Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

guilty pleasure mmo

Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 3,120
There's games out there that have small followings or very niche audience. Some of those games are frowned upon either by content, developer or publisher. 

Right now I've circled back to  my guilty pleasure of Conqueror's Blade and Skyforge. These two games for some reason just latch onto me and give me some fun and joy.

What is your guilty pleasure mmo ? :D 
- abandoning social media could possibly save the world.  

UngoodNanfoodle

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,193
    I never feel guilty playing a MMO but an MMO I always end up returning too is SW-KtoR. They have messed up the game by making it too easy to dumb things down to get more players. So combat gets old fast but it had awesome story. So every now and then, I sub for 1-3 months and burn though a class story and play the newest story content. By then I am burnt out on button mashing as no matter what skills you use, you win. 
    Mars_OMGUngoodTorval
  • Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Nanfoodle said:
    I never feel guilty playing a MMO but an MMO I always end up returning too is SW-KtoR. They have messed up the game by making it too easy to dumb things down to get more players. So combat gets old fast but it had awesome story. So every now and then, I sub for 1-3 months and burn though a class story and play the newest story content. By then I am burnt out on button mashing as no matter what skills you use, you win. 
    I did that as well, even subbed to swtor but once I got on the treadmill, never again with that one xD 

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,211
    I dunno if I would call any of the MMO's I play a "Guilty Pleasure"
    NanfoodleTorvalMMOExposed
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member UncommonPosts: 1,080
    Mine is easily Mortal Online 1 and now 2. I just love them :) 
    Mars_OMGUngoodCryomatrix

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,617
    I have no Guilt , I understand it far to well
    TorvalMars_OMGUngoodScotMMOExposed
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,448
    Interesting, since it could be translated several ways...

For the most basic one, I have none. As others mentioned too, the feeling is never part of the play.

You also add small audience or niche. In that sense, all of them :) 
    As Eyeore said in an another thread, my MMORPG opinion doesn't count, because of I don't play the "big, successful games". (as if that'd have any connection to quality...)

All the games I enjoyed -or still do, on a daily basis- were niche or small audience, besides the launch rush honeymoon phase ofc. And in some cases like TSW it was niche right from the start.

Frowned upon, maybe that's the most interesting aspect.
    Totally subjective ofc (I frown upon Wow and ESO, while they're apparently "big, successful games" :) ), but you can look at the vox populi, the consesus - even if the masses are usually dumb to the lowest common denominator...

Anyhow, in this sense I'd say RaiderZ and Dragon's Prophet. Not a precise answer to "What is your", since both are cancelled now, but while they were kicking one could say they were guilty pleasure.
    Small audience, generally frowned upon, and were great fun to play.

If we can look back even farther in time, Auto Assault was kinda guilty pleasure too, huge fun, very niche, and frowned upon by the generic Wow popularity wave of '06...
    Mars_OMG
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 6,450
    All MMOs are guilty pleasures.

/thread.
    Mars_OMGGdemamiMMOExposed
    Po_gg said:
    Interesting, since it could be translated several ways...

For the most basic one, I have none. As others mentioned too, the feeling is never part of the play.

You also add small audience or niche. In that sense, all of them :) 
    As Eyeore said in an another thread, my MMORPG opinion doesn't count, because of I don't play the "big, successful games". (as if that'd have any connection to quality...)

All the games I enjoyed -or still do, on a daily basis- were niche or small audience, besides the launch rush honeymoon phase ofc. And in some cases like TSW it was niche right from the start.

Frowned upon, maybe that's the most interesting aspect.
    Totally subjective ofc (I frown upon Wow and ESO, while they're apparently "big, successful games" :) ), but you can look at the vox populi, the consesus - even if the masses are usually dumb to the lowest common denominator...

Anyhow, in this sense I'd say RaiderZ and Dragon's Prophet. Not a precise answer to "What is your", since both are cancelled now, but while they were kicking one could say they were guilty pleasure.
    Small audience, generally frowned upon, and were great fun to play.

If we can look back even farther in time, Auto Assault was kinda guilty pleasure too, huge fun, very niche, and frowned upon by the generic Wow popularity wave of '06...
    I played RaidZ and thought it had decent graphics. Dragon's Prophet would definitely fit in a guilty pleasure imho :D. I missed out on Auto Assualt. by played the other robot game which I forgot the name..
    Po_gg

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,448
    Mars_OMG said:
    Dragon's Prophet would definitely fit in a guilty pleasure imho :D. I missed out on Auto Assualt. by played the other robot game which I forgot the name..
    It really fits, right? And they even deliberately played on it
    https://youtu.be/2NGbSw_UYgU
    8 years have passed, and still one of the best MMORPG trailers out there :D

AA was easy to miss out, only ran for about a year, in an era where the genre was in the inflation phase, tons of MMORPGs have launched at that time, chasing the Wow success.
    Unfortunate, since AA was a great game, much ahead of its time and still nothing stepped in its place.
    Crossout has the vehicle building and pvp combat, but as a simple action game it's missing the entire MMORPG aspect (open world, missions, group content), and the entire "on-foot" part (walking around towns, NPCs and missions, etc.).
    Mars_OMG
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,556
    Isn't this terminology women use for chocolates or chick-lit? Luckily guys are not so concerned with singing from the same song sheet or following fashion as 'birds of a feather' are. If you like something enjoy it, don't worry about what your peers might think. :)
    AsheramMars_OMG

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 4,718
    Valheim
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,092
    Project entropia

ScotMars_OMG
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,191
    Asheram said:
    Valheim
    is that a MMO?
    Gdemami

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,191
    we talking about MMOs we believe are Bad, but still have elements that you cant get elsewhere?

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 1,519
    we talking about MMOs we believe are Bad, but still have elements that you cant get elsewhere?

The topic is MMOs that are widely viewed as bad inherently, or have bad elements associated with them like an infamous publisher, but you play anyway despite that as it draws you in for whatever reason.
    Mars_OMG
    Project entropia

This is another one, even more so when you put money into it lol...

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,092
    edited February 28
    Mars_OMG said:
    Project entropia

This is another one, even more so when you put money into it lol...
    You know if i put 32k of my money into project entropia 5 years ago instead of the stock market, id probably have 50+k in value by now instead of 20k.

Only game witb a real cash economy. 

P.s. i let someone else pick my stocks cuz im dumb as shit. 
    Mars_OMG
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • remsleepremsleep Member EpicPosts: 1,967
    edited March 1
    For me it's BDO

I feel dirty even logging in  - but its ok in small doses. I've lifeskilled my way to riches so not using the cash shop - but this took a long time