Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valheim Nears 500,000 Concurrent Players | MMORPG.com

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Scot said:
    Utinni said:
    Scot said:
    Is this a game for solo though? "Concurrent", would like to see figures for group play and maybe this sort of game will help players realise grouped most of the time is viable in a MMO. Even in MMORPG's if the gameplay is done right. It really takes the survival sea biscuit when I find myself hoping the survival genre gets MMORPG players back into grouping! :)

I group in each MMO I play. Which ones are you playing that don't have group content?
    The design is for solo in nearly every MMO out there, you can of course group if you want to. I assume you are not talking about group levelling as levelling content is solo content, but of course you can group in a game designed for soloing if you want.

All of my most recent leveling adventures have been with a group. Sounds like you're just playing solo and saying everything is solo.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    remsleep said:
    I hope they hire more devs - and dont' burn out and remain in "early access" forever like so many other games.

Would love to see them beef up their dev team, finish the game and launch it.

Right now the game has 5 biomes and 5 bosses - some have already beaten all of them and are basically waiting for more content to be added.

Increasing the dev team size with all this initial success - would be the logical thing to do, so that players keep getting more content and improved gameplay.

I haven't bought the game yet but this is my concern as well.......When I read about people not having anything to do in less than a month of game time, that is concerning.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    remsleep said:
    I hope they hire more devs - and dont' burn out and remain in "early access" forever like so many other games.

Right now the game has 5 biomes and 5 bosses - some have already beaten all of them and are basically waiting for more content to be added.

Increasing the dev team size with all this initial success - would be the logical thing to do, so that players keep getting more content and improved gameplay.

I haven't bought the game yet but this is my concern as well.......When I read about people not having anything to do in less than a month of game time, that is concerning.
    It depends. The content isn't just the 5 biomes and 5 bosses, thats grossly misleading. Its a sandbox with a bit of themepark. Finishing the themepark part and saying there is no more content just isn't what this game is about. I only downed the first boss for instance. Not because I was ready but because Blue and Torval were with me and we decided to do it. I could have easily spend another week or two just doing my thing with building and exploring and not make any 'themepark progress' whatsoever.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited February 2021
    I have been playing solo and can not bring myself to put it down.  There is definately a draw to the game.  I made my first major error this weekend. I left my staring zone after downing the 2nd boss and sailed pretty far south with a small trireme boat.  Upon landing I decided to explore the meadows a bit to find a perfect location to build my spawn point and portal.  Within a short distance I came across a massive village that seemed empty from afar and I could use the existing structures to build. Low and behold filled with high level mobs and I got smashed dropped all my stuff.

Built a raft and sailed for 20min back to my loaction.  Spent my Sunday evening terraforming a hilltop with a moat surrounding it, where I will build a Fort to launch my adventure into the swamps.  Having a blast with all of it.

10/10
    Brainy[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:

I even offered to buy you a copy of the game so you could demonstrate all the stuff you 3rd person Remsplain to us.  As though your watching a video invalidates 3 million people having a 96% positive experience for.   Naturally your response was NO.  When I say I will have had 100+ hours of fun, I mean just that.  Not that I will have had 3 hours of fun.  You don't believe that, or the 96% of people that say the game is great, well, that's on you.  Everyone can have an opinion but I'll take the opinions of people who actually experienced something over a person who 3rd person Remplains it away.

I believe that you've had 100 hours of fun - I am just questioning that not all 100 hours were exactly the same "level of fun".

that was my point.

When people say well $20 = 100 hours - great value - I am questioning how much of those 100 hours were "peak fun" and how many were "sort of fun" 

Because not all 100 were equally mind blowing fun - that I can guarantee you is not factual for any person.

Even the games I most loved and have put over 1000 hours into - I can tell you that not all of those hours were equally fun  - maybe 20 out of 1000 were crazy super fun, but most were just sort of "average/ok fun"

Also please abstain from stooping down to dumb "nickname calling" - it doesn't suit you.
    No.  IMHO "dumb" is trying to tell people that you are going to dissect the "level of fun" they are having in the game you never tried.  Because of some concept you developed around "peak fun" and "average/OK fun". 

Actual Players: Man I had 5 hours of mindblowing sex last night!  It was amazing!
    You: Well only 10 seconds of that was "peak fun" so I think you are overstating the amount of fun you had.

Please just stop.  

So when someone presents an idea or concept that differs from your own - you just tell them to just stop.

Ok.

I guess the only way to have discussions is if we all just agree on everything and don't have any differing opinions.

Nope.  If you had PLAYED the game then you would be making an informed opinion/statement.  Which I might or might not agree with.

What you have been doing with this game is making 3rd hand statements as though they have any weight when weighed against people with 1st hand experience.

Did you see me tell anyone else in any Valheim thread, who actually played the game and didn't like it... that they were wrong?   

Don't confuse that with what you have been doing.   You are literally, as in actually literally doing it... claiming that when I say I'll have had 100 hours of fun in this game, that I am playing... it's not legitimate because if I put in 1000 hours only "20 out of 1000 were crazy/super fun".  You literally said that.  Without ever playing the game.  In some lame ass attempt to devalue my claim to have had 100 hours of fun.  And again, lest we forget... you not only have never played the game to see for yourself, but you turned down my offer of a free account to experience it yourself instead of relying on cherrypicked Youtube videos.

So yeah, everyone can have an opinion, but some are much more credible than others.

I am really confused now - I have been making statements based on what I've watched people on twitch and youtube - where they mercilessly abuse dumb AI and just beat bosses without taking a single hit - usually by exploiting building mechanics to be out of reach of attacks and in turn be able to do ranged damage (though some have been a lot more creative than that - as in tomb stacking buff for Bonemass -that was very cool)

I don't need 1st hand experience to tell you that what I've see over and over again is 100% valid 

The AI needs work - this is painfully obvious - you don't need to play the game to come to this conclusion - just like you don't need to walk on the sun to conclude that it's fucking hot.

Point is clear - you do not have to play the game to make a credible conclusion that AI needs work

As far as 100 hours of fun - that is a completely separate discussion that you still didn't quite understand what my point was - which was when people use time/cost value for games - they say  $X / Y time - and they equate all time as being exactly the same - which I am saying is a problem because it is not the same.

example someone says they've spent $50 on BDO - and played it for 1000 hours - so $50 for 1000 hours of fun - my point is they didn't really have 1000 hours of fun - because a lot of those hours were not really fun - but our human brain will just lump it all into the same "fun" bucket - when in reality if you were to closely examine each hour spent, you'd see that there were many ups and downs, and lulls and lots of hum-drum time in there.

So while it "feels" like it was 1000 hours of fun when you think about it - it was not like that in reality - our memory when we think about a many hours is not capable of objectively concluding the quality of all of those hours separately.

Does that make sense? So people in reality don't really have 100 hours of fun - they just remember it as such, because that's how our mind will simplify the summary of long hours together - you remember the highs and the lows - but the majority of sort of "hum-drum" stuff is completely filtered out.

What I am trying to explain (and apprently failing miserably) is that when we try to describe a long period of time like 100 hours, 500 hours, 1000 hours - our mind sums it up into something simple and filters a lot of "reality" out of it - so you say it was fun, or it sucked or something like that - we remember the highs and lows and forget about the mundane boring parts when we try to sum up long periods of time - it's how our minds work.

You know how the human mind works?  Research the mind of a person who never did something yet feels qualified to explain to those that did that they are over stating their enjoyment of it.

Your obsession with trying to claim that people are not really having the fun they think they are having is just sad. When I say I had 100 hours of fun I mean I had 100 hours of fun.  I do not need to chart it out on a graph and identify "peak fun".   

As for your nitpicking AI off of videos...  Name a game that exists with perfect AI that does not need work.  Show me the game where the AI is so perfect and lifelike that I can use it as the gold standard. And for a bonus show me that game as a onetime $20 purchase I can make.  You were (again, quite literally) given a chance for me to give you an account to come and personally demonstrate to me how poor the AI was.  You chickened out.  Nuff said there.

tldr: Your insightful commentary that the AI is not perfect is as useful as the weatherman saying that it's going to rain this year.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    lahnmir said:
    remsleep said:

It depends. The content isn't just the 5 biomes and 5 bosses, thats grossly misleading. Its a sandbox with a bit of themepark. Finishing the themepark part and saying there is no more content just isn't what this game is about. I only downed the first boss for instance. Not because I was ready but because Blue and Torval were with me and we decided to do it. I could have easily spend another week or two just doing my thing with building and exploring and not make any 'themepark progress' whatsoever.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Isn't this highly dependent on ones playstyle?

If a person decides to beat all bosses as quickly as possible - and has no interest in building or sandbox aspects - they could go through it (assuming they fully understand all the requirements and mechanics to spawn each boss and have necessary gear) quite quickly.

I think the current world record for all 5 bosses is less than 6 hours - I've see the speedrun for first 3 bosses and it as 3 hours 15minutes

Again.  What you are basing this off is utter lunacy.

I'll give you a clue.   The map is HUGE.  There is zero chance.  Yes... ZERO chance. That you could even FIND all 5 bosses in 6 hours.  But of course, having never played the game you do not know how ludicrous that statement was.

Brainy

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    remsleep said:
    lahnmir said:
    remsleep said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

If a person decides to beat all bosses as quickly as possible - and has no interest in building or sandbox aspects - they could go through it (assuming they fully understand all the requirements and mechanics to spawn each boss and have necessary gear) quite quickly.

I think the current world record for all 5 bosses is less than 6 hours - I've see the speedrun for first 3 bosses and it as 3 hours 15minutes

Yeah, and you can finish Fallout 4 in 20 minutes, Dark Souls in an hour or 2 and so on and so forth. I don't get the point. If your are skipping 90% of the game then you are in no position to say there isn't enough of content. Why would you pick a game where you don't like 90% of the content? I am sorry but this is just arguing for the sake of arguing, there is no actual point being made. You might enjoy that exercise, I think its a waste of time. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    BrainyTokken
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I have been playing solo and can not bring myself to put it down.  There is definately a draw to the game.  I made my first major error this weekend. I left my staring zone after downing the 2nd boss and sailed pretty far south with a small trireme boat.  Upon landing I decided to explore the meadows a bit to find a perfect location to build my spawn point and portal.  Within a short distance I came across a massive village that seemed empty from afar and I could use the existing structures to build. Low and behold filled with high level mobs and I got smashed dropped all my stuff.

Built a raft and sailed for 20min back to my loaction.  Spent my Sunday evening terraforming a hilltop with a moat surrounding it, where I will build a Fort to launch my adventure into the swamps.  Having a blast will all of it.

10/10
    Yeah one thing about this game I love is that it changes your direction organically. 
    You may have a plan to go from A to B and then.....

See the source image

So you have watched me take my ship out to sea   :D
    Groqstrong[Deleted User]kitaradTacticalZombeh

remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    lahnmir said:
    remsleep said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Again.  What you are basing this off is utter lunacy.

I'll give you a clue.   The map is HUGE.  There is zero chance.  Yes... ZERO chance. That you could even FIND all 5 bosses in 6 hours.  But of course, having never played the game you do not know how ludicrous that statement was.

Once people start posting speedrun videos we will see how long it takes to kill all 5.

Maybe it's lunacy.

Maybe not - at one point i didn't think possible that minecraft can be beaten in 1 minutes 55 seconds (current world record for ender dragon kill) - if someone told me this when Minecraft launched - I would have said it was lunacy too
    A speedrun of a seed where they have seen the map and already played it through and know each boss location?  WTF good is that.  Thats like saying you can read the LOTR in 2 minutes by just jumping to the final chapter.

Give it up.  You keep positing random stuff you find on the internet and to those of us that play the game it is absolutely batshit bonkers silly.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited February 2021
    Not sure why some people are having a beef with this game..... it's not like it's some kind of rip off.  The game is very fun if you like Viking/Nordic themed lore, it's fun if you like to build things and like to explore and do sandboxy things.....

I mean I spent hours last night just sneaking around the black forest near my hunting lodge doing just that hunting deer, necks and boar while picking up some flint along the shore.

I really enjoy how you have to sneak and listen to hear the deer calls to try and spot them... fun without being overly hardcore.

There's quite a bit to do if you like this kind of thing...frankly this game has finally gotten my son off the minecraft boat...at least for awhile which is 110% awesome for me as I am super sick of minecraft... LOL

It even has this short mini themepark tied in to the five bosses which is more than what many sand boxes offer...

Dunno but for a huge whopping CDN$23 I am not sure why anyone is complaining..I mean that's like under 20$USD .......

I do hope they expand more but frankly even if I was to play the game only a couple weeks it certainly worth the little it costs.

Groqstrong[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited February 2021
    remsleep said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Not sure why some people are having a beef with this game..... it's not like it's some kind of rip off.  The game is very fun if you like Viking/Nordic themed lore, it's fun if you like to build things and like to explore and do sandboxy things.....

I mean I spent hours last night just sneaking around the black forest near my hunting lodge doing just that hunting deer, necks and boar while picking up some flint along the shore.

I really enjoy how you have to sneak and listen to hear the deer calls to try and spot them... fun without being overly hardcore.

There's quite a bit to do if you like this kind of thing...frankly this game has finally gotten my son off the minecraft boat...at least for awhile which is 110% awesome for me as I am super sick of minecraft... LOL

It even has this short mini themepark tied in to the five bosses which is more than what many sand boxes offer...

Dunno but for a huge whopping CDN$23 I am not sure why anyone is complaining..I mean that's like under 20$USD .......

I do hope they expand more but frankly even if I was to play the game only a couple weeks it certainly worth the little it costs.

I don't have any beef with the game - contrary to what you might hear others conclude.

I have an issue with "early access" - any early access game - not specific to Valheim, that is my personal issue though.

the only criticism of Valhiem is the AI - and that doesn't mean that the game is "bad" and that I don't like the game - which again people are jumping to this conclusion for some strange reason.

I have never said the game is bad period, but forums are weird man.

My post wasn't in response of "just you" or targeting you specifically. I just read some people think it is too short, doesn't have enough to do which I was thinking is because the game is like 1 GB I think.

I do get being really wary of EA game though but I do think this is definitely the exception to the norm of EA games which I generally do not bother buying anymore.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    remsleep said:
    Asm0deus said:

I don't have any beef with the game - contrary to what you might hear others conclude.

I have an issue with "early access" - any early access game - not specific to Valheim, that is my personal issue though.

the only criticism of Valhiem is the AI - and that doesn't mean that the game is "bad" and that I don't like the game - which again people are jumping to this conclusion for some strange reason.

I have never said the game is bad period, but forums are weird man.

You have raised several issues in your opinion of the game, for example content and ai.  You dont have to say the actual words "game is bad" for someone to figure out what you are implying.  

You cant play it both ways.
    remsleep said:

I asked you before but either you avoided it or I missed your response.  Can you list the current online games that have fully functional and unexploitable AI?  Bonus for one that costs a one time $20 price.

Torval said:
    remsleep said:
    A speedrun of a seed where they have seen the map and already played it through and know each boss location?  WTF good is that.  Thats like saying you can read the LOTR in 2 minutes by just jumping to the final chapter.

Give it up.  You keep positing random stuff you find on the internet and to those of us that play the game it is absolutely batshit bonkers silly.

All speedruns are batshit bonkers silly by nature.

Which is strange that you keep bringing them up and using it as metric to criticize the game. Quite puzzling.
    Queue the "I wasn't criticizing the game" routine...

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I picked up Valheim the other day, thought I'd give it a go. I'm not really a fan of survival games, but admittedly not played many. So, given the viking theme and glowing reviews (and cheap price), I thought why not?!

The game is not for me.

The combat is absolutely terrible, and im a combat-focused player so this is really my biggest impediment to fun. I did know this going in, I watched a few gameplay videos and they all showed poor combat, I was just hoping the other aspects of the game would make up for.

I did enjoy the building....what little I managed to do. It was fun creating my first few houses and even with a fairly limited amount of structural objects, you could still create some pretty cool things. I can only imagine this would get much better over time as I unlocked more things.

I hated the gathering. Especially deers.... I seemed to spend about 10 minutes gathering for every 1 minute of building, so whilst I enjoyed the building, this ratio didn't work for me. From what I can see, this ratio improves when playing with friends, but im playing solo.

I have nothing against the game, it seems OK and I'm glad lots of people are enjoying it, but just not for me.....in its current state. I'm sure that if I could push on for longer then I'd probably start having more fun, but the first 4 hours of playing were just not good enough to motivate me to continue. It's also a little light on the viking theme, a lot of what i've seen seems pretty generic medieval fantasy. Not that thats an issue in itself, but i was hoping for more.

I will probably check in again when the game releases and see what's improved. The devs did mention in their roadmap that they hoped to be able to improve combat further down the road, so im hoping their impressive sales figures means they'll have the money to do so.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

it is a terrible game, there is no one world when you could come an play. You need to have a group of people to play it.

Terrible game that is setting records for concurrent players and purchases lol. No sir....it's you.

And I have been playing solo since it released and enjoying it just fine. I can imagine it is a different experience with friends but you do not "need" a group.

The game is not for you, get over it. Doesn't make it terrible.

Something being popular don't make it quality.
    #yikes
    When you're the only one in the room...
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    remsleep said:

I asked you before but either you avoided it or I missed your response.  Can you list the current online games that have fully functional and unexploitable AI?  Bonus for one that costs a one time $20 price.
    Whether other games have fully functional and unexploitable AI has no bearing on Valheim. Even if every other game had worse AI, that still wouldn't make Valheim's AI good, just better. 

As an analogy, I present you a wonderful pile of crap. I tell you the crap smells bad, and you fire back at me asking me to produce a pile of crap that doesn't smell bad. No matter what other piles of crap are smelling like, mine still stinks. It might be the least smelly pile of crap ever made but it still stinks.

That doesn't mean my pile of crap is worthless. Maybe the other qualities of my pile make it good. Size, consistency, color, how well it spreads. There's plenty of reasons my pile of crap is good, it's smell isn't one of them. 

Now, I'm also not saying that Valheim's AI sucks. I haven't played enough of it to make that conclusion. And I am really upset that I had to come in on the same side as remsleep on this one. It made me throw up just a little bit in my mouth. :p

And speaking of that... Rem, if you simply stated once that the AI was bad and left it at that then people might not believe you "hate" the game. As is the case with most of your debates, it's the constant and adamant defense of your statements that gives off the vibe that you hate something. Pretty much everything for that matter.
    remsleep said:
    Torval said:
    remsleep said:

Which is strange that you keep bringing them up and using it as metric to criticize the game. Quite puzzling.

I am criticizing the game as far as early access and AI - so I am in fact criticizing the game.

I am not *hating* the game however.
    I am not saying the game is *bad*

For some reason on forums - any criticism immediately leads to "hater" - it's crazy.

As I said before I have harsh criticism for many things in life that I love. You can be critical without hating stuff, and without thinking it's bad.

I think there's a mistaken belief that the only way to support something and love something is to have zero criticism about it.

I think that's a lie - it's totally normal to see downsides and have criticism and still love stuff regardless.
    No.  You continue to make that false equivalency.   Other people have TRIED the game and disliked it, stated so on these very forums, and not gotten any grief.  See the post 3 above yours for an example.  That is quite different from not playing a game (even when offered to be given a free copy), spending your time searching Reddit and Youtube for videos of people who have found an exploit or playing in godmode and then pretending that gives from credibility to your criticism.   

I criticize games all the time.  Lets be honest 95% of the time.  But most of that is either for a game that I have in fact tried (Crowfall, CU, etc...) or games that NOBODY has tried (Ashes of Creation, Pantheon, etc...).  I do not think I have ever tried to watch exploit videos for a game with 3.5M players (96% positive reviews) and tried to rationalize a critique of the game off that.  

What you are trying to rationalize is the equivalent of doing a film critique based off of a parody review of a trailer...  for a released movie that you refuse to see even when offered for free.

[Deleted User]GroqstrongBrainy

Splattr said:
    remsleep said:

Whether other games have fully functional and unexploitable AI has no bearing on Valheim. Even if every other game had worse AI, that still wouldn't make Valheim's AI good, just better. 

As an analogy, I present you a wonderful pile of crap. I tell you the crap smells bad, and you fire back at me asking me to produce a pile of crap that doesn't smell bad. No matter what other piles of crap are smelling like, mine still stinks. It might be the least smelly pile of crap ever made but it still stinks.

That doesn't mean my pile of crap is worthless. Maybe the other qualities of my pile make it good. Size, consistency, color, how well it spreads. There's plenty of reasons my pile of crap is good, it's smell isn't one of them. 

Now, I'm also not saying that Valheim's AI sucks. I haven't played enough of it to make that conclusion. And I am really upset that I had to come in on the same side as remsleep on this one. It made me throw up just a little bit in my mouth. :p

No... that misses the point.   If your only criticism of a game is the feature (AI) that is pretty much on par with 99.999% of other released online games... then that's really not a very fair critique is it?   Thats my point.  Is it really any worse than it's peers?  Heck no.  Sure you can mention it... but to seek out exploit videos made in godmode and then post like it's far substandard is just an attempt to be very misleading. 

IMHO AI in EVERY game is pathetic.  In games that have made billions of dollars, you can walk to the "Throne room" and "Pull" the king's guards one at a time and slaughter them in a hallway.  If by some chance they see you, just run away and they will eventually just walk back to their dumb position of standing around, regardless of whether Johnny the guard is now dead on the floor.  I argue constantly that once we get a reasonable AI in games.. PvP becomes irrelevant because the NPCs will be smart enough that you cant tell the difference.  We arent anywhere near there yet... and expecting that level of AI from a $20 survival game is just not a reasonable expectation IMHO.

remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    Torval said:
    remsleep said:

I am criticizing the game as far as early access and AI - so I am in fact criticizing the game.

For some reason on forums - any criticism immediately leads to "hater" - it's crazy.

As I said before I have harsh criticism for many things in life that I love. You can be critical without hating stuff, and without thinking it's bad.

I think there's a mistaken belief that the only way to support something and love something is to have zero criticism about it.

I think that's a lie - it's totally normal to see downsides and have criticism and still love stuff regardless.
    No.  You continue to make that false equivalency.   Other people have TRIED the game and disliked it, stated so on these very forums, and not gotten any grief.  See the post 3 above yours for an example.  That is quite different from not playing a game (even when offered to be given a free copy), spending your time searching Reddit and Youtube for videos of people who have found an exploit or playing in godmode and then pretending that gives from credibility to your criticism.   

I criticize games all the time.  Lets be honest 95% of the time.  But most of that is either for a game that I have in fact tried (Crowfall, CU, etc...) or games that NOBODY has tried (Ashes of Creation, Pantheon, etc...).  I do not think I have ever tried to watch exploit videos for a game with 3.5M players (96% positive reviews) and tried to rationalize a critique of the game off that.  

What you are trying to rationalize is the equivalent of doing a film critique based off of a parody review of a trailer...  for a released movie that you refuse to see even when offered for free.

How would 1st hand experience change this - I've watched many streams and videos - I can guarantee that even when this launches (whenever that is) - unless they fix the AI - I will have the same complaint.

As I explained... I give you a copy.  You come play.  You show me how to do all the stuff you saw in the video, without cheats, exploits or anything else.  You start fresh on the server and show me how poor the AI is by abusing it for me.

You refuse to do that because you KNOW that when you enter the game, even though you watched all these videos that theoretically spoiled the game, you cannot replicate what they show.  You will die.  Then you will die.  Then you will die.

And then if that happened, maybe you would be forced to admit that the AI was good enough for the game to present a challenge.

So of course, you will avoid that at all costs, sit on the sidelines and live vicariously through staged videos of exploiters.

Seriously.  You, a gamer coming in with all the edge of having watched these videos for weeks should have zero problem right?  Come demonstrate it.  The offer is open for the rest of tonight.  Then we can watch the videos of your exploits together.  Heck.. I will even try and livestream it on Discord so everyone can watch live and see you back up what you say.

remsleep said:
    Splattr said:
    remsleep said:

No... that misses the point.   If your only criticism of a game is the feature (AI) that is pretty much on par with 99.999% of other released online games... then that's really not a very fair critique is it?   Thats my point.  Is it really any worse than it's peers?  Heck no.  Sure you can mention it... but to seek out exploit videos made in godmode and then post like it's far substandard is just an attempt to be very misleading. 

IMHO AI in EVERY game is pathetic.  In games that have made billions of dollars, you can walk to the "Throne room" and "Pull" the king's guards one at a time and slaughter them in a hallway.  If by some chance they see you, just run away and they will eventually just walk back to their dumb position of standing around, regardless of whether Johnny the guard is now dead on the floor.  I argue constantly that once we get a reasonable AI in games.. PvP becomes irrelevant because the NPCs will be smart enough that you cant tell the difference.  We arent anywhere near there yet... and expecting that level of AI from a $20 survival game is just not a reasonable expectation IMHO.

Your entire excuse for poor AI boils down to:

1. It's a $20 - what do you expect - it's going to be crap
    2. Every other game has bad AI 

Not sure if you realize this - but this does not in fact refute that Valheim has bad AI - in fact it supports it.

So you agree that AI is in fact lacking in Valheim - and your entire problem with me telling you that AI is bad - because I haven't played it 1st hand.

it's ridiculous, don't you see - that you are actually on the same page with me as far as AI being poor.

We agree on this - your only issue is that I am saying this from 2nd hand experience - you refuse to acknowledge that what I've been saying all along is true for some reason, just because I haven't played it.

Pretend that I've played it - and I am telling you that AI is bad - would you agree with me then?

See prior post.  Lets stop the games.  Come play.  I will stream it.  You can show the world and put this to bed.

remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    Torval said:
    remsleep said:

How would 1st hand experience change this - I've watched many streams and videos - I can guarantee that even when this launches (whenever that is) - unless they fix the AI - I will have the same complaint.

As I explained... I give you a copy.  You come play.  You show me how to do all the stuff you saw in the video, without cheats, exploits or anything else.  You start fresh on the server and show me how poor the AI is by abusing it for me.

You refuse to do that because you KNOW that when you enter the game, even though you watched all these videos that theoretically spoiled the game, you cannot replicate what they show.  You will die.  Then you will die.  Then you will die.

And then if that happened, maybe you would be forced to admit that the AI was good enough for the game to present a challenge.

So of course, you will avoid that at all costs, sit on the sidelines and live vicariously through staged videos of exploiters.

Seriously.  You, a gamer coming in with all the edge of having watched these videos for weeks should have zero problem right?  Come demonstrate it.  The offer is open for the rest of tonight.  Then we can watch the videos of your exploits together.  Heck.. I will even try and livestream it on Discord so everyone can watch live and see you back up what you say.

Come on man - all those videos - where people build structures above bonemass and just plink him down - what those are fake videos?

People kiting Trolls and sniping them with arrows - fake?

this whole premise you are setting up where I would come in without ever playing the game to show how stuff is done is just pointless.

How about after launch - let me practice for a few days - and then I'll show you first hand - I am totally down with that.

But to deny that videos I've linked are fake is just utter shit - they are real - I can link another 50 videos that show how bad AI is in Valheim and how it's ridiculously easy to exploit - why isn't that valid? because it's not me but someone else playing - that makes it somehow "invalid"?

It's absurd 
    No that’s the point.  You are watching what other people have done over the last month(or however long it’s out) and using cumulative knowledge to try and find ways to exploit the game and say Ah Ha!

You SHOULD be a new player, without having looked up exploit videos our scoured Reddit for answers.  THAT is the state you should be judging the game from.  

If you join a server right now, even having “cheated” by studying all these videos.  You will still die... and die... and die.  To this same AI that you mock.  

Scouring videos and Reddit for ways to “beat” the AI is a ridiculous cheapening of the experience.

TheAmir said:
    I refunded :) that's what I think of it.
    Hey... you are the 4%.  Nothing wrong with that.  People think I'm crazy because I can't stand even the smell of coffee.  I'm probably the 1% there... I think all the coffee people are nuts.

bobbymcswanson

remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:
    Torval said:
    remsleep said:

Come on man - all those videos - where people build structures above bonemass and just plink him down - what those are fake videos?

People kiting Trolls and sniping them with arrows - fake?

this whole premise you are setting up where I would come in without ever playing the game to show how stuff is done is just pointless.

How about after launch - let me practice for a few days - and then I'll show you first hand - I am totally down with that.

But to deny that videos I've linked are fake is just utter shit - they are real - I can link another 50 videos that show how bad AI is in Valheim and how it's ridiculously easy to exploit - why isn't that valid? because it's not me but someone else playing - that makes it somehow "invalid"?

It's absurd 
    No that’s the point.  You are watching what other people have done over the last month(or however long it’s out) and using cumulative knowledge to try and find ways to exploit the game and say Ah Ha!

You SHOULD be a new player, without having looked up exploit videos our scoured Reddit for answers.  THAT is the state you should be judging the game from.  

If you join a server right now, even having “cheated” by studying all these videos.  You will still die... and die... and die.  To this same AI that you mock.  

Scouring videos and Reddit for ways to “beat” the AI is a ridiculous cheapening of the experience.

This is the most ridiculous thing yet - I should judge the game's AI based on total noob experience???

I mean your point would be to take a total noob who has never played the game and record them dying because they don't know the basic systems and how stuff works?

And this would somehow prove to you that AI is not crap?

This is a joke right?

And somehow magically 2 weeks later after you learn ins and outs of the game - and if at that point AI is too dumb - that doesn't count anymore as "poor AI"

The game has poor AI - nothing will change that, that's just a fact - it doesn't make the game "crap" or bad, but we are dealing with shit AI regardless.

No.. its the concept that playing the game naturally should be how you judge it.  Not having compiled all the exploits that the world has discovered over a month.  As soon as you start "cheating" you have ruined the game.  Is that so hard to understand?  And yes... looking every advantage up on a forum or watching exploit videos is cheating...