Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This thread is a short quip on what I have played; Need your counsel on what I should play now

ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45
edited February 2021 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

I’m not going to bore you with my life story or needless opinions, but the following is my experience, in a nutshell, with previous MMORPGs and perhaps your thoughts on what I should try next. I usually play “thief/assassin” or “tank” types. The date denotes the year I started playing. If you can relate, any input would help me out.

Ultima Online (1997) – You mean I get to play a fantasy game with/against other people? 

Dark Age of Camelot (1999) – Have to admit, facing a dual wielding axe Midgard Troll zerker was pretty exhilarating with my Armsman. 

World of Warcraft (2004) – Seemed ok, but a month playing didn’t draw me in. Any better now? I hear it’s still around. 

Dungeons and Dragons Online (2006) – Combat had a good pace, and had consequences. If you weren’t playing smart enough, you’d be dead pretty quick. 

Lord of the Rings Online (2007) – Great graphics, world immersion, and combat mechanics, and each problem had multiple solutions. Invested a lot of time into this one. 

Conan the Barbarian (2008) – Combat was clunky and sucked. But I was playing with a bad internet connection at the time. Still around? 

Rift (2011) – I have to admit, combat was just fast enough to satisfy, but not so much that you wonder what just happened to the boss that died in front of you before you blinked. Played this for a while. 

Guild Wars 2 (2012) – Lot of great concepts, like the seamless transition from one experience to another. But honestly, I got like 3 (or was it 5?) special abilities? Plus, all the bosses died so quickly. Got bored. Story seemed ok. Any different now? 

Elder Scrolls Online (2014) – Great combat mechanics. I just started playing again in the last month, but I have to ask, why am I limited to 5 abilities in one combat situation? It seems like a conduit to paper cutter (similar to Conan and GW2) builds. Blah. Still like the game though. 

And what happened to Camelot Unchained? 

Any ideas? I’ll try anything that may be suggested. Thanks.

-Reese

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
Playing: ESO

Post edited by ReeseFlamelocks on

Comments

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2021
    AoC ( conan the barbarian you called it)... lagged at launch for many players because of the graphics and some tech issues.  However, I played a assassin alt... epic game for that, especially pvp.  Yes still around, free to play, but with limited updates now more maintenance (crapload of content).  Still has a PvP and PVE server (pve has more players, and there you can pvp in matches).

A good Assassin was feared... big time.  I could destroy 2 v 1 sometimes 3 v1 if I was smart.  

I haven't played it recently, but if you quit because of the 2008 launch... it's free to play.

PS the combo system might not be for you, but it wasn't clunky... you had to time your next strikes in the combo.  Honestly, assassins had very short combos and it was all about movement (hitting the back, and avoiding their hits... like a dance... which pissed off a lot of keyboard turning players that came from WoW and other older games).

Po_gg
  • ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited February 2021
    AoC ( conan the barbarian you called it)... lagged at launch for many players because of the graphics and some tech issues.  However, I played a assassin alt... epic game for that, especially pvp.  Yes still around, free to play, but with limited updates now more maintenance (crapload of content).  Still has a PvP and PVE server (pve has more players, and there you can pvp in matches).

A good Assassin was feared... big time.  I could destroy 2 v 1 sometimes 3 v1 if I was smart.  

I haven't played it recently, but if you quit because of the 2008 launch... it's free to play.

PS the combo system might not be for you, but it wasn't clunky... you had to time your next strikes in the combo.  Honestly, assassins had very short combos and it was all about movement (hitting the back, and avoiding their hits... like a dance... which pissed off a lot of keyboard turning players that came from WoW and other older games).

TwistedSister77,

Actually, the combo system seems ideal, especially for the rogue-type.

Right, Age of Conan, not a reference to the 80s movies.

If I recall, it was still 5 hotkeys, or no?

edited February 2021
    Haha, ReeseFlamelocks said:

TwistedSister77,

Actually, the combo system seems ideal, especially for the rogue-type.

Right, Age of Conan, not a reference to the 80s movies.

Haha, loved the original Arnold movie :D

5 hotkeys, no.  You had a crap load of skills plus everything else you're managing (healpots, stealth). 

On every alt I had, including the assassin... I had a minimum of 15 things mapped that were used all the time (really 20+, but some are situational depending on opponents).

Playing the piano.

Someone can correct me, AoC also was one of the first AAA for "in combat" weapon swaps... which is important.  

If you want some complexity, give it a go.  You learn as you level.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171

Elder Scrolls Online (2014) – Great combat mechanics. I just started playing again in the last month, but I have to ask, why am I limited to 5 abilities in one combat situation? It seems like a conduit to paper cutter (similar to Conan and GW2) builds. Blah. Still like the game though. 

You aren't limited to five abilities. You are limited to five regular abilities and one ultimate ability per bar. The second bar becomes available at level 15 with the same number and type of slots as the first. You can swap between the bars at your whim.

Characters eventually have access to more abilities than can be slotted. This allows loadouts to be adapted to better face the challenges expected to be met in whatever content is currently being tackled.

Shortly a new Champion Point system is going to be introduced that will allow for much greater diversity of choice than the current one. Other changes are being made that will make hybrid builds more feasible and expand the range of build viability for each race.
    Iselin
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    ReeseFlamelocks said:
    Haha, loved the original Arnold movie :D

5 hotkeys, no.  You had a crap load of skills plus everything else you're managing (healpots, stealth).

Playing the piano.
    Maybe mixing it with the directionals, Reese, the keys you use A LOT compared to the rest of the piano, to actually "build" your combos on melee classes, those are indeed 5. (top left/right, bottom left/right, and overhead)
    Beyond those only your taste/style is the limit, many players run with custom UIs and 3 or 4 rows of hotbars, full of clicky stuff.

Agree with Twisted, give it a spin. You can play pretty much for free, basically you don't need to subscribe until the endgame (at that point the cap of 10 gold becomes far too annoying), the PvE server is decently crowded on low levels and the end (maybe harder to find groups in the middle), and the bugs are mostly gone.

Can't comment the pvp nor the Sin part, probably my least played class and I rarely pvp. The exception was LotRO, Ettenmoors is/was a fun place.
    I'd suggest that too, but since you mentioned investing a lot of time already into LotRO, maybe an AoC revisit would be better for new experiences.
    TwistedSister77
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038

Someone can correct me, AoC also was one of the first AAA for "in combat" weapon swaps... which is important.  
    Pretty sure I remember UO having in combat weapon swaps, and you could swap in an unlimited number of different weapons at any point.  Not sure if its considered an AAA or not.
    edited February 2021
    Brainy said:

Pretty sure I remember UO having in combat weapon swaps, and you could swap in an unlimited number of different weapons at any point.  Not sure if its considered an AAA or not.
    Yes and no, you had to use tricks and macros to do that... it was not part of core code or combat like AoC.  (Not intended, like a lot of stuff in UO... but it was the wild west of Mmorpgs <3 ).  

AoC purposely built it in.
    Brainy
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,983
    edited February 2021
    FFXIV, SWTOR or TSW Legends may be worth looking at. You are an old gamer, my best advise is to make sure you find a guild that has old gamers in it before you try a new MMO with them, the MMO will seem far better that way.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited February 2021
    I think you should try Dungeons and Dragons again. The game is really amazing in depth. The builds can really be customized and there is so much you can do with the way the stats and weapons work. The encounters really hark back to table top sessions. You will find yourself pouring over builds trying to hone your character and there is a lot of very unique mobs and how you have to deal with them. The traps and dungeons are also well done. 

The other game I would recommend is Guildwars 1. Really a game worth your time.
    Chamber of Chains
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited February 2021
    Age of Conan
    You might be thinking of the 5 step combo's you used to have to do.  If so, than no they got rid of those and I think the most is now just 3 with the majority just 2 step combo's.

I had problems when I first started playing as I couldn't get past 2 of the steps before it timed out.

You should give it another try.  Odd's are your account is still there which means you'll have some benies with it and the F2p model let's you quest all the way up to max level without spending a dime if you want.

I'm also going to put a plug in for Dungeons & Dragons Online.  Also a fairly decent F2p model with 74 lvl 1 to 10 free dungeons and another 25 lvl 11 to 20 free dungeons so you'll get a good look at it prior to having to think about spending any money on it.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2021
    You missed playing the true DIFFERENT mmorpg that also has had more content ideas" not boring lame quests" but CONTENT than any other mmorpg.You will never now have the luxury of experiencing the game as it was released but even still there are some serious QOL improvements that make an older game still very good and still unique.Yes the game also has MANY boring quests but yo uare not required to do them because they do not offer xp as they shouldn't.

Having a sketchy memory of time lines EQ2 MIGHT have been the first to introduce mercs/npc companions "TRUSTS" but i feel like FFXI was the first as it has been the first with many ideas over the years.
    The difference being you can collect MANY npc's to be your companions and call them out to create your own party/group if you so choose or can't find any real players to group with.
    Also VERY notable is the PET class system within FFXI surpasses every other game and EASILY.Why well there is a large variation and the pets act as they do in game and they are very good when compared to other games where you and the pet combined only equal maybe 1 player.

Tank classes,FFXI has several and all very unique to each other and even if not a TRUE tank class,several can be used in a tank role because of the sub class system.SUB class system,again a unique idea that makes classses better than other games.

There is one more thing that makes it great,i play on a private server,costs me NOTHING and allows me to play whenever i want because i don't feel pressured to play everyday because of cost to play.Sure private servers are hit n miss just like any game is but i have found a few that are pretty darn good.

One real fun idea sadly not implemented on private servers is Besieged,the best content idea ever made in a mmorpg.Campaign and some other content is also missing on private servers,maybe one day but still plenty to do and enjoy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189
    It sounds like you liked DAOC's and Shadowbane's styles. If so, you should really consider trying Champions of Regnum. Has the same style of combat and RvR as DAOC, with more updated gfx and artwork. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Considering your long history of playing games right at or even before launch, you could try having another look at games you've enjoyed in the past.  A lot has changed since launch.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    You seem to like realms vs realms.

I am going to suggest trying Crowfall, it's in EA state right now, but it's might be what you are looking for.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    After reading the commentary regarding AoC, I downloaded and started playing it yesterday because it is a game that I skipped over in 2008. I'm actually enjoying it so far. I'm playing a Stygian demonologist and at low level can defeat 1-on-3 at the same level. Enjoying what you're doing is what it's all about, correct ?  :)
    Po_ggTwistedSister77Scot
    edited February 2021
    After reading the commentary regarding AoC, I downloaded and started playing it yesterday because it is a game that I skipped over in 2008. I'm actually enjoying it so far. I'm playing a Stygian demonologist and at low level can defeat 1-on-3 at the same level. Enjoying what you're doing is what it's all about, correct ?  :)
    It really is correct, have fun :)
    And don't worry about difficulty, low levels (Tortage) is just kinda tutorial, besides the Bat demon, and maybe the leader of the Black Ones (depends on the class) you can go through it all, solo and smoothly.

Later you'll have a bit more of a struggle, the familiar's damage will drop, and you'll start to "feel" the drawbacks of the cloth armour...
    Regardless, demo is a fun class all along, and the familiar can pull out mobs from a pack like a real pro.
    Abscissa15
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Enjoying what you're doing is what it's all about, correct ?  :)

Opinions vary, extensively, depending on how close what you enjoy is to that of the one making the evaluation.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Po_gg said:
    It really is correct, have fun :)
    And don't worry about difficulty, low levels (Tortage) is just kinda tutorial, besides the Bat demon, and maybe the leader of the Black Ones (depends on the class) you can go through it all, solo and smoothly.

Later you'll have a bit more of a struggle, the familiar's damage will drop, and you'll start to "feel" the drawbacks of the cloth armour...
    Regardless, demo is a fun class all along, and the familiar can pull out mobs from a pack like a real pro.
    Pogg is correct here. Demo is a powerful class, but he doesn't offer that much in the way of single target. So, my suggestion would be just to draw ever increasing mobs and blow them apart with Inferno of Amher and ... (its Ltng variant). Or just focus on one element, but be aware that its strength is AoE.

Also, some classes(like Guard or DT, Templar ESPECIALLY) get shafted early on, like big time! If you try the DT, you'd probably go around thinking: "wtf is this shit?" while later on you will think: "wtf is this shit?"(just due to entirely different reasons). And Guardian, woops! You actually need to level the SHARED SOLDIER tree, not your unique ones, to get most out of it! I could outtank whole rooms, whole areas sometimes, while regen-ing like a Wolverine and reflecting damage left, right and center. But unless you do EXACTLY what I tell you, you will have a miserable Guardian time.

Shouldn't be so, but eh.
    Po_gg
    Gorwe said:
    Also, some classes(like Guard or DT, Templar ESPECIALLY) get shafted early on, like big time! 
    It wasn't uncommon in those days, and since AoC was left behind by Funcom for a while now, it didn't get the "streamlining" treatment its contemporary fellow games did. For better or worse, that's up to personal tastes, I prefer it this way...

If one doesn't mind the challenge I'd also suggest the HoX.
    A real powerhouse at the end, but can struggle even in Tortage (when a bad pull or ill-timed mob respawn happens, with multiple ranged mobs around), and even moreso in the middle levels.

Melee mage with sword in cloth armour, only Funcom can come up with ideas like that... what could go wrong when most melee mobs in the game hit like a truck? :)
    (not complaining, it's really fun to play, and it has a demon form for those tough situations)
    Gorwe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,983
    Interesting to hear back from the OP when he gives a suggestion a try.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2021
    Po_gg said:
    Gorwe said:
    Also, some classes(like Guard or DT, Templar ESPECIALLY) get shafted early on, like big time! 
    It wasn't uncommon in those days, and since AoC was left behind by Funcom for a while now, it didn't get the "streamlining" treatment its contemporary fellow games did. For better or worse, that's up to personal tastes, I prefer it this way...

A real powerhouse at the end, but can struggle even in Tortage (when a bad pull or ill-timed mob respawn happens, with multiple ranged mobs around), and even moreso in the middle levels.

Melee mage with sword in cloth armour, only Funcom can come up with ideas like that... what could go wrong when most melee mobs in the game hit like a truck? :)
    (not complaining, it's really fun to play, and it has a demon form for those tough situations)
    HoX? Why is it problematic in mid levels? I mean, you can get like 2 free lives by ~45 or so. But, then again, we'd need to define "mid levels". But it shares the nasty trait with Guardian. If you don't do EXACTLY what is expected of you, you'll have a miserable time.

With that said, I always loved myself some Barbarian. I used to just take Dual Wield(ridiculously fun) and the 2H stance(Bloodlust is it?). This way you have phenomenal healing AND dps, it's beautiful! Ofc, do take a proper stance in group instances, don't ruin other people's time with bright ideas.

Oh and Deft Strike spam as a Ranger. Properly executed, it is retardedly powerful. That means more than simply spamming DS.

AoC was good and fun(except huge travel times, I hated those ; but then again, I dislike Open World to begin with ; yeah I'm weird), but I like my Hardcore and Hardcore and Online don't really see eye to eye. I even kicked up enough dirt so they enabled Stygian DTs(really, next to no reason not to have these). The power of willpower, huh.
    edited February 2021
    Gorwe said:
    Po_gg said:
    Gorwe said:

HoX? Why is it problematic in mid levels? I mean, you can get like 2 free lives by ~45 or so. But, then again, we'd need to define "mid levels". But it shares the nasty trait with Guardian. If you don't do EXACTLY what is expected of you, you'll have a miserable time.

With that said, I always loved myself some Barbarian. I used to just take Dual Wield(ridiculously fun) and the 2H stance(Bloodlust is it?). This way you have phenomenal healing AND dps, it's beautiful! Ofc, do take a proper stance in group instances, don't ruin other people's time with bright ideas.

Oh and Deft Strike spam as a Ranger. Properly executed, it is retardedly powerful. That means more than simply spamming DS.

AoC was good and fun(except huge travel times, I hated those ; but then again, I dislike Open World to begin with ; yeah I'm weird), but I like my Hardcore and Hardcore and Online don't really see eye to eye. I even kicked up enough dirt so they enabled Stygian DTs(really, next to no reason not to have these). The power of willpower, huh.
    AoC also brought MMORPGs fatalities.  Barbarians had some of the coolest ones.  Functionally, they were important and you could spec into higher chance to land them (insta kill when a enemy had roughly  <20% health and you are immune from all incoming damage & CC while performing the animation).
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2021
        WAaaAAaaAaGGAGGggagHhHHhhh!!!!!!   

And its completely Free
    TwistedSister77GorweScot
  • ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited February 2021
    Scot said:
    Interesting to hear back from the OP when he gives a suggestion a try.

cheyane said:
    I think you should try Dungeons and Dragons again. The game is really amazing in depth. The builds can really be customized and there is so much you can do with the way the stats and weapons work. The encounters really hark back to table top sessions. You will find yourself pouring over builds trying to hone your character and there is a lot of very unique mobs and how you have to deal with them. The traps and dungeons are also well done. 

The other game I would recommend is Guildwars 1. Really a game worth your time.
    Scot,

I'm giving GW2 another try, and AoG. Going to also try DDO again. I remember hitting the backwards key 10-15 times to back-flip to get out of the way. Especially with their 360 move.  Those damn trolls. Hell, they hurt.