Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it time to start making more games for "older" gamers?

Comments

• TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 313
    edited May 20
    @Torval
    I was referring to specific content...a named mob, a piece of loot, a quest etc. 

But there is a conversation to be had about larger content implementations like expansions as well.  

I wasn't making any specific statements about what would be considered reasonable.  Just that, in my experience, what is considered reasonable likely varies by generation.  

It's similar to how a participation trophy or desiring instant gratification is often referenced as generational.  That has been my experience, and it is very evident in recent games.

Granted, I'm talking about gamers...not candy crush players like was referenced by someone else earlier.  I don't believe the general "non-gaming public" who plays candy crush was who the OP was referring to when he started the discussion.  That turns it into a whole other thing that I don't have experience (or the desire) to comment on.

AlBQuirkyTuor7
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 1,869
    AlBQuirky said:
    Nilden said:
    Torval said:
    I can't imagine a project manager walking into a room of devs and saying "OK I want you guys to make a multiplayer game that focuses on older players"..........

King and Zynga would like a word with you.
    I'm pretty sure all ANY company EVER said was let's make money. 

For profit companies are for profit.

True, but there is between profit and PROFIT!!!!111!!!11!!! That fourth or fifth "mansion" or luxury automobile is overboard, in my opinion.

For me it is a balance between "customer service" and "maximizing profits." With "globalization", consumers have lost power to dictate. If any singular area or group wants a better choice, they no longer have the power to dictate. The company will keep making profits from other areas and peoples who are willing to pay. Why do gaming companies keep shoveling out cheap trash? Because enough people keep supporting the games.

As to Kyleran's "Greed is good" meme, I answer with "The love of money is the root of all evil." Greed IS good, but like all else in life, best when practiced in moderation :)

No, there is no between. For profit companies only strive for one... the maximum. What is done with that profit doesn't change the goal of acquiring the most possible.

Globalization does not yet exist to the extent you suggest, Differences between markets remain. Legislative environments vary. Costs will inevitably increase the further afield a company ventures, which may ultimately compromise profits.

Consumers can still influence markets as the markets are not yet a homogeneous whole. Besides, why settle for profits elsewhere when you can have those and domestic profits both. No profit left behind!

Greed by definition is desire for accumulation to excess. Such is of course bad, as is anything taken to excess.

That sounds simple enough. There is only one little thing that negates that from being definitive. What is excessive is entirely a matter of opinion, and any expressed over it will have no more weight than others brought forth. It's kind of pointless to discuss as it will ultimately end with opinions vary.

I can say that without the pursuit of profits, in some cases perhaps excessively so, I would not be alive today.

There would have been no treatments or medications available to counter the onset of an autoimmune disorder that helped preserve some quality of life for a few years without profiteering. The supporting technology that kept me alive after a surgical complication until I regained consciousness weeks later were only there due to profiteering. The medications that stave off rejection of my kidney transplant, once again preserving some quality of life... profiteering.

Any amount of greed that was bundled with all that... I can live with.
    tzervoAlBQuirkyGdemamikitaradCryomatrix
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,794
    AlBQuirky said:
    Nilden said:
    Torval said:
    I can't imagine a project manager walking into a room of devs and saying "OK I want you guys to make a multiplayer game that focuses on older players"..........

King and Zynga would like a word with you.
    I'm pretty sure all ANY company EVER said was let's make money. 

For profit companies are for profit.

True, but there is between profit and PROFIT!!!!111!!!11!!! That fourth or fifth "mansion" or luxury automobile is overboard, in my opinion.

For me it is a balance between "customer service" and "maximizing profits." With "globalization", consumers have lost power to dictate. If any singular area or group wants a better choice, they no longer have the power to dictate. The company will keep making profits from other areas and peoples who are willing to pay. Why do gaming companies keep shoveling out cheap trash? Because enough people keep supporting the games.

As to Kyleran's "Greed is good" meme, I answer with "The love of money is the root of all evil." Greed IS good, but like all else in life, best when practiced in moderation :)

No, there is no between. For profit companies only strive for one... the maximum. What is done with that profit doesn't change the goal of acquiring the most possible.

Globalization does not yet exist to the extent you suggest, Differences between markets remain. Legislative environments vary. Costs will inevitably increase the further afield a company ventures, which may ultimately compromise profits.

Consumers can still influence markets as the markets are not yet a homogeneous whole. Besides, why settle for profits elsewhere when you can have those and domestic profits both. No profit left behind!

Greed by definition is desire for accumulation to excess. Such is of course bad, as is anything taken to excess.

That sounds simple enough. There is only one little thing that negates that from being definitive. What is excessive is entirely a matter of opinion, and any expressed over it will have no more weight than others brought forth. It's kind of pointless to discuss as it will ultimately end with opinions vary.

I can say that without the pursuit of profits, in some cases perhaps excessively so, I would not be alive today.

There would have been no treatments or medications available to counter the onset of an autoimmune disorder that helped preserve some quality of life for a few years without profiteering. The supporting technology that kept me alive after a surgical complication until I regained consciousness weeks later were only there due to profiteering. The medications that stave off rejection of my kidney transplant, once again preserving some quality of life... profiteering.

Any amount of greed that was bundled with all that... I can live with.

Much of what you point out is quite true.

Let's look at "greed", though. Did "greed" enable your medicine? What "profit" spurred that advancement? Or was there another "motivator" that produced your cure?

Does "greed" apply to human advancements? Does "greed" apply to humanitarian discoveries? Or is it "greed" that has scientists and researchers looking first to "What can I charge for this?" The research may be spurred by a desire to improve life, but then "greed" enters the picture to help decide what to charge.

In my opinion, "greed" is a simple monetary motivator. Trying to apply the term to humanitarian advancements seems kind of disingenuous to me. I could be wrong.

"Greed"is the factor that spurs the impetus to "make or create better or faster or cheaper for profit." Ever notice that "healthy food" is always more expensive than "bad food?" The answer is greed, NOT humanitarian i nature.

PS: I'm glad you recovered and hopefully keep doing well :)
    GdemamiUngoodTuor7

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 1,869
    AlBQuirky said:
    Let's look at "greed", though. Did "greed" enable your medicine? What "profit" spurred that advancement? Or was there another "motivator" that produced your cure?

Does "greed" apply to human advancements? Does "greed" apply to humanitarian discoveries? Or is it "greed" that has scientists and researchers looking first to "What can I charge for this?" The research may be spurred by a desire to improve life, but then "greed" enters the picture to help decide what to charge.

In my opinion, "greed" is a simple monetary motivator. Trying to apply the term to humanitarian advancements seems kind of disingenuous to me. I could be wrong.

"Greed"is the factor that spurs the impetus to "make or create better or faster or cheaper for profit." Ever notice that "healthy food" is always more expensive than "bad food?" The answer is greed, NOT humanitarian i nature.

PS: I'm glad you recovered and hopefully keep doing well :)

Well, many people contend pharmaceutical companies are greedy. They do have some pretty high-priced medications on offer, at least until generics can be put out.

But, that such is greedy is simply opinion. It is incontestably profit motivated, and that will be the central motivation of the company itself. There will almost certainly be additional motivations in some, likely along the line you suggest. Regardless, if it were not for the eventual profit these people could produce they wouldn't be there.

For the humanitarian aspect, that can play a huge role early on. For Dr. Willem Kolf, the inventor of the kidney dialysis machine, it was an entirely humanitarian effort. He chose not to patent his invention which he could have profited from greatly. However, the dialysis machines used on me were made and sold for profit.

The greater cost for healthy food isn't entirely about greed. It can be more costly to produce, due to a greater chance of spoilage and what not Supply and demand play a factor too, with less generally on sale and those wanting such willing to pay a premium for what they consider better. All that considered, I have no doubt producers squeeze out as much additional profit as they can from each little bit of it.  As they should.

After all, do we not do the same. Many strive for the highest salary they can earn. Many squeeze out as much value as they can from every dollar. Many wish to build or buy the most powerful computer they can afford. Greed may not be humanitarian, but it is human and present in all of us to some degree over something.

Thanks for your kindness. I'm mostly recovered. That medial mishap had some nonrecoverable elements to it. My transplant is getting a bit long in the tooth too, and it will be back on dialysis when that goes, which I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for.

Eh, in the meantime I'm still kicking, so good enough.
    AlBQuirkytzervoUngood
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,331
    edited May 22
    "I prefer it the oldschool way, you buy the game, you got the game. Thats it. All content included, nothing cut short and sold back to you as a "DLC" or "expansion pack"."

OK lets take an old school game i played....Everquest....You had to buy the original game, probably $20-40 depending on when and where you got it......Then you HAD to pay $15 a month to sub or you didnt play.....Then you had to buy the expansions as they have rolled out (At least 20 now and probably more than that at $20-40 a pop)....I left in 2005 after 5 years of playing.....i probably spent $1500 for everything on that game......You had zero options back then...
    Jean-Luc_PicardKyleranAlBQuirkyUngood
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,783
    edited May 22
    "I prefer it the oldschool way, you buy the game, you got the game. Thats it. All content included, nothing cut short and sold back to you as a "DLC" or "expansion pack"."

OK lets take an old school game i played....Everquest....You had to buy the original game, probably $20-40 depending on when and where you got it......Then you HAD to pay $15 a month to sub or you didnt play.....Then you had to buy the expansions as they have rolled out (At least 20 now and probably more than that at $20-40 a pop)....I left in 2005 after 5 years of playing.....i probably spent $1500 for everything on that game......You had zero options back then...

Same with an even older old school game, Ultima Online, that I played.
    Seems to me like some younger people didn't play the same old school games than those who actually played those old school games ;)
    AlBQuirkyUngood
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 10700k (5.10ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,568

I'll take that to having to purchase 10 lootboxes to have a chance at getting an upgrade I cannot get anywhere else in the game. I open all ten I am out 100 bucks with nothing to show for it. 

Of course you paid for those things but have you forgotten all the hours you spent playing and the fun you had. What was that worth in cash? You all talk like you spent that money and got nothing in return. 
    KylerantzervoAlBQuirkycheyaneGdemamiSensai

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,542
    Making a game especially for older gamers just won't happen.  In addition to the fact that we are a smaller market segment, what young developer really understands what older people want?  Do we trust this kind of gaming decisions to these young whippersnappers?  Get off my lawn!  Where's my check?  I'm cold.

tzervoAlBQuirkyKyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,339
    Umm... wth.. those games already exist and continue to be made usually by indie co..
    AlBQuirkyTwoTubes
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,339
    edited May 23
    MMO's for older gamers

Runescape OS <---Literally has OLD in the name
    Project Gorgon
    EQ
    EQ2
    LOTRO
    DDO
    DCUO - If you don't plan to be competitive or worry about topping charts
    Salem
    Haven & Hearth
    Shroud of the Avatar
    WoW classic
    WoW TBC classic
    Anarchy Online
    SWG
    Legends of IdleOn - Idle MMO
    Idlescape - Idle MMO
    Key to Heaven
    Wizard101
    + many more

Non-MMO games for older people...

Basically every non competitive non reactive mobile game just get a BIG screen tablet
    Every single TCG, CCG
    Boatloads of not fast paced 2D sidescrolling games like Darkest Dungeon
    Every Idle game without funky or hard to read text.

The games are there.. just have to be ok with slowing down in some cases and accept LoFi instead of the fancy visual adrenaline rush from our youth.

AlBQuirkyKylerantzervo
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,815
    kitarad said:

I'll take that to having to purchase 10 lootboxes to have a chance at getting an upgrade I cannot get anywhere else in the game. I open all ten I am out 100 bucks with nothing to show for it. 

Of course you paid for those things but have you forgotten all the hours you spent playing and the fun you had. What was that worth in cash? You all talk like you spent that money and got nothing in return. 
    Now, you know, this really depends on the game.

Personally, I also started MMO's with EQ. So not only did I have the joy of paying 15 a month, I also had to directly compete with other players for primary camp points, sometimes 12 hour spawn cycles, where I could be KSed, or if I was in a group, the other person could Ninja Loot. Equally so, I could also KS and Ninja Loot others, depending on the level of rampant asshole I wanted to be, and again, I am paying every single month purely for the ability to engage in and deal with this kind of asshattery. 

As for the enjoyment of a game, truth be told, if I am not enjoying a game, I am not going to run to the store and buy tons of shit, I am going to walk away, just like back in the day if I was not enjoying the MMO, I walked away.

AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,595
    Well, I'm not sure what kind of game would have higher appeal to older demographics, but i'm 35 and still proudly live and die for JRPGs.
    kitaradAlBQuirky

• LordMikeBedlamLordMikeBedlam Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Doesn't that just kinda translate to "More reboots/remakes plz"?

I mean, wouldn't mind if they made a GOOD reboot/remake.
    tzervoAlBQuirky
    "The bones of man. The brittle remnants of cosmic torment that once made him wonder if matter was Lucifer upward groping back to his God. And yet now, he knew better."
    😉🔫 - 🖕📿
    steam: hatchet130 psn: LordMikeBedlam Battlenet: glasgowgrin#1831

• WargfootWargfoot Member RarePosts: 508
    Along these lines I've always wondered why more developers didn't embrace gaming as a hobby instead of a mere diversion.

A game that would fit the hobby category would be stable and feature very long term goals - with protecting the integrity of long term goals being a development team priority.   

A hobby would also require more in game experience (learning the ropes through trial and error) and would do a great deal less hand holding.... such that the stuff the hobbyist learns about the world is even more important than twitch skills.

There is a distinction in there I don't fully understand (between game and hobby).
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,817
    Wargfoot said:
    Along these lines I've always wondered why more developers didn't embrace gaming as a hobby instead of a mere diversion.

A game that would fit the hobby category would be stable and feature very long term goals - with protecting the integrity of long term goals being a development team priority.   

A hobby would also require more in game experience (learning the ropes through trial and error) and would do a great deal less hand holding.... such that the stuff the hobbyist learns about the world is even more important than twitch skills.

There is a distinction in there I don't fully understand (between game and hobby).

How do you know this is how they think of it?
    UngoodGdemamiAlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,894
    Wargfoot said:

I have a feeling they think of gaming as business.
    tzervoWargfootUngoodGdemamiAlBQuirky

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,474
    Demographics suggest that early gamers are now going to start to enter retirement.  This means they will have more time to play (and probably cash).

So yeah... I think it's just a matter of time until things start to swing.  Companies will care less about the masses who want to play for free, and more for those with the time and money to play.

I think we will se a divergence, where one branch will focus on the F2P crowd, and they (their info, eyeballs, etc...) will be the monetization.  The other branch will be for people that pay with real cash.

We will see.
    GdemamiMendelAlBQuirky

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,461
    Wargfoot said:

I think that pretty much describes the Microsoft flight simulator franchise to a tee.

AlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Sovrath said:
    Wargfoot said:

When I was a kid we stopped at a road side attraction where you could buy fresh fish.  The gimmick was that you could have your kid catch the fish.  The fish were all in a pond and fed little square shaped food everyday and surprise, the fishing poles they let the kids use were pre-baited with little metal food pieces with hooks.

You could drop the pole in the water - good luck trying to get it out without a fish on the end.  It was absolutely kid proof.  Catch a fish every time.   Buy 'em, clean 'em, out the door - $10.00 please. K. Bi. Thanx.

Compare that with a sports fisherman who pays attention to water temperature, seasons, bait types, locations - and often comes back a failure.  He has tons of knowledge and experience all that contribute to his success.  His experience fishing is entirely different than the kid with the pre-baited pole.

The difference between the kid with the pre-baited pole and the sports fisherman is the difference between a diversion and a hobby. (1)

So to your question: Do pay-to-win shops, lotteries, color coded MOBS, quest paths highlighted by color coded lines and inflexibility in outcomes all delivered on rails to people who will cry if they don't get it all for free sound like the first fisherman or the second one?

NOTES
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: Don't get hung up on the technical definition of diversion vs. hobby.  I know one can be the other and so forth.  I'm trying to get at a concept that has eluded me for years and the terms aren't prefect.

KylerantzervoGdemamicameltosisTuor7AlBQuirky
    laserit said:
    Wargfoot said:

I think that pretty much describes the Microsoft flight simulator franchise to a tee.

I think Minecraft may approach that for several players as well.
    AlBQuirky
    Wargfoot said:
    Sovrath said:
    Wargfoot said:

When I was a kid we stopped at a road side attraction where you could buy fresh fish.  The gimmick was that you could have your kid catch the fish.  The fish were all in a pond and fed little square shaped food everyday and surprise, the fishing poles they let the kids use were pre-baited with little metal food pieces with hooks.

You could drop the pole in the water - good luck trying to get it out without a fish on the end.  It was absolutely kid proof.  Catch a fish every time.   Buy 'em, clean 'em, out the door - $10.00 please. K. Bi. Thanx.

Compare that with a sports fisherman who pays attention to water temperature, seasons, bait types, locations - and often comes back a failure.  He has tons of knowledge and experience all that contribute to his success.  His experience fishing is entirely different than the kid with the pre-baited pole.

The difference between the kid with the pre-baited pole and the sports fisherman is the difference between a diversion and a hobby. (1)

So to your question: Do pay-to-win shops, lotteries, color coded MOBS, quest paths highlighted by color coded lines and inflexibility in outcomes all delivered on rails to people who will cry if they don't get it all for free sound like the first fisherman or the second one?

NOTES
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: Don't get hung up on the technical definition of diversion vs. hobby.  I know one can be the other and so forth.  I'm trying to get at a concept that has eluded me for years and the terms aren't prefect.

Still losing me, cash shops and the like sound like option 3, where your "hobbiest" fisherman steps it up a notch and begins competing in professional fishing tournament with big cash prizes, sponsorships and boats like this....

WargfootAlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Oh yeah, and once game devs become mega corps then it looks more like this

WargfootUngoodAlBQuirky

• TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,709
    edited June 7
    Pantheon fits my needs........ if / when it comes out!
    Post edited by Tokken on
    SovrathUngoodAlBQuirky
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • LordMikeBedlamLordMikeBedlam Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited June 7
    Wargfoot said:

I mean, you can get that out of games like WoW, or ESO, or other grind fest MMOs. Even if the long-term goal is to level up to the highest level, it's still a long-term goal. Not to mention how you'd want to build your character (with games like Runescape or Albion).

But in that same vein, having a "Hobby game" hasn't exactly been anything BUT that. Unless it's DnD or some kind of tabletop game that you have more control over the customization of a character's personality a long with looks, combat style and longterm in game goals.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    "The bones of man. The brittle remnants of cosmic torment that once made him wonder if matter was Lucifer upward groping back to his God. And yet now, he knew better."
    😉🔫 - 🖕📿
    steam: hatchet130 psn: LordMikeBedlam Battlenet: glasgowgrin#1831

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,331
    Sovrath said:
    Wargfoot said:

My guess is they try to think of every way possible to make money.......
    KyleranGdemamiMendelUngoodAlBQuirky