Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outriders DLSS Tech Analysis | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 7,110

imageOutriders DLSS Tech Analysis | MMORPG.com

Outriders is one of the latest games to receive Nvidia's DLSS technology. Shank takes a look at the DLSS implementation to understand the extent of its improvement to performance and visuals.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,897
    I must be getting old. I see no difference. Like, at all.
    mmolou

Joined - July 2004

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,248
    I also didn't see a huge difference overall but in general I preferred DLSS off. I ran your video at my native 1440 to get the best possible display and turned down video speed to 50% so I could have enough time to get an impression.

DLSS Performance mode nearly always looked much worse than either. DLSS Quality mode sometimes looked on par, but usually just a little worse.

Since you seemed to be averaging above 60FPS natively I would probably choose that over DLSS. However, since I don't have 4K and run at 1440p I would probably prefer to run at 1440p using variable rate refresh and try to hit 144FPS when possible.

Maybe the first hand experience of DLSS impressed you but I got the opposite effect watching it in the video. This video also reinforced that I'm probably much happier at 1440 than building a rig that can do 4K properly. 4K doesn't seem worth the extra cost and effort.

I strongly agree that limited graphic and config options for a PC port can be maddening. I prefer to have more granular control especially when it comes to disabling some effects like Depth of Field. I do like it when there is a tooltip explaining how the setting affects the game display.
    Iselin
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 15,531
    edited April 17
    The visual comparison was also hard for me to tell probably because Outriders does not use ray tracing.

In games with RTX and granular RTX options such as CP2077 the interplay between RTX and DLSS is much more readily visible and dramatic because in some cases DLSS makes the difference between being able to use RTX at all (by "at all" I mean consistent 30FPS+ but my personal criteria is 60FPS+) and it's the use of RTX that gives you the unmistakable visual quality improvement.

DLSS without RTX is all about FPS only.

Also, like @Torval, I am more than happy with 1440p native. The extra horsepower required to game at 4K just doesn't seem worth it to me. 

But hey, I do appreciate Pooma's tech analysis articles. More of that about notable new games please :)
    Torval
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,248
    edited April 17
    I also really liked this article. Sorry I didn't mention that in my earlier post. It isn't often I feel like picking through a video and really looking at variations like I did. This article is interesting for sure and would like to read more like it.
    DAOWAce
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 376
    So yet another DLSS implementation with artifacting.

Are developers getting lazier or are games just plainly releasing unfinished now? Death Stranding and Control stand out worlds above the others for DLSS; not really much excuse for other games to have it poorly implemented.
    Torval