Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New 60-players Hunger Dome

francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
edited March 2021 in Crowfall

An upcoming mode in Crowfall that allows 60 players to fight each others in a "Hunger Dome" style match. Todd describes it as a super condensed version of Crowfall on steroids and says it's really fun. It's a mix between a MMO, a MOBA and a Battle Royale (MMOBA).

Characteristics:
  • 12 teams of 5 players
  • teams start at the edge of the map
  • ring that shrinks over time
  • players can capture keeps, forts or castles
  • players can die from the Hunger, monsters or players
  • players can respawn if they own a structure
  • team is eliminated when the last player dies
  • players gain "ELO"
  • players arrive on the map "naked", have to gear up
  • up to 30 minutes per match
  • restrictions on archetypes (not more than 2 tanks or supports per team)
  • characters are clone version of players' characters, or available archetypes

More information: twitch.tv/videos/934257459?t=00h57m16s
Post edited by francis_baud on
Ungood

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Bad idea...
    They need to focus on making the main game as enjoyable as possible instead of adding some MOBA wannabe mode.
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User][Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited March 2021
    I think the plan is to have it be part of the main game at launch, so players who want to jump right into some PvP action can do that without searching for hours for a fight (when it's not siege time, for example).

Also back in the days the Hunger Dome was pretty popular and I'm sure players will be happy to have this mode integrated in the game.

CF is all about campaigns of different length of time, so that mode could be considered a mini 30-minutes campaign.

Those interested in more deep character advancement and systems will pick longer campaigns.
    Post edited by francis_baud on
    I think the plan is to have it be part of the main game at launch, so players who want to jump right into some PvP action can do that without searching for hours for a fight (when it's not siege time, for example).

Also back in the days the Hunger Dome was pretty popular and I'm sure players will be happy to have this mode integrated in the game.

CF is all about campaigns of different length of time, so that mode could be considered a mini 30-minutes campaign.

Those interested in more deep character advancement and systems will pick longer campaigns.
    I was there for the Hunger Games.

I stand by what I said.  They should focus on making the main game better and more satisfying.  If a significant percentage of the players prefer this then the game (the main game) might as well be DOA.

BruceYee[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited March 2021

I stand by what I said.  They should focus on making the main game better and more satisfying.  If a significant percentage of the players prefer this then the game (the main game) might as well be DOA.

Yea I agree that they should focus on the main game. And afaik that's what they're doing. They probably needed a little bit of work on the matchmaking system (they had already developed one for HD/Siege Perilous), the new lobby UI and the map (which shouldn't take too long since they already have top-notch map generation tools). So this mode likely haven't required extensive development.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Is it an MMORPG? Is it E-sports? What is Crowfall supposed to be exactly?

Confused...
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

Confused...
    Thus my point above
    [Deleted User]Iselin

Yea I agree that they should focus on the main game. And afaik that's what they're doing. They probably needed a little bit of work on the matchmaking system (they had already developed one for HD/Siege Perilous), the new lobby UI and the map (which shouldn't take too long since they already have top-notch map generation tools). So this mode likely haven't required extensive development.
    Its not just about resources.  It's also about staying on target and giving consistent messaging.  CF already suffered from people not really understanding it's concept as compared to a normal MMORPG.  Now they want to go add an official BattleRoyale/MOBA portion.    That's something they can add next year after the game is out.  We are still missing ACTUAL game modes that were promised.  We have an Eternal Kingdom that still seems to serve no purpose.  As far as I know they have been selling VIP all this time and they still haven't announced what it gives...

They need to just focus on what was promised and make THAT good enough to hold people's attention.   
    BruceYee

edited March 2021
    Iselin said:

Confused...
    A PvP MMO with many strategy elements (time-limited campaigns, city building, territory conquest, sieges, caravans, etc.).

What they have just announced is an arena/battleground for 60 players, which is part of the main game. It's not an unusual concept for a MMORPG, except in Crowfall it resembles more to a BR than to a standard battleground.
    edited March 2021

Its not just about resources.  It's also about staying on target and giving consistent messaging.  CF already suffered from people not really understanding it's concept as compared to a normal MMORPG.  Now they want to go add an official BattleRoyale/MOBA portion.    That's something they can add next year after the game is out.  We are still missing ACTUAL game modes that were promised.  We have an Eternal Kingdom that still seems to serve no purpose.  As far as I know they have been selling VIP all this time and they still haven't announced what it gives...

They need to just focus on what was promised and make THAT good enough to hold people's attention.   
    I agree with you on certain points you make (misunderstanding of what CF is about, focusing on the main game). However I think it may be the right moment to implement this because it may attract more players to the game, before it launches.

And yea, things like improving the EK or free city building in the campaigns are features I believe they should put effort on.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2021
    Suppose to be a rpg and not some playground for someone who watches too much TV.
    They just can't make money on  their terrible game ideas so they couldn't resist trying the BR idea.
    I doubt they put ANY effort at all into the game's Lore as to WHY this exists,just a fast lazy idea in hopes of stirring up interest.My thought is they are licking rheir chops hoping it is a success so they can start working on BR cosmetics to sell in cash shop.

"What is it supposed to be?"I mentioned this i think in one of my very first psots on this game,it has terrible direction,often makes NO sense ,tries to be a rpg but has almost NO immersion.
    Besides even the possible good idea "castle "building is LIMITED,VERY limited unlike what i can do in a survival game.So they are just swnging ideas left and right and not putting the full effort into anything or giving the game a core identity.

They might as well add a moba to it and an arpg and a Chess game somewhere in there while they are at it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

I suggest watching the entire Q&A, if you haven't already. They gave a roadmap for the short-term, mid-term and long-term future of CF. Only the short-term stuff is scheduled for launch, but it gives a pretty clear picture of where the game is headed.
    francis_baud
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2021
    Sooooo they are making a instanced one zone CU Ragnarok hoping it will become the main attraction cause Unity can't handle large scale OWPVP battles like they hoped or they don't want to keep making new worlds like they promised? Will we be seeing outrage for this move or do they get a pass cause it's not MJ and CF guys talk sweeter? Doesn't this fall under the same rule of 'not what the players asked for'?

"Players arrive naked and have to gear up" means it's a fking Moba Royale. Name one MMO battleground where you have to "gear up" after you get inside.

"Ring that shrinks over time" umm, hello? it's a Battle Royale

Would this move by any chance be related to that extra private investment they received a while back?
    [Deleted User]
    Arkade99 said:

I suggest watching the entire Q&A, if you haven't already. They gave a roadmap for the short-term, mid-term and long-term future of CF. Only the short-term stuff is scheduled for launch, but it gives a pretty clear picture of where the game is headed.
    Here are the slides that Tinnis posted on the forums:

TwistedSister77
    Wizardry said:
    Suppose to be a rpg and not some playground for someone who watches too much TV.
    They just can't make money on  their terrible game ideas so they couldn't resist trying the BR idea.
    I doubt they put ANY effort at all into the game's Lore as to WHY this exists,just a fast lazy idea in hopes of stirring up interest.My thought is they are licking rheir chops hoping it is a success so they can start working on BR cosmetics to sell in cash shop.

"What is it supposed to be?"I mentioned this i think in one of my very first psots on this game,it has terrible direction,often makes NO sense ,tries to be a rpg but has almost NO immersion.
    Besides even the possible good idea "castle "building is LIMITED,VERY limited unlike what i can do in a survival game.So they are just swnging ideas left and right and not putting the full effort into anything or giving the game a core identity.

They might as well add a moba to it and an arpg and a Chess game somewhere in there while they are at it.
    It's the same lore than in Crowfall... 12 Gods fighting each others via the Eternal Champions (the players), and the Hunger, a dark force that originates from the center of the Universe slowly consuming and corrupting all living things. There's more of course but that's the basics.

The game ideas are great imo, not many MMORPGs include so many strategy elements (as I've said earlier, time-limited campaigns, city building, sieges, caravans...) and the game is innovative (reaching PvP "end-game" in a matter of hours, different world rule sets, dynamic worlds that can be conquered by the players and impacted by seasons, etc.).

The Hunger Dome is something they've already made available to players, back in 2016. It's not something new, they're just revisiting the concept and making it bigger (larger map, more players, polished gameplay, etc.).

The game has its core identity, there's nothing resembling CF on the market.

BruceYee said:
    Sooooo they are making a instanced one zone CU Ragnarok hoping it will become the main attraction cause Unity can't handle large scale OWPVP battles like they hoped or they don't want to keep making new worlds like they promised? Will we be seeing outrage for this move or do they get a pass cause it's not MJ and CF guys talk sweeter? Doesn't this fall under the same rule of 'not what the players asked for'?

"Players arrive naked and have to gear up" means it's a fking Moba Royale. Name one MMO battleground where you have to "gear up" after you get inside.

"Ring that shrinks over time" umm, hello? it's a Battle Royale

Would this move by any chance be related to that extra private investment they received a while back?
    The developers themselves say that this mode is a mix between a MMO, a MOBA and a BR. It's nothing new, that's what the Hunger Dome was about. Nobody was scandalized by it afaik, it was a pretty fun mode and many players wished that this arena would return (e.g. https://community.crowfall.com/topic/25447-bring-back-hunger-dome/).

It doesn't have to be the main attraction, it's a PvP mode that players can jump in for quick PvP action (about 30 minutes), especially when there's no sieges going.
    TwistedSister77
    ed a while back?
    The developers themselves say that this mode is a mix between a MMO, a MOBA and a BR. It's nothing new, that's what the Hunger Dome was about. Nobody was scandalized by it afaik, it was a pretty fun mode and many players wished that this arena would return (e.g. https://community.crowfall.com/topic/25447-bring-back-hunger-dome/).

"Many players"... that thread has 8 people.

Also, when I go on to the forums today to see what the community response is... I see one thread (where these screens are from) with about 7 people and I think the most positive response (of the whole 7...) was general apathy.  Or am I missing this great upswell of support as it's in another thread?

edited March 2021
    ed a while back?

Also, when I go on to the forums today to see what the community response is... I see one thread (where these screens are from) with about 7 people and I think the most positive response (of the whole 7...) was general apathy.  Or am I missing this great upswell of support as it's in another thread?

Have you watched the live stream I've linked? There you can see how the 300+ viewers reacted to the news. twitch.tv/videos/934257459?t=00h57m16s

Here are some comments (cherry picked):
    "Crowgazm"
    "FInally some small scale arena will be awesome!"
    "Can we have a pro league. How much for a franchise?"
    "nice!!"
    "F*CK YESSSSSSSS"
    "oh hell yeah"
    "Nice"
    "wow"
    "LETS GO"
    "Oh yes."
    "5 VGS let's gooo"
    "that sounds cool as shit"
    "finally something else than the zerg aoe shit haha"
    "we need hellgate style"
    "this is the best news I've heard in 2021 yet"
    "a huge free for all 5vX is a waaay better match for Crowfall! nice"
    "LETS GO"
    "how do u register a team for this"
    "Hunger Dome 5.0"
    "YES"
    "Hot"
    "This is sick!!!!"
    "where we droppin bois"
    "Hunger dome!!!!"
    "WHERE WE DROPPIN LETS GO"
    "nice!"
    "I like this but those forts/keeps are pretty close together"
    "WHERE WE DROPPIN BOIS!!!!???"
    "Yooooooo"
    "make sense thematic"
    "The boys are going hard"
    "
    CoolCatCoolCatCoolCatCorgiDerpCorgiDerpMau5"
    "EPICO"
    "drop it RHEA"
    "drop it"
    "less GO!"
    "GIVE ME"
    "another Crowgazm is coming..."
    "Lets go"
    "drop it all"
    "WE DROPPIN FORT SAM!"
    "lets go!"
    "its time... for us to shine"
    "nice"
    "wOw"
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Iselin said:

Confused...
    Crowfall is a Realms Vs Realms game.

You have 4 maps, where you have 3 factions that all fight for supremacy and control, with a time limit to accomplish it, as time moves on, the maps become infected by something called the Hunger, which warps NPC, Landscape, and the like, forcing player of opposing sides into collision and thus promoting fights and violence.

Which brings a real sense of Irony from the objection by some of the posters on this topic, as the Main game is really just a larger longer version of the Thunder Dome setting.

So I for one, endorse this tight setting, which can allow them to test settings and the like better and faster.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

ed a while back?

Have you watched the live stream I've linked? There you can see how the 300+ viewers reacted to the news. twitch.tv/videos/934257459?t=00h57m16s

"Crowgazm"
    "nice!!"
    "F*CK YESSSSSSSS"
    "oh hell yeah"
    "Nice"
    "wow"
    "LETS GO"
    "Oh yes."
    "5 VGS let's gooo"
    "we need hellgate style"
    "LETS GO"
    "Hunger Dome 5.0"
    "YES"
    "Hot"
    "This is sick!!!!"
    "where we droppin bois"
    "Hunger dome!!!!"
    "nice!"
    "Yooooooo"
    "make sense thematic"
    "
    "EPICO"
    "drop it RHEA"
    "drop it"
    "less GO!"
    "GIVE ME"
    "Lets go"
    "drop it all"
    "WE DROPPIN FORT SAM!"
    "lets go!"
    "nice"
    "wOw"
    Again.. it’s an MMORPG.  Basing anything off 300 people watching a steam in the middle of the day is not what I would all a solid strategy.  But let’s suppose it is, and suddenly Crowfall Hungerdome becomes the next Fortnite.   You know what happened to Save the World?  That was the original game Fortnite was supposed to be...

Fortnite Battle Royale made billions for the company, but those that actually bought the base game... were left out to dry and are still waiting for the promised resources to finish Save the World.

We have seen this 3 times in the past that I recall.  Fortnite, Ashes of Creation and Camelot Unchained.  Fortnite was great for the company but destroyed the original vision/game, Ashes Apocalypse was a flop that they are retooling, and well.. we know how Ragnarock was received by the CU base.

So as someone that bought into the original version of Crowfall it’s a lose lose proposition.  Either the company is wasting time, and money making this, and also adding even more confusion in the market around what exactly Crowfall is.... or it succeeds and becomes the dominant play mode and the RPG just gets left on the side.  
    [Deleted User]

edited March 2021
    ed a while back?

"Crowgazm"
    "nice!!"
    "F*CK YESSSSSSSS"
    "oh hell yeah"
    "Nice"
    "wow"
    "LETS GO"
    "Oh yes."
    "5 VGS let's gooo"
    "we need hellgate style"
    "LETS GO"
    "Hunger Dome 5.0"
    "YES"
    "Hot"
    "This is sick!!!!"
    "where we droppin bois"
    "Hunger dome!!!!"
    "nice!"
    "Yooooooo"
    "make sense thematic"
    "
    "EPICO"
    "drop it RHEA"
    "drop it"
    "less GO!"
    "GIVE ME"
    "Lets go"
    "drop it all"
    "WE DROPPIN FORT SAM!"
    "lets go!"
    "nice"
    "wOw"
    Again.. it’s an MMORPG.  Basing anything off 300 people watching a steam in the middle of the day is not what I would all a solid strategy.  But let’s suppose it is, and suddenly Crowfall Hungerdome becomes the next Fortnite.   You know what happened to Save the World?  That was the original game Fortnite was supposed to be...

Fortnite Battle Royale made billions for the company, but those that actually bought the base game... were left out to dry and are still waiting for the promised resources to finish Save the World.

We have seen this 3 times in the past that I recall.  Fortnite, Ashes of Creation and Camelot Unchained.  Fortnite was great for the company but destroyed the original vision/game, Ashes Apocalypse was a flop that they are retooling, and well.. we know how Ragnarock was received by the CU base.

So as someone that bought into the original version of Crowfall it’s a lose lose proposition.  Either the company is wasting time, and money making this, and also adding even more confusion in the market around what exactly Crowfall is.... or it succeeds and becomes the dominant play mode and the RPG just gets left on the side.  
    I think the goal is not to become a "Fortnite" success or anything comparable. If I'm correct the studio's aim is to drive new people into the game, and eventually they would get interested by the main game (Eternal Kingdoms, RvR, campaigns...).

Save the World did not get abandoned though, and got continued attention by the studio, but I understand how the success of the battle royale did slow the development of the original game StW. So we must be careful here that if HD gets popular, that ACE still focuses their attention on main game.

In Fortnite, Ashes of Creation and Camelot Unchained, the new game is completely separated from the main game (Battle Royale, Apocalypse and Final Stand: Ragnarok). They are standalone games and can be played without loading the main game (different download, different title, different stories). In Crowfall, it's just a mode that they add to the main game: same download, same title, same story, and it's incorporated in the main game. It's a mode rather than a game. So we can't really compare those 3 to CF imo.

As I've said earlier, the company isn't wasting much time and money making this. All they had to create (from what I'm understanding) is:
    • improved matchmaking system (already existent from previous HD/SP modes)
    • lobby UI
    • specialized map for 12 factions battleground (already have the map generation tools, what is left is probably placing the forts, keeps and castles)
    But we will see, maybe they've put more resources on creating the map than I believe.

If the Hunger Dome becomes popular, the hope I believe is that it will bring players in the Crowfall universe and at that point they might be interested in playing in the Campaigns or the EK. The conversion between a 30-minutes PvP mode and a few days long campaign probably isn't difficult. (as opposed to the conversion in Fortnite BR vs. StV, or FS:R vs. CU).

ed a while back?

"Crowgazm"
    "nice!!"
    "F*CK YESSSSSSSS"
    "oh hell yeah"
    "Nice"
    "wow"
    "LETS GO"
    "Oh yes."
    "5 VGS let's gooo"
    "we need hellgate style"
    "LETS GO"
    "Hunger Dome 5.0"
    "YES"
    "Hot"
    "This is sick!!!!"
    "where we droppin bois"
    "Hunger dome!!!!"
    "nice!"
    "Yooooooo"
    "make sense thematic"
    "
    "EPICO"
    "drop it RHEA"
    "drop it"
    "less GO!"
    "GIVE ME"
    "Lets go"
    "drop it all"
    "WE DROPPIN FORT SAM!"
    "lets go!"
    "nice"
    "wOw"

I think the goal is not to become a "Fortnite" success or anything comparable. If I'm correct the studio's aim is to drive new people into the game, and eventually they would get interested by the main game (Eternal Kingdoms, RvR, campaigns...).

Save the World did not get abandoned though, and got continued attention by the studio, but I understand how the success of the battle royale did slow the development of the original game StW. So we must be careful here that if HD gets popular, that ACE still focuses their attention on main game.

In Fortnite, Ashes of Creation and Camelot Unchained, the new game is completely separated from the main game (Battle Royale, Apocalypse and Final Stand: Ragnarok). They are standalone games and can be played without loading the main game (different download, different title, different stories). In Crowfall, it's just a mode that they add to the main game: same download, same title, same story, and it's incorporated in the main game. It's a mode rather than a game. So we can't really compare those 3 to CF imo.

As I've said earlier, the company isn't wasting much time and money making this. All they had to create (from what I'm understanding) is:
    • improved matchmaking system (already existent from previous HD/SP modes)
    • lobby UI
    • specialized map for 12 factions battleground (already have the map generation tools, what is left is probably placing the forts, keeps and castles)
    But we will see, maybe they've put more resources on creating the map than I believe.

If the Hunger Dome becomes popular, the hope I believe is that it will bring players in the Crowfall universe and at that point they might be interested in playing in the Campaigns or the EK. The conversion between a 30-minutes PvP mode and a few days long campaign probably isn't difficult. (as opposed to the conversion in Fortnite BR vs. StV, or FS:R vs. CU).

You have a different opinion.  I cannot prove it wrong other than to point at the 3 instances where this has happened in the past and show that in each it was bad for the original players.

I stand by my contention that if the existing game concept is not compelling enough to "bring players to the Crowfall Universe" then they should work on making that core game compelling and not on adding MOBA/Battle Royale modes.

francis_baud

edited March 2021
    I agree with what you just wrote.

One thing however is that the fun in Crowfall is pretty much the PvP (and crafting/building to some extent). And they have some troubles to retain the players from point "A" (the beginning of God's Reach tutorial) to the point "D" (the PvP in the campaigns), even though it amounts to about 2-3 hours. So there is surely a problem with the "introduction-leveling-PvP" approach and not many of the CB players actually made it through the leveling to the PvP afaik.

So with this solution, the Hunger Dome, I believe they want to make players try the PvP way earlier in their progression, jumping right into the fun at the beginning rather than risking to make them go through a tutorial with a lot less retention power.

They could do that directly in the campaigns, but there aren't always PvP going in those, and they have to actually join a guild to participate.

My hope is that the new players trying the PvP will love it, and will be interested to go "deeper" in the world bands to try a full-fledged campaign or the EK.

That's how I see things and I understand our opinions may be different about this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited March 2021
    If it was already basically built in 2016 and they are just enhancing it... I can see it as fun gameplay for guilds (teams of 5) and players.  Also a good way to scout for players you may want to recruit.

As someone showed already, it was on the short term road map.  So I don't feel it is a bait and switch from the core game.

I love battlegrounds (12 v 12 ) matches in warhammer Reckoning... when I want a break from RvR or there is a lull in the action.

60 man might take a long time for it to pop, if the population dwindles or people don't like the mode.  Then of course there is the issue of multiple teams colluding.
    francis_baudYashaX
    If it was already basically built in 2016 and they are just enhancing it... I can see it as fun gameplay for guilds (teams of 5) and players.  Also a good way to scout for players you may want to recruit.

As someone showed already, it was on the short term road map.  So I don't feel it is a bait and switch from the core game.

I love battlegrounds (12 v 12 ) matches in warhammer Reckoning... when I want a break from RvR or there is a lull in the action.
    The short term roadmap you are referencing was literally released with this announcement I believe.  
    TwistedSister77