Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valheim Nears 500,000 Concurrent Players | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 7,110
edited February 22 in News & Features Discussion

imageValheim Nears 500,000 Concurrent Players | MMORPG.com

Valheim continues its charge as it nears 500,000 concurrent players on Steam this weekend.

Read the full story here

blueturtle13

Comments

• aivariohaaivarioha Member UncommonPosts: 46
    it is a terrible game, there is no one world when you could come an play. You need to have a group of people to play it.
    MorbeousViper482GlacianNexBrainySlapshot1188CelciusRemyVorenderCaboSoulHJ-NavarreTimukasand 2 others.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 3,292

aivarioha said:

it is a terrible game, there is no one world when you could come an play. You need to have a group of people to play it.

Terrible game that is setting records for concurrent players and purchases lol. No sir....it's you.

And I have been playing solo since it released and enjoying it just fine. I can imagine it is a different experience with friends but you do not "need" a group.

The game is not for you, get over it. Doesn't make it terrible.
    GlacianNexBrainyNecromaaivariohaJean-Luc_PicardGroqstrongTheAmirTimukasTacticalZombehRhoklawand 1 other.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,758
    I absolutely love the game. 
    SovrathViper482TorvalJean-Luc_PicardGroqstrongHJ-NavarreTimukasTacticalZombehRhoklawAsheram

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,556
    edited February 22
    Is this a game for solo though? "Concurrent", would like to see figures for group play and maybe this sort of game will help players realise grouped most of the time is viable in a MMO. Even in MMORPG's if the gameplay is done right. It really takes the survival sea biscuit when I find myself hoping the survival genre gets MMORPG players back into grouping! :)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,968
    Scot said:
    Is this a game for solo though? "Concurrent", would like to see figures for group play and maybe this sort of game will help players realise grouped most of the time is viable in a MMO. Even in MMORPG's if the gameplay is done right. It really takes the survival sea biscuit when I find myself hoping the survival genre gets MMORPG players back into grouping! :)

I group in each MMO I play. Which ones are you playing that don't have group content?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,556
    edited February 22
    Utinni said:
    Scot said:

I group in each MMO I play. Which ones are you playing that don't have group content?
    The design is for solo in nearly every MMO out there, you can of course group if you want to. I assume you are not talking about group levelling as levelling content is solo content, but of course you can group in a game designed for soloing if you want.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Terrible game that is setting records for concurrent players and purchases lol. No sir....it's you.

And I have been playing solo since it released and enjoying it just fine. I can imagine it is a different experience with friends but you do not "need" a group.

Something being popular don't make it quality.
    #yikes
    Viper482McSleazTimukasRhoklawAsheram
  • NicoleCNicoleC Member UncommonPosts: 21

Scot said:

Is this a game for solo though? "Concurrent", would like to see figures for group play and maybe this sort of game will help players realise grouped most of the time is viable in a MMO.

You can play Valheim solo or grouped, with grouped being less tedious and (IMO) more fun. Even though difficultly goes up with more players in the area, solo is the hardest mode.
    Viper482ScotTorvalTacticalZombeh

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

#yikes

You not liking something doesn't make it terrible. Holy shit dude....you're actually debating this? I get it....you have self-esteem issues because everyone likes this game except you and you are diverting that back onto the game must be terrible. It's okay man, it's not for everyone, just everyone but you.
    aivariohaJean-Luc_PicardRoinTheAmirTimukasTacticalZombehNaitakal

Scot said:

Yes, it is. It is a different experience than grouping, just slower really. Having to gather mats by yourself to build obviously takes a lot longer than when you have help.

But this is not anywhere near an MMO, I don't know why people are even using the term. It has co-op multiplayer up to 10 players, hardly "massive".
    ScotKidRiskTheAmirTacticalZombeh
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 355
    edited February 22
    Were they only 3 guys developing this game prior to 2020??

October 1st 2019 : "In other news; Iron Gate has recruited its’ first employee! Please welcome artist Robin Eyre, who will be responsible for the visuals of Valheim going forward."

January 1st 2020 : "First important happening of 2019 was probably when Henrik Törnqvist joined me as my partner in crime."

January 1st 2020 : "The rest of the year we mostly spend working our asses of! Like 3 bearded vikings set on slaying The Elder!"

http://irongatestudio.se/news/
  • remsleepremsleep Member EpicPosts: 1,967
    edited February 22
    I hope they hire more devs - and dont' burn out and remain in "early access" forever like so many other games.

Would love to see them beef up their dev team, finish the game and launch it.

Right now the game has 5 biomes and 5 bosses - some have already beaten all of them and are basically waiting for more content to be added.

Increasing the dev team size with all this initial success - would be the logical thing to do, so that players keep getting more content and improved gameplay.
    TheAmirTimukas
  • RungarRungar Member UncommonPosts: 70
    You know something is seriously wrong with the games industry when a couple of guys can make a game in a few of years with minimal staff and its one of the best games you ever played.

RemyVorenderTimukasTacticalZombeh
    We shall know them by their works
    edited February 22
    Rungar said:
    You know something is seriously wrong with the games industry when a couple of guys can make a game in a few of years with minimal staff and its one of the best games you ever played.

Because making video games is a creative process - just throwing money at it and project plans doesn't gurantee that you will make a great game.

I think there's a huge misconception that anyone is capable of making a great game - that all that's needed is experience (talented devs) and money - clearly this has been proven wrong time and time again as some of the best devs with lots of money have failed to produce even average games.

So bottom line - nothing has changed as far as video game creative process goes - what has changed are the skyrocketing video game costs for AAA games - that has gotten completely out of hand.

But as far as the genius behind Tetris - that hasn't changed - even decades ago you'd have some amazing creative minds make great 2D games. 

There is no 100% recipe for an amazing game - it does not exist no matter how much this goes against your internal logic - it is true.

Often it's a one time thing too - same devs that have made some of the greatest games of all time have failed to replicate that success time and time again.

So the Valheim devs might make 10 more games and they could all be failures.

So there you go - 2 guys can make an amazing game once, and fail every time after that. 

Video gaming industry is a hard bitch
    tzervoTimukas
    edited February 22

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

#yikes

You not liking something doesn't make it terrible. Holy shit dude....you're actually debating this? I get it....you have self-esteem issues because everyone likes this game except you and you are diverting that back onto the game must be terrible. It's okay man, it's not for everyone, just everyone but you.

This is actually hilarious.
    First of all, this is a comment section to discuss video games. Seems like someone has forgotten that... And if that wasn't enough you mention self-esteem issues... Well all that would have been just an ironical cringe comment and not more... if you just wouldn't have finished your post making it even more personal with "everyone, but you"...

Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Literally.
    Viper482bobbymcswansonKidRiskTimukas
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

If we are to be perfectly honest, Fall Guys and Among Us were very popular a while back and then fell into obscurity. I think you are forgetting that the same thing could very well happen with Valheim. I have nothing against the game, I feel I should point that out, because people on the internet immediately assume you really hate something from the bottom of your heart unless you're:

a) praising it as the greatest creation in the Universe
    b) shut up and never say a thing

So, yeah the game is popular, it's definitely not bad, but the possibility of it losing popularity and falling into obscurity in a handful of months exists and I think nobody should exclude it.
    BrainyMcSleaz
  • linuxliferlinuxlifer Member UncommonPosts: 1

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

#yikes

First of all, this is a comment section to discuss video games. Seems like someone has forgotten that... And if that wasn't enough you mention self-esteem issues... Well all that would have been just an ironical cringe comment and not more... if you just wouldn't have finished your post making it even more personal with "everyone, but you"...

Lol when someone literally says the game is not quality with no points to base their opinion off, they are clearly not here to discuss something.
    Viper482KidRiskTimukasNaitakal
    edited February 22

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

#yikes

Do you want a discussion or do you want to just come in here and talk shit then expect no one to reply?? Because that is not discussion dude. You didn't like the reply you got so you're crying about it lol. If you don't want anyone to tell you how irrational your opinion is and correct facts you got wrong.....don't post. You cherry-picked one thing out of my reply to respond to as if that won the debate for you or something rofl. Go away man, your whole argument here is stupid. "terrible game, need group".......lol.
    TheAmirTimukas
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,831

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

If we are to be perfectly honest, Fall Guys and Among Us were very popular a while back and then fell into obscurity. I think you are forgetting that the same thing could very well happen with Valheim. I have nothing against the game, I feel I should point that out, because people on the internet immediately assume you really hate something from the bottom of your heart unless you're:

So, yeah the game is popular, it's definitely not bad, but the possibility of it losing popularity and falling into obscurity in a handful of months exists and I think nobody should exclude it.
    When all is said and done I will have had 100+ hours of fun with my friends in Valheim for a cost of $20.

If they never add content and I never load it up again it still ranks as one of the best gaming values I have had in a very long time.

Torvalfrancis_baudblueturtle13Jean-Luc_PicardStizzledViper482RemyVorenderGroqstrongsschruppKidRiskand 2 others.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited February 22

Viper482 said:

aivarioha said:

Undoubtedly the same happens to every game - only a matter of time.

Valheim despite having large worlds - is light on content as far as progression - 5 biomes with 5 bosses - like I mentioned many have already beaten all and are basically just waiting for more content.

We all know what prolonged waiting in video gaming means - players lose interest and leave.

If they dont ramp up development and adding new content - we know exactly what will happen - the game will start to rapidly lose popularity once people have beaten all 5 bosses - there's no challenge left.

So the decline is inevitable - just how long before we see it - a few weeks? a few months?

It's all up to the devs to add more and keep players engaged. 

Also I think the decision to not support player mods is going to severly limit interest in the game longterm.
    McSleazTheAmir
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,869
    Love the game and having a blast.

Every little thing can turn into a giant adventure. It definitely isn't a pop-in pop-out type of experience overall. It's more of a "I wanna do this so let's see where that takes me" kind of thing. It's challenging solo or in a group, but better with friends. Shortcuts are a trap! :lol:
    blueturtle13Slapshot1188Jean-Luc_PicardViper482GroqstrongtzervoTacticalZombehSylvinstar
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

edited February 22
    When all is said and done I will have had 100+ hours of fun with my friends in Valheim for a cost of $20.

If they never add content and I never load it up again it still ranks as one of the best gaming values I have had in a very long time.

"value" is often brought up and I honestly think it misses the point.

It's not about the value - it's about the experience and fun.

I never look back and say - well this game was not that great - but it was $5 so the value is great.

For me a great gaming experience is priceless - when something is truly great and extraordinary - I never look at the "value" - I just revel in the experience.

This is why comparing video games to "movies" is really strange to me (this comes up often in posts) - I've seen movies that have had a deep profound impact on my life - the cost of the ticket is meaningless considering how meaningful the experience was.

So the most impactful amazing movie may have been a couple of hours of my life and cost $20 - but the experience was worth millions to me.

I am yet to have a video game experience that was life changing - so saying well I got 100 hours of this for $20 bucks - to me it's about - the quality of those 100 hours that is far more important - and often in 100 hours i find that only about maybe 10-20 were actually super great, the others were so so, and 30 was probably sort of mundane.

When someone says I played this for 10,000 hours - how many of those hours were like "peak/awesome type of experience"? I doubt it's more than a couple of dozen.

So the whole value/hour of video gaming is just a poor metric IMO

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,831
    remsleep said:

The only one missing the point here is you.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,621
    remsleep said:

The only one missing the point here is you.

He seems to even miss the point of a sandbox game...

I found a picture of some guy, but I forgot to bookmark it...

First picture was asking "What to do when you've beaten all the bosses ?"

Second picture was showing a huge detailed fortress with lot of buildings, and people still building new stuff, and was saying "Now we finally can start to play the game".

People spent years in creative mode in Minecraft.
    TorvalTimukasTacticalZombeh
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 10700k (5.10ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Good luck soloing the 3rd boss XD
    Torval