Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solasta Dungeon Maker Showcase

TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,161
The latest update from Solasta: Crown of the Magister brings the Dungeon Maker showcase. The Dungeon Maker is a map editor available to everyone who plays the game allowing us to create our own dungeon adventures to share with friends and others.

Even though it will be available at release, the Dungeon Maker is in a beta state and will be for quite some time afterwards. Tactical Adventures said they want to start simple and get the basic system out and work on it slowly as they take in feedback and iterate through versions. The team talks about the system a little more in the linked article.

Dungeon Maker Feature Set:
What are the current features of the Dungeon Maker?
  • Freely create dungeon layouts using a selection of preset rooms
  • Link multiple maps together to create larger dungeons
  • One environment available for now, the Necropolis, with its set of environmental props to decorate your dungeon
  • Almost all monsters and items from Solasta: Crown of the Magister main campaign to create your encounters and loot
  • A selection of traps (just a few for now) to punish greedy adventurers
  • Easy to share online, it's a simple .json file in a folder. We plan to add Steam Workshop later on so it becomes even easier to share.

This is pretty exciting to me because player made dungeons and adventures were one of my favorite features in Neverwinter Online before Cryptic removed it. Back in the day DOOM WADS were a blast to create and share. So, more modding and player creativity could add a lot to the base/official experience. It's D&D after all.
traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Slapshot1188blueturtle13AsheramIselincoretex666YashaXTokken

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,203
    edited March 3
    That’s what I have been looking for.  I’ll have to dig into how user friendly it is.   I assume it supports multiplayer?

edit after researching:

Man that looks sooooo good.  But it looks like it’s just single player?

Man what a tease if that’s the case.  It would have been everything I wanted if it were multiplayer...
    TorvalTokken

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,788
    Great news.
    If they build this out to craft adventures for our friends playing together it will be awesome. 
    I would also like to see something like Sword Coast Legends did by allowing people to run a scenario and another be the DM that would be divine. 
    Not to mention a basic scripting like NWN used. 
    overall a great addition to an already great game.  
    TorvalTokken

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

If they build this out to craft adventures for our friends playing together it will be awesome. 

If they added multiplayer I would toss money at them by the boatload.

blueturtle13TorvalTokken

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,161
    edited March 3
    Multiplayer probably won't happen for Solasta. "Will Solasta be multiplayer" is one of the top search suggestions so a lot of people must have asked the same question.

Tactical Adventures is a very small/indie team and this is their first game. This is what they had to say about multiplayer in their Steam forums as a response to that question.

We wouldn't be able to "add it" post-launch since the game's architecture is not thought for coop. That's why we're saying "maybe for a future game", as we'd rebuild a different fondation with multiplayer in mind^^  --Myzzrym
    Will you add Multiplayer? We perfectly understand people wanting to play with their friends, and we also think that it would be a great thing if we could do that. However, when making a game you also have to make rational decisions based on your team and your budget.

What I'm saying is, it's not like we're AGAINST multiplayer. We thought about it, discussed and scoped the feature, and concluded that based on our current plans we simply can't risk it for our first game. This is not to say it's impossible for future games!  --Mech_le_berserk
    So, they're not opposed to it and I think it would be a feature they would loved to have included, but they didn't design the game around that.

One thing about this project I've noticed as I've been following it is they've stuck close to the vision of their kickstarter project. This game was crowd-funded and anything additional they've added has been something they considered as a design option from the get go. They haven't allowed feature or time creep to take hold of the project. It's one of the few crowd-funded games I've followed that has kept a realistic release timeline always at the forefront of any considered change or feature. While there have been a couple delays and setbacks, it hasn't been due to feature creep or dragging their feet in "infinite alpha" like some projects. I have a lot of respect for that.

Man, the formatting of these forums is a pain in the ass. I had to really fight to get this post to format in a sane fashion.

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,788
    Torval said:
    Multiplayer probably won't happen for Solasta. "Will Solasta be multiplayer" is one of the top search suggestions so a lot of people must have asked the same question.

Tactical Adventures is a very small/indie team and this is their first game. This is what they had to say about multiplayer in their Steam forums as a response to that question.

We wouldn't be able to "add it" post-launch since the game's architecture is not thought for coop. That's why we're saying "maybe for a future game", as we'd rebuild a different fondation with multiplayer in mind^^  --Myzzrym
    Will you add Multiplayer? We perfectly understand people wanting to play with their friends, and we also think that it would be a great thing if we could do that. However, when making a game you also have to make rational decisions based on your team and your budget.

What I'm saying is, it's not like we're AGAINST multiplayer. We thought about it, discussed and scoped the feature, and concluded that based on our current plans we simply can't risk it for our first game. This is not to say it's impossible for future games!  --Mech_le_berserk
    So, they're not opposed to it and I think it would be a feature they would loved to have included, but they didn't design the game around that.

One thing about this project I've noticed as I've been following it is they've stuck close to the vision of their kickstarter project. This game was crowd-funded and anything additional they've added has been something they considered as a design option from the get go. They haven't allowed feature or time creep to take hold of the project. It's one of the few crowd-funded games I've followed that has kept a realistic release timeline always at the forefront of any considered change or feature. While there have been a couple delays and setbacks, it hasn't been due to feature creep or dragging their feet in "infinite alpha" like some projects. I have a lot of respect for that.

Man, the formatting of these forums is a pain in the ass. I had to really fight to get this post to format in a sane fashion.
    Well even at this stage it is special project. They really nailed a couple of things that they needed to:
    Verticality
    lighting
    combat

I love the game already and have only played it 3.5 hours or so as I want them to build it out getting closer to 1.0 release and then play it complete so to speak.
    Great work and the dungeon builder will be a ton of fun to play with!   

Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 15,426

I love the game already and have only played it 3.5 hours or so ... 

Same. I have played it very little but I really like what I've seen and where it's going.
    blueturtle13TorvalTokken
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    Torval said:

Totally understand why they didn't put it in.  What they produced looks fantastic.  Just for me it would be my ultimate dream game if it let me build those dungeons and run a group of friends through them.

Torval

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,797
    Few problems,having been through Ark/Atlas i have been spoiled with FULL customization of the server  to most ALL stats.
    Simply rearranging rooms is no different than Neverwinter which became very boring very quickly.

I want to manipulate creature stats,gear/armor stats,world stats etc etc,otherwise it's just Neverwinter but not even that.

When i see good ideas in games no matter implemented well or not,i EXPECT to see at least that and BETTER over time,i am not going backwards in gaming.

The other part that is or should be a concern to anyone is that taking this slow AFTER release is TOO LATE,players will become bored long before it ever reaches it's full potential.Yes i know of this game called MInecraft and took MANY years to get anywhere but that is just pure LUCK and being FIRST so it becomes a bit of an iconic game even if sub par.My point being nobody else is going to get away with taking 5+ years to get the added implementation the idea needs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 620
    Game is pretty good and updated regurarly 
    Should be getting close to launch now with the cap pushed to 8 as the end is lvl 10 iirc
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,464
    edited March 12
    I wanted to buy this game but I read it might be a little like Mordheim City of the Damned where a bad RNG on a map can really screw up everything. Is there a save system because Mordheim lacked that making it a big risk that your best heroes can be killed after you spent many hours perfecting them because the enemies got great RNG and your guys are ripped apart by the great rolls the enemies get. In that game the damage is permanent too meaning if they lose a leg it stays lost.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,589
    kitarad said:
    I wanted to buy this game but I read it might be a little like Mordheim City of the Damned where a bad RNG on a map can really screw up everything. Is there a save system because Mordheim lacked that making it a big risk that your best heroes can be killed after you spent many hours perfecting them because the enemies got great RNG and your guys are ripped apart by the great rolls the enemies get. In that game the damage is permanent too meaning if they lose a leg it stays lost.

There is a save system.
    kitaradTorvalblueturtle13
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 409
    There is a save system!  It is a really good game.  There won't be multi-player unfortunately and the lack of combat feats like some good dual wield feats hurt but still a great romp.

I have been following it for a long time and kickstarted it the minute the kickstarter became available https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/483526/solasta-kickstarter-started#latest
    kitaradTorval
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,161
    Sovrath said:
    kitarad said:

There is a save system.

The game play options are also highly configurable. Here is one of the posts about game configuration related to difficulty settings.

blueturtle13