Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamigo's Twin Saga, Defiance, and Defiance 2050 Are Shutting Down Today | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageGamigo's Twin Saga, Defiance, and Defiance 2050 Are Shutting Down Today | MMORPG.com

A quick PSA in case this slipped past you, Gamigo is shutting down several titles today, including Twin Saga, Defiance, and Defiance 2050. Though the actual news of the shutdowns were announced earlier this year in February, the time has come.

Read the full story here

Comments

• yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Funny that I saw a recommendation for Defiance on my Steam yesterday.
    foppoteeRexKushman
  • urriel1970urriel1970 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    rift is next
    ApridiseBrotherMaynard
  • nprosenprose Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Defiance was really good back in the day, when it was running alongside the TV series. I remember watching the weekly episodes, and then running the weekly missions. Good times.
    JHLotBLeiHngWeiDarkEvilHatredApridise
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508

nprose said:

Defiance was really good back in the day, when it was running alongside the TV series. I remember watching the weekly episodes, and then running the weekly missions. Good times.

I remember while the tv series was active there was suppose to be some sort of synergy between the tv & the game. I never experienced it but didn't play it much back then. I enjoyed playing Defiance somewhat but it never "awed" me enough to invest $ into it heavily.
    [Deleted User]
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    I enjoyed Defiance for a while. Too many games release on a constant basis to stick with one for very long. Both a good thing and a bad thing I suppose. I often wish a game would hold my attention for an extended length of time but then SHINY happens.
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    edited April 2021
    I really do miss Defiance the TV show and it was what got me even to try the game. Once they ended the TV show, I quickly lost interest in the game. I liked the show so much, I even wrote SYFY and begged them not to end the series.

The only TV shows that I miss as much as Defiance are The Expanse and LIVE PD.

RIP Defiance!
    Po_ggApridiseAsm0deus
  • BO2020BO2020 Newbie CommonPosts: 2

rift is next

No it's not.
  • BO2020BO2020 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I been playing Twin Saga a lot since they announced the shutdown. I played it some before but I played more of it since the announcement. I really enjoyed it. I hope they make a new Twin Saga even if it's on mobile. I wish they didn't shut it down yet.
    I hope they didn't shut Eden Eternal down yet because they said they were but it wasn't mentioned here.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2021

RIP Defiance!
    There were quite a few with worse fates overall, like Firefly, or Cameron's Dark Angel if look further back in the past, etc.  Defiance at least has a proper ending with Nolan flying off, it's a nice closure and the rebuilding of the arch kinda puts it in a frame.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a shame they've cancelled it, just as much it is now the game's cancel as well. It was an interesting project, and most likely there won't be anything similar in the future.
    Too bad they couldn't really live up to the promise...
    foppotee said:
    I remember while the tv series was active there was suppose to be some sort of synergy between the tv & the game. I never experienced it but didn't play it much back then.
    There wasn't much, and definitely ain't even close to the original plans/promises during the announcement times.
    Intertwined stories, the two medium affecting each other back and forth, etc., sounded really ambitious but in reality it was the show dominating.
    Which is kinda logical, the show has way higher costs and production times, they couldn't just shoot something after the feedbacks from the game side... at least not mid-season, for the next episode.

The closest thing to an actual game-to-show feedback could've been the event inbetween season 1 and 2, where they said the outcome of the event will determine... quickly backed from that into will have effects on how season 2 will kick off.
    And then nothing, besides a short mention by one of the characters.

So, the synergy was mainly the game was following the show. But that's still more than any other games have had...
    (DCUO used to reflect on current events in comics, with a delay, if that counts)
  • doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited April 2021
    This usually means one thing, Defiance Unchained soon!
    mklinicxpsyncApridise
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited April 2021
    This is sad.

Sure it's not the most top shelf game of all time but it was fun af.

I played this with my boys while we watched the show, lots of great memories there. I mean i not going to say the game sucked when it was so much fun to play.

The problem in this mmorpg genre where, everything became a wow clone, to a barren desert, and the ones which survived gave zero confidence when they were being ignored, bought and sold.

All we get now is talk, and more talk, form people trying to milk the faithful fans whom remain.

Looking forward to the EMU :) give the game back to people who care, the players!
    Gdemami
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Defiance was a fun game with a few flaws I assumed would be fixed as the game continued. I played it during its beta and even got the collectors edition for it. I watched every episode of the show and thought it was actually pretty good.

I don't know all the details, but that game just seemed to have stopped developing/adding new content around 2016.

I didn't fully understand why they re-branded and created Defiance 2050 with barely enough changes to justify a new game client, that only ended up splitting the playerbase into two different servers.

I wish the devs luck though. Hopefully they found other jobs soon after.

doomex

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    APThug said:
    Defiance was a fun game with a few flaws I assumed would be fixed as the game continued. I played it during its beta and even got the collectors edition for it. I watched every episode of the show and thought it was actually pretty good.

I don't know all the details, but that game just seemed to have stopped developing/adding new content around 2016.

I didn't fully understand why they re-branded and created Defiance 2050 with barely enough changes to justify a new game client, that only ended up splitting the playerbase into two different servers.

I wish the devs luck though. Hopefully they found other jobs soon after.

"A few flaws"? Well, that's an understatement if I ever saw one!

Defiance had more than a few flaws. It had a crapton of flaws of every category. The launch was a shitshow. It took them a month to stop entire XBOX server clusters from crashing. It took players a day to figure out that the tiny zone is all there was at that stage. It took Trion 3-4 weeks to start pushing legendary gear in lootboxes in the game store, salivating at all the $$$ in players' wallets.

Just have a look around their blog, it's still hilarious how they were screwing up every single day, until the executive producer got fired and they stopped the blog. The guy spent half the time in his own reality anyway, claiming excellent progress, only for things to blow up in his face the following day and the community basically proving Trion full of shit at every turn.

Remember the famous ark events, when people discovered that all calculations were done client side and you had major arkfalls completed in seconds, with leaderboard showing 9.999.999.999 damage done by the top player? Remember the PvP hacks - wall hacks, speed hacks, weapon hacks - that were going on for ages after release and Trion could not fix them? And how could they, with half the game mechanics done 100% client side? They would have had to rewrite half the client-server interaction to fix that crap.

The game itself was desperately average, its graphics were outdated already upon its release, the content was almost non-existent and all that players saw were empty promises of new zones and events once the bugs are fixed, while Trion went into full whale milking frenzy almost immediately. After a week or two Trion knew full well the game was tanking and they tried to squeeze as much cash out of people as they could while it still had some community to speak of.

The only thing going for the game was the link with the (pretty mediocre) TV show and even that was almost non-existent in the game. It even took place in a completely different zone, half a continent away from the TV show's locale.

I had fun (including the community drama) with Defiance for the first month and then packed my bags and never logged back in. A couple of weeks was all that game deserved, tbh. And we don't speak of Defiance 2050, that was just Trion's last-ditch attempt to squeeze a couple of hundred dollars out of the 50 remaining desperates they still had in the game.

Gdemami
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Gamigo doesn't seem to have much luck with games do they?
  • kadaskekadaske Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Жаль что она так и не добралась до Ру сегмента.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    I really do miss Defiance the TV show and it was what got me even to try the game. Once they ended the TV show, I quickly lost interest in the game. I liked the show so much, I even wrote SYFY and begged them not to end the series.

RIP Defiance!

I thought that ending to the tv show was pretty epic too tbh!
    Po_gg

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.