Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future of mmos is rental servers.

Comments

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Ungood said:
    Rungar said:
    The new games offer things like this:

MMO's cannot compete with the instanced housing im allowed to "buy" and decorate or slightly modify. So somewhere in the middle of the Massive online and multiplayer is the medium massive online that someone mentioned. Thus the future is smaller population per world but bigger and better featured games where you can play with a large number of friends or on public servers if you prefer.
    Why Can't MMO's compete with this?

I guess that is the real elephant in the room.
    I wish they would. Do I see it happening? Not so sure. 

UngoodChampie
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Scot said:
    Ungood said:
    Rungar said:

MMO's cannot compete with the instanced housing im allowed to "buy" and decorate or slightly modify. So somewhere in the middle of the Massive online and multiplayer is the medium massive online that someone mentioned. Thus the future is smaller population per world but bigger and better featured games where you can play with a large number of friends or on public servers if you prefer.

If a MMO and modders could be brought together outside of the likes of Minecraft we could have that.
    Trove does this, to an extent, you need to submit your design and they need to approve it for in-game use.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

My general feeling is that in order to scale up number of players you have to scale down features. 

Thus somewhere in the middle someone will find the answer.  aka the medium massive online game. 
    ChampieGdemamiILLISET
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Ungood said:
    Rungar said:

I think the real elephant in the room is understanding how these games talk to each other and the player.

every item, every position has to not only be relayed to the server but related to the player. Now add combat to that, projectiles, various attacks and then add player made buildings that can be affected by other players and it seems that is why there is a limit on these types of servers.

The Valheim devs addressed this when some player asked them to increase the server capacities.

If memory serves.

Ungoodlaxie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    One of the most important things about servers is the data backup.

When I recently went back to playing EQ2 I had characters from 2004 when the game launched. The impressive thing is those characters all had houses with items in them. They also had house slots that had bags and items in them. Bank slots and your inventory with items in them and of course I cannot recall every item but my lord everything I recall I had was there and then some. All the quests were there too on my quest log.

Items I had placed on the broker I mean hundreds of things were all there. Think about that, this is 2021. They preserved everything I had done then. 17 years they kept my shit.

If private servers can give us this may be it is worth considering but I doubt very much I can trust some crackhead who loses his temper and decides to shut things down because he gets mad at something. This has happened before in WoW servers. So no thanks.

ChampielaxieUngood[Deleted User]SovrathScotMendelNilden
    Chamber of Chains
  • ChampieChampie Member UncommonPosts: 169
    How is one to ask an OP to stop responding to a thread with a terrible idea without getting a warning for not being nice enough?
    delete5230
    Champie said:
    How is one to ask an OP to stop responding to a thread with a terrible idea without getting a warning for not being nice enough?
    This kinda sucks for me too, because i wanted to hear it in all its glory.  

Champie
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Torval said:

So in short rental services are about playing with people I enjoy gaming with in an environment that suits us without all the riff-raff.
    This is an excellent TLDR for why smaller scope rental servers are vastly superior IMO. Well said.
    RungarGdemami[Deleted User]

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I have thought this for a while.  Make a MMORPG based around allowing players creating their own classes and content, worlds and etc.  To me things like this would greatly benefit from advanced procedural content as well.  One way to have avoid having to set up a ton of quest.  You just setup the narrative and rules to your spawning, quest and etc.  Procedurally generate the rest. 

MMORPG just beg to the procedurally generated.  

RungarGdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Torval said:

So in short rental services are about playing with people I enjoy gaming with in an environment that suits us without all the riff-raff.
    This is an excellent TLDR for why smaller scope rental servers are vastly superior IMO. Well said.
    TLDR: Its all about the riff-raff. :)
    Mendellaxie
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I have thought this for a while.  Make a MMORPG based around allowing players creating their own classes and content, worlds and etc.  To me things like this would greatly benefit from advanced procedural content as well.  One way to have avoid having to set up a ton of quest.  You just setup the narrative and rules to your spawning, quest and etc.  Procedurally generate the rest. 

It's called minecraft, and it is very popular.

I'm actually confused why OP can't play whatever he enjoy now.  

My guess is OP want to play whatever he is playing now, just be more grand?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    AAAMEOW said:

Not even close honestly. Not sure why in MMORPG crowd new ideas are always followed by someone play something else. Then folks turn around and complain about WoW standard for the last 17 years.
    Gdemami
    Ungood said:
    Rungar said:

Very simple... landmass problem, you're going to need a HUGE landmass to accomodate hundreds of players. And clutter, players will focus at the "best" spots and ruin the landscape, as seen in UO like 20 years ago.

Also, if there's PvP interaction with housing, you will have asshats going out of their way to ruin other player's property.
    To be fair, they said "Instance Based" which means that it would not be competitive for ideal spots, nor could someone else screw with your little home instance.

Trove does this with Club Worlds.
    Crowfall does something like this with Eternal Kingdoms.

So, I am really at a loss as to why MMO's, can't be this good.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706

SWG actually used procedural generation for the planetary surfaces, thats the only reason why the game achieved such large landmasses. Cities and POIs were still handcrafted ofc. The majority of quests were also procedurally generated, it was only the rebel and empire themeparks, plus a handful of other quests, that were manually created.

So yeh, it can definitely be achieved, and was achieved (in a basic state compared to today's possibilities) 17 year ago.

SWG actually used procedural generation for the planetary surfaces, thats the only reason why the game achieved such large landmasses. Cities and POIs were still handcrafted ofc. The majority of quests were also procedurally generated, it was only the rebel and empire themeparks, plus a handful of other quests, that were manually created.

So yeh, it can definitely be achieved, and was achieved (in a basic state compared to today's possibilities) 17 year ago.

Valheim is pretty good at procedural generation. I feel when you have your procedural generation right, you dont actually need quests because you will generate your own naturally. Basebuilding is like the ultimate quest in this regard. 

Modern quests are terrible anyway and I would much rather find a scrap of parchment telling you only the existence of something rather than be led by the nose to it. 
    GdemamiVermillion_Raventhal
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Rungar said:

Very simple... landmass problem, you're going to need a HUGE landmass to accomodate hundreds of players. And clutter, players will focus at the "best" spots and ruin the landscape, as seen in UO like 20 years ago.

Also, if there's PvP interaction with housing, you will have asshats going out of their way to ruin other player's property.
    To be fair, they said "Instance Based" which means that it would not be competitive for ideal spots, nor could someone else screw with your little home instance.

@Ungood ;

I think you misread Rungar, he's saying that the instanced housing in MMO's like you are talking about can not compete with the type of housing in games like Valheim. I completely agree, I have zero desire to play a game where the housing is instanced.  
    UngoodGdemami

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Rungar said:

I think you misread Rungar, he's saying that the instanced housing in MMO's like you are talking about can not compete with the type of housing in games like Valheim. I completely agree, I have zero desire to play a game where the housing is instanced.  
    To be fair, the instance housing in most MMO's is not that good, so you can understand my confusion.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited May 2021
    The future of new MMOs is dead....emu is what we got.

Though I do happen to like FFXIV story, I can see how some people hate story if they can't be bothered to care about the lore of the world they play in.

With that said SWG Pre-cu might have been up his alley with what he wants, but it sounds like it was before his time. xD
    Gdemami
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Tiller said:
    The future of new MMOs is dead....emu is what we got.

Though I do happen to like FFXIV story, I can see how some people hate story if they can't be bothered to care about the lore of the world they play in.

With that said SWG Pre-cu might have been up his alley with what he wants, but it sounds like it was before his time. xD

The thing is, listening to his opinion, it seems that he mostly values the affect that other players have on not only the game world but "other players."

And sadly, the greatest strength of mmorpg's, other players, is also their greatest weakness.

There are too many players who like to mess with other players for shits and giggles and no one with any sense of self esteem is going to sign in and endure that nonsense. Let alone pay for it.

mmorpg's worked in the early years because it was a smaller group of geek players who were reveling in the idea that they could all meet with like minded people and really form a community.

Of course there were the players who wanted to mess with everyone but it seems that they were a minority. Now it's just large amounts of selfish, poisonous players along with well meaning players who just want to have a positive game play experience.

So that brings us here where developers create content for a lot of soloists or small groups that you the player can pick.

I"m not really sure they are wrong when all is said and done and that's disappointing.

[Deleted User]TillerMendelYashaXUngood
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    AAAMEOW said:

Not even close honestly. Not sure why in MMORPG crowd new ideas are always followed by someone play something else. Then folks turn around and complain about WoW standard for the last 17 years.
    People probably tried, like more realistic version of minecraft or EQ next.  

The OP could go to survival game forum and asking the developer to make their game bigger.  Which I assume that is what the OP is asking.  But who is making it?

Everything just sound good on paper.  But who is making it?  Not to mention you probably need a game engine which is capable of procedurally generated content for it to even start.  

If something is never made before, it is probably not that easy to make IMO.  

edited May 2021
    Rungar said:

Valheim is pretty good at procedural generation. I feel when you have your procedural generation right, you dont actually need quests because you will generate your own naturally. Basebuilding is like the ultimate quest in this regard. 

Modern quests are terrible anyway and I would much rather find a scrap of parchment telling you only the existence of something rather than be led by the nose to it. 
    But you dont' want to play suvival game, nor mmorpg.  You want to play cross breed?

What's so different from your cross breed to the current suvival game or mmorpg.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2021
    Biggest bone-head-idea yet !

This says it all,
    So you use the word "rental" as in a person or individual is paying for it.

Putting your faith in ONE person for months and years... This flat out voids this idea. 

Their are many problems associated with mmorpgs..... servers are not one of them.

People leave games, populations drop.... Rental servers would make it much worst by splitting the communities from the start.  

Important :
    Rental servers amplifies this problem 10-fold. Now your not only splitting the servers, but creating more replicas of the game.  Run by <quote> crack heads.

I remember early World of Warcraft..... everyone and their brother created Guilds, splitting the community deeper and deeper. 

From reading ALL responses above, it seems most agree this is a bad idea, yet this topic goes on and on.
    ScotChampieMendelUngoodBrainyArglebargle
    edited May 2021
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:

TLDR: Its all about the riff-raff. :)

The TL;DR is I just want to play with my friends. I don't care if others want to play with strangers for whatever reasons they have. I'm not arguing against that. That particular aspect doesn't interest me very much at the moment. I can play an MMO but it isn't what draws me to the game.

I just spent a couple months playing ESO and WoW. I didn't play them because they're MMOs. I played them because my friends were playing and I wanted to game with them.

The new game Sword of Legends Online looks a little interesting to me, but I'm not going to play it unless some of my friends do as well. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but it's where I'm at.

So, while I don't necessary think THE future is private servers, I think it will continue to be a growing popular option.
    I was winding you up, the riff-raff concern me, in fact I think I have used that term before when talking about the way in a MMO where you have B2P or sub it keeps FTP types out.

Whereas I do see MMOs as worlds where we should meet and engage through gameplay and conversation with people we don't know. I am not suggesting that should be the thrust of gameplay just a significant element. I will only now play a MMO in a guild, it does not have to be one I have old friends in but that surely helps. In fact a guild is a good way of meeting people outside the guild, they vouch for people and you connect easily that way. I do realise that there is a contradiction here the guilds are themselves bubbles, in some ways this is our "server". But the guilds want to interact with outsiders, they don't want to be a closed system.

To me forming small server gaming bubbles hinders that vision, but I too see it as something that may well become increasingly popular.
    Ungood
    Delete, just because we think it is a bad idea does not mean it will go away. Either with posters on here or in the gaming world, we just have to keep speaking out when it keeps coming back. Also no one is a bone head, they have a right to espouse their views without being called names. But I agree with you this is counterproductive to what a MMORPG should stand for.
    delete5230ChampieMendellaxie[Deleted User]
    I don't think there's anything wrong with people being more selective as to who they want to play with. 

if anything it will be good for the genre that advertises massive multiplayer but designs mostly solo experiences.
    [Deleted User]