolis feels like its been growing to say the least which honestly has me concerned). I feel like the only real Japanese company that does draw a line in the sand with many of these things is SE, since they dont even allow for adolescences to be visibly hurt in their story-lines (although Shadowbringers kind of bordered on that a bit, without spoiling anything).
    maskedweaselkoldmiseriamspamicusZenJellydarkhearts
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    The game is rated M for mature, if you can't handle it don't play. This article writer clearly didn't read the games rating therefore anything else he writes is worthless.
    maskedweaselUngoodiamspamicusKyleranexdeedeedeeCadizZenJellyDeathtognomesHatefullNephethand 1 other.

Archeage EU - Nui

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Valentina said:

Wodge said:

especially when the old one is still live and functioning alongside the new one.

thing is, its still the same server and same game, both sides are lagging, I know because I still keep doing daily and the lag is on both.

but I don't see people complaining, I did see some people wondering how sega could make some system worse then they was
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The game is rated M for mature, if you can't handle it don't play. This article writer clearly didn't read the games rating therefore anything else he writes is worthless.
    You didn't even read the article did you? lol
    iamspamicusZenJellyHatefull

edited June 2021
    Furdmert said:
    [mod edit]
    I think this pretty much proves the point of the article. 

Not to mention mature isn't the highest rating, adults only is, and based in what I've personally seen in pso2, it should be rated adults only which is 18+ 

(edit) 
    If you follow the link in the article related to the M rating it says:

Rated M for: Blood, Partial Nudity, Strong Language, Violence

On the official page Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis | Xbox

It says T for Teen: 
    • Language
    • Simulated Gambling
    • Suggestive Themes
    • Violence
    • In-Game Purchases
    • Users Interact
    But the actual rating should be Adults Only, because there isn't just "partial nudity" there are images of explicit sexual acts on symbol chat.

"Titles rated AO (Adults Only) have content that should only be played by persons 18 years and older. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity. Microsoft does not support AO titles."

So yeah, you guys saying "M for mature, It's M for Mature" don't know what the hell you're talking about lol.

I'd bet once Microsoft really gets an understanding of what's happening SEGA will probably disable symbol chat. 
    Post edited by Vaross on
    koldmiseriamspamicusScotZenJellydarkheartsHatefullNephethalkarionlog

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Furdmert said:
    Rated M......find something else to cry about Snowflake.

Not to mention mature isn't the highest rating, adults only is, and based in what I've personally seen in pso2, it should be rated adults only which is 18+ 

(edit) 

It says T for Teen: 
    • Language
    • Simulated Gambling
    • Suggestive Themes
    • Violence
    • In-Game Purchases
    • Users Interact
    But the actual rating should be Adults Only, because there isn't just "partial nudity" there are images of explicit sexual acts on symbol chat.

"Titles rated AO (Adults Only) have content that should only be played by persons 18 years and older. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity. Microsoft does not support AO titles."

So yeah, you guys saying "M for mature, It's M for Mature" don't know what the hell you're talking about lol.

I'd bet once Microsoft really gets an understanding of what's happening SEGA will probably disable symbol chat. 
    Player Chat is never considered as part of Ratings, in fact almost all games will state that Player interaction is not Rated.

This is because, no company would every take responsibly for what ranging asshat gamers can and will say and do.
    RyonoxHatefullalkarionlog[Deleted User]Valdheim
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Furdmert said:

(edit) 

It says T for Teen: 
    • Language
    • Simulated Gambling
    • Suggestive Themes
    • Violence
    • In-Game Purchases
    • Users Interact

Player Chat is never considered as part of Ratings, in fact almost all games will state that Player interaction is not Rated.

This is because, no company would every take responsibly for what ranging asshat gamers can and will say and do.
    I think that's an interesting point, because symbol chat isn't chat, necessarily.  They are images, and many of them show really graphic stuff. Chat is one thing, and it seems to be more easily moderated. This is different, and whether or not SEGA looks the other way its still extremely against Microsofts terms of service. 

Personally I feel bad for the kids that need the attention so desperately that they post this kind of stuff. 
    iamspamicusUngoodDeathtognomesHatefull

• ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Seeing dicks pop up in animated chat is pretty hilarious if you ask me.
    bgzgamerCadizNepheth
  • genova2809genova2809 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    in japan the game is rated as 17+ =) everything is said =)
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Ungood said:
    Furdmert said:

(edit) 

It says T for Teen: 
    • Language
    • Simulated Gambling
    • Suggestive Themes
    • Violence
    • In-Game Purchases
    • Users Interact

I think that's an interesting point, because symbol chat isn't chat, necessarily.  They are images, and many of them show really graphic stuff. Chat is one thing, and it seems to be more easily moderated. This is different, and whether or not SEGA looks the other way its still extremely against Microsofts terms of service. 

Personally I feel bad for the kids that need the attention so desperately that they post this kind of stuff. 
    I don't know how this Symbol Chat works, so I am not going to make assumptions on it.

Just I know that if you look at game ratings, most of the time they specifically note that this does not include online player interactions and chat.

Again. I am not sure how their symbol chat works, but I am sure they have a report button if someone sends you chat images you find offensive, vulgar, or profane, etc.

JHLotB
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Randomuser2020876Randomuser2020876 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    So, this article is basically the author being upset the game makes it hard to be a hall monitor? Finally, a positive reason to play PSO:2. If it wasn't still a janky old game with a new coat of paint slapped on, that is.
    CadizZenJelly
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,141
    edited June 2021
    Furdmert said:

(edit) 

It says T for Teen: 
    • Language
    • Simulated Gambling
    • Suggestive Themes
    • Violence
    • In-Game Purchases
    • Users Interact

Uhhh, yeah, Xbox is kind of it's own thing and has a notorious history of all kinds of rating board f%^kery to get product on their shelves and into hands of teenagers the world over.

Steam page: image EpicGames page: image Microsoft Store Page: image Oh, and that Xbox One page you linked? It has a... yep, a Age Gate for viewing its content. image

This games true rating is M for Mature, it also has been so since the Japanese launch years ago ( Rated CERO D in Japan )

This is just Xbox being Xbox as always.

EDIT: Also, since some people just assume instead of knowing what actually happens, SEGA GM's periodically log in to ban such image art, plus they make Bot sweeps while doing this. But users can request image art review by clicking on the image and reporting it.

They aren't going to outright disallow image art... they have never done, that.
    maskedweaselUngoodNepheth

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
    Neoyoshi said:
    Furdmert said:

(edit) 

It says T for Teen: 
    • Language
    • Simulated Gambling
    • Suggestive Themes
    • Violence
    • In-Game Purchases
    • Users Interact

Uhhh, yeah, Xbox is kind of it's own thing and has a notorious history of all kinds of rating board f%^kery to get product on their shelves and into hands of teenagers the world over.

Steam page: image EpicGames page: image Microsoft Store Page: image Oh, and that Xbox One page you linked? It has a... yep, a Age Gate for viewing its content. image

This games true rating is M for Mature, it also has been so since the Japanese launch years ago ( Rated CERO D in Japan )

This is just Xbox being Xbox as always.

EDIT: Also, since some people just assume instead of knowing what actually happens, SEGA GM's periodically log in to ban such image art, plus they make Bot sweeps while doing this. But users can request image art review by clicking on the image and reporting it.

They aren't going to outright disallow image art... they have never done, that.
    That part that has the trailer isn't the part where you actually get into the site. That's just to view the trailer. 

And yes when you do block something it does give you the option to "report" it, but you still see plenty of assh*les thinking they're "so cool" posting nudity.

But that isn't even the point. It's not that Mature means you can have this kind of content in a game. It doesn't.  When I said people don't understand what M for Mature means.. well here's a refresher. 

Mature has sexual content, and can have nudity, a game like, say, Cyberpunk.

But PSO2's symbol chat allows for more than that. It depicts graphic sexual content, because players post it in detail.  Games that allow similar content are NOT rated M. That's my point.  On a side note, seeing the kiddies posting this kind of junk to be funny... yeah.. the opposite of Mature, to say the least.

• legacyhaxlegacyhax Member UncommonPosts: 31
    You are using a platform that many gamers go to so that we can get an idea of the game itself, instead you write a whole article about what essentially amounts to a game actually giving more leverage to players for freedom of speech / expression being a bad thing. There are already too many gatekeepers and social justice warriors everywhere else, why bring this to gaming as an "issue" to potential players?

I can see why a reporting system would be in place and can understand why Sega might want to take some of these down (racist, phobic etc), though some of these things could amount to perspective vs meaning or humor vs offensive. Jokes don't have to be clean.

Here is what happens in both a game and IRL. If you see someone who rubs you the wrong way or does not seem in tune with your own system of morals, you simply don't group with them or give them any attention. This is not a hard concept and has been successfully executed for generations.

Appreciate your perspective, really, but I think it would be better to spend your time talking about the game itself vs what you admit are a handful of bad actors.

I have not looked, does it snow in NGS? Cause I don't know how many friends I would make if there are a bunch of snowflakes on the screen.

Peace.

Hatefull
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    People seem to be basically arguing that if a game is rated M, then players should be allowed to do arbitrarily offensive things without being punished.  That's really not how it works.
    maskedweaselKyleranRoinHatefull
  • zixmarauderzixmarauder Member CommonPosts: 1
    im not sure i like your post
    Roin
  • ObligatoryFObligatoryF Member UncommonPosts: 33

legacyhax said:

Appreciate your perspective, really, but I think it would be better to spend your time talking about the game itself vs what you admit are a handful of bad actors.

They already did cover the game during it's beta.
    https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/phantasy-star-online-2-new-genesis-global-beta-the-good-and-the-bad-2000122008

In it's current state, it doesn't sound like it can properly be judged. Other players are stating the current problems that make it unplayable, which of course, would get the same response.

===========

Ratings, ah, yes. Let's forget "PSO2 The Animation", which confusingly even got an English dub before the game was even brought over.

Despite the RATING of the game in Japan, they have a watchable 12 episode AD for the game featuring all age-ranges enjoying the game daily, notably the extras being in grade school. Aside how awful EP4, furthered by the game/anime's "I'm a genius", "OH NO!" plot, it got it's point made of PSO2 being enjoyable for all ages. (Things would be different when compared to Episode Oracle.)

Let's also not forget PSO2 Cloud and how it also gave the Link outfit, and Link has never been rated M. Plus the Switch. It is the all-ages console whose ads primarily target parents and their teens/kids, or teens/kids playing with other teens/kids.

Then there's this fact. PSO2 is... AN MMORPG. An online game is always a license. A contract you sign to play. Not different from a digital game purchase.

If I wanted to see half that crap, I'd draw it myself or go to pixiv/other venues. This low-leveled "culture" is offensive to those with standards.

=================================

https://pso2.com/terms-and-conditions

5. USER GENERATED MATERIALS

"You hereby warrant and represent that any User-Generated Content which you synchronise with the Game Software and/or Game Footage shall not be discriminatory, racist, obscene, libelous, offensive, illegal, defamatory, inappropriate, invasive, or likely to adversely affect the reputation or goodwill of SEGA."

Legal language aside, Symbol Art is user-generated content, along with the fact you can have "those" displayed on your Twitch -and- be held liable for it if SEGA wanted to be corrupt and twist the terms to their liking. This can butterfly pretty horrendously, but no. Let's give an idiot a pass, right?

=================================

SEGA does crack down on Symbol Art but it's obviously difficult. The low-effort "meme" ones are widespread; you can only pass out bans to people and hope others learn to not use them. That's the only way to actually truly remove a SA. Fear.

I've reported a few myself, one notable especially because it was worse than a loli; they had to make it explicitly a child, text and all. As if the growing loli obsession wasn't bad enough. "Can't play PSO2NA because loli must be below a certain height" is the common gaijin sentiment..

All would be fine if these idiots kept their pathetic SA private/used them in private channels. Unless their "friends" report them, they can use them as much as they want. In public? Don't force your sad excuse of a kink onto the world...

All SEGA can do is throw down bans, but they're only ever temporary unless it's a repeat offender being banned. On the rare occasion, we'll get an adult baby crying about how "unfair" it is that they got banned despite throwing down "hundreds", aside their "IDC" attitude in-game. Don't invest if you can't have fun, and obviously don't invest if you're going to go against the terms of services.

(Aside the fact that all ToS/T&C blatantly state they can ban you for whatever reason they want.)

"SAO's Legend", a crappy browser-based MMORPG, title obvious.
    It had a part of it's terms of services where they CAN infect your PC and they will NOT be liable for it. This is why you read before you sign.
    maskedweaselQuizzicalHatefull
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    I'd take symbol art porn spam if it meant the game was playable.

Sadly, that's what's stopping me from playing the game: The servers are horrific and even though the population is VASTLY lower than it was on launch day, the servers are still crippled with insane lag ruining the game.

This is fully to blame on SEGA for only doing one short closed beta test on the microsoft xbox beta thing and having no open beta whatsoever. This is also ignoring the plethora of technical bugs, game stopping bugs, feature breaking bugs, etc... the known issues list is one of the longest I've seen in a launch game, and people keep finding more broken things.

Feels like Anthem all over again.
    Valdheim
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    It's because they allow stupid people to show their stupidity. The developers should know better that stupid people play these games.

There are two options:

1. Disable the feature

2. Allow a report system and people who post inappropriate stuff and are subsequently reported are banned permanently. Also before the implementation of this, on the same day, announce that those who report inappropriate stuff are going to get in-game rewards and those who have inappropriate stuff are going to get permanently banned, see how it will all work itself out soon.
    maskedweaselDeathtognomesalkarionlog
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited June 2021
    When I was playing this game I just avoided all the busy lobbies, that is where these types hang out to show their 'creativity'. Easy solution just avoid them.

I have never reported a player unless it is for gold selling. Players using bad words in chat or stuff like this can be easily avoided in most games. I think giving them any kind of press or attention will just make it worse. Everyone knows the lobbies to avoid and they can sit there and spam each other. 
    cheyane