Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation's Steven Sharif Clarifies Content Creator Program Details | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageAshes of Creation's Steven Sharif Clarifies Content Creator Program Details | MMORPG.com

Intrepid Studios recently revealed their revamped Content Creator Program to the community. Steven Sharif chimed in on Reddit as well to provide some clarification on the program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    15% real cash for all referrals renders any and everything streamed as highly suspect.

Just waiting for the NDA to drop so we can hopefully see the unfiltered truth about what exists.
    [Deleted User]BruceYeeMcSleazAlomar

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212
    A lot of people are going to get disappointed Friday when the NDA is lifted. And even if it looks decent enough it is only 7% finished the game, we won't be seeing a release until 2025 or something weird. Personally they look to promise people the moon and add 500$ founder packs looking like a real quick cash grab.

Rather get hyped about something that is coming out this year for example New World has seen insane updates since last years preview update it's a whole new game and all based on suggestions from the community. It's looking real good.
    McSleaz
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    15% real cash for all referrals renders any and everything streamed as highly suspect.

Just waiting for the NDA to drop so we can hopefully see the unfiltered truth about what exists.

Kind of one of those things you 'have' to accept with a crowd-funded title. I believe Crowfall has a similar system, but I think it just pertained to people who backed the game. I also think Steven had a similar system in place but just for backers at the time.

All that said, its not really my thing and I've always wanted to just play an mmorpg without outside elements interfering. This will always be the future of gaming though (or honestly anything since people try to monetize almost anything, just look up cat videos on youtube, I think I developed a cat video addiction since the pandemic....).
    Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Albatroes said:

Kind of one of those things you 'have' to accept with a crowd-funded title. I believe Crowfall has a similar system, but I think it just pertained to people who backed the game. I also think Steven had a similar system in place but just for backers at the time.

All that said, its not really my thing and I've always wanted to just play an mmorpg without outside elements interfering. This will always be the future of gaming though (or honestly anything since people try to monetize almost anything, just look up cat videos on youtube, I think I developed a cat video addiction since the pandemic....).
    If Crowfall has something like that where they pay you real cash for your referrals I missed it.  I have seen others give some store credit or in game items but I have never seen a company just pay of 15% of all sales (forever) in cash to a recruiter for any and all accounts they bring in.

Either way, the NDA is supposed to be dropping very soon so then we hopefully will get an unfiltered look at what reality is.  Maybe it's exactly as depicted...  we will know soon.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited May 2021
    To me you establish your credibility in many ways, often small ones. A company calling a Hype Influencer programme "Content Creators" just sticks in my craw. Be frank and I trust you, live and breath advertising and marketing lingo and I don't.
    [Deleted User]BruceYeeHaki88Alomar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    Albatroes said:

If Crowfall has something like that where they pay you real cash for your referrals I missed it.  I have seen others give some store credit or in game items but I have never seen a company just pay of 15% of all sales (forever) in cash to a recruiter for any and all accounts they bring in.

Either way, the NDA is supposed to be dropping very soon so then we hopefully will get an unfiltered look at what reality is.  Maybe it's exactly as depicted...  we will know soon.

I think Crowfall was about investing either into the game directly or their engine they were trying to sell or something. I think there was an article somewhere on this site a few years back about it. I'll update my post if I feel like sifting through to find it.

I think that Europia game or something has a 'cashout' system as well? Someone who actually plays that can give me a better clue.

But yeah, I'm with you. They need to show the actual game before throwing all these outside 'systems' at people. I know people are getting 'excited' about this game now, while forgetting that this game was in limbo around 2 years ago, when the game was supposed to be in beta back then. So I'd like to not count my chicken until they hatch with this title.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2021
    Here lies a very touchy subject.
    The definition of "content creator" as mentioned by Steven is of course one we all share.However in reality the developer is controlling the content so that it paints mostly a positive view of the game and THAT would NOT be properly informing gamers.

So he talks about sliding into a gray area of false information.Ok so here is where devs want their cake and eat it too.You can't on one hand claim the game is forever changing and THEN tell content creators they CANNOT speculate.
    Example we here it ALL the time "keep in mind this is only beta...Alpha and NOT the finished product"like devs use that line everytime to thwart criticism and VERY sadly most viewers buy into it the same way they are sucker to the phrase EARLY access.

Once you enter into the gray area of cash shops you are VERY much open season to speculative criticsm because there is NO WAY anyone can predict changes in cash shops.So for example people MIGHT be ok with the cash shop,invest time and money and then it becomes worse and worse over time.
    So then whet,is Steven going to give all their money back,of course not he would lau8gh and say thanks for being a sucker as i scammed all of you.

Even if we say BEST CASE scenario,the cash shop will not cost you more than say a monthly subscription to attain ALL of the games assets,let's say 100% agree it is FAIR,well imo a cash shop is NEVER fair,the sole intent is to get MORE money out of gamers than is FAIR.For 40 years we have been buying games,we BUY them that is is so just because some scummy studios along the way "Smedley is one of them" and started to exploit cash shops on dummies does NOT make it ever right or fair.
    Scot

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2021
    So i am a fair person ,if Steven wants to CONTROL what is being said about his game which of course benefits MOSTLY him he needs to give back with being totally honest the rest of the way.
    So for example if content is being coerced or OK'd by the developer we should know about it.if content is 100% freely distributed by the content creator,we shoudl know about it.This however is still a gray area because cotnent creators know if they don't play kiss ass they won't get hired in the future by any studio.

I think we can all live with advertisting but in 2021 moving forward we can NEVER know for sure if the content we view is being coerced and controlled,so now it jades us as viewers so that we become skeptical of everything and rightfully so.
    Steven and ALL of you developers are to blame,you try to be deceptive,you try to con us,lie to us and then expect us to be 100% on your side...pffft.How would you treat someone in real life like that,you definitely wouldn't call them your friend.
    BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:

I think Crowfall was about investing either into the game directly or their engine they were trying to sell or something. I think there was an article somewhere on this site a few years back about it. I'll update my post if I feel like sifting through to find it.

I think that Europia game or something has a 'cashout' system as well? Someone who actually plays that can give me a better clue.

But yeah, I'm with you. They need to show the actual game before throwing all these outside 'systems' at people. I know people are getting 'excited' about this game now, while forgetting that this game was in limbo around 2 years ago, when the game was supposed to be in beta back then. So I'd like to not count my chicken until they hatch with this title.
    Crowfall is selling their engine modifications to other developer teams. It's only their dev team selling stuff, no-one outside can earn any money that way.

I assume that name meant Entropia. Entropia Universe is a real cash economy where if you do well inside the game and earn cash, you can convert it to real money and make profit. It's completely different from Ashes's system because there you can earn through in-game actions, not from referring other people to the game.
    [Deleted User]

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    tzervo said:
    Xodic said:
    I tend to stay away from anything shaped like a pyramid.
    Even this?

Those pyramids need to be destroyed :)
    [Deleted User]

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited May 2021
    I'm betting 5 Toblerone that for "unexpected reasons" the NDA will not be dropped anytime soon.
    [Deleted User]
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    At beggining (and i mean several years ago) to get content creators to promote "game" which was not even released, no1 played it etc is shady af.

On other hand what content creators provide (they said, looking for small and big content creators). Why small? Why not only big? So they can spam streams, youtube about "some game" which is years and years ahead? Isnt steven said hype is bad but those streamers he choosed are making all hype?

On "third" hand, what kind of content those content creators provide? Restreaming official stream/video, talking about what what we saw/heard from official stream/video/blog/forum/discord/newsletter etc? They provide spam and hype nothing else.

But lets make another reddit post how we love stevens honesty and transparency....