Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wyldermyth 6/15 release

ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
 Finally 1.0 for this gem any fan of Fire Emblem similar games will love this one ..

Vrika

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Scorchien said:
     Finally 1.0 for this gem any fan of Fire Emblem similar games will love this one ..

I'll get around to it, but it's really kind of ugly.

Now, Dark Deity has absolutely been scratching that indie Fire Emblem itch for me. It feels classic in all of the right ways, albeit a bit unpolished. Hell, I'd rate it over about half of the actual Fire Emblem games (not as good as Path of Radiance, Sacred Stones, Geneology, or 3H, but better than Fates, Awakening, SD, or SV, roughly on par with Blazing Sword.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:

Now, Dark Deity has absolutely been scratching that indie Fire Emblem itch for me. It feels classic in all of the right ways, albeit a bit unpolished. Hell, I'd rate it over about half of the actual Fire Emblem games (not as good as Path of Radiance, Sacred Stones, Geneology, or 3H, but better than Fates, Awakening, SD, or SV, roughly on par with Blazing Sword.)
    'Wyldermyth' is a decent game but is more in line with Xcom than the vaunted Fire Emblem. 'Dark Deity' is good but a little rough, 'The Last Spell' is really cool and of course FE is in another plain of existence.
    I'm not sure if you mean that FE is better or that it's on another platform. Both are true. 

But I admire Dark Deity as a first-effort fan game, the guy is pushing out patches quickly, and I very much look forward to their next game. 

Never heard of The Last Spell. It looks interesting. Guess I'll try it when it leaves early access, though the rogue-like/rogue-lite label always leaves me wary (yes, I know the permadeath option in FE technically falls into that territory).
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Scorchien said:

Very cool, colour me interested.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    cheyane said:
    Scorchien said:

Very cool, colour me interested.

Really really great game with Overwhelmingly Positive glowing reviews on Steam

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:

'Wyldermyth' is a decent game but is more in line with Xcom than the vaunted Fire Emblem. 'Dark Deity' is good but a little rough, 'The Last Spell' is really cool and of course FE is in another plain of existence.
    I'm not sure if you mean that FE is better or that it's on another platform. Both are true. 

But I admire Dark Deity as a first-effort fan game, the guy is pushing out patches quickly, and I very much look forward to their next game. 

Never heard of The Last Spell. It looks interesting. Guess I'll try it when it leaves early access, though the rogue-like/rogue-lite label always leaves me wary (yes, I know the permadeath option in FE technically falls into that territory).
    Yeah I meant that FE is head and shoulders above anything else ever made in the genre. high level Masterclass game design 
    And here I've never heard of Fire Emblem until today.

Back to my island fortress.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:

Yeah I meant that FE is head and shoulders above anything else ever made in the genre. high level Masterclass game design 

;)

Not a very popular game in the west
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:

;)

Seems to also be a console exclusive which I never followed.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited June 2021
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:

;)

I wouldn't say that anymore. That's an outdated viewpoint. The last game was on par with Persona 5 (you know, the game that basically single-handedly revived the JRPG in the west) in terms of sales. It also won the Player's Voice award for 2019 - a major achievement for an allegedly niche franchise.

It was never truly unpopular. They just didn't advertise it properly, and the moment they started doing advertising pushes, it became a success.
    edited June 2021
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:

;)

I wouldn't say that anymore. That's an outdated viewpoint. The last game was on par with Persona 5 (you know, the game that basically single-handedly revived the JRPG in the west) in terms of sales. It also won the Player's Voice award for 2019 - a major achievement for an allegedly niche franchise.

It was never truly unpopular. They just didn't advertise it properly, and the moment they started doing advertising pushes, it became a success.

you can pull up Many most Popular RPG list in the west , many of them it does not appear on at all , some its at the lower to mid end ..

Like i said not very popular .. ever ..In the West

Gamedesign .. not listed

Metacritic not in top 200 (stopped looking there..https://www.vg247.com/2019/04/12/best-rpg-pc-ps4-xbox-one/

Ranker 131 ...https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-rpg-video-games-ever-made?page=6

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Scorchien said:
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:

;)

you can pull up Many most Popular RPG list in the west , many of them it does not appear on at all , some its at the lower to mid end ..

Like i said not very popular .. ever ..In the West

Gamedesign .. not listed

Metacritic not in top 200 (stopped looking there..https://www.vg247.com/2019/04/12/best-rpg-pc-ps4-xbox-one/

Ranker 131 ...https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-rpg-video-games-ever-made?page=6

To be fair many lists still do include it especially after the release of the amazing Fire Emblem Three Houses.
    I think the issue many 'rpg' gamers have is that strategy rpgs have always been a niche within a niche and in westerners seem to favor the Xcom type game over the eastern favored Fire Emblem. 
    It is a matter of taste as much as anything.     

Dont get me wrong FIre Emblem is great i really enjoyed and why the comparison in the OP ..

But it has never been that popular in the west there is no getting around that , no matter how you slice it
    Persona 5? Players Voice Awards?

More new things I've never heard of, are you sure any of these are truly "popular?"

Certainly not mainstream I'm thinking as I'm normally at least peripherally aware of such.

More console stuff I suppose, it's like we live on different planets.

;)

Aeander

edited June 2021
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:

But it has never been that popular in the west there is no getting around that , no matter how you slice it
    I disagree. Maybe you're not a Nintendo fan, but it's been huge with Nintendo players in the west for a really long time now. It is an iconic Nintendo franchise. Intelligent Systems have been making hugely popular games on the platform since NES. Intelligent worked on Mario, Duck Hunt, Metroid, Super Metroid, and a ton of others in conjunction with Nintendo.

Still, fan service games are cool and Wildermyth has glowing reviews.

you can disagree all you want (and you will be in the minority of public perception)the sites i linked show otherwise there are dozens of other sites with the same  results ..

BTW there are plenty of Nintendo games listed in those Best of Lists .. that are not Fire Emblem ..

It was not ever very popular here ..
    edited June 2021
    Torval said:
    Here are more relevant lists including one from IGN that contradicts your claim.

Here is an IGN article that actually lists the most popular Nintendo games.. https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/24/the-top-125-nintendo-games-of-all-time

This wiki page lists franchises and games by sales numbers as reported by Nintendo.  Fire Emblem has sold over 16M copies at number 18, outselling F-Zero, Xenoblade, and Star Fox. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_Nintendo_games

It's also important to mention modern relevance. FE's sales numbers are also pretty much all recent games, as Awakening was when they actually started advertising the series properly. Star Fox is comparatively irrelevant, as it hasn't sold those numbers since the Nintendo 64. Metroid also hasn't sold comparable numbers in almost 20 years.
    edited June 2021
    Torval said:
    Here are more relevant lists including one from IGN that contradicts your claim.

Here is an IGN article that actually lists the most popular Nintendo games.. https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/24/the-top-125-nintendo-games-of-all-time

This wiki page lists franchises and games by sales numbers as reported by Nintendo.  Fire Emblem has sold over 16M copies at number 18, outselling F-Zero, Xenoblade, and Star Fox. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_Nintendo_games

LMFAO , so you post lists that are ONLY Nintendo games and you are amazed that FE appears on it .. lol wtf ..aint that rich .. cant make this shit up ..

Of course if you ONLY include Nintendo games it will appear ..

Shocking ..

Fact is if you include ALL game platforms , it does not appear at all or is way down the list as i showed

Its like claiming Ecco the Dolphin is one of the best RPGs ever and only posting a list of SEGA Rpgs .. For it to compete against ..

Meaningless

Lol . and the fact that even on a list of ONLY Nintendo it is in the 70s , speaks volumes of how it would fare aganist all platforms and confirms it place in actual rankings that are fair and include all Platforms
    Aeander

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2021
    It's popularity is actually pretty good for a strategy rpg. Selling that many millions of copies is not by accident.
    The latest release did elevate the series' exposure here in the west and going forward this vaunted series will probably do very well in west. It's exposure and success lately is similar to what happened with Yakuza. 
    I mean if you look at nearly every list from any source strategy rpgs do not rank as high as traditional rpgs (or other game genres for that matter) anyway.
    As stated before it is a a niche genre within a niche genre.  
    Trying to compare the popularity of a game like Wyldermyth or Fire Emblem to Skyrim or The Witcher Series or Mass Effect seems misrepresentative.
    But all this is known by everyone here already. 

Its not that popular in the west the data backs it up .. as was shown . Ironically your post confirms its lack of traction here..

Never let the Facts get in the way of your perceived Truth...

Nintendo revealed that Fire Emblem: Three Houses has sold over three million copies worldwide since its debut in the summer of 2019. This makes it the best-selling game in the series, surpassing prior successes like Fire Emblem Fates and Fire Emblem Awakening

Thats pretty bad when you start to consider sales of other games ..

To expand .. Valheim has sold nealry the same amount in 10 months that the entire FE series has sold in 30 years .. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem

But all this is known by everyone here already

Aeander

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2021
    I'm beginning to think the east/west distinction is meaningless. Sales are sales. Success is success.

(And if survival trash like Valheim is the west's idea of a good game, I am thoroughly ashamed to be a western gamer.)
    [Deleted User]
    Scorchien said:
    It's popularity is actually pretty good for a strategy rpg. Selling that many millions of copies is not by accident.
    The latest release did elevate the series' exposure here in the west and going forward this vaunted series will probably do very well in west. It's exposure and success lately is similar to what happened with Yakuza. 
    I mean if you look at nearly every list from any source strategy rpgs do not rank as high as traditional rpgs (or other game genres for that matter) anyway.
    Trying to compare the popularity of a game like Wyldermyth or Fire Emblem to Skyrim or The Witcher Series or Mass Effect seems misrepresentative.

Its not that popular in the west the data backs it up .. as was shown . Ironically your post confirms its lack of traction here..

Nintendo revealed that Fire Emblem: Three Houses has sold over three million copies worldwide since its debut in the summer of 2019. This makes it the best-selling game in the series, surpassing prior successes like Fire Emblem Fates and Fire Emblem Awakening

To expand .. Valheim has sold nealry the same amount in 10 months that the entire FE series has sold in 30 years .. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem

Stop being that way.
    I never said it was popular in the west.
    Not once did I say that. 
    There is no reason for this type of response. 
    Strategy rpg games are not going to sell as well as other more mainstream genres. 
    Regardless of series. 
    Please consider that instead of just trying to argue just to argue.
    I'm not the enemy here and this kind of response from you is getting so tired and predictable.
    Most of us are all just trying to be friendly here.
    Please just stop being so argumentative. All. The. Time. 
    It's exhausting.  
    I am afraid this type of 'banter' is the reason so many other long timers are finally just leaving this community.    

Go back and read the entire thread would be my advice ,...

1. i like FE and use it as a comparison in OP

2. All i did was respond to Kyleran saying" And here I've never heard of Fire Emblem until today."

I responded with simply ..." Its not very popular in the West "

Which the data proves ..

But ironically it was you and others that were argumentitive of that simple (factual) statement that got us here ..

Lol if you would like me to start posting strategy RPG sale games numbers that will blow FE away i will ...

It does not even produce good numbers in the mobile industry over 4 years which most anything sells well

You just dont like facts that dispute your silly claims ..

Its exhuasting

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Stop being that way.
    Not once did I say that. 
    Strategy rpg games are not going to sell as well as other more mainstream genres. 
    Regardless of series. 
    I'm not the enemy here and this kind of response from you is getting so tired and predictable.
    It's exhausting.  
    I am afraid this type of 'banter' is the reason so many other long timers are finally just leaving this community.    

2. All i did was respond to Kyleran saying" And here I've never heard of Fire Emblem until today."

Which the data proves ..

But ironically it was you and others that were argumentitive of that simple (factual) statement that got us here ..

Lol if you would like me to start posting strategy RPG sale games numbers that will blow FE away i will ...

It does not even produce good numbers in the mobile industry over 4 years which most anything sells well

Its exhuasting

I umm... what? That one is blatantly false. FE Heroes is incredibly profitable. Is your standard for success in the industry literally Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, and Genshin Impact?

Stop spouting shit, and learn to format.
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Stop being that way.
    Not once did I say that. 
    Regardless of series. 
    It's exhausting.  

Which the data proves ..

Its exhuasting

wow Scorch 
    You said I did.
    That is not true. 

More BS ..

Show me where is said Blue said it was popular in the west .. I didnt ..

Once again the biggest problem on this site is people not knowing how to fucking read .. and moving goalposts to suit there weak stances