Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Releases their First Newsletter of 2021 - Talks Realms and Races | MMORPG.com

Comments

• Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 333

Less concept art

More game

They are releasing pictures, because they have nothing else going on, not a game to begin with.

I think the same situation is with Pantheon - each time I see news about it on some MMO news website, sometimes there is a video livestream and it's just a couple hours of two talking heads, they don't even show a single picture, just yapping away about some boring crap that nobody cares about.

Are you serious? They've been releasing actual gameplay videos with Cohh Carnage for the past 4 years, what rock have you been hiding under?
    Kyleranstrawhat0981Viper482
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,984
    Combspe said:
    They didn't kick my kitten, they shit on it.
    Oh.. well thanks for clearing that up. Continue then.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Ungood said:
    Why ya all shitting on them?

Did they kick your kitten or something?

1)  Original expected release date of 2015.  Now almost six years late, and still in a state that shouldn't even be called a beta.

2)  Decided to use development resources on a second game that backers never asked for, and didn't bother telling backers about it for months.

3)  Months behind on promised refunds.

4)  Heavy-handed moderation on YouTube comments and likes/dislikes and on the official forums and Discord.

5)  Still hiding behind an NDA despite claims of huge improvements to the game.

6)  The head of the studio, Mark Jacobs, acting extremely unprofessionally by picking fights with commenters on MOP and Reddit.
    BruceYeeUngoodtzervo
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member UncommonPosts: 320

Ungood said:

They originally launched their kickstarter for this game in 2013 with a delivery/launch date of 2015. In that time they have produced next to nothing tangible. Their updates 8 years later are still concept art pics. They actually, instead of working on the game people gave them money to make, decided to make another game and launch it before they even finish this one. Whether they used backer money for Camelot Unchained for their other game is unknown but suspected. I used to be a Jacobs defender during the Warhammer problems because EA and all. But this project is probably the second biggest fraud of an MMO that has happened right behind Chonicles of Elyria. Hell in some way worse because at least COE was rank amateurs, Jacobs created and launched 2 large scale MMO's and one of them is still celebrated as one of the best MMO's ever. What City State and Camelot Unchained is borderline criminal at this point and they are the sole reason I'll never back another game on kickstarter.
    BruceYee
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,141
    Just stop this vapor already.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,165
    Rhoklaw said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:

Less concept art

More game

They are releasing pictures, because they have nothing else going on, not a game to begin with.

I think the same situation is with Pantheon - each time I see news about it on some MMO news website, sometimes there is a video livestream and it's just a couple hours of two talking heads, they don't even show a single picture, just yapping away about some boring crap that nobody cares about.

That's simply not true regarding Pantheon. Here is a 2 hour video of them actually playing the game as a group of five, and this is not the only video they have posted featuring gameplay.

Yeah, but who exactly is "playing" in the video, Developers right?

Most of their videos are dungeon crawls with little evidence of open world content.

Don't forget, they recently admitted to resetting development a year or so back so most videos previously shared are of a world which is mostly back at gray box level.

Don't assume their recent dog and pony show created to lure in new investors is anything more than a marketing gimmick, they really don't have much in the way of playable content and are way behind CU in terms of progress which isn't saying much of course.

I can't believe you just claimed Pantheon is way behind CU in terms of progress. What exactly has CU shown us that in any way shows progress other than a few hours of huge battles in a controlled environment? That's the only video footage I've seen of CU, while Pantheon has shown several lengthy videos of world and content areas, climate system, climbing, perception storylines and some other minor advancements.
    Every backer has been able to see the progress (or lack thereof) for a several years now.  They are basically running a 24x3 test envs which Pantheon is no where near doing yet.

As Mark isn't trying to market the game to anyone for more funding, he's not bothering to flood YouTube with videos of gameplay that for the most part was all made largely irrelevant about a year or so back.

Pantheon basically has one small dungeons crawl which they are using to solicit investors, everything else is just a smokescreen.

Gaah, can't believe you found a to get me defending CU, but holding up Pantheon as anything more than a glorified tech demo is just slated to fail.

Come see me again once the backers have regular access to a test envs which contains any evidence of a world outside of the demo.
    tzervoYashaXTorval

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Syphin_B said:

Less concept art

More game

Are you serious? They've been releasing actual gameplay videos with Cohh Carnage for the past 4 years, what rock have you been hiding under?
    Yet another who really doesn't know, let's not tell him about the code reset a year or so back which inherently invalidated all video progress before then, since they were just a shell game to keep funding rolling in.
    tzervoYashaX

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tzervotzervo Member EpicPosts: 1,588
    Kyleran said:
    Gaah, can't believe you found a to get me defending CU, but holding up Pantheon as anything more than a glorified tech demo is just slated to fail.
    Lol. Yep, coffee spitted out, gone with the wind. Cleaning to do...
    KyleranUngoodTorval
    I can't tell if I am on the CU or the PRotF topic, still working on my 1st cup of coffee, and they both look vastly the same as far as outrage goes, I wager for largely the same reasons.

Anyway, for anyone wondering, playing Crowfall graybox, was awesome!

I sincerely think that these Crowed Funded developers would be better served to take a good look at how Crowfall did things, and even a in rough, raw, and unfinished state, they let their backers jump into a Graybox World and play, just to get a feel for what is going on.

For me personally, It was really cool to see the game evolve as I played it, going into the main keep and seeing the details get added with each update.. like "Ooo so that is what those statues are supposed to look like"

Even things like "Ah I see we don't have the endless mats button enabled anymore, gonna have to see how this is really supposed to work. off to break some stones"

It was things like that, was just this really great experience for me with Crowfall, which is why I defend the game, even if it is not "Live" yet. I've played it, albeit in a rough state, like being on a construction site watching the whole building form around you, it's really an amazing experience to witness that for a game.  

And Perhaps other developers really should pull a leaf from Crowfall's book and start to the same, it would do a great deal to quell the people who want to see what the game is like and what progress is being made in a real time feeling.

Just my feels on the matter.
    TwistedSister77tzervoKyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member RarePosts: 839
    Ungood said:
    I can't tell if I am on the CU or the PRotF topic, still working on my 1st cup of coffee, and they both look vastly the same as far as outrage goes, I wager for largely the same reasons.

I sincerely think that these Crowed Funded developers would be better served to take a good look at how Crowfall did things, and even a in rough, raw, and unfinished state, they let their backers jump into a Graybox World and play, just to get a feel for what is going on.

For me personally, It was really cool to see the game evolve as I played it, going into the main keep and seeing the details get added with each update.. like "Ooo so that is what those statues are supposed to look like"

Even things like "Ah I see we don't have the endless mats button enabled anymore, gonna have to see how this is really supposed to work. off to break some stones"

It was things like that, was just this really great experience for me with Crowfall, which is why I defend the game, even if it is not "Live" yet. I've played it, albeit in a rough state, like being on a construction site watching the whole building form around you, it's really an amazing experience to witness that for a game.  

And Perhaps other developers really should pull a leaf from Crowfall's book and start to the same, it would do a great deal to quell the people who want to see what the game is like and what progress is being made in a real time feeling.

I have to agree, Crowfall seems to be the legit crowd funded game.  Was in their free open beta few months back... still needs polish of course... but it's a real game.  (Maybe not everyone's cup of tea).

Done on a much smaller budget than CU and a fraction of the beast Starcitizen.
    Ungoodtzervo
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,423
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

It's just what we do here, especially for truly incompetent dev efforts, which this one clearly is.

Original promised delivery date...2015

Yet 5 years later and they are showing off their concept art.

Time to add more to the pile

When I first hear a game announced in development, I have a certain amount of time I give it......When it goes beyond that number, then I lose interest and move on....THis ship sailed long ago.
    TorvalMendel
    Ungood said:

I have to agree, Crowfall seems to be the legit crowd funded game.  Was in their free open beta few months back... still needs polish of course... but it's a real game.  (Maybe not everyone's cup of tea).

Exactly. 

In fact, even after a few hundred to jump in as a backer, it turned out to be, not what I was looking for, I have zero regrets.

Because I got to watch a game get developed around me as I played it, it was amassing, and worth every penny to see that happen.

Yah it still needs a LOT of work, polish, right now it's going through system revamps, and I think some features still need to put in, changed, removed?

In fact, I am not sure if they put in mounts yet, and truth be told, that was hilarious that they put in the "Mount Feature" IE: You could activate your mount, but without the mount itself being graphically present.. that was hilarious. 

But honestly, I think more of these Crowed funded MMO's should look at what Crowfall is doing, and really take a strong consideration to follow the same path.

And for anyone looking for a very transparent and honest, Crowd Funded MMO, Crowfall is there for you, no gimmicks, no tricks, you can log in and play their rough ass game and literally watch the development unfold step by step, first hand as you play, you can watch the vides of behind the scenes on what they just did, and all that.

While not a game for me, it just does not click with me well, It was still an amazing experience, and I for one and glad to have been a part of it, and anyone looking for a Realms vs realms MMO, check out Crowfall.
    tzervo
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,404
    tzervo said:
    Kyleran said:
    Lol. Yep, coffee spitted out, gone with the wind. Cleaning to do...

I have the privilege of gaming with Kyleran on Discord. I get to read that post in his irritated, "this makes no sense", "I can't believe I have to say this outloud" voice. Hahaha
    tzervoKyleran
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

edited February 1
    Ungood said:
    I am really happy to hear that from you guys, because I also hear negative things as well. This means that it is probably shaping up to be a good game and the rest is just a matter of preferences/taste (I get the same vibes from New World as well). On paper it sounds really interesting and I am looking forward to checking it out. Given the amount of videos of gameplay in YT it definitely looks miles ahead of the other games in development.
    UngoodTwistedSister77
  • KovaiKovai Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Early on this was by far the #1 game I was interested in playing. Now every time I see a post it's a joke. A really bad joke.
    YashaX
    edited February 1
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    I am really happy to hear that from you guys, because I also hear negative things as well. This means that it is probably shaping up to be a good game and the rest is just a matter of preferences/taste (I get the same vibes from New World as well). On paper it sounds really interesting and I am looking forward to checking it out. Given the amount of videos of gameplay in YT it definitely looks miles ahead of the other games in development.
    Eh.. I think I might be under some NDA or whatever still.

But, I think way too many people walked into the Pre-Alpha/Graybox setting not realizing that this was going to be a rough game.

One thing that  heard a lot of fuss about was combat, and to be fair, those objections were well founded at that time, because the animations were lacking, delayed, and in some cases, simply not there at all, it didn't feel like you were actively fighting, combat felt kludgey, awkward, lacking,.. but.. Again.. Alpha. They smoothed a lot of that up later.

Which was super cool, to later being playing and realizing "Oh.. so that's what the mob was hitting me with" because their charge attack animation had not been put in when you first fought them, and now you see what was knocking you down.

But I get that for people looking for a Realms vs Realms games, combat was going to be a huge point for them, but you got to know what you are dealing with, it's like walking into a construction site and realizing that it's only half done, no.. you can't use the bathroom, because neither the water or sewer is hooked up.

Anyway, yah.. Crowfall I think did the best by it's backers, to just put out what they had, as they had it, and say "Pre-alpha folks, check it out, yes, we are going to wipe, no, it's not done yet, yes we know that wall and those several features and that class is still missing, thank you"
    tzervoTwistedSister77
    edited February 1
    Ungood said:
    One thing that  heard a lot of fuss about was combat, and to be fair, those objections were well founded at that time, because the animations were lacking, delayed, and in some cases, simply not there at all, it didn't feel like you were actively fighting, combat felt kludgey, awkward, lacking,.. but.. Again.. Alpha. They smoothed a lot of that up later.
    Another complaint I heard about the combat was that it was very floaty. But, even though I can appreciate some weight in combat (I loved BDO and MHW combat), I also liked Wildstar and GW2 combat and they were floaty too. Crowfall gives me GW2 vibes in this respect.

I am not sure it is under NDA. You can find lots of gameplay vids in YT.
    Ungood
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,376
    Well at least we know the concept artist is doing a good job.

Usually concept art is in a gallery that I scroll through on the webpage but not here. With Camelot Unchained the focus is the concept art.

What? Eight years in? More concept art.

Could they show the game? Is that a crazy idea?
    Slapshot1188Torval

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    Another complaint I heard about the combat was that it was very floaty. But, even though I can appreciate some weight in combat (I loved BDO and MHW combat), I also liked Wildstar and GW2 combat and they were floaty too. Crowfall gives me GW2 vibes in this respect.

I am not sure it is under NDA. You can find lots of gameplay vids in YT.
    Gonne be honest, I have no idea what you mean by floaty.

So...... I can't comment on that.

It does have "assisted" targeting, not direct Action Combat, is that what they mean by floaty?
    Ungood said:

Err, point of order, Crowfail's published total funding to date is $38M while by best accounts CU stands around $20M

https://crowfall.com/en-US/funding

Ungoodtzervo

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Err, point of order, Crowfail's published total funding to date is $38M while by best accounts CU stands around $20M

Just gonna say, a lot of that leg ahead money might have come from them having a working game for the last year or so.

Being able to log in and play the game, does a lot to get people willing to buy your product, even if it's not finished yet.
    Kylerantzervo
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Just gonna say, a lot of that leg ahead money might have come from them having a working game for the last year or so.

Being able to log in and play the game, does a lot to get people willing to buy your product, even if it's not finished yet.
    Have to agree, just look at the money Roberts Industries is raking in, like Scrouge McDuck diving into his cash.

tzervocheyaneUngood

edited February 2
    Ungood said:
    Strikes do not feel very impactful, with little weight. I can only explain it with examples. GW2 combat is slightly floaty. MHW combat has more weight. It's just the impression that the combat leaves, nothing objective to it.
    Ungood
    edited February 2
    tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    Strikes do not feel very impactful, with little weight. I can only explain it with examples. GW2 combat is slightly floaty. MHW combat has more weight. It's just the impression that the combat leaves, nothing objective to it.
    Hey, I'm glad you're debating a game's mechanics in prelaunch.  You said you didn't play it.  The devs are are working on it.  

The fact is, there was an open beta... you didnt play it.  I personally NEVER preorder or FUND a game (I have offered to fund development hours on established launched games to fix stuff for the community).  

So I am not endorsing this game, but it is a rare gem that will make it to market and not be a total POS.

This game is launching... unlike so many others.

Ps when an MMORPG has a free beta, I'm in to try.  I was in so many.  Mortal Online 2 was my last.  I want to be positive, but I have to be objective.  I give feedback to their forums and bug reports. 
    Post edited by TwistedSister77 on
    edited February 2
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

Yeah, this is total BS.  Anyone believe "best accounts" CU raised only 20M?  7 years... really?