Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They Are Coming Out this Year!

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,853
    AlBQuirky said:
    Neither MMO has caught my attention. I doubt I'll be playing them as they release.

I'm not sure, but I think the kickstarter MMO City of Titans (CoH successor?) may... may release this year, or at least starting beta testing. As you can tell, I'm not keeping up with it all :)

It's hard to keep up when the release goalposts keep moving.
    blueturtle13Kyleranfrancis_baudtzervo
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member RarePosts: 557
    edited February 10
    I'll wait 4 months post launch for both games to see true feedback and health.  There are going to be a ton of ghost servers by then for NW and players begging for transfers.

Likely, I'll catch up on my huge backlog of single player games and play my go to MMOs causually.
    KylerantzervoAlBQuirkyNanfoodle
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,613
    edited February 10
    I'll wait 4 months post launch for both games to see true feedback and health.  There are going to be a ton of ghost servers by then for NW and players begging for transfers.

Likely, I'll catch up on my huge backlog of single player games and play my go to MMOs causually.

If I get 4+ months of fun out of a game that I've paid $40 for, it's already a win for me.

If you keep on waiting for the ideal MMO that will once again keep you entertained for 5+ years, then you're most likely wasting your time and going to never play another game...
    AlBQuirkyYashaXGdemamiILLISET
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,183
    I've played Crowfall, and it's a really good game, all things said and done. Not my flavor, but a great game for those that would enjoy that.

New World, meh. As I have seen it is, it is a surprisingly well made pile of directionless trash.
    francis_baudAlBQuirkyGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
    edited February 10

If I get 4+ months of fun out of a game that I've paid $40 for, it's already a win for me.

If you keep on waiting for the ideal MMO that will once again keep you entertained for 5+ years, then you're most likely wasting your time and going to never play another game...
    If it's dead after a few months, it's not a good MMORPG.  I'm not investing 60-100hrs of my time leveling a character to a dead end in a frustrating experience (or uninstalling after 20hrs and wasting money)... better games out there already.  Poor strawman.
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
    edited February 10

If it's dead after a few months, it's not a good MMORPG.  I'm not investing 60-100hrs of my time leveling a character to a dead end in a frustrating experience (or uninstalling after 20hrs and wasting money)... better games out there already.  Poor strawman.

Every single second you invest in a game is lost for everything else anyway... I hope you realize that, right ? Playing a game = wasted, non constructive game. It's all virtual.

The only purpose is to have fun, and a game that gives me 4+ months of that is a good investment in my book.

PS: I invite you to revisit what "strawman" means ;)
    Gdemami
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,183

I am strangely ok with this.

If I need to keep wandering back to DDO after trying some other flash in the pan game, I'm cool with that scenario.

That is also why I am not looking that hard for anything else coming out. If something cool does come out that can suck me in and be the next place I can call home.. great.

If not, no loss.

Might call it vacation gaming, where I leave my main game for a bit, to see some new place, and then come back.
    tzervoAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
    NanfoodleAsheramtzervoAlBQuirkyILLISET

• elgenkabolelgenkabol Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Elyon MMORPG First Impressions "Is It Worth Playing?" - YouTube

Combat looks solid just depends on what they do with the cash shop. Also Lost Ark may be out this year depending on how fast amazon can get it published.
    tzervoAlBQuirkyfrancis_baud
    edited February 10

Every single second you invest in a game is lost for everything else anyway... I hope you realize that, right ? Playing a game = wasted, non constructive game. It's all virtual.

The only purpose is to have fun, and a game that gives me 4+ months of that is a good investment in my book.

PS: I invite you to revisit what "strawman" means ;)
    Yes strawman.  You state I'm looking for an ideal MMO that I can play for 5+ years.  Neither I said,  neither are true for me... all to deflect that I want to wait to see if they are buggy, content lite, mess of games that people abandon in droves like past failed MMORPG launches.

"Straw man
    is one type of logical fallacy. Straw man occurs when someone argues that a person holds a view that is actually not what the other person believes. ... So, instead of attacking the person's actual statement or belief, it is the distorted version that is attacked."
    ----

In terms of gaming time, mine is not unlimited... like my comment said, I have quality games that I can play that are vetted with reviews and players.   No reason not to let NW and Crowfall bake a few months... if they are great, they should be around... if they are abandoned that fast... they were terrible... and no, you likely did not enjoy your 4 months in that scenario.
    tzervoAlBQuirkyGdemami
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member UncommonPosts: 596
    Having played both, both will equally fail on a principal of being good mmorpgs. Will there be players that play them? Yeah, but people play and advocate for Gw2. I belive both will be remembered as the half-assed attempts that they are.
    AlBQuirky

MurderHerd

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 330
    Having played both, both will equally fail on a principal of being good mmorpgs. Will there be players that play them? Yeah, but people play and advocate for Gw2. I belive both will be remembered as the half-assed attempts that they are.
    What do you find is lacking (or badly executed) in CF and NW?
    AlBQuirky
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,804
    edited February 12
    Ungood said:
    I've played Crowfall, and it's a really good game, all things said and done. Not my flavor, but a great game for those that would enjoy that.

New World, meh. As I have seen it is, it is a surprisingly well made pile of directionless trash.

I think a problem for both games is related to what you said above: "a great game for those that would enjoy that". The key question being what exactly is "that". They both seem to suffer from something of an identity crisis, failing to offer anything better or as good as already released mmos in terms of pvp or pve. 

Personally I liked CF's classes and skills better than what NW offered, but sadly everything about the game is just so rough, disjointed, and barely functional.

AlBQuirky
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited February 12
    I've been playing Crowfall through the various dev stages for five years or so.  It's not what I would call bad, but I get where the guy is coming from when he said it's just not their cup of tea.  I wanted to like this, but it's just not to my tastes.  I'll probably try New World because I like to try everything.  I'm not super excited, but it's mostly because I still don't understand what it is and why I should want to play.  The world seems cool, though.
    francis_baudUngoodAlBQuirkyJean-Luc_PicardGdemami
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,079
    New World looks more my style than Crowfall, so that's where I am leaning.  Honestly, New World looks like the only thing coming up that will steal my attention from City of Heroes and Ship of Heroes, except maybe CyberPunk 2077, once it is playable on a less than $10,000 computer...
    AlBQuirky

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,055
    Having played Crowfall quite extensively, I know it's not a game for me. It's also... not "really" a MMORPG in the "massive" way, the way it works is kinda strange with all those separate rather small worlds. I still have the icon on my desktop, but I can't get the motivation to launch it.

New World though... can't wait to return to that game. Most immersive world in a MMORPG since a long time. I just hope they won't destroy the game while trying to make it better...

In the meantime, I'm also playing "Valheim", that game is awesome.
    MMORPG's aren't "Massive". The word is specifically "Massively". You confuse people when you change the word as "Massive" could mean the players avatar is huge, it could mean the world is huge, it could mean lots of different things. Massively however is an adverb and is quantifying the Multiplayer portion. The world can be small in an MMO. It doesn't even have to be persistent (MMORPG's typically require persistence though). It just needs a massive quantity of people in one shared world. If Crowfall is only hosting 64 players a world, its not an MMO at all. It may still retain the RPG portion though.
    KyleranScotAlBQuirkyGdemami
    edited February 17
    madazz said:
    Having played Crowfall quite extensively, I know it's not a game for me. It's also... not "really" a MMORPG in the "massive" way, the way it works is kinda strange with all those separate rather small worlds. I still have the icon on my desktop, but I can't get the motivation to launch it.

New World though... can't wait to return to that game. Most immersive world in a MMORPG since a long time. I just hope they won't destroy the game while trying to make it better...

MMORPG's aren't "Massive". The word is specifically "Massively". You confuse people when you change the word as "Massive" could mean the players avatar is huge, it could mean the world is huge, it could mean lots of different things. Massively however is an adverb and is quantifying the Multiplayer portion. The world can be small in an MMO. It doesn't even have to be persistent (MMORPG's typically require persistence though). It just needs a massive quantity of people in one shared world. If Crowfall is only hosting 64 players a world, its not an MMO at all. It may still retain the RPG portion though.

I confuse nothing.
    And before you start on more English lessons, massive and massively have the same root...
    But whatever, everybody has his own definition and I stopped caring about the nonsensical ones. Crowfall isn't a MMORPG, in my book, and that's good enough for me. Just like GW1 never was a MMORPG.
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    KyleranTorvalNanfoodleAlBQuirky

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,534
    madazz said:

I confuse nothing.
    And before you start on more English lessons, massive and massively have the same root...
    But whatever, everybody has his own definition and I stopped cared about the nonsensical ones. Crowfall isn't a MMORPG, in my book, and that's good enough for me. Just like GW1 never was a MMORPG.
    Don't get me started on Massively! :)
    francis_baudJean-Luc_PicardAlBQuirky

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,576
    edited February 17
    Most people discuss games being an mmo based on nothing more than a login screen.

If you -are playing these games solo and they are designed to solo,they are SINGLE player games with a massive login screen.
    I don't get excited for ANY game coming out because the trend has been early access and or messy half assed releases that might as well be called early access.

This isn't even really new,business have been operating like that for the last 50 years,get your product out sooner rather than later because everyday is money.
    The last game i bought that was bug free,complete and i enjoyed it was Dishonored.I have purchased way more disappointments the last 10 years than games that left me satisfied.

AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,835
    madazz said:

Does Crowfall really have a player cap of 64? Or is that just speculation?

I had heard that the developers were struggling with the Unity engine, trying to get it up to mmo numbers, but 64 would be a real kick in the teeth. I could understand such a cap in relation to the Eternal Kingdoms, they are, after all, player-owned sandbox mini-worlds, but I thought the proper campaigns were still supposed to be massively multiplayer.

If it really has a cap of 64, then I definitely won't be playing. I only play single player, couch-coop, or massively multiplayer. Normal multiplayer numbers don't interest me one bit.
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • tzervotzervo Member RarePosts: 938
    Hee hee, given the recent news maybe the title of the thread should be "Are they coming out this year?"  o:)
    KyleranScotAlBQuirkyILLISET
    madazz said:

I had heard that the developers were struggling with the Unity engine, trying to get it up to mmo numbers, but 64 would be a real kick in the teeth. I could understand such a cap in relation to the Eternal Kingdoms, they are, after all, player-owned sandbox mini-worlds, but I thought the proper campaigns were still supposed to be massively multiplayer.

If it really has a cap of 64, then I definitely won't be playing. I only play single player, couch-coop, or massively multiplayer. Normal multiplayer numbers don't interest me one bit.
    If I'm correct, each campaign world is split between ~10 smaller worlds that can host about 150 players (100? 200?). But I think this limit will only exist during the development, until performances have improved. At some point they may also make worlds bigger, when more players participate in the campaigns.

KylerantzervoAlBQuirky
    madazz said:

If I'm correct, each campaign world is split between ~10 smaller worlds that can host about 150 players (100? 200?). But I think this limit will only exist during the development, until performances have improved. At some point they may also make worlds bigger, when more players participate in the campaigns.

The worlds aren't coherent either - a world is just smaller separated islands.
    NanfoodleYashaXAlBQuirky

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,193
    madazz said:

Spining shards of an area does not make it a Missive, as in MMO. I dont like fighting over terms but you really do need a world or at least a large continent to really be an MMO. The time to travel should be consuming.  
    Jean-Luc_PicardYashaXAlBQuirkyGdemami
    madazz said:

Yea the game relies on portals to move from an island to the other afaik.
    KyleranAlBQuirky