Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final fantasy xiv free trail trailers :)

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
edited March 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Hehe

[Deleted User]

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Those ridiculous surfboard-sized weapons though!  :D  So cringeworthy.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    I tried 2-3 times to get to ff14 because Im a huge fan of the sp games but I couldnt do it it seemed to slow and boring for me
    Buschkatze
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    FF13 put me off the franchise forever.  I couldn't take the boredom for more than 15 minutes.
    Buschkatze
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Dibdabs said:
    FF13 put me off the franchise forever.  I couldn't take the boredom for more than 15 minutes.
    Tbh the last great ff was 10 it went downhill from then but there is always hope for revival
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Remali said:
    Dibdabs said:
    Tbh the last great ff was 10 it went downhill from then but there is always hope for revival
    I thought 10 was extremely overrated and 12 in the top 3 of Final Fantasy games ever made  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]BeansnBread
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I still occasionally get tempted to try out FFXIV. I enjoy the aesthetics of the game and the combat is more my sort of speed. Main reason I passed on the game when ARR came out was the vertical progression, a problem that hasn't gone away but also a problem with less significance in FFXIV due to jobs and the focus on dungeon grinding.

I also thought, at the time, that passing on FFXIV would mean just a short wait until the next AAA MMORPG came out. Lol, been waiting ever since! So, im much more willing to overlook some design flaws these days simply due to the lack of choice.

As to the rest of the FF series, it's been a very mixed experience for me. FF7 and FF9 are my favourites, they have basically the same gameplay mechanics and I love them, plus the worlds created are amazing. I haven't played 1-6, so no experience on how the series started.

But, I've really grown to hate the overwhelming focus on story. In FF7, 95% of my time was spent playing the game, with 5% being spent reading the story. In FF9, it was still maybe 90% gameplay, 10% story.

When I played FF10, well, it just sucked. 50% gameplay, 50% story. I was soooo bored! Such a waste of time reading / watching all those cutscenes and dialogue, all I wanted to do was play the game! The gameplay was at least still OK, which almost made the waste of time on story even more frustrating. Plus the linear world was frustrating.

FF13, probs 50/50 split again, just like 10, but the combat was awful and the characters more irritating. Just a really bad game, no idea how the hell they managed to get a sequel. Only thing that redeemed the game for me was some of the endgame stuff, plus Claudia Black voicing one of the characters.

FF15, I felt like SE were starting to move in the right direction. Proper open world again, much more time spent playing the game rather than just watching cutscenes. Combat was still shit, but better than 13. However, I really hated the main cast of characters, so I gave up after about 15 hours.
    Buschkatze
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I tried the game before on a free trial and it lasted about 15 minutes...I wouldn't even play it for free it was so bad. Talk about a game on rails, this one is the king.
    Buschkatze
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    The trial is extremely anti-social, stifled by a fear of rmt. Someone will send you a whisper asking if you want to join their FC but you can't even reply to tell them you are on a trial and aren't allowed to join FCs.

Mechanics wise, the trial will allow you to get all classes to 60 and with poetics, you can even max gear all classes and never miss a thing from market boards or feel any obligation to have Gil, let alone buy it from the feared RMT sites the trial wards off.

If you launch on a road to 70 boosted server, you can experience the 1-60 game in a matter of a month, even with limits placed by trial but it won't feel like an MMO because of the social restrictions.

The game is on rails. MSQ = Mandatory Story Quest but don't waste time pretending that is something SE had a choice in. 1.0 was full on sandbox and we know how that turned out. It has since evolved in to a story based online game and it is one of the best out there.

If you want sandbox, click one of the splash links all over this site. BDO is the better sandbox and has better combat but FF14 is also a good MMO and the trial will more than let you find that out with no financial obligation.
    Buschkatze
    I still occasionally get tempted to try out FFXIV. I enjoy the aesthetics of the game and the combat is more my sort of speed. Main reason I passed on the game when ARR came out was the vertical progression, a problem that hasn't gone away but also a problem with less significance in FFXIV due to jobs and the focus on dungeon grinding.

I also thought, at the time, that passing on FFXIV would mean just a short wait until the next AAA MMORPG came out. Lol, been waiting ever since! So, im much more willing to overlook some design flaws these days simply due to the lack of choice.

As to the rest of the FF series, it's been a very mixed experience for me. FF7 and FF9 are my favourites, they have basically the same gameplay mechanics and I love them, plus the worlds created are amazing. I haven't played 1-6, so no experience on how the series started.

But, I've really grown to hate the overwhelming focus on story. In FF7, 95% of my time was spent playing the game, with 5% being spent reading the story. In FF9, it was still maybe 90% gameplay, 10% story.

When I played FF10, well, it just sucked. 50% gameplay, 50% story. I was soooo bored! Such a waste of time reading / watching all those cutscenes and dialogue, all I wanted to do was play the game! The gameplay was at least still OK, which almost made the waste of time on story even more frustrating. Plus the linear world was frustrating.

FF13, probs 50/50 split again, just like 10, but the combat was awful and the characters more irritating. Just a really bad game, no idea how the hell they managed to get a sequel. Only thing that redeemed the game for me was some of the endgame stuff, plus Claudia Black voicing one of the characters.

FF15, I felt like SE were starting to move in the right direction. Proper open world again, much more time spent playing the game rather than just watching cutscenes. Combat was still shit, but better than 13. However, I really hated the main cast of characters, so I gave up after about 15 hours.
    FF 12 is missing from this list, did you play it? Because, judging by the preferences in your post, it will blow your mind.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    BeansnBread[Deleted User]

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

lahnmir said:

FF 12 is missing from this list, did you play it? Because, judging by the preferences in your post, it will blow your mind.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I haven't played 12.

Will it blow my mind in a good way or a bad way?

Out of FF7 - FF15, 12 is the only one I haven't played, I've considered it a few times but after the disappointments of 10 and 13, I just didn't feel inclined to play 12. Maybe I should revisit it though, I've been searching for an RPG for ages without much luck.
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I haven't played 12.

Out of FF7 - FF15, 12 is the only one I haven't played, I've considered it a few times but after the disappointments of 10 and 13, I just didn't feel inclined to play 12. Maybe I should revisit it though, I've been searching for an RPG for ages without much luck.
    In a good way. The battle system is out of this world and it has amazing setting, characters and quite a bit of story. All of it is in service of the gameplay though and the story also isn’t cheesy like 10 and 13, at all. Pick up the PC version, thank me later. Lots of exposition in the first few hours though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

cameltosis

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I tried the game before on a free trial and it lasted about 15 minutes...I wouldn't even play it for free it was so bad. Talk about a game on rails, this one is the king.
    Well, I believe if you get passed the “instanced” tutorial you would find its not as bad as you think. As the tutorial at the beginning is 30 minutes or so and confines you to an area till you complete it.

Sometimes first impressions are very important...They did not make a good first impression.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I haven't played 12.

I literally played through it 1 month ago. The main criticism I might make is that with the right gambits, it can play itself. If you've played a Dragon Age game, gambits are tactics. You get to program your characters AI that you aren't actively controlling. FFXII has a much more robust version of that.

The world, the characters and systems are amazing. I still sometimes think about the story a month after finishing it. It is, in my opinion at least, the most underrated Final Fantasy game.
    lahnmir
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    The king behemoth doesn't have a butt hole... Genuine complaint. Lol.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I haven't played 12.

I literally played through it 1 month ago. The main criticism I might make is that with the right gambits, it can play itself. If you've played a Dragon Age game, gambits are tactics. You get to program your characters AI that you aren't actively controlling. FFXII has a much more robust version of that.

The world, the characters and systems are amazing. I still sometimes think about the story a month after finishing it. It is, in my opinion at least, the most underrated Final Fantasy game.
    @cameltosis If you are on the fance about FF12, it has been recently added to the Xbox GamePass so you can try it for relatively cheap.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I haven't played 12.

@cameltosis If you are on the fance about FF12, it has been recently added to the Xbox GamePass so you can try it for relatively cheap.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Bought it last night :P

Only a couple of hours in so haven't seen much yet, but I like the world so far. Vaan is already irritating but there's always at least one irritating playable character so I can deal with it for now.

Looking forwards to getting further, getting more characters etc. The graphics definitely good for a remaster, im pretty impressed!

lahnmir
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited March 2021
    Well, I believe if you get passed the “instanced” tutorial you would find its not as bad as you think. As the tutorial at the beginning is 30 minutes or so and confines you to an area till you complete it.

That guy has been complaining about how he can't make it past the tutorial for over a year now lol. Took me 15 min. FFXIV is pretty standard MMORPG fare by today's standards...if you can get over the whole.... OMFG itz not sandbox...Most of us gave up that fight years ago.

The fact that he didn't make it past the tutorial tells me he has absolutely no idea what the game offers. I'll admit when I walked in I didn't know there was so much hidden content to unlock. I actually think he would be over whelmed, hence why its gated.

Post edited by Tiller on
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter