Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should sites give coverage to games like CoE and DreamWorld?

2»

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,742
    Nope. They don't have any place in a public forums. However it's not my site so... it's still news and gets clicks.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 23,016
    Mendel said:
    Quizzical said:
    Shaigh said:
    Press releases are not news, its more of someone's opinion, if you reprint said opinion you aren't impartial because now its under your name that opinion is posted.
    Sometimes press releases can be news.  This game is launching on this day with this business model.  That hardware is launching on that day with those specs.  And so forth.

Good PR people often write up press releases in the style of a news story.  The goal is to tempt lazy reporters to just post it as is rather than rewriting it.  If you've got something newsworthy to announce, a good press release can often be mostly factual with a fairly positive spin, but not such an overwhelming bias as to make reporters embarrassed to just post it without modification.

A *better* news story is "Game A launched this week" (past tense).  Who really believes "will launch" anymore?

What we are seeing is industry-wide mix of creative publicity and slipshod journalism, a dangerous combination at the best of times.
    There's an enormous difference between "game A hopes to launch in two years" and "game A will end its open beta, do a final server wipe, and officially launch in six days".  The latter is what I was referring to as news.
    UngoodtzervoMendel
  • AugustusGAugustusG Member UncommonPosts: 34
    edited March 22
    The question is more, what coverage since they are video games, video games sites are legit to report. Not mentioning it's basic UE assets on an other hand...
    tzervo
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member RarePosts: 741
    Rhoklaw said:
    MMORPG.com is free to review, advertise or write about anything they want. It is their site, just like we are free to comment on the articles, editorials and reviews to give our opinion.

MMORPG.com doesn't need to babysit us, well... most of us anyway. I'm also sure they are well aware that they'll catch a lot of flak for some stuff they do post. Such as CoE which is, for all better purposes, a huge scam.

MMORPG.com can't presume to know whether something is a scam or not. However, like so many of you pointed out, including myself, is that true journalism is dead, investigative journalism at least. For the most part, news sites such as this simply repeat everything they are told.

My instinct told me Dream World was a scam simply based off the KS goal and the main advertising video. So that is how I responded to the initial article when it posted here. I can't say for certain that I'm 100% correct, but my comment is an opinion, not fact. Some of you disagreed with my assessment and thus the debate unfolded. People having a discussion on the matter is what drives this site.

Should news sites have a moral compass? I would like to think so, but if they refuse to do investigative journalism, that doesn't make them the bad guy, just the lazy guy.
    Tom's Hardware is one of the best sites to read reviews on cpus/gpus/computers... I literally learned how to build my first computer(over a decade ago) from the site and their very knowledgeable forums (they were acquired, but the quality is still outstanding, just side bar advertisements).

My point... they don't just announce a new part... they follow up and do a rigorous review of it.  

So, if they(MMORPG.COM) just report XYZ announced a Kickstarter for an MMO... as if it was just a press release... ON THEIR SITE... sorry, this is wrong. 

Tom's Hardware, for their site members... they would do a full journalistic deep dive follow up.  

I have a feeling MMORPG.COM is on maintenance mode.  They couldn't put in the article "We reached out to the company for comment."

Maybe because they didn't, darn... this is really really sad.  Not a call, email?
    tzervoGdemami
  • TimukasTimukas Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Probably not. Maybe bad things disappear if not given any attention.
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 9,141
    lol they post stuff, and ya'll have 20 page discussions about what was posted and bitch about it, then complain about it's relevance in another thread for another 3 pages ...I think we figured out why they post these news items.. xD You guys are traffic.....
    tzervo
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,209
    I would hope the forum community would be scam filter on this site. I usually would go to the forum here of a game in question and ask others about it.

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 305
    So, I came across this video yesterday.  They won't specifically mention the game, but giving the timing and the wording of certain things, I would be surprised if this wasn't DreamWorld.  What do you guys think?

Gdemami
  • WargfootWargfoot Member RarePosts: 455
    So, I came across this video yesterday.  They won't specifically mention the game, but giving the timing and the wording of certain things, I would be surprised if this wasn't DreamWorld.  What do you guys think?

I not watching that video; however, I do wonder if the artist has ever actually seen a female human chest before.
    TwistedSister77Tiller
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member RarePosts: 741
    Wargfoot said:

I not watching that video; however, I do wonder if the artist has ever actually seen a female human chest before.
    Unleash those frontal wings for flight!
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,181
    Not to plug the competition but Massively IMHO is covering CoE the right way.  read the article AND the disclaimer below that clearly spells out the current CoE situation.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/03/29/chronicles-of-elyria-espouses-the-purposes-and-mechanics-of-the-fog-of-war-in-kingdoms-of-elyria/
    tzervo

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,844
    edited March 30
    Not to plug the competition but Massively IMHO is covering CoE the right way.  read the article AND the disclaimer below that clearly spells out the current CoE situation.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/03/29/chronicles-of-elyria-espouses-the-purposes-and-mechanics-of-the-fog-of-war-in-kingdoms-of-elyria/
    This is like the sticky saying "May be Hazardous To Your Gaming Health" that I made a joke about before. I think MMORPG.com is doing this, but they don't put the paragraph in its own box and their language is more tactful.

When it comes to Dreamworld, this deserves something that journalists everywhere (not just gaming ones) seem to have given up on. Investigation. Instead of just reporting what has been said checking wikipedia and doing the article; then looking for someone who wants to react to that, here that being us posters. They should ask for an interview, ask some probing questions before they publish.

How would I do that? Well I would not expect them to have done much we could see so far, here general intent on their part would be enough. But I would focus in on the timescale they think the game can be done in and their backgrounds in the gaming industry. That would be more than revealing enough.
    Post edited by Scot on
    GdemamiMendel

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,844
    Wargfoot said:

Hard to say if he has seen some boobs, but I doubt he has ever seen a "female human chest", I know I haven't. :)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 4,222
    Scot said:
    Wargfoot said:

Hard to say if he has seen some boobs, but I doubt he has ever seen a "female human chest", I know I haven't. :)
    That is only because boobs obscure the view. Damn boobs...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Scotcheyanetzervo
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer