Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stealth

2»

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,559
    edited April 5
    Wargfoot said:
    I enjoyed stealth in LOTRO immensely; however, I'd agree that it has to be balanced against other skills in the game.  There were periods in LOTRO PvMP where 6 wargs couldn't take down a single Warden - stealth there didn't mean much.  
    [...]
    From my perspective the biggest balance issue in any game is ranged vs. melee.
    Usually the game designers give ranged fighters way... and I do mean WAY too much power.  The traditional D&D mage was a glass cannon - that hasn't been the case in any MMORPG I've ever played.
    Yep, but that wasn't a stealth issue, not even a warg one... warden was OP as hell :)
    And deliberately so, to add some fuel to the fire.
    Turbine said it's a new gameplay (the gambit system), it's different and challenging, but if someone manages to wrestle with it, there will be a nice reward at the end, a real powerhouse character.

They fast reconsidered when wardens started to solo dungeons... not all of them, but many enough for inciting a nerf.

Ranged v melee, in original LotRO it was decent, minstrel barely could level alone, and lore-master wasn't much more durable either. In most games it's similar, I believe. For PvE, that is.
    But I guess you mean too much power in pvp... :)
    Which can't be helped, the entire history of "pvp" (war) was about increasing ranged damage. It's always safer to kill from afar.

D&D had a nice balance for it, with the HP and the AC. Mages (especially on the lower levels) indeed were like wet paper towel, while fighters coined the term "tank" with their durability.

Like the trap room scene in the movie Gamers, thief gets one-shotted but can't disarm it, party gets annoyed, sends in Rogar, gets all the damage from the trap right in the face, then (in mocking voice) OH NO, I only have 180 85 HP left :)

ed. https://youtu.be/oSynJyq2RRo?t=2122  
    at least got the 8 right... haven't watched it since ages :) 

also, is it just me but since the site started shooting flares into the cloud (a few days ago they went to cloudflare) the whole site falls apart? Slow load, icons and boxes everywhere, it looks like they're trying to squeeze things together into a mobile-feed format (and fail in that)
    Post edited by Po_gg on
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,694
    In real life, stealth is composed of so many different things. Hiding yourself from sight. Learning to be seen and then ignored - blending in with the average people. Avoiding lines of sight. Keeping your noise levels as low as possible. Even making your own smells unnoticable.
    That's a good description!
    WargfootUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WargfootWargfoot Member RarePosts: 455
    I think there are many considerations when it comes to stealth.
    Many things are broken by poor choices made in other areas.

For example, it makes sense for a cloth caster to be very easy to kill if it is possible to have warriors protect the casters.  However, the decision to allow players to run through each other (no collision detection) means that in every battle a low HP caster would be the first to die - it isn't possible to have 'battle lines'.

In short, current mechanics mean there really are no battle lines - everyone is essentially on the front line.

That is just an example of how a step away from realism breaks many other things.
    AlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,563
    Po_gg said:
    D&D had a nice balance for it, with the HP and the AC. Mages (especially on the lower levels) indeed were like wet paper towel, while fighters coined the term "tank" with their durability.
    DDO does a lot in this direction, where you can build against casters and even ranged users. Using Shields, Deflection Items, Blur, Dodge, and all manner to make it harder to hit or hurt you, as well just moving about. As far as casters go, there are things like Spell Absorption, that can just neutralize the damage from casters, allowing a melee to get close and beat them down.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.