Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOSide Chat: Do You Ever Have A Hard Time Getting Into An MMO Everyone Seemingly Loves? | MMORPG.co

Comments

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    I've been playing FF14 for a couple months and it scratches the itch a little. But it's nothing special in terms of uniqueness. It works great for me because it's practically a single player experience until end game. But since I'm currently only able to jump on at odd times and can't schedule my gaming time, it works for me.

But it's very basic in that it's got all the hallmark core MMO features. But that's it. It's kind of like getting a nice brand new 1992 Honda Accord. It's very nice looking and pristine. But even though it's technically brand new it's old with no bells and whistles. The core design can't be changed and you still realize it's a 1992 honda accord. So while it's pretty and does perfectly what it's suppose to, it's still lagging behind anything making it unique. That's what Ffxiv is. No matter what they do, the game will just feel like an older MMO and nothing to give you butterflies. It does right what it has, but it offers little in the way of being unique.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Guild Wars 2, and BDO for me. I just can't do it no matter how many times I try I can't stay longer than a few days in those games at a time.

I think I have an issue with the eastern style of MMO and that whole aesthetic/Art Style. Not my thing.

I know people love those games and I've kind of had FOMO about it because I just dont see it. 
    Ungood
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    BDO and FF14, for me.   

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    The question assumes that I am motivated to play MMORPGs because of their popularity.
    Pretty much this.  (and what Gorwe + Nebless said too)

Having a "hard time" indicates a motivation and an interest, which I believe never really was the case for me.
    I either like a game, or I don't. If I don't like it, I ain't playing it, simple as that. If some of those are among the so-called "popular" ones, so what? Popular just means the bar of lowest common denominator is low enough :)

But don't mind me... as Eyeore said in an earlier thread my MMORPG opinion is worthless because I don't play the "big, successful" games.
    Which oddly has some truth in it, I usually find the niche, smaller population games more fun.
  • UntamedgunnerUntamedgunner Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I feel your pain. FFRR14 I myself could not get into it either, it has all of what I love in a true theme park mmorpg. Do I love FF lore, yes do I love the mmo grind, yes. I can not put my finger on it FFRR should be my crack fix of an mmo.It is no doubt an amazing mmorpg and deserves all the love, yet I can not give it the love it needs. Like they say with World Of Warcraft as soon as I get out they drag me back in!
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    There was only 2 MMO that i truly called the best MMO in my life, Ragnarok Online and Vanguard:SOH

Tried WoW, GW2, FFXIV, ESO, BDO, i quit after 1 month, just can't get that feel i got with Vanguard and RO..

So What Now?

• JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    ESO. :( I really, really tried, but it's just not for me.
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
  • PhaineinPhainein Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited February 2021
    Great Google this is exactly FF14 for me. I have so many friends who play it. I've tried so hard to get into this game and even have like a level 60 character but I keep dropping off it. Everyone says the story is so good but I can't really get far enough to know because the ***C O M B A T*** destroys it for me. It's so dang boring. And the UI is miles better than FF11 but dang it's still so clunky and overwhelming and targetting is still the worst of any tab target game to date.

I play classes with plenty of buttons to push but this "push a lot of buttons" and "memorize tons of mechanics" BS is so overdone in 2021. Combat should feel exciting and absorbing not a frustrated choreography you have to memorize.

Of SQE puts out an action combat version (FF14-Advanced anyone?) I will throw money at them. Until then they get a month's subscription like once every 8 months as the things I hate about the game dim from memory and reup because of the things I like.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    edited February 2021
    Two of the biggest current MMOs I despised.....FFXIV and ESO....GW2 was not good either....The games now just feel like they are trying to hard to entertain with cutscenes and voice acting....ESO I think was close to 100 gigs last time I checked...It's about 10 gigs of game and 90 gigs of entertainment I could care less about......FFXIV held my hand so bad I felt like I was 5 years old....YOu can't go there!...No the quest isn't that way we won't let you go there!....I like a virtual world to explore, not a preloaded questfest with a scripted story that I just go through the motions on.
  • GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Tamorand said:

Grym said:

The only MMO I play is in perma-alpha phase and I'm seriously casual there.

Star Citizen?

Yup.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    I know it isn't an mmo, but Path of Exile. I have tried so many times. I really enjoyed Diablo 3 gameplay wise but it was shallow as far as skills and endgame. Path of Exile has everything I would be looking for in that type of game, only actually playing it isn't fun to me. I enjoy reading about it and get excited to play it about once a year but that anticipation fades when I actually start playing it.
  • MonsutaManMonsutaMan Member UncommonPosts: 49
    It is FFXIV and ESO for me.

ESO just doesn't capture what brought me into ES series in the 1st place; immersive world.

As for FFXIV, I keep thinking about XI while playing XIV....So I go back to XI while my XIV sub is still active wasting $14 and about 25 days of sub play-time.....

I just don't get the XIV craze. It is a solid mmo, but take away the FF IP, it is Guild Wars 2 with elves.

I do like me some Blue Mage though.
    Theocritus[Deleted User]
  • ManicKnightManicKnight Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Man I feel this so much. I've been playing WoW since MoP and I've been hooked by the world, characters and lore. However, I'm really starting to hate the gameplay and staleness of ideas from that game. I've been wanting to jump ship to FFXIV but I've only got to the end of a Realm Reborn after Shiva. The world just hasn't hooked nor have the characters. I don't really like the playable races either. Which sucks because there seems to be so much more to do in FFXIV than there is in WoW.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Man I feel this so much. I've been playing WoW since MoP and I've been hooked by the world, characters and lore. However, I'm really starting to hate the gameplay and staleness of ideas from that game. I've been wanting to jump ship to FFXIV but I've only got to the end of a Realm Reborn after Shiva. The world just hasn't hooked nor have the characters. I don't really like the playable races either. Which sucks because there seems to be so much more to do in FFXIV than there is in WoW.
    Welcome to the forums! :)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    That's an impressive first post @ManicKnight! You sound like a twenty year MMO vet!
  • KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173
    FFXIV for sure. I was into it, heavily for quite a while, and probably still would be had I wanted to continue playing Scholar (or any other advanced job you can get before hitting the expansion content). However, since I wanted to play AST, and didn't want to buy a level boost, I got extremely burnt out grinding dungeons/POTD (and please don't tell me "you can do FATEs, Sidequests, etc.,).

I tried. I really did. Multiple times. I actually LOVE the MSQ and desperately WANT to get back to it on the class I want to play. I really really though NG+ mode was going to be my answer, as being able to level by going back through the main story sounded AMAZING. Then they decided that NG+ would give no exp, essentially making it pointless since we already had the cutscene viewer. Until and unless they give me a more interesting way (or AT LEAST enough sidequests if nothing else) to level my alt jobs than grinding dungeons for days, I'm good.
  • xdave78xdave78 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Ya, FFXIV...tried 2 times, it sucked two times. I really have not a single idea, why so many people play it. It looks old, gameplay fells old and the HUD...idk...its really not my taste.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I've never actually had that problem except for games with open world PvP. But then I tell myself I won't enjoy this anyway and it is self defeating in that way because I go in with that mind set. That is sadly my own foolishness and I end up leaving the very first time someone kills me. Which does happen of course and I then reaffirm my dislike for those games which is circular logic and complete bullshit.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    That's an impressive first post @ManicKnight! You sound like a twenty year MMO vet!
    Naw, not nearly bitter or jaded enough yet.
    cheyaneScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2021
    kitarad said:
    I've never actually had that problem except for games with open world PvP. But then I tell myself I won't enjoy this anyway and it is self defeating in that way because I go in with that mind set. That is sadly my own foolishness and I end up leaving the very first time someone kills me. Which does happen of course and I then reaffirm my dislike for those games which is circular logic and complete bullshit.
    The question is, do you ever die to NPCs and if so, what makes dying to another player so much more hateful?

Not talking about extreme examples such as PVP noob campers or being total asshats, or full loot situations, but if you just die to another player on occasion with little lost, what's the difference?

Despite being a total carebear who sucks at PVP, (the zerg really is my friend) my best years in MMORPGs have been in EVE, DAOC Mordred, ArcheAge Beta, and WOW PVP servers.

The PVP gave the game's more of a sense of purpose or achievement than their PVE or RVR counterparts which I often played a character or two on first before migrating to the PVP ones.

Also the camradarie between guild or corp mates was always much deeper, nothing like the adversity of you and your mates against the world or universe to intensify the bonds between basically what are a bunch of strangers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    The question is, do you ever die to NPCs and if so, what makes dying to another player so much more hateful?

Not talking about extreme examples such as PVP noob campers or being total asshats, or full loot situations, but if you just die to another player on occasion with little lost, what's the difference?

Despite being a total carebear who sucks at PVP, (the zerg really is my friend) my best years in MMORPGs have been in EVE, DAOC Mordred, ArcheAge Beta, and WOW PVP servers.

The PVP gave the game's more of a sense of purpose or achievement than their PVE or RVR counterparts which I often played a character or two on first before migrating to the PVP ones.

Also the camradarie between guild or corp mates was always much deeper, nothing like the adversity of you and your mates against the world or universe to intensify the bonds between basically what are a bunch of strangers.

I only get upset when a player goes out of their way to kill me. NPC are scripted and have no intent. Players do things because they want to. They want to camp and kill me over and over. If I die to a one off instance that is fine. Not so much when they follow me around and kill me. That is when I leave.
    cheyane

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    edited March 2021
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

I only get upset when a player goes out of their way to kill me. NPC are scripted and have no intent. Players do things because they want to. They want to camp and kill me over and over. If I die to a one off instance that is fine. Not so much when they follow me around and kill me. That is when I leave.
    Somebody is going to have to say it, I will take the blame. That does sound a bit carebear. But sure camping is a pain and if a game has a lot of that it has not been designed well. You can give players a return to base teleport after death that sort of thing. As to going out of their way to kill me, in the FPS I play they do that all the time, cheating f******. ;)
    Kyleran
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,424
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Question. Are you talking about inherently PvP games(like, idk, Darkfall) or about the games that make you play PvP even if you want to play PvE? Would it bother you equally in these two categories?
  • FunkyfuzzFunkyfuzz Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I think that popularity doesn't necessarily drive people to games, but it piques interest in many. I think from that point people will check it out and try it if it meets their qualifications. I tend to end up playing a game when I decide to dig into it enough to download it, but there's a few that I've just stopped after a few minutes.
    Skyforge
    Albion
    Most survival games - for some reason, the survival concept intrigues me, but I always end up just logging out of every survival game I play after just a few hours. Perhaps I haven't found one yet that attracts me, or (more likely) the concept sounds more enjoyable then the actual gameplay when I get there.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2021
    SWtOR. I love Star Wars and WoW in SW universe sounds great in theory, as do the great storylines for each class, but the two times I’ve downloaded it and tried it, I didn’t last more than a couple of hours. I already have thousands of hours logged into the WoW universe, I can’t justify starting over. ESO, Fallout 76, and Destiny 2 were different enough to make the switch worth it for a time, but SWtOR fails to click for some reason.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.