Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online's Next Chapter is Blackwood, Launches June 1 on PC and June 8 on Console | MMOR

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 7,110
edited January 26 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online's Next Chapter is Blackwood, Launches June 1 on PC and June 8 on Console | MMORPG.com

Zenimax Online has just unveiled Blackwood, the next chapter in Elder Scrolls Online as part of their Gates of Oblivion year-long adventure.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 9,077
    edited January 26
    They are redoing the Champion Points system tomorrow as well. Up to 3600 CP now.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,803
    THE best MMO on the market and it keeps getting better, I love the new CP system it looks fun
    TheAmirAlomar
    "Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"What does it mean to be human? In a time when people's humanity is perennially called into question?"
    - Dr. Cornell West

"Being “colorblind” is not the solution to racism. See people fully. Love people deeply"
    -Bernice King

"Putting a woman, a person of color, a queer character, a disabled character (in games) isn't some agenda, it's making games that reflect the world we live in." 

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, yes you've heard what I've heard

• Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 3,292
    Another DLC disguised and priced as an expansion....and more things to put in the cash shop. So done being suckered by these clowns lol. Y'all enjoy....
    BanegrivmFrodoFraginsRhoklawAlomarNecroma
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 15,111
    edited January 27
    Tiller said:
    They are redoing the Champion Points system tomorrow as well. Up to 3600 CP now.
    That's not the big change. The change is that you can no longer use all available passives. You now need to choose a maximum of 12 out of the 36 to use.

So although the max CPs will be 3600 you only really need 1200 to max your build. Anything above that is convenience and doesn't make you more powerful. It just gives you the ability to swap out which 12 of the 36 you use without needing to respec.
    TorvalScottJeslisAlomar
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    edited January 27

Iselin said:

Tiller said:

That's not the big change. The change is that you can no longer use all available passives. You now need to choose a maximum of 12 out of the 36 to use.

So although the max CPs will be 3600 you only really need 1200 to max your build. Anything above that is convenience and doesn't make you more powerful. It just gives you the ability to swap out which 12 of the 36 you use without needing to respec.

aye...They figured it would cut down on server side lag with less info being passed back and forth per action.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Tiller said:

Iselin said:

Tiller said:

aye...They figured it would cut down on server side lag with less info being passed back and forth per action.
    Speaking of server side lag, they also announced they're upgrading all their server HW... we'll see how that goes :)
    ScottJeslis
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020

Iselin said:

Tiller said:

Iselin said:

Tiller said:

Speaking of server side lag, they also announced they're upgrading all their server HW... we'll see how that goes :)

Yeah caught that as well. Been same HW since 2014 lol.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,803
    We are also getting companions and that's interesting. naming mine Stuck-In-Doors LOL

haha Interested in how they are going to work? Im sure you can't use em for PVP.. but trials? Interesting. It's pretty cool that you can pick their abilities and how they look. 
    TorvalScottJeslis
    "Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"What does it mean to be human? In a time when people's humanity is perennially called into question?"
    - Dr. Cornell West

"Being “colorblind” is not the solution to racism. See people fully. Love people deeply"
    -Bernice King

"Putting a woman, a person of color, a queer character, a disabled character (in games) isn't some agenda, it's making games that reflect the world we live in." 

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, yes you've heard what I've heard

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,409

klash2def said:

We are also getting companions and that's interesting. naming mine Stuck-In-Doors LOL

haha Interested in how they are going to work? Im sure you can't use em for PVP.. but trials? Interesting. It's pretty cool that you can pick their abilities and how they look. 

Whoa we are? color me intrigued.

Torvalfoppotee
    Sovrath said:

klash2def said:

It's like a GW1 revival! :)

You can also gear them up so it sounds like a pretty good companion system.

SovrathTorvalfoppotee
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 665
    I love ESO but sadly it'll be just like all the other "Chapters" where you can complete the storyline in a day or two, explore and complete all delves, open world dungeon and side quests and then be done with it. They really need to invent something new to add. It's rinse and repeat time and time again unfortunately. With all the resources they have, you think they could do better but it might just come down to lack of creativity
    Viper482TillerAlomarfoppoteeMikeJezZ
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 4,986
    edited January 27
    nm
  • TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 483
    Are they fixing the combat?
    No?
    Still hard pass then.
    Viper482AlomarGreatswordKruzilValdheimGorweMikeJezZ

Tiller said:

Iselin said:

Tiller said:

Not sure how when No-CP Cyrodiil is just as laggy as normal when all pops are locked.
    Alomar

I love ESO but sadly it'll be just like all the other "Chapters" where you can complete the storyline in a day or two, explore and complete all delves, open world dungeon and side quests and then be done with it. They really need to invent something new to add. It's rinse and repeat time and time again unfortunately. With all the resources they have, you think they could do better but it might just come down to lack of creativity

This is all they do now, sell you a zone with a watered down story and focus on cash shop items to sell. I can't believe this is still so popular, the quality has gone way down.
    TheAmirAlomarGorweFrodoFragins
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,550
    edited January 27
    You just described pretty much every expansion for any MMO that has ever been released. How often have players for WoW, FFXIV or similar MMOs come back for the new expansion, blaze through the content in 2 to 3 months and then unsubscribe? Except with ESO, there is no need for a subscription, so people are less inclined to do that but rather take their time enjoying the story and whatever new features have been added.
    TorvalAlomar

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,302
    klash2def said:

Hope the companions are more than window dressing...like they can actually heal, tank, fight....even to a fraction of what a player can do it could get me back to try it out.  
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,302
    When will loot crates we removed...can not stand them....
    AlomarValdheim

Horusra said:

When will loot crates we removed...can not stand them....

About the same time they fix animation cancelling and their horrific combat system.

Y'know.

Never.
    AlomarValdheimGorwe

• templargatemplarga Member UncommonPosts: 1,965
    edited January 27

Sovrath said:

klash2def said:

Regarding companions, this is the most imformative article I have found so far. I do think they will have more to them than just followers:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-elder-scrolls-online/skyrim-companions I posted this while MMORPG was posting theirs so that article is good too. :)
    Sovrath
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,409
    templarga said:

Sovrath said:

klash2def said:

Regarding companions, this is the most imformative article I have found so far. I do think they will have more to them than just followers:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-elder-scrolls-online/skyrim-companions I posted this while MMORPG was posting theirs so that article is good too. :)
    Thanks, good article. While playing with people is a bit more fun in an mmorpg, there is no immersion.

I like the idea of a companion of some sort to help out.
    templargaTorval
  • templargatemplarga Member UncommonPosts: 1,965

Sovrath said:

templarga said:

Sovrath said:

klash2def said:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-elder-scrolls-online/skyrim-companions

I posted this while MMORPG was posting theirs so that article is good too. :)

Thanks, good article. While playing with people is a bit more fun in an mmorpg, there is no immersion.

Agreed. Its an option and I like that. I am not a hardcore gamer so sometimes I come late to games or expansions. Rarely do I exhaust content at launch. Often what happens is that the majority of players have either A - exhausted the content and do not do it so you sit in a dungeon finder for hours; or B - Are tired of doing the same content over and over for the thousandth time. And I get it.

Playing a lot of Destiny right now but some of the strikes and dungeons are hard because I am trying to learn the content and mechanics but people fly through it or take short cuts. Same thing happened with WOW - after a while, people expect all players to breeze through content so newer players (or returning players) get ostracized when trying to learn.

This companion system might be able to help with that and that is cool.
    TorvalValdheim
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,869
    templarga said:
    Sovrath said:
    templarga said:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-elder-scrolls-online/skyrim-companions

I posted this while MMORPG was posting theirs so that article is good too. :)

Agreed. Its an option and I like that. I am not a hardcore gamer so sometimes I come late to games or expansions. Rarely do I exhaust content at launch. Often what happens is that the majority of players have either A - exhausted the content and do not do it so you sit in a dungeon finder for hours; or B - Are tired of doing the same content over and over for the thousandth time. And I get it.

Playing a lot of Destiny right now but some of the strikes and dungeons are hard because I am trying to learn the content and mechanics but people fly through it or take short cuts. Same thing happened with WOW - after a while, people expect all players to breeze through content so newer players (or returning players) get ostracized when trying to learn.

This companion system might be able to help with that and that is cool.
    Playing with others can be fun. I want to like playing with others in MMOs like I used to, but the quality of social interaction has declined from my perspective. For example, I enjoy playing with my Fallout group, but rare is the event now that doesn't have some obnoxious jerk player selfishly or griefing and ruining it. It doesn't take much to play cooperatively, but it seems that people can't be assed to put forth the effort.

I also played Destiny 2 a while back and enjoyed the world content the most. Strikes were hard to get into for all the reasons you mentioned. That put me off playing.

If companions end up being a good addition I might revisit ESO. It's been a long time since I've played.
    Valdheim
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 382
    I really don't like ESO. I have tried to like it multiple times, but...it's just too weird to me. I prefer something simple to use(like AMEs from SWTOR) while gearing and leveling and it's just not there in ESO(not without joining crafting guilds). And the combat...combat is dreadfully dull. I mean, in theory it should be good, but in practice you just spam the same things over and over.

ESO has been one of my biggest disappointments, right after GW 2.

Gorwe said:

I really don't like ESO. I have tried to like it multiple times, but...it's just too weird to me. I prefer something simple to use(like AMEs from SWTOR) while gearing and leveling and it's just not there in ESO(not without joining crafting guilds). And the combat...combat is dreadfully dull. I mean, in theory it should be good, but in practice you just spam the same things over and over.

ESO has been one of my biggest disappointments, right after GW 2.

Same. I've tried it 3 or 4 times and just completely get bored by the combat. Lack of a real AH is also a stupid idea; I don't want to have to join a guild AND pay those people money -just- so we might have a chance to buy a trader in a town and actually sell something. It's beyond -stupid-