Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting video about scam MMOs

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Worth watching:

GdemamiBruceYeeScot

Comments

• MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Trust me, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.

BruceYeeTuor7
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited May 2021
    I don't think there will ever be a better explanation for what's currently happening on many levels in the gaming industry than this video. This video should be mandatory viewing for every gamer.

"They're trying to trick people who don't know any better" basically sums up all scams/schemes big + small.

"Then hopefully you can protect other people" this is the hardest part IMO.

"Scammers and tricksters hate it when you talk to other people because when you talk to other people then you start to see between the cracks. Then you start to read between the lines, get other people's opinions and realize this might not actually be legitimate" - this sure does sound like some stuff that a couple people here do sometimes...

"It's a Space Marine mug, obviously it's full of Space Marines" :D

He did end by saying that he KiraTV & TheLazyPeon will be keeping an eye on scamstarters but TheLazyPeon pushed Oath on his channel? :|

Until TheLazyPeon comes clean about that in a video he will always be the guy who made a glowing video for a scamstarter but he can make everything OK with a simple admission/apology IMO.

Gdemami
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    I don't always agree with that guys perspective but this video made me subscribe.
    Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I watched only to see if there was any mention of CoE.  He did include Pantheon, which I don't think is a scam (yet); there's just using a lot of the same techniques.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Be really great to have a transcript of this, he has some good points.
    Gdemami
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    It was interesting, however I'd debate on the FoM part. He even inserts an interview, which also proves it ain't a scam, it belongs to the other category he mentioned: the utter incompetence :)

I often used to use FoM as an example on many things: interesting ideas, player interaction and advancement, corps interdependency.... and yep, also a perfect example on dev stupidity. That's how it crashed and burned several times, at every relaunch attempt.

I'm still convinced that with the simple change of opt-out pvp the game could've been a hidden gem with a niche but dedicated playerbase, instead of the multiple shutdowns and shitty kickstarter attempts at the end.
    But no, "GTFO I have a VISION, it's FFA pvp or bust!" - well, a bust it is then. :D 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Classic WoW without Old AV is a SCAM I TELL YA!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• CaspianWalshCaspianWalsh Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I think it is too easy to brand MMO development as scams when not understanding the effort in developing them.
    GdemamiTuor7