Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is OpenEra? What We Know So Far About the In-Development Blockchain MMO | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,966
    Quizzical said:
    Blockchain is just a tool.  As with any other tool, what matters is the resulting product, not which tools you use to make it.

If game developers tell you that the point of their game is that they're using Java to make it, or that they're using Vulkan to make it, or that they're using Unity to make it, then you should be extremely skeptical of their game.  Those are all just tools.  They are all a means and not an end.  The real question is what interesting things are they doing with those tools.

To be clear, there's (usually) nothing intrinsically wrong with using a particular programming language, API, or game engine.  But using that particular tool must not be the point of the game.  If you make it into the point of the game, then you're surely using the tool all wrong.

And so it is with blockchain.  If the point of the game is that they're trying to find some use for blockchain, then they'll surely use it badly.  If you're using blockchain well, you'll want to talk about the cool features that you create with it, not the fact that you're using blockchain.  That blockchain was one of the tools used to create the game should merely be incidental, as with any of the other tools that you used, not a bullet point of why people should play your game.
    I agree with you on the first part, disagree on the second. Blockchain is a "tool" as you say. But it's  tool with very specific rules. It's like saying you're using a pickaxe to build a fence, if you use the wrong tool then you're doomed to fail. 

Some of these blockchain companies come out with the premise that a game is a blockchain game, with an idea in mind that those who play it automatically know what that means. 

But it's clear from the few threads on here about blockchain games that many people don't know what it means, nor do they understand what you can do with a blockchain to begin with. 

To tell you the truth, I don't blame them. It's okay to be careful when presented with something new. Especially since blockchain gets lumped together with other volatile endeavors, where people are often on the "make it big" or "lose it all" sides of the spectrum, and the media only loves to talk about those two ends of the spectrum. If somethings not "soaring" or "crashing" they don't want to talk about it... and that's why when interesting games attempting to try something different crop up, using buzz words that are as often used negatively as positively, they don't want to take the time to understand what is going on. 
    Champie

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 1,867
    edited June 11

Wizardry said:

This garbage infesting games is exciting..lmao,how much they paying this site to shill it up that much?

Furthermore the game looks like crap,so the yare putting more effort into the $$$ part than the game,why am i not surprised and WHY are we giving this crap ANY notoriety at all?

if they want to advertise fine,shove an an advert banner over there but don't try and con users with some bs about this crap game.

I love the rhetoric as well...

it is an EXCITING time,then ends with a statement "well there isn't much information out there right now",well how the hell is this EXCITING then?

Google just gives me a bunch of correlations with Tennis but no game,so there is no way this site just stumbled on to this then thought "oh wow i bet gamers just want to hear about this scam game".if it looks like crap>>it is crap.

Just because you don't understand the game doesn't mean it's a scam or crap. Just like when people scoffed at free to play games or cash shops or console MMOs or studios push to mobile. 

How did those work out?

From the perspective of the player, f2p and cash shops haven't worked out well at all. They aren't really winning planks to build a platform around, here anyway.
    Gdemami
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,966

Wizardry said:

This garbage infesting games is exciting..lmao,how much they paying this site to shill it up that much?

Furthermore the game looks like crap,so the yare putting more effort into the $$$ part than the game,why am i not surprised and WHY are we giving this crap ANY notoriety at all?

if they want to advertise fine,shove an an advert banner over there but don't try and con users with some bs about this crap game.

I love the rhetoric as well...

it is an EXCITING time,then ends with a statement "well there isn't much information out there right now",well how the hell is this EXCITING then?

Google just gives me a bunch of correlations with Tennis but no game,so there is no way this site just stumbled on to this then thought "oh wow i bet gamers just want to hear about this scam game".if it looks like crap>>it is crap.

Just because you don't understand the game doesn't mean it's a scam or crap. Just like when people scoffed at free to play games or cash shops or console MMOs or studios push to mobile. 

How did those work out?

From the perspective of the player, f2p and cash shops haven't worked out well at all. They aren't really winning planks to build a platform around, here anyway.
    Sort of.  It kept games alive that would have been dead.  It reinvigorated the industry to a degree.  I fought them too.  Don't buy into the majority of them.  I still get to play the games though. 
    Gdemami