Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online 'World of Flashpoint' Permanently Free for Everyone | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageDC Universe Online 'World of Flashpoint' Permanently Free for Everyone | MMORPG.com

In some surprising news, the folks behind DC Universe Online have announced that World of Flashpoint episode will be free for everyone. No, this isn't an April Fool's joke.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630
    I love how people all have comments one way or another when the "revised"(?) / "revamped"(?) membership sub hasn't even been revealed yet. Obviously they are going to want to put a sub plan in place that is overwhelmingly appealing, just ask ESO.
    McSleaz
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited March 2021

I love how people all have comments one way or another when the "revised"(?) / "revamped"(?) membership sub hasn't even been revealed yet. Obviously they are going to want to put a sub plan in place that is overwhelmingly appealing, just ask ESO.

Without the comments Social Media would not churn, talking about something which is not even out yet is par the course. Churns gotta churn.
    [Deleted User]
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Think about the forums here....

Tons of experts on everything, even before they see it, they know it.

Why would those comments surprise you at all?
  • McSleazMcSleaz Member RarePosts: 280
    I used to love this game ALOT. Spent hundreds of hours getting the different customizations & then F2P ruined the fun. If they are re-vamping the F2P and do something closer to ESO I'll give it a try again.
    [Deleted User]
  • AugustusGAugustusG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited March 2021
    It remember me the only area I buyed in DCUO who had the longuest queue of all the option I have. It's allways better for the paying players if the F2P can access everything to help.
    I wish they make a DCUO 2, the graphics have ageed.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Hengist said:

Think about the forums here....

Tons of experts on everything, even before they see it, they know it.

Why would those comments surprise you at all?

As this is typical throughout social media, it would be no surprise anywhere.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited March 2021
    Torval said:
    If this is true then it makes me wonder if old school F2P has run its course and is evolving to something more hybrid in nature.
    It might be the case overall, and it's indeed run its course (for example SWTOR is adding a "battle pass" of sort, just for Mars  :) )

But it doesn't fit for this announcement, since DCUO doesn't have an "old school f2p" the first place.
    Actually it's just barely more than Wow's trial, you can level to 30 (just like in Wow to 20), the difference is you don't have to sub to continue beyond that (like in Wow), just... you'll barely be able to do anything otherwise.
    And even those few things you can do past 30, will make you feel miserable, to serve as a really strong incentive for the sub.

I'm curious about the details of the revamp, but until those details arrive, I wonder: why now?
    My wild guess is (wild, unless the other games will say something too), they probably will discontinue All Access.
    The games are now separated into (semi-) individual teams, then they got a new parent company above their heads, while you still can play 4 games with a one-time $15 sub...
    It's logical they want to revamp the membership offer.

I hope it ain't the case though, I like All Access. Used to throw in a month sometimes, and play DCUO and PS2 back and forth.
  • GreenSage39GreenSage39 Member UncommonPosts: 144
    edited March 2021
    The government is starting to go after landlords and property managers who have raised rent during covid-19 with the government's "Bad Landlord Listing."

It's kind of shameful we don't hold those same standards to the game companies during covid too.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Anything that keeps the game up and running. Charge anything you need to Daybreak so you don't have to shut the game down even if it's a P2W system targeting whales.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2021
    Torval said:
    Wasn't this one of the more profitable games in their lineup according to the last report? I can't remember and don't want to try and dig it up now.
    Yep, even though the numbers were a bit odd, probably due to the different allocating of All Access subscriptions.
    (I remember saying the same under the EG7 news piece too...)

The report showed DCUO with the highest MAU, but with the lowest members ratio (less than 10%), which was weird considering what I said above, that in DCUO the sub is almost required.
    At the same time they reported more than 80% of sub ratio in EQ, and above 70& in EQ2... interesting.
    (since All Access gives membership to all 4 games, it has a wide array of options where and how they've counted those)

Anyhow, by that presentation DCUO is indeed the flagship (38% of the overall bookings, $26.7m), maybe that's why they start the sub revamp there.

ed. most profitable though... would be EQ. The best bucks, even beats EQ2... people must love those progression servers.
    https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/02/everything-we-just-learned-about-daybreak-thanks-to-eg7/
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

BruceYee said:

Anything that keeps the game up and running.

Those that enjoy playing the game may well feel so. It plays differently enough that it would not be easily replaced if closed down.
    BruceYee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Torval said:

BruceYee said:

Anything that keeps the game up and running. Charge anything you need to Daybreak so you don't have to shut the game down even if it's a P2W system targeting whales.

Wasn't this one of the more profitable games in their lineup according to the last report? I can't remember and don't want to try and dig it up now.

According to the info they released. The spidey senses start tingling though when DC starts giving stuff away for free that cost money to make like Infinite Crisis that was shut down. There are a few different cooks in the DCUO kitchen(Daybreak, Sony, DC, WB/AT&T) IMO making it a weird situation. I see DCUO as a scenario where unless everyone gets what they deem enough one person backing out could sink the entire thing which is why I suggested even P2W monetization rather than shut down. The amount of replayable content this game has will make it a real loss if it ever goes away and would like for players to at least have the option to support it to keep it alive no matter how expensive it might be.