Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World's Expeditions Brings The PvE Content I've Wanted In Amazon's Upcoming MMO | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageNew World's Expeditions Brings The PvE Content I've Wanted In Amazon's Upcoming MMO | MMORPG.com

New World's recently held a press preview showing off a bit of what the team at Amazon has been working on in the MMO. Expeditions were on the menu this time, with the team showing off the PVE dungeons they've been working on in a bid to add more PVE flavor to the MMO.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited May 2021
    If levelling is all about gear the obvious question is, how abusive is the cash shop shaping up?

"This does color my experience a bit as some of the encounters were likely a bit more challenging had they been accomplished with a full team." - A bit less challenging surely? The fact a three man team could do the dungeon up to the boss shows a whole world of easy mode right there.
    ILLISETfoppoteexpsync
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Sounds like a curious decision to have a press event where there aren't enough people to fill a group and run the dungeons content the way it is meant to be run. I mean, you would think that if they were interested in showing it off the way it will look, then there would be enough people in the group to complete it....
    ILLISET[Deleted User]foppoteexpsync
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    "...it’s definitely something that gave me a bit more faith in the product as we lead into the July 20th Beta test."

Looks like Steven of Ashes can't have his month long alpha in July.....maybe August?
    Post edited by Albatroes on
    Haki88LrdEtriusIudiciumenesisxlr8Kumaponxpsync
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    They invite the press but no videos ...sigh,just a trailer.

Also were these expeditions not in the last big hoop and not anything new?Also are they just instances which is something i detest in games.

Also odd focusing on this instancing instead of the overall game and what the player will expect.

This sounds EXACTLY like the same old where players are guided into early fast progression to gear up for some pvp and end game.

It does NOT sound like an evolving world but just a gaited world,same old as all the other incompetent studios are doing.Yeah maybe a lot of players do like the hand holding gaited direct path to the end game talk,i am NOT one of those.
    I like to take my time and enjoy the world and building stuff and feel that i am discovering cool things as i roam the lands.

The last thing i want to do is be forced into instances to get some gear to advance to the next gaited content.I call this WOW/Blizzard game design and NOT good game design.

The reason i enjoyed Atlas for so long is because i felt like a real character in a world,building and sailing and surviving and exploring.WAY too many people play these games with some superficial goal to "beat end game"and to me that is pathetic superficial gaming.
    Why am i not surprised this new focus is to create some new end game zones ...really sad.
    xpsync

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Just the mention of "we made it to the FINAL BOSS" turns me right off.Zones should NOT be linear paths to some BOSS,like wtf is this 1990's ?
    I want a plausible realsitic looking world and to interact like a real person would,not this whatever it is "stuff to do"must beat BOSS crap.
    Mendelmoguy1

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    There's some slight undertone of humor in this "Expedition" look when you remember that last year they said they wouldn't be adding dungeons until post launch. I know people are excited for the launch, but I'm honestly more worried about post launch given how much 'mmorpg' stuff they've added to the game (or say they are going to add by launch) since last year.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Wizardry said:
    Just the mention of "we made it to the FINAL BOSS" turns me right off.Zones should NOT be linear paths to some BOSS,like wtf is this 1990's ?
    I want a plausible realsitic looking world and to interact like a real person would,not this whatever it is "stuff to do"must beat BOSS crap.

Why can't bosses run away and hide, requiring them to be pursued and hunted down?  instead, they just wait in their presumably safe places for the inevitable.  Add AI, not HP to make an encounter tougher (and more interesting).

rojoArcueidShinobexpsync

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108

Wizardry said:

They invite the press but no videos ...sigh,just a trailer.

Also were these expeditions not in the last big hoop and not anything new?Also are they just instances which is something i detest in games.

Also odd focusing on this instancing instead of the overall game and what the player will expect.

This sounds EXACTLY like the same old where players are guided into early fast progression to gear up for some pvp and end game.

It does NOT sound like an evolving world but just a gaited world,same old as all the other incompetent studios are doing.Yeah maybe a lot of players do like the hand holding gaited direct path to the end game talk,i am NOT one of those.

I like to take my time and enjoy the world and building stuff and feel that i am discovering cool things as i roam the lands.

The last thing i want to do is be forced into instances to get some gear to advance to the next gaited content.I call this WOW/Blizzard game design and NOT good game design.

The reason i enjoyed Atlas for so long is because i felt like a real character in a world,building and sailing and surviving and exploring.WAY too many people play these games with some superficial goal to "beat end game"and to me that is pathetic superficial gaming.

Why am i not surprised this new focus is to create some new end game zones ...really sad.

There is a gameplay vid on IGN while they went through the dugeon.
    [Deleted User]xpsync
  • WhytewulfWhytewulf Member UncommonPosts: 23

Mendel said:

Wizardry said:

Why can't bosses run away and hide, requiring them to be pursued and hunted down?  instead, they just wait in their presumably safe places for the inevitable.  Add AI, not HP to make an encounter tougher (and more interesting).

I think we've all wanted more intelligent and random bosses. Not where in a week, you can't look it up on the internet to see the best way to to beat them. With that said.. it is not easy.. not in any way. Wouldn't it be cool to have a boss have different tactics on how your team is made up?
    MendelYashaX
  • WhytewulfWhytewulf Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Many wanted this content.. others did not.. It's a still going to be a choice to enter them or not.. Unless it blocks progression. I still think they are making progress.. time though is running short.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If you replace Amazon in the title as the studio and change the project name to some generic eastern one..

"Fantasy World's Expeditions Brings The PvE Content I've Wanted In Xian LLC Upcoming MMO"

Watch that trailer again now...

It's Amazon though the studio that hasn't delivered a single game worth mentioning/playing.. This game has been delayed a year already and spent hundreds of millions in development costs for what they currently have but somehow that is viewed as + not minus.
  • FoolOfATook39FoolOfATook39 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    A FFXIV style dungeon run is the last thing i want to hop into. They are boring af. The worst part of FFXIV imo. I can’t stand their linear and boring dungeons.
    McSleaz
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Whytewulf said:

Mendel said:

Wizardry said:

I think we've all wanted more intelligent and random bosses. Not where in a week, you can't look it up on the internet to see the best way to to beat them. With that said.. it is not easy.. not in any way. Wouldn't it be cool to have a boss have different tactics on how your team is made up?

We've had static for 20 years.... haven't they found time to work on things like this.

bcbully

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    I've had alpha access (originally under NDA, is it still?) for this game for.. I don't even know how long now, and never bothered to "test" it because it seemed to be all PvP focused.

If they add more than just instanced dungeon PvE to the game, I might try it out again after all this time.. though I'm still not very hopeful for it.
    keithian
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2021

Mendel said:

Wizardry said:

Maybe because min maxers would complain that intelligent enemies take too long to take down (trying to avoid imminent death) so they can't rush content.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    hahahha pve
    xpsync
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited May 2021
    Watched the IGN video just to remember how awkward their brand of "action combat" looks (and feels judging by my time in the game last summer.)

Neither the long cool downs on skills that don't do enough to deserve any kind of CD and animation lock of the slower weapons (I could never see myself using a 2HD hammer - just watch the video toward the end where almost every swing is a miss because you're animation-locked and the mobs move fast.)

But hey anyone who has whined about animation canceling in ESO, this is your game. Enjoy the self rooting, animation locks and cool downs... in an action game :)

Last summer I found myself gravitating toward ranged weapons, not because I didn't want to get in there and melee, but just because they feel slightly less awkward in combat.

Yes, adding repeatable dungeons was a good and much needed move to flesh out the PvE but now I'm back to my original doubts about the most basic part of the game, the combat itself.

And hey, here you go. Saving you a trip to YT or IGN:

[Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaXbcbullyxpsyncTwistedSister77TacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GrayjayGrayjay Newbie CommonPosts: 3

DAOWAce said:

I've had alpha access (originally under NDA, is it still?) for this game for.. I don't even know how long now, and never bothered to "test" it because it seemed to be all PvP focused.

If they add more than just instanced dungeon PvE to the game, I might try it out again after all this time.. though I'm still not very hopeful for it.

If you still have the steam code, I'd be thrilled to test out the alpha.
  • ReserReser Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Am I the only one who didn't want dungeons? To me New World felt like a hark back to MMOs from BEFORE WoW before the holy trinity and dungeons, and thats what made me love it.

It seems they have now caved to pressure from the WoW fans and made it another WoW clone now which is disappointing to me.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]xpsyncTwistedSister77[Deleted User]
    edited May 2021

Grayjay said:

DAOWAce said:

If you still have the steam code, I'd be thrilled to test out the alpha.

Once a codes been used you cant just remove it from your account and give it away.
    Thanks for baseless assumptions. You'll do much better if you read before responding, son.
    "daddy what does never mean?"

-Raser

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Grayjay said:
    Thanks for baseless assumptions. You'll do much better if you read before responding, son.
    Welcome to the forums! :)

Can I ask you not to immediately jump on posters who say something you don't like, there is just no need for that kind of response.
    ILLISETYashaX
    edited May 2021

Grayjay said:

He clearly said he has tried it before. Hence the key is used.
    edited May 2021

Note where he says "try it out again" hes obviously used it. Just never thoroughly played it.