Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

44% of Polled Developers Said Their Games Suffered a Delay Due to Pandemic According to GDC State of

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

image44% of Polled Developers Said Their Games Suffered a Delay Due to Pandemic According to GDC State of the Industry Report | MMORPG.com

A GDC report was published recently which saw the results of its annual State of the Industry survey. Given the last year saw some pretty trying conditions for developing games with the pandemic, the findings of this survey proved to be pretty interesting.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    k
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Makes sense, I think most aspects of Life got slowed down at least a bit.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I feel like one of the only people on Earth that this "pandemic" hasn't had any effect on. My job didn't close down or slow up for a single day. I nor none of my coworkers took a single day off for anything covid related. We worked along side one another just as we have always done, no silly plexiglass barriers or sheets of hanging plastic around.  It's been really weird watching the world turtle up and hide while we just went on with our normal lives. 

Hopefully these companies can get back on track and get to work. 
    [Deleted User]McSleaz

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited April 2021
    On one hand, all the delays were a small part of a shit year.

On the other, I totally get it. There were initial challenges in my office switching to home work, and the amount of collaboration with us isn't 10% of the collaboration I imagine goes on in game development. Then you have to worry about leaks in one of the few industries where the consumers are actively looking for leaks and well.... it must be a nightmare.
    [Deleted User]Sovrath
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    yes because it not like delays is kinda the norm in this industry.

meh I call it more we are delayed again, so what is the scuse today? polish is too used, lets use a new one and we will get even some sympathy

Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Shadowlands 9.1 case and point, we are getting it, some day.

They are already talking about 9.2, which makes me doubt we will be checking out a 10 in about a year in a bit when you'd expect the next expansion to arrive, it'll probably be 9.2.

Which i'm ok with actually as they are now talking about not going all tabula rasa every two years with a new expac and working towards always forward progression, and as long as they don't turn it in to the mess EQ2 is, then yeah bring it on, would totally be a better way to roll.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited April 2021
    This is a rather weighted headline, because if it had said:

"66% of Polled Developers Said Their Games Did Not Suffer a Delay Due to Pandemic According to GDC State of the Industry Report."

The question would immediately be 'so how come 44% did'? What's up with those guys that they were not able to cope with it?
    GdemamiMcSleaz
    Scot said:

"66% of Polled Developers Said Their Games Did Not Suffer a Delay Due to Pandemic According to GDC State of the Industry Report."

The question would immediately be 'so how come 44% did'? What's up with those guys that they were not able to cope with it?
    Watched an interview with preach and ion, and ion said they got 9.0 out relatively on time working from home becasue it was almost done, as in conceptualized, created, polished.

However fully from home they are feeling how the working from home is not working out starting at conceptualize, toss around idea's, collaborate, hit the grindstone, it's weak, it's what offices, workplaces are for.

So to me it reads that 66% of developers were on nearly completed projects.
    [Deleted User]Scot

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Tomorrow's headline:

100% of Scammer Developers Said Their Games Suffered a Delay Due to Pandemic According to GDC State of the Industry Report
    xpsyncMcSleazScot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    xpsync said:
    Scot said:

Watched an interview with preach and ion, and ion said they got 9.0 out relatively on time working from home becasue it was almost done, as in conceptualized, created, polished.

However fully from home they are feeling how the working from home is not working out starting at conceptualize, toss around idea's, collaborate, hit the grindstone, it's weak, it's what offices, workplaces are for.

Ok then so if the projects are relatively new we need to get them back into the office NOW! :)
    Scot said:
    xpsync said:
    Scot said:

Ok then so if the projects are relatively new we need to get them back into the office NOW! :)

haha :)

Hell Yeah brother!!! Like yesterday!

edited April 2021
    Tomorrow's headline:

100% of Scammer Developers Said Their Games Suffered a Delay Due to Pandemic According to GDC State of the Industry Report

For all the white knights out there we try to bring back down to earth.

I tried to get it to cue at 26:30 which sums all the scams so well.

GdemamiScot

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Uh almost all of our lives suffered a delay due to the pandemic.
    xpsyncScot