Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria Is Releasing A Stand-Alone Kingdoms Of Elyria Product, Per New Video | MMORPG.c

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Iselin said:
    Their rep is already so tainted, anything released by them is gonna fall flat on its face.
    No need to worry. Nothing will be released.
    Oh I beg to differ.  This Kingdoms of Catastophe thing will be released... because everyone who downloads it has now received "software" from them and that may allow Xsolla cover in the lawsuit.    That's my take.

Mendel[Deleted User][Deleted User]Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Iselin said:
    Their rep is already so tainted, anything released by them is gonna fall flat on its face.
    Oh I beg to differ.  This Kingdoms of Catastophe thing will be released... because everyone who downloads it has now received "software" from them and that may allow Xsolla cover in the lawsuit.    That's my take.

... while simultaneously allowing someone to olé! justice.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2021
    Iselin said:

I was responding to the "fall flat on its face" as if it were a legit game that people on Steam might buy.

I know exactly what he's up to so his max "sales" is already predetermined by the number of qualifying "backers."

Also with all the documented historical data of "it's over... oh wait, it isn't" good luck selling any judge on this being a legit deliverable that invalidates refunds. For one thing, the refunds were requested long before this thing sees the light of day. Details such as dates matter to judges.
    Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    So, where do sign up?

;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Not sure if anyone here noticed, but he's now going with a Unity front end instead of Unreal, states so at around the 3:20 mark.

Probably easier to get free assets for.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Not sure if anyone here noticed, but he's now going with a Unity front end instead of Unreal, states so at around the 3:20 mark.

Wait... you WATCHED that?

WTH...
    Were you taken prisoner?
    [Deleted User]KyleranScotWellspring[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I'm gonna do the Covid-19 thing and not get near that game!
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2021
    There was so much vague BS'ing that i seriously had no clue wtf was said,so i have to watch it a second time and hope that something becomes more clear.I sort of feel like Mark jacobs just made another video lol.

I didn't see anything,i saw a few npc's and one model house or mini shanty.All i got out of this was you need to somehow get npc's on your side but if you die in the meantime...start over lol.

So in essence ,he could have made this video day 1 and tells me the same thing....nothing.

IDK maybe if i watch it again 2-3x i might catch something,like the cold or the flu idk wtf.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited February 2021
    Geesus Louise,he keeps throwing that BS vague talk in between sentences to create mumbo jumbo of BS.

So i am watching a second time and right away....vagueness.
    SO i try to follow some key phrases ...words.

"In order to do that you must recruit npc's with vital skills to your colony".So how does one grow their economy when it sounds like each players goal is to steal from the other player and atttack the other player?
    He mentiones keep good relations and that would mean mostly real players,so what bribe them not to attack you?Oh wait you can't bribe them because you have no real colony yet.Resource management,so this entire system favors SIZE,the bigger your clan the more power,the more control.

Talk about discouraging players from wanting to join.So then the goal is to be the ruler and be in control of handing out deeds and so on,run the colony.This does NOT work...EVER,no gamer wants to be ruled by another gamer,just the thought of it is retarded.This exact same mistake is being done in that Ashes of creation game,peopel do NOT want to be slaves to other players,WAKE UP devs.

Furthermore if people are causing havoc for each other ,you will never gain npc favor,people stealing each others npc's it sounds to me like a recipe for constant failure.

Maybe if he quits with the in between BS talk and gets straight to the point i might grasp a better picture of what exactly is going on.I am not watching it a third time,don't tell me about the goals of COE or what people like or don't like,get to the POINT !!!.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

The goals of COE have always been.....bla bla
    We hope to achieve bla bla
    Players expect from us bla bla....

Grrr don't make me get out of this chair.

Kyleran said:

Wait... you WATCHED that?

WTH...
    Were you taken prisoner?
    Naw, someone on the COE reddit clued me in.
    Wellspring[Deleted User]

• pifias2pifias2 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Lmao. This standalone project is done in unity 3D while COE was done in Unreal Engine 4. How can he even pretend that what is worked on this project could literally work for unreal engine and be its backbone.

Its like saying New World open world will be done in lumberyard but the pvp system will be done in whatever other game engine you can think of and then merge both engines to make the whole thing. Sheer stupidity. Yet he fooled people into believing his lies and hell probably fool the lawyers too.
    Scot[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited February 2021
    Hmm, I guess people paid $20k for land and titles in a single-player game  :joy: I don't think it's going to end well for the dev
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2021
    pifias2 said:
    Lmao. This standalone project is done in unity 3D while COE was done in Unreal Engine 4. How can he even pretend that what is worked on this project could literally work for unreal engine and be its backbone.

Its like saying New World open world will be done in lumberyard but the pvp system will be done in whatever other game engine you can think of and then merge both engines to make the whole thing. Sheer stupidity. Yet he fooled people into believing his lies and hell probably fool the lawyers too.
    I nearly gave you a Welcome to the Forums! Clearly you can offer something to the conversation we need more than 3 posts in two years. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
    [Deleted User]
  • bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    yikes. No one wants this game.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Scot said:
    pifias2 said:

I nearly gave your a Welcome to the Forums! Clearly you can offer something to the conversation we need more than 3 posts in two years. :)
    I see @Scot is on sentry duty and is right on the case.
    Scot

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Astropuyo said:
    I like the part where people take a risk on a stupid project and donate 20 bucks then demand blood.

I suspect those that only put in $20 have long since written off that paltry investment and couldn't care less at this point.

It will be those that purchased more expensive tiers beating the drums of war, and it is not uncommon for those to cost in the hundreds and sometimes thousands depending on the project in question. I have no idea how high those for CoE got, but I'm sure some options were quite expensive.

Still, I'm surprised a lawsuit is being pursued at all considering the risk knowingly taken when putting money into what might, or not, eventually be. I think the chance of success would be so low as to clearly not be worth the bother. It could be that whatever pain the process inflicts is the goal such that the outcome wasn't a concern.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Astropuyo said:
    I like the part where people take a risk on a stupid project and donate 20 bucks then demand blood.

I suspect those that only put in $20 have long since written off that paltry investment and couldn't care less at this point.

It will be those that purchased more expensive tiers beating the drums of war, and it is not uncommon for those to cost in the hundreds and sometimes thousands depending on the project in question. I have no idea how high those for CoE got, but I'm sure some options were quite expensive.

Still, I'm surprised a lawsuit is being pursued at all considering the risk knowingly taken when putting money into what might, or not, eventually be. I think the chance of success would be so low as to clearly not be worth the bother. It could be that whatever pain the process inflicts is the goal such that the outcome wasn't a concern.
    There's a fair chance that the lawsuit could be profitable thanks to Xsolla's terms that allow them to go after Xsolla for refunds.
    GdemamiKyleran

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Iselin said:

That was my initial take too, but then I re-read the Xsolla refund policy and I don't know now.

"Item is not received – refund is allowed. In case of pre-orders, which have not been delivered yet, you may get a refund at any time up to the day of the game release; after the game is released general rules of refunds are applicable."

No one pre-ordered a RTS game called "Kingdoms of Elyria", err I mean "Catastrophe" (that's a good one lol). The MMORPG has not released yet, so I feel like even if you play the free RTS version it won't count?

Trying to think of it in a more general case... I pre-ordered a digital book. The book is delayed. While waiting for the book, the author gives all pre-orders a free copy of a companion encyclopedia to go along with the book. Book gets cancelled. Pre-order is satisfied? I don't think any judge would side w/ the author on that, but maybe I'm naive.

Gdemami
    --------------------------------------------
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    The map shown around minute mark 2 looks a lot like Eastern Kingdom lol.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    How could they get several years and millions of dollars into development and not even have some half-baked pre-alpha that they could release and declare the game "launched"?  Maybe it would be single-player, and it would probably be a buggy mess, but how can they not even have a demo to "launch"?
    WellspringGdemami
    Quizzical said:
    How could they get several years and millions of dollars into development and not even have some half-baked pre-alpha that they could release and declare the game "launched"?  Maybe it would be single-player, and it would probably be a buggy mess, but how can they not even have a demo to "launch"?
    This is just my personal opinion:

Because the entire development team proved to be inept.  The project management from the very beginning was a joke.   They started, stopped, restarted, refocused countless times.   Massive amounts of work was tossed at each step.  There was zero accountability because it was done with money provided with no oversite.  Go back and check, his "State of Elyria" updates would list a bunch of stuff they were supposed to be working on, but those were barely (if at all) mentioned in the next update.  He just mentioned new, different shiny's and people followed right along.  When you bounce back and forth between "JOUSTING!!!!" to "CRAFTING!!" to "KINGDOM MANAGEMENT" to "PARKOUR".. you end up with very little, if anything... in a useable state and a lot of wasted time and effort.  I mean, the fact that this new Kingdoms of Catastrophe concept is shown in Unity when they were using Unreal right up until he closed/just kidding his studio should speak wonders to that...

Maybe @JeromyWalsh will be kind enough to answer your question directly.

xpsyncMendelGdemamiKyleran

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    zero accountability
    It's why there will never be a Star Citizen, Pantheon, Camelot Unchained, they all got paid already and still being paid. and with Zero Accountability as long as you keep pretending you're working on it, no recourse like poor old dumb as fuck Jerom or whatever that semi human pos f's name is, why work, just enjoy living off peoples dreams.
    Gdemami
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Quizzical said:

Poor management?
    Gdemami
    --------------------------------------------
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    I wish this site would refrain from posting 'news' from this particular effort.  This will not result in a game of any form or fashion, and perpetuating this scam only increases the likelihood that other people will buy into this, costing other people money.  It does not deserve the attention of this site.  This site should treat this development project, the supposed company behind it and the principal operator as non-entities.

I thought the same thing at first but the comments from the community add weight to the moronic nature of this business. I have to admit when I am looking for information on a game, I often head to the comment section first to see the general reaction.  

I look at comments and player feedback, too.  But there are those that don't, and some number of those will eventually be asked to fund this project again.  They will be hurt, like so many others before.  'News' (read: press releases) from this company aren't things this site should be covering.

(Even if snow cone franchises spring up in hell and this mess actually turns into a released game, it probably won't be a game this site's members would likely be interested in).

(Did anyone else think that the 'footage' in the video could likely have come from almost any video tool thrown together by a graphic arts student?  It certainly did to me.)

Ya, people, naive and dumb, will get burned thats a fact but smart people will take a min and read the comments. It sad to see. It does raise the question on if or how you report on stuff like this. 
    When we had the first article like this I was firmly in the lets hear what CoE has to say camp, but as each new article (we have only had a couple since then) appears I shift more to the enough is enough camp. It is a tricky one, is the site going to continue to have articles about litigation without hearing anything from CoE? I feel that would be one sided even though Jeremy avoids talking about anything relating to litigation.

CoE still does not seem to be selling anything, I assume the KS is closed? So as long as that's the case I think they should carry on reporting. When he does start doing so I think the site should call a day on CoE.
    Gdemami