Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon blew 2 Billion failing to make an MMO.. Soo. If you had 2 Billion, what would you make?

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,183
    Setting however, I would want to do High Fantasy Steam Punk. As I see it, there is just not enough Steam Punk settings for MMO's and they have such great grounds for a campaign setting.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,383
    I’d like to make a game set on an Earth sized world. Imagine pasting 100’s or 1000’s of server zones/chunks together into a single world. Take the foundation of your favourite game and tack on a couple billion worth of content.
    UngoodGdemamiAlBQuirkyAmaranthar

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,576
    edited February 8
    If i was asked to build a game with little restriction on time and money then i would want to hire 3-5 skilled people to converse my ideas with,ask for feedback and listen to their own ideas.This would take likely 3-4 months to draw up the entire game design.I despise studios thjat just try to "wing it" on shoe string budegets.

I would build one of two design only,a mmorpg or a fully implemented space/travel/universe game.
    i have already seen really good ideas that work and done by very small teams so that is a place where i would begin to look .
    So let's say a mmorpg because a space /travel/universe like game is much bigger scope and would take a lot more work to build.

If i am in charge i am not concerned with big profits like all the greedy corps,i am concerned with making a small profit to keep things going,my main goal would be to make the best mmorpg ever.

no way could i draw up an entire HQ game in a forum but i can say that it would be part survival game part rpg and full of realism and interaction.

UngoodAlBQuirkyAmaranthar

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,835
    First thought is I'd love to build my idea for a full virtual reality exo-suit. That alone may take all 2 billion.

If I had money left over, I'd then build games for that VR setup.

If the exo-suit idea isn't possible, I'd build a sandpark MMORPG set in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Sage universe.

It's high fantasy which i love, the world is massive with loads of different races and cultures, perfect for long term. Whilst there are two alpha heroes (Pug and Tomas), most of the other characters are just pretty normal, making it a good setting for an mmo. The time scales are also really long in the books (think 9 years pass in the first book alone) which makes it easier to fit in with the game: just pick a period in the books and stay there til an expansion.

Loads of ideas about the systems I'd want in the game, but not much point writing them all out, would take many pages!
    UngoodGdemamiAlBQuirkyBrainy
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,542
    Creating ideas for a game is not hard, but implementing them is. You have to have people who know how to make those ideas into reality and that is where the money comes into play. You want real talented game designers, you're going to have to learn to shred some of that CEO earnings and pay your developers more than $50,000 a year.

Jon Smedley isn't a game designer, he's a CEO. He will take credit for helping design EverQuest, but his actual level of participation has always been strictly administrative. I don't think he has a creative bone in his body, but he does care about earning money, which Amazon apparently has tons of.

Jeff Bezos net worth as of 2021 is $185 billion. Of course he just recently stepped down as CEO, but even if 2 billion were just a drop in the bucket, it's still cringeworthy to think even Smedley couldn't create a viable product with that amount of money.

Minecraft was created by one person with very little money and eventually sold for billions. So, if you want to spend 2 billion on making games, you should hire a game designer, not some bureaucratic moron who doesn't have a clue in game design.

Game design requires passion, not money. However, money does help to speed the process along.
    UngoodiixviiiixGdemamiAlBQuirkyAmarantharBrainy

laserit said:
    I’d like to make a game set on an Earth sized world. Imagine pasting 100’s or 1000’s of server zones/chunks together into a single world. Take the foundation of your favourite game and tack on a couple billion worth of content.
    That sounds pretty cool.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
    Wizardry said:
    If i was asked to build a game with little restriction on time and money then i would want to hire 3-5 skilled people to converse my ideas with,ask for feedback and listen to their own ideas.This would take likely 3-4 months to draw up the entire game design.I despise studios thjat just try to "wing it" on shoe string budegets.

I would build one of two design only,a mmorpg or a fully implemented space/travel/universe game.
    i have already seen really good ideas that work and done by very small teams so that is a place where i would begin to look .
    So let's say a mmorpg because a space /travel/universe like game is much bigger scope and would take a lot more work to build.

If i am in charge i am not concerned with big profits like all the greedy corps,i am concerned with making a small profit to keep things going,my main goal would be to make the best mmorpg ever.

no way could i draw up an entire HQ game in a forum but i can say that it would be part survival game part rpg and full of realism and interaction.

It sounds like you would work from a solid foundation. Respected.
    Gdemami
    First thought is I'd love to build my idea for a full virtual reality exo-suit. That alone may take all 2 billion.

If the exo-suit idea isn't possible, I'd build a sandpark MMORPG set in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Sage universe.

It's high fantasy which i love, the world is massive with loads of different races and cultures, perfect for long term. Whilst there are two alpha heroes (Pug and Tomas), most of the other characters are just pretty normal, making it a good setting for an mmo. The time scales are also really long in the books (think 9 years pass in the first book alone) which makes it easier to fit in with the game: just pick a period in the books and stay there til an expansion.

Loads of ideas about the systems I'd want in the game, but not much point writing them all out, would take many pages!
    There was a Force-Feedback VR suit on Kickstarter, so you could work with them, and see what has been done. Pretty cool stuff.

I am wagering Riftwars is a Book series? I am not sure, it could be an Anime, or something else.
    AlBQuirky
    Rhoklaw said:
    Creating ideas for a game is not hard, but implementing them is. You have to have people who know how to make those ideas into reality and that is where the money comes into play. You want real talented game designers, you're going to have to learn to shred some of that CEO earnings and pay your developers more than $50,000 a year.

Jon Smedley isn't a game designer, he's a CEO. He will take credit for helping design EverQuest, but his actual level of participation has always been strictly administrative. I don't think he has a creative bone in his body, but he does care about earning money, which Amazon apparently has tons of.

Jeff Bezos net worth as of 2021 is $185 billion. Of course he just recently stepped down as CEO, but even if 2 billion were just a drop in the bucket, it's still cringeworthy to think even Smedley couldn't create a viable product with that amount of money.

Minecraft was created by one person with very little money and eventually sold for billions. So, if you want to spend 2 billion on making games, you should hire a game designer, not some bureaucratic moron who doesn't have a clue in game design.

Game design requires passion, not money. However, money does help to speed the process along.
    Well this form is not lacking in passion, that is for sure, which is why I asked here.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,609
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    The game I would make for me and my tastes will not sell at all well in today's market. I'd rather buy an island somewhere :)
    Tell me about it anyway.
    A strategic combat game with a lot of XCom fights. Pirate101 tried this, but was not very good at explaining exactly what a player can do in one turn. There would be "normal WASD" movement out of combat, but once combat is joined in, turn based.

The setting I'm unsure about. Almost anything would work for me, but I do tend to lean more towards fantasy settings. I like "magic."

I do enjoy crafting and wouldn't mind a game with a heavy dose of intricate crafting modules. I also enjoy exploring so an "Earth based" setting would be kind of boring, knowing our Earth. I also enjoy home building and/or city building. Creating a home to live in is a worthwhile goal for me.

I doubt if either PvP or raids would be included. If they did show up, it would be for other players, not me. Also, true RNG would not be used so that 4 shots at 90%+ in a row are missed, as XCom has too frequently.

That's a start. More as I think more on it :)
    Ungood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,609
    edited February 8

Riftwar is a setting begging to be realized, IMHO. The "rifts" traverse the universe(s) though uncountable worlds. This makes for endless content as each new world could realized :)

[edit]
    PS: Ungood, yes this is a massive series of books. I think there are easily 15-20 in the series covering so many characters and worlds :)
    tzervo

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,349
    laserit said:
    I'd love a truly huge world. Much larger than anything seen so far. But that seems like overkill. lol

AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• WargfootWargfoot Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited February 8
    I'd recast the original Ultima Online into the style/mechanics of CardLife.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    AlBQuirky said:

Riftwar is a setting begging to be realized, IMHO. The "rifts" traverse the universe(s) though uncountable worlds. This makes for endless content as each new world could realized :)

[edit]
    PS: Ungood, yes this is a massive series of books. I think there are easily 15-20 in the series covering so many characters and worlds :)
    sounds like Boundless
    tzervoAlBQuirky
  • HengistHengist Member UncommonPosts: 1,092
    Shadowrun Online......

That's a world that I'd like to explore, and it oughta be different than anything else out there. (Of course that's probably my mistake, building a game that I want to play, instead of a game that would be commercially successful...)
    UngoodAlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,835
    AlBQuirky said:

[edit]

Indeed, the Rifts and the Hall of Worlds opens up the possibility of travel to soooo many different worlds that the expansion possibilities are very numerous. Not to mention interaction with higher and lower planes of existence.

However, Feist's series of books suffered from the same fate as a lot of MMOs: too much vertical progression! (half joking)

"Escalation" is something I see as a big problem with long running series. Many writers seem to feel that if your heroes have conquered one bad guy, the next bad buy needs to be even bigger and badder.

That can work for a time, but for me personally, it always reaches a point where it is no longer relatable or believable. I would much rather the enemies stayed on a more consistent level, just using different methods so the heroes still have a hard time.

I think I've read nearly all of Feist's series set in Midkemia, but by the end it was a real struggle to get through it. You go from fighting invading armies from another world....but still all mortal and roughly equivalent..... to fighting armies from a lower plane of existence, near indistructable warrior demons, as well as fighting the mad god himself, sacrificing an entire planet in the process.

I have the same issues with what's happened with the Marvel films. I wasn't a big fan to begin with by really enjoyed the first 5 or so movies, they were somewhat relatable, but by the time I got to the end of the Avengers, I'd had enough, the escalation was too much for me and so i stopped caring.
    UngoodMendelAmarantharAlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,675
    Yes me too at some point I found it hard to get through his series and dropped them
    UngoodAmarantharAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,193
    Not a video game that's for sure........
    Ya, if I had that much money, I would stop working. Build a home with an in-law flat and play video games and look after my family. I would give Pantheon a cool mill for life time sub for me and my friends =-)
    AlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,306
    With $2 billion, I think I would start by building a gaming 'think-tank'.  Their goal would be to break away from the framework started by D&D.  I'd work with a different model of the human body, no HPs/Levels, and determine how injuries occur/heal/impair the body's functions.  Then they would formulate systems of extra-normal abilities (magic) based on scientific models and natural learning.  Lastly, I'd worry about physics - fire, lightning, ballistics, gravity, vacuum, etc.

That would be the basis of how to represent a character within a game.

Then I'd have that team formulate ideas (and systems) about storytelling, progression, personality, role playing and how to make these elements important to he player experiencing these elements and the people around that player.  Role playing shouldn't be something that everyone does; it should be something that affects people in contact with the world.

I'd then start an AI team to develop improved AI schemes for everything from personal feelings about the world around the characters, interpersonal relationships between characters, natural creatures, eco-systems, to 'civilized' opponent creatures (NPCs).  I'd have them produce truly dynamic behavior (at these multiple levels) that are drive the stories occurring in the game.  Things like a Plot with an originator, resources, actors, level of visibility (got to have secret plots to oppose the government), and goals.

Then I'd have the AI work on more dynamic interactions, like diplomacy, knowledge, and litigation, where the idea was to present an idea (in-game) and supporting arguments to convince another entity to 'change their mind'.  I could see this as some kind of state-engine to end all state-engines.

Then I'd start the game development.  I personally like fantasy, but I could also be interested in a futuristic space exploration game.  There would have to be various organizations (built along the Plot idea above) to implement governments, guilds, factions, individual interests, etc and populate the world.  I would definitely want to start with multiple governments (at country/state/local levels) and several far off threats that players wouldn't encounter for some time.

Governments and in-game guilds would be set up as Organizations, with specific roles within each organization.  Each of these roles have certain meta-operations to initiate Plots or Tasks to do some work.  If a town wanted to build a new flower garden with a fence, it could issue a task with material costs, deadlines, materials needed, effort required, specific skills required, etc.  The individual positions in a governments would start as NPC occupied positions, but there could be events for individuals to take up roles and make the appropriate meta-operations and initiate Plots as needed.

I'd also like to see a system for Events that could cover anything from social gatherings to recruitment drives to elections, with a way to announce these events with a dedicated (and controlled) persistent communication channel, for instance, a bill board that is put up to announce an event a minimum game days in advance (and at least 2 real life days) and would be taken down afterwards.  Individuals could also generate Events (given proper permission from the local government).

I'd want a robust system for estimating manual effort/Work within the game.  This would approximate the effort to do civic operations (like build walls or fences); to 'worshiping' the gods / 'studying' a problem; to physical endurance (how long a character could work and how quickly they would recover); to performing an ability (including combat, science/religion and magic/psionics).  This would need to define specific actions that a character could undertake, and any meta-operations that the game might need/desire like communications, voting, announcements, scheduling, etc.

The natural progression would be exploring the 'known' world with helping characters in the towns and planting to encountering natural threats (including environmental threats like wildfires and volcanoes) to dealing with dynamic relations among the known worlds to first encounters with the adversary races to conflict and conquest.

For the specific game, I'd envision a much larger game-world than any previously attempted, magnitudes larger.  Generate some terrain and populate the areas with organizations, NPC characters, local plots, transportation, etc.  I'd really want players to have 6 months of game time before they first encountered the minor adversaries. Ideally, I'd want to populate the entire world and run the dynamic systems at least one week before I allowed any characters to enter the world.  This should give some time for the dynamic processes to start tending toward unknown developments.

At the end, I'd hope to have 3 deliverables, a new character system (think a very robust, advanced Champions system for computer games) that could be licensed, an AI system and game framework that could be licensed, and one playable game, with the possibility to build more games.  Then I'd start on building other games based on the first deliverables (high-fantasy, semi-historical low-fantasy, Napoleonic, Early Modern, Modern, near future, horror, far future, dinosaurs, time travel, etc.)  (Not: that existing IPs can be entirely optional).

Then, there would be a massive lunch.

UngoodcheyanecameltosisAmarantharBrainyAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    With $2 billion, I think I would start by building a gaming 'think-tank'.  Their goal would be to break away from the framework started by D&D.  I'd work with a different model of the human body, no HPs/Levels, and determine how injuries occur/heal/impair the body's functions.  Then they would formulate systems of extra-normal abilities (magic) based on scientific models and natural learning.  Lastly, I'd worry about physics - fire, lightning, ballistics, gravity, vacuum, etc.

That would be the basis of how to represent a character within a game.

Then I'd have that team formulate ideas (and systems) about storytelling, progression, personality, role playing and how to make these elements important to he player experiencing these elements and the people around that player.  Role playing shouldn't be something that everyone does; it should be something that affects people in contact with the world.

I'd then start an AI team to develop improved AI schemes for everything from personal feelings about the world around the characters, interpersonal relationships between characters, natural creatures, eco-systems, to 'civilized' opponent creatures (NPCs).  I'd have them produce truly dynamic behavior (at these multiple levels) that are drive the stories occurring in the game.  Things like a Plot with an originator, resources, actors, level of visibility (got to have secret plots to oppose the government), and goals.

Then I'd have the AI work on more dynamic interactions, like diplomacy, knowledge, and litigation, where the idea was to present an idea (in-game) and supporting arguments to convince another entity to 'change their mind'.  I could see this as some kind of state-engine to end all state-engines.

Then I'd start the game development.  I personally like fantasy, but I could also be interested in a futuristic space exploration game.  There would have to be various organizations (built along the Plot idea above) to implement governments, guilds, factions, individual interests, etc and populate the world.  I would definitely want to start with multiple governments (at country/state/local levels) and several far off threats that players wouldn't encounter for some time.

Governments and in-game guilds would be set up as Organizations, with specific roles within each organization.  Each of these roles have certain meta-operations to initiate Plots or Tasks to do some work.  If a town wanted to build a new flower garden with a fence, it could issue a task with material costs, deadlines, materials needed, effort required, specific skills required, etc.  The individual positions in a governments would start as NPC occupied positions, but there could be events for individuals to take up roles and make the appropriate meta-operations and initiate Plots as needed.

I'd also like to see a system for Events that could cover anything from social gatherings to recruitment drives to elections, with a way to announce these events with a dedicated (and controlled) persistent communication channel, for instance, a bill board that is put up to announce an event a minimum game days in advance (and at least 2 real life days) and would be taken down afterwards.  Individuals could also generate Events (given proper permission from the local government).

I'd want a robust system for estimating manual effort/Work within the game.  This would approximate the effort to do civic operations (like build walls or fences); to 'worshiping' the gods / 'studying' a problem; to physical endurance (how long a character could work and how quickly they would recover); to performing an ability (including combat, science/religion and magic/psionics).  This would need to define specific actions that a character could undertake, and any meta-operations that the game might need/desire like communications, voting, announcements, scheduling, etc.

The natural progression would be exploring the 'known' world with helping characters in the towns and planting to encountering natural threats (including environmental threats like wildfires and volcanoes) to dealing with dynamic relations among the known worlds to first encounters with the adversary races to conflict and conquest.

For the specific game, I'd envision a much larger game-world than any previously attempted, magnitudes larger.  Generate some terrain and populate the areas with organizations, NPC characters, local plots, transportation, etc.  I'd really want players to have 6 months of game time before they first encountered the minor adversaries. Ideally, I'd want to populate the entire world and run the dynamic systems at least one week before I allowed any characters to enter the world.  This should give some time for the dynamic processes to start tending toward unknown developments.

At the end, I'd hope to have 3 deliverables, a new character system (think a very robust, advanced Champions system for computer games) that could be licensed, an AI system and game framework that could be licensed, and one playable game, with the possibility to build more games.  Then I'd start on building other games based on the first deliverables (high-fantasy, semi-historical low-fantasy, Napoleonic, Early Modern, Modern, near future, horror, far future, dinosaurs, time travel, etc.)  (Not: that existing IPs can be entirely optional).

Then, there would be a massive lunch.

I love your idea of non-combat progress and rewards.
    AlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,675
    Great topic @Ungood good responses by many. I am not creative. I am just a consumer. I do that best.
    UngoodMendeliixviiiixAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Great topic @Ungood good responses by many. I am not creative. I am just a consumer. I do that best.
    My wife says this a lot too.
    cheyaneAlBQuirky
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    The game I would make for me and my tastes will not sell at all well in today's market. I'd rather buy an island somewhere :)
    Tell me about it anyway.
    A strategic combat game with a lot of XCom fights. Pirate101 tried this, but was not very good at explaining exactly what a player can do in one turn. There would be "normal WASD" movement out of combat, but once combat is joined in, turn based.

The setting I'm unsure about. Almost anything would work for me, but I do tend to lean more towards fantasy settings. I like "magic."

I do enjoy crafting and wouldn't mind a game with a heavy dose of intricate crafting modules. I also enjoy exploring so an "Earth based" setting would be kind of boring, knowing our Earth. I also enjoy home building and/or city building. Creating a home to live in is a worthwhile goal for me.

I doubt if either PvP or raids would be included. If they did show up, it would be for other players, not me. Also, true RNG would not be used so that 4 shots at 90%+ in a row are missed, as XCom has too frequently.

That's a start. More as I think more on it :)
    Wait.. so it becomes Turn based combat once you get into a fight?
    AlBQuirky
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,613
    Stuff...

AlBQuirky
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,207
    edited February 9
    Honestly if i was given 2 US billions to make something , then i would like to make a easy to use game engine to support people to make they own game .

Because i can't think about anything interest to make a game that i want to play. because what point to play a game that i know all about it ?

that's what make minecraft successed . it was not only a contents to consume but also a tool to creative .

UngoodAlBQuirky