Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Games raises $1 billion to build the Metaverse

francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
"Epic Games said today it has raised $1 billion in a new round of funding in its bid to build the metaverse, the universe of virtual worlds that are all interconnected, like in novels such as Snow Crash and Ready Player One."

"One of the keys to the metaverse will be making realistic animated digital humans, and two of Epic’s leaders — Paul Doyle and Vladimir Mastilović — will speak on that topic at our upcoming GamesBeat Summit 2021 conference on April 28 and April 29."

"Sweeney has been one of the biggest advocates for the metaverse in recent years. At our GamesBeat Summit event in January, he said that the metaverse should be built with open standards so that walled gardens do not dominate the community."

"I asked Sweeney what the killer attraction of the metaverse would be. He said the killer feature is simply getting together with your friends to have great social experiences, like going outdoors for a walk. That’s more fun than just sitting on a couch and talking."

"“We realized that you don’t need this crazy technology to do this,” he said. “We have everything we need right now. And the limiting factor on becoming reality is not much more than that. Developers learning what elements really make for awesome online social experiences, continuity of experience, and science fiction.”"

https://venturebeat.com/2021/04/13/epic-games-raises-1-billlion-to-fund-long-term-metaverse-plans/

Comments

• CanPantherCanPanther Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Unless it's free, I see no reason for a another gate to access the online universe. And, besides, it would just turn into VR game lobby with gangs of griefers roaming the world causing shit. 
    francis_baudGdemami
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill

- Rush, Freewill (Album: Permanent Waves)
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    A billion dollars??  The DreamWorld guys are doing this for $10K!
    WhiteLanternKumaponfrancis_baudNildenKyleranScotxpsyncQuizzicalTillerSovrathand 1 other.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    All it needs now is its own crypto currency and we are truly next level..... Heard it here first.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Iselin[Deleted User]Kylerancheyanefrancis_baudArglebargle
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2021
    lahnmir said:
    All it needs now is its own crypto currency and we are truly next level..... Heard it here first.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sweeneyum? Sweeneycoin?
    lahnmir[Deleted User]Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sweeneyum? Sweeneycoin?
    I was thinking about The Sweeney, Stable Sweeney, or Sweeney Moons.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2021
    Wait, wasn't it over in the thread about Raph's new game some folks claimed there was only a very limited market for games constructed with more social interaction features, even accusing him of pushing an agenda which didn't really exist?

Apparently the folks at Epic, Sony and others agree there's a large untapped market and are willing to pony up with a billion in cash just for starters.

Maybe @Raph should consider hitching his wagon to this effort, perhaps they could toss some much needed funding his way.
    francis_baud

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    sounds like a prison.
    francis_baud
    .05 of a second to midnight
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Believe it or not, the lead designer behind Entropa Universe published a paper a few years back discussing the creation of a similar mega universe of interconnected game world's (guess he watched Ready Player One too)

In that paper he outlined a vision which included his own cryptocurrency which would be used as legal tender between all game world's as well as be converted to real world cash just like his current game does.

He also discussed how players might be "hired" to perform online "jobs" and paid wages for their services.

I wonder if his company is any part of this initiative?
    francis_baud

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2021
    Well if the worlds are anything like the backgrounds two of the developers have in their photos I think that's a pass. I would not expect photorealistic but I would not put up with Candy Crush visuals either.
    I will never play a game that has a cryptocurrency attached because we all know it will be a haven for people trying to make a buck by any, and every, means possible. 
    francis_baudKyleranTheocritusScotGdemami
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    I'm not sure that starting with the grandest of scales is wise. The idea of connecting games in a single universe is good and has been proposed and discussed in the past, but it might make more sense to start with games that share the same setting, world, lore, etc.

A good example is the Warhammer franchise (both 40k and fantasy). With so many games sharing the same background and universe, it would make for a better initial experiment. Connecting a huge range of game types AND game worlds might be too much for the first step.

The big question is who and how will ensure the 'overheads' of such connected multiverse - the background services ensuring communication between the games, distributing tasks, updates, etc. You know, the thankless and expensive tasks that no player will pay for directly (because technically they're not a game). But which are essential, so that a player on a grand campaign in Total War: Warhammer can create world updates and tasks for a party about to pwn some skaven behinds in Vermintide, for example.

Negotiations about profit-sharing would be tough and would probably have to be directed and enforced by a strong third party, e.g. the IP owner.

francis_baudGdemami
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Would it mean players would have a single character (avatar) over all the online games? How would it be so different than what we've got now, a bunch of separate characters over different games?

I'm not sure I understand the point of linking all online games together.
    i can see the point of linking worlds together. This lets you have smaller static worlds but also allows visitors to those worlds. This results in a more social experience. The other thing is that it lets you explore other worlds. 

I dont believe any of this can work though without procedurally generated worlds. 
    francis_baud
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Rungar said:
    i can see the point of linking worlds together. This lets you have smaller static worlds but also allows visitors to those worlds. This results in a more social experience. The other thing is that it lets you explore other worlds. 

I dont believe any of this can work though without procedurally generated worlds. 
    Yes but we can already explore new "worlds" by purchasing a new game on Steam. So maybe it's all about the immersion, seamlessly moving from one game to the next. But then do we have to pay to transition to a new game, or we're just paying for the "Metaverse" costs?
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited April 2021

Yeah my money is on DreamWorld :)
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    xpsync said:

You mean was! Some hooker has your money by now I would imagine. 
    xpsyncKyleranIselin
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Rungar said:
    xpsync said:

Something has to be done this is 100% suckers buy me a new high end pc fund.

I mean there should be laws, well after i get my 1 billion for my MegaVerseDreamWorld game i'm going to make, then yeah implement laws.
    RungarKyleran
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    xpsync said:
    Rungar said:
    xpsync said:

Something has to be done this is 100% suckers buy me a new high end pc fund.

I mean there should be laws, well after i get my 1 billion for my MegaVerseDreamWorld game i'm going to make, then yeah implement laws.
    If something was done about that, do you think you would still be living in the same world? That being said, I am open to anyone interested in sending me a high end pc :)
    xpsyncKyleran
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    If they wanted to add a cryptocurrency, it would cost $1 trillion, not $1 billion.
    CryomatrixGdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don' think this is what it sounds like or what i thought it was.
    This just sounds like big businesses investing in Epic games and nothing more than that.
    They plan on growing their social platform around 3 games i couldn't car less about like Rocket League/FN and Fall guys.

Simply amazes me how the the young generation of gamer is easily coerced into the NOW,the modern ideas no matter how lame they are how lame the games are.All they see is "popular" and want to be part of the popular,see me now era.
    I pick games i want to play because i find them FUN or interactive,interesting and NEVER because it is popular or the IN THING to do.

I have seen how much money the FN cash shop alone is making and it is a lot and likely why investors find it so easy to invest into Epic.Their numbers are surprisingly a bit lower than TakeTwo/ROckstars cash shop profits but both are insanely high profits into  the hundreds of millions a year.

So if you do the simple math,hundreds of millions soon turns into billions and everyone wants a piece of that pie.

IMO Epic deserves to do well,they actually worked hard to develop one of the best games engines year after year as well have done some good things with gift awards to people/teams showing great skills with the make something Unreal contests.IMUCH rather see someone like Epic make it rich than the scummy Valve Steam platform that do NOTHING but cash in on OTHER people's work taking an unjust 30% of THEIR profits.

francis_baud

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I hope they pay Karl Pilkington his fair share

cheyaneScot
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Insane amount of mula.
    Chamber of Chains
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I can live without Epic games...Their empire is based on a game that is pure garbage....If that is what we are going to get more of, then no thanks.
    Gdemami
    I can live without Epic games...Their empire is based on a game that is pure garbage....If that is what we are going to get more of, then no thanks.
    What is wrong with the Unreal series?  B)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]

lahnmir said:
    What is wrong with the Unreal series?  B)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sssh... Don't ruin the narrative.

;)