Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online Creates New Tutorial, Creating A 'Universal Experience' For All New Players Sta

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageElder Scrolls Online Creates New Tutorial, Creating A 'Universal Experience' For All New Players Starting The MMO | MMORPG.com

When you load up a new character in The Elder Scrolls Online, typically you'd jump into the tutorial. That tutorial depended on what the latest Chapter release you owned. Now, though, ZeniMax has created what it calls a 'universal experience' for players in a new tutorial, regardless of which release you're starting with.

Read the full story here

Comments

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    A new 'universal tutorial' is unexpected but interesting.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    What I loved about this game is the different starts for different races. Is that gone now?

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Spiider said:
    What I loved about this game is the different starts for different races. Is that gone now?
    You can still start in the different factions. Well, you have to travel to your faction as they seem to funnel you into the latest expansion you own.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    One of the things I disliked most of ESO was the starting tutorial. While it was "functional", it just felt out of place to me. While I do not play ESO anymore, I would be a little more interested in giving another try just based upon this new tutorial.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    The problem with this game is that the story is all over the place. The story quest line spans across all zones, which is fine, but the problem is you can pick up multiple different expansion storylines which introduce important characters from the main story line way earlier than you should expect. The only good story flow I've seen in an MMO so far has come from Guild Wars 2 and Final Fantasy. Those have a congruent, flowing story line without a million other things being shoved in your face ( side quests not included ). ESO really dropped the ball on that.
    SovrathZenJelly
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    edited May 2021

Spiider said:

The start differed based on alliance, and that hasn't been the default case for some time now, unless one only owns the main game.

The default starting experience had been changed for each released Chapter, being now set in the chapter last added (or last one added you have access to.)

With this new tutorial, you will be able to choose from whatever starting experience you have available rather than the game defaulting to the latest one.
    foppotee

The problem with this game is that the story is all over the place. The story quest line spans across all zones, which is fine, but the problem is you can pick up multiple different expansion storylines which introduce important characters from the main story line way earlier than you should expect. The only good story flow I've seen in an MMO so far has come from Guild Wars 2 and Final Fantasy. Those have a congruent, flowing story line without a million other things being shoved in your face ( side quests not included ). ESO really dropped the ball on that.

One Tamriel does allow the player to move about on the timeline of the story pretty much at will. While this has game play benefits it makes it difficult to play the content in order without researching what was released when.

I think they would do well to add an option that would provide a more typical linear MMORPG story experience by allowing access to regions in story order for those that want such. Those players would then be able to follow the story much more easily and perhaps enjoy the game all the more for it, while those that prefer the flexibility in content approach that One Tamriel provides would still have that option.
    foppoteeKyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    In game does not look like the picture.

There old tutorial was awful,put me to sleep in a minute or two.The world looks empty then auto spawns in Frodo and a couple mates to stroll up to you.It just doesn't look realistic at all.

Why do people need a tutorial anyhow,i want a game world and i want to begin by exploring.Wow was the same way,dropped me off by some small caravan and i am suppose to just start clicking npc's to get linear quests.To me this type of linear beginning is super boring,i don't need a tutorial in any game.
    The only reason i ever saw fit to need a tutorial was because a game had a horrible UI in which a tutorial wouldn't matter because a bad UI and i am deleting the game.
    I actually embrace having to figure things out on my own it just adds a level of excitement and intrigue to my game.

I still remember realizing a Shock combo in UT99 i was like wow this is cool.I remember for the first time ever realizing a sub class system in FFXI and it was super cool.So when a game just wants me to start right away clicking npc's the ONLY npc's around me,it feels fake and boring.

Even stories,the only reason i enjoyed a story like for example within FFXi was because it involved a full group and was really tough to do so it felt exciting and challenging and very risky.Clicking npc's has about as much challenge and excitement as opening a Christmas present and finding a pair of white socks.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I like just about everything on this game.. Except combat.
    gastovski1
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    And I just started this month....
    Scot
  • NaitakalNaitakal Member UncommonPosts: 74

I like just about everything on this game.. Except combat.

I like the combat, just not in PvP.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    The game launched with a universal tutorial they payed for John Cleese voice overs, nothing spared. Then they decided to push people into the most recent expansion, not sure why they did that makes no sense to me. Now they have decided they need a universal tutorial again, what was wrong with the first one? Well anything can be improved on, we shall see if players think this does improve on all the first or subsequent starting areas.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990

Alverant said:

And I just started this month....

Back to the staring area for you! :)
  • donzin08donzin08 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    honestly the game has so much going for it, but the combat and class design is such a huge miss for me
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I am willing to try out the companion system...if it is useless NPC that follows you around then I will be done with ESO.
    Tokken

Scot said:

The game launched with a universal tutorial they payed for John Cleese voice overs, nothing spared. Then they decided to push people into the most recent expansion, not sure why they did that makes no sense to me. Now they have decided they need a universal tutorial again, what was wrong with the first one? Well anything can be improved on, we shall see if players think this does improve on all the first or subsequent starting areas.

Nothing is wrong with the first one, other than it doesn't allow the player to choose whichever of the existing starting scenarios is desired which is what they wanted to accomplish with the new starting tutorial.
    SovrathGorwe

Horusra said:

I am willing to try out the companion system...if it is useless NPC that follows you around then I will be done with ESO.

They may very well end out not simply useless but a bother. As things are now, the summons of my fiance's sorceress can sometimes be a pain with their tendency to draw aggro we'd have been happy to do without. A companion built for tanking may do much the same.

If they turn out to be a nuisance or useless I will simply not use them. I do fine without as is, and can continue to if need be.
    YashaX
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    The Coldharbor tutorial was awful. Not only that, but it possibly shoehorned you into a story you might not have envisioned for your character. Horrible, awful experience.
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Nyctelios said:
    Gorwe said:
    The Coldharbor tutorial was awful. Not only that, but it possibly shoehorned you into a story you might not have envisioned for your character. Horrible, awful experience.
    I'd rather start as a nobody arriving my faction location and that's it.

Let my imagination create a background.
    ESO is most definitely not the game for you folks.

It's all about experiencing the story the devs have created with only minor opportunities for choice which don't change the overall flow of the storyline. 

You will be the hero or else...that is your destiny. 

Or just rapidly click through all of the quest text without reading like most of player base does and just follow the markers to collect your loot.

;)

YashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited May 2021
    So you're saying that seven years after launch, they decided to finally add a tutorial rather than just dropping players into the game world and seeing if they can figure it out?
    Gdemami
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Nyctelios said:
    Gorwe said:

I'm all for open ended stories without defined overarching narratives in games, but you HAVE played an Elder Scrolls game before or...?
    [Deleted User]YashaX
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Quizzical said:
    So you're saying that seven years after launch, they decided to finally add a tutorial rather than just dropping players into the game world and seeing if they can figure it out?

No.  Not saying that at all...

Every expansion came with a new tutorial zone(teaching you to play and getting you into the new narrative of the zone), if you owned the current expansion. If you did not, it would default to the tutorial zone of the expansion prior to the most current one.
    YashaX
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Gorwe said:

I'm all for open ended stories without defined overarching narratives in games, but you HAVE played an Elder Scrolls game before or...?
    I'll ignore that you are new here, asking me if I ever played an Elder Scrolls title before.

ESO tutorial leaves little to no room for daydreaming about what you were doing before arriving at your faction.

All other TES titles leave open ended what you were or was doing before arriving at the start location.

I just really don't like that introduction. I'd rather have it cut out and toss me at the start location and in the first main quest something happens and people start noticing I have no soul.

Ok, some structure is ok for me(I always used a Dunmer or an Imp in Morrowind, always used Nord / Dunmer / Imp in Skyrim etc), it's just that I don't like this "you are a rogue pawn of MB" spiel at all. I'd much rather just have lolzy piratey adventure like the one from the start of DF Cov(because ofc I would, see me drooling all over Ixalan, SWTOR Smuggler etc).

I don't need the Coldharbor crap. Ok, maybe for like one character and that character would 99% be a Sorc. I just don't see other classes mingling with MB(especially to THAT point), some at all.
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Nyctelios said:

ESO tutorial leaves little to no room for daydreaming about what you were doing before arriving at your faction.

All other TES titles leave open ended what you were or was doing before arriving at the start location.

I don't really think that's true.

It's just a different flavor of "you're a prisoner."

While I don't actively "role play" I do have a whole fleshed-out idea of my character. For the Elder Scrolls game, I play the "same" character, exact same in every game.

I just create whole reasons why my character spans all those years let alone all those areas.

Same with Elder Scrolls Online. There's a whole reason that led me to be in that other dimension/Oblivion dimension.

As a player, you just have to fill in the blanks if you are amenable to doing that.

Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Speaking  of Cold Harbor, I just finished  the original mainline, petty good story but the amulet of kings made the final fight way too easy, especially since I was CP325 with a good gear set up.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon