Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World cash shop to go P2W with boosts etc?

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
edited May 2021 in New World
Just watched KiraTV's new video...  This might be a deal breaker for me.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
Gdemami

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Cosmetics and "boosts" .. really not a big deal ..

The rest of his rant is speculation ..

Everyone should have known there would be a CAsh Shop of some sort , This one does not seem invasive at this point ..

If it becomes invasive (selling outside of cosmetics/boosts) then there would be something to piss about , otherwise guy is full of a of a lot of hot air ..

I dont see Red Flags here ... yet
    [Deleted User]Tokken
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So much to comment on..
    He seems intelligent,that si a good thing when commenting on games.
    Most of his opinions/points i mentioned 15+ years ago.

IDC how a dev studio labels their cash shop ,cosmetics,boosts or wahtever it is a cash shop end of story.
    As Kira mentioned ,once you allow it to happen the studio thinks ok let's do some more and it keeps snowballing until it is no longer a cash shop that anyone accepts.

I also like how he mentioned Blizzard and Wow because I personally noticed the ever increasing greedy changes within Blizzard but i think it has gone over others heads.

So back on the cosmetics and i mentioned it a long time ago and that if a game has assets and i am buying that game,i want ALL the assets,your not selling me 80% of the game and keeping the other 20% to sell me in the cash shop,that is BS.

I also like how he talks a lot about the people that act like they DON'T  CARE,or i don't spend it doesn't affect me.Well you SHOULD care and it DOES affect you.This is how we get to this point all the devs THINK they can now ustilize cash shops becuase it is being accepted.

NO.....NO hell no,it is NOT being accepted all ,it is being accepted by the idiots who don't care.
    [Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I also like that Kira is talking about something else i have talked about and that is these GREEEDY devs do NOT take the greedy over the top money and put it back into the games to make them better they take it put it in the top execs pockets.

The point is that these greedy over top monetary ideas are doing NOTHING for quality fo the games,they only serve one purpose GREED at the top of the exec food chain.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Sadly the majority of gamers are outright >>idiots,they don't care,they play a game,spend money and move on to spend money on the next crappy game and it happens over and over and gaming is becoming worse day by day,year by year.

So like Kira..I CARE and it pisses me off,but his speech in this video will fly right over 99% of the gamers heads.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]Scot

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Scorchien said:

Everyone should have known there would be a CAsh Shop of some sort , This one does not seem invasive at this point ..

If it becomes invasive (selling outside of cosmetics/boosts) then there would be something to piss about , otherwise guy is full of a of a lot of hot air ..

To me, boosts are a red flag.  Especially if there are there in the first 6 months of launch.

It's a PvP game where you can get better/faster by buying account boosts?  Thats a red flag to me.

GdemamiMendelTheocritusSensai

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    From the typo in the title, I assumed this was going to be about boots with stats being cash-shop only.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did that with costumes, eventually.

Anyways, in Granado Espada, cash shop boosts during pvp wars were pretty much mandatory for all sides involved.  The devs claimed it wasn't p2w because they were tradeable so you could buy them from other players.  *eyeroll*
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:

To me, boosts are a red flag.  Especially if there are there in the first 6 months of launch.

It's a PvP game where you can get better/faster by buying account boosts?  Thats a red flag to me.

it says for leveling expereince , Everyone will be at endgame in 6 weeks , so IMO who cares
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    Scorchien said:

The crafting boost is definitely a "big deal" since not everyone engages in it in any game, but hey, who needs an economy anyway.....The fact that they are even talking about boosts when the game isn't even out yet, should be a red flag, but that's just the times we live in now.
    GdemamiSlapshot1188MendelIselinYashaX
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    New world...same as the old world

sorry couldn't resist. 
    Theocritus
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    edited May 2021
    KriaTV calls everything P2W, even cosmetics. His once honest reviews have turned into hit jobs and just insults anyone that does not agree with him. Getting some boosts is not P2W. Sure would I like to go back to the days of everything included with a sub? Sure would. But how is a game like New World gonna make money when its B2P? They have to keep their lights on somehow. Sounds like a cash shop have no need to use to keep playing. Thats fine by me. 
    Post edited by Nanfoodle on
    YashaX[Deleted User]achesoma
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If anyone thinks they can recoup the hundreds of millions they already spent with a few cosmetics & boosts I'd like to see the numbers they need to sell of each to get even close to that amount.

I think they're adding boosts not as a way to make money but using that as the excuse to get people to skip past mediocre content straight to endgame where they'll be needing the bulk of players. They will also probably give codes for that stuff to streamers on Twitch for giveaways.

GdemamiMendel
    BruceYee said:
    If anyone thinks they can recoup the hundreds of millions they already spent with a few cosmetics & boosts I'd like to see the numbers they need to sell of each to get even close to that amount.

I think they're adding boosts not as a way to make money but using that as the excuse to get people to skip past mediocre content straight to endgame where they'll be needing the bulk of players. They will also probably give codes for that stuff to streamers on Twitch for giveaways.

I have friends who love games like this. One of my friends makes a new char every few weeks, buys boosts, leveks to max level as fast as he can. Gets board and rolls a new char. He has been doing that for years and years never really playing end game. I cant count how many people who I have played with online that were alt-aholics. 
    Albatroes said:
    Scorchien said:

The crafting boost is definitely a "big deal" since not everyone engages in it in any game, but hey, who needs an economy anyway.....The fact that they are even talking about boosts when the game isn't even out yet, should be a red flag, but that's just the times we live in now.
    Yup.  But some will literally defend anything that doesn't end up with a big YOU WIN on the screen as not P2W.  How far we have fallen...

GdemamiSensai

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    2021 and people still expect free-to-play games to not have microtransactions. smh.
    Gdemami
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited May 2021
    tzervo said:
    Scorchien said:

It's a pity that his videos are becoming speculative and ranty lately. His past videos were usually packed with information and way more modest.

How exactly is referencing something copied directly from testers under NDA "speculative"?

Haven't seen Amazon jump online to claim that these claims are fabricated so the info that tester broke NDA for and shared with the world must be true?

Also... why is everyone here all of sudden defending a mega corp like Amazon that could care less about us?

Aaaand... premium currency in games IS private entity currency creation which is a method to commit fraud but no one seems to care cause lots of money is made. When money goes in from one direction and the real value of what's being purchased/what you get is unknown it's manipulated currency exchange. Imagine handing over $10USD for another currency and the person you're trading with refuses to tell you the actual value of the currency they're holding BUT assures you that it is definitely worth your ten dollars just take their word for it.. That is essentially every single game company with a 'premium currency'...
    Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Scorchien said:

Boosts were originally added to games like EQ1 to help newer players catch up to their friends.  It became a way of life for players and a source of revenue for the company.

For a new game to add boosts from the start, especially one with a predominant PvP component, doesn't have the excuse of "allowing players to catch up".  It is totally P2W, as it allows the player with a larger wallet and less life to gain an advantage from the start over everyone else.  That compromises any hint that NW might be a level playing field.

Bad move, AGS.

Slapshot1188YashaXGdemamiSensai

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Its really a non issue. Buy to play games require cash shops or they cant exist. You cant have it both ways. Eso has had all that for years and it was no big deal.  
    Mendel said:
    Scorchien said:

Boosts were originally added to games like EQ1 to help newer players catch up to their friends.  It became a way of life for players and a source of revenue for the company.

For a new game to add boosts from the start, especially one with a predominant PvP component, doesn't have the excuse of "allowing players to catch up".  It is totally P2W, as it allows the player with a larger wallet and less life to gain an advantage from the start over everyone else.  That compromises any hint that NW might be a level playing field.

Bad move, AGS.

Just an FYI, most players dont care about being first. Most MMOers don't rare past content. Why would I give a company money to rush past what I bought to play? I dont care if it takes me a year to catch up, if the game is fun. In the end, the guy that dumped cash to be a better crafter will be in the same place as me. So not P2W. Its P2BE-Stupid. 
    GdemamiMendel
    Utinni said:
    2021 and people still expect free-to-play games to not have microtransactions. smh.
    Hi.  Think you are in the wrong thread.  New World is not F2P.  It's got a $50 box price.
    [Deleted User]

Torval said:
    Aggressive cash shop is aggressive. I'm fine with boosts. Sorry PvP crowd but you're okay with putting cosmetics in the cash shop, then I'm fine with boosts. This isn't Burger King... you don't get to have it your way.
    You convinced me about the cosmetics years ago.  I clearly remember the conversation.  I was 100% dismissive of Cosmetics being P2W and then you left a post explaining how, for you, they were really part of the reason you played.  It opened my eyes

Gdemami

• SKurjSKurj Member UncommonPosts: 155
    couldn't care less about pvp... or boosts...  and i am not racing the joneses down the street...
  • Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    "I don't care because it doesn't affect me." But as Kira said.... you will care when it comes to something that does affect you.... and the people who may have backed you will already be gone.

Consumers need to support consumers as the company only cares about your money.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Rungar said:
    Its really a non issue. Buy to play games require cash shops or they cant exist. You cant have it both ways. Eso has had all that for years and it was no big deal.  

Perhaps you are correct, BUT this also leads to cash shop creep.... ESO is particularly bad for it.... Lockboxes, Recipes only available on cash shop, mounts that are only available using a currency earned from break down random items you get from chests?

TESO is a great game to look at on WHY we shouldn't sit idly by and say everything is fine and normal.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]KyleranGdemamiTokkenSensai[Deleted User]

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited May 2021
    You cannot complain because a lot of you wanted the subscriptions to stop because you didn't like having to pay a sub. So deal with it because there are no limits once you allow them to make money any way they can they will do it.

None of us are organised enough to make a difference. Enough people support a game that it makes enough money and these things just proliferate. The mistake started when we taught companies to stop at just having subscriptions. So now not only do they have subscriptions but it is just not enough so they sell stuff on the cash shop and it becomes egregious to a point that only the whales can play.

I try to play without buying anything except the subscription but I occasionally am guilty of buying some things too so we just have to play and accept what we can because the next game will be worse.

Pat yourselves on the back for leading the charge when you demanded companies stop charging a sub.
    GdemamiSensai

What would be your solution? They are under pressure to make money and cant get it from a subscription. The only other options they have is rapid content generation or real pay to win. I guess they could harass you at the amazon checkout like they do at walmart to donate. 

Im always ready to take a shit on devs when they make weak gameplay but I think players expect more than what's reasonable from buy to play games. 

nothing I read there was gamebreaking or even unreasonable considering it has no subscription. 

KyleranTokken[Deleted User]FrodoFragins